Home Blog Page 687

Council closes car parks at selected play areas and country parks across Gedling borough to prevent spread of coronavirus

Gedling Borough Council has today announced it is to close several of its car parks near play areas and open spaces from today to reduce the spread of the coronavirus.

The moves comes following government and police guidelines on social distancing and how people should be exercising.

The car parks affected are as follows:

  • Arnot Hill Park
  • Breckhill Road
  • Burton Road
  • Carlton Hill Recreation ground
  • Church Lane Recreation ground
  • Colwick Rectory
  • Conway Road Recreation ground
  • Killisick Recreation ground
  • Lambley Lane recreation ground
  • Oakdale Road recreation ground
  • Thackery’s Lane Recreation ground
  • Gedling Country Park
  • Bestwood Country Park.

Arnot Hill Park car park and Bestwood Country Park, where the children’s play areas have already been closed in an attempt to reduce social contact.

Onchan-Pavilion
PICTURED: Onchan Park on Oakdale Road in Carlton

The government’s advice to stay at home and only go out to exercise has meant that the council has had to review its parks and open spaces services on a daily basis to decide if it is appropriate to continue. 

The council has said that closures will apply to all visitors with the exception of disabled residents who may need to access the parks for health reasons. These visitors must display blue disabled badges when parking and must follow social distancing measures, as well as parking with at least one space between cars.

Any vehicles not displaying blue badge permits will face enforcement action and the new measures will be reviewed if Government guidance changes on the use of parks. Cars with blue badges must be parked at least one space apart from each other to comply with social distancing rules.

The council said that car parks near town centres and shops will remain open as residents will need access to supplies and will need cars to shop. 

Leader of Gedling Borough Council, Councillor John Clarke said: “Taking action to prevent the spread of this terrible virus is a top priority, therefore we are having to continue to take difficult decisions to help keep everyone as safe as possible.

“Unfortunately, we have been left with no choice but to close car parks as our play areas, parks and open spaces in order to reduce the high numbers of people congregating at our parks and open spaces.

“We know how hard this is for everyone and we know that you are being told to exercise but the Police advice is is that you shouldn’t be driving to a location away from your home to carry this out.”

Police release images of bike stolen from Calverton

Police have released images of two bikes that were stolen during a burglary in Calverton.

Officers have said that the garage door of a house in Crookdole Lane had been forced overnight  on Tuesday, March 17, 2020 and the bike padlocks had been cut.

One of the bikes stolen from a property in Calverton
One of the bikes stolen from a property in Calverton

The bikes are described as a Team Elite TE03 black and green in colour and a white coloured Sirrus Comp.

A spokesman for Nottinghamshire Police said: “If you see these bikes or have any information that could help, please contact us on 101 quoting incident 96 of 18 March. “

You can also call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Top national award for school in Gedling

It may be closed to most pupils for the foreseeable future, but a Gedling school has won a national award for outstanding results – for the second year running.

Carlton le Willows Academy has received two accolades for being in the top 20% of non-selective schools nationally, both for attainment and pupil progress, based on the excellent exam results of students in 2019.

The Educational Outcomes Award from SSAT, the Schools, Students and Teachers network, comes after the network analysed data from the Department for Education and Ofsted, comparing all state-funded schools in England and the highest performing schools for a range of key measures.

Notice of the award was issued just days before schools closed their doors to most students due to the coronavirus pandemic, with a letter from the SSAT saying: “We are committed to recognising the successes of schools in improving the lives of children and the Educational Outcomes Awards are one way that we do this.

 “In light of the current situation we feel it is as important as ever to give recognition to the dedication and hard work of all who work in our schools.”

In summer 2019 the Academy reported outstanding GCSE results, with 64% of students gaining Grade 5 and above in English and maths, and recording a Progress 8 measure above the national average at 0.48.

Packaging firm in Colwick recruits for temporary jobs to meet coronavirus supermarket demand

The Wilkins Group in Colwick has announced it is recruiting temporary staff to meet coronavirus demand for goods from supermarkets..

The firm has revealed that it is offering up to 25 temporary contracts to those effected by the recent job cuts.

The Colwick-based business has long been one of the leading carton packaging suppliers to the retail food industry, which has recently been classed as a ‘key Industry’.  The business is now seeking extra support in the fight to keep the supermarket shelves fully stocked.

Justin Wilkins, sales and marketing director at the firm which recently won the title of Midlands Family Business of the Year, said: “Due to the current global and domestic situation and increased demand, the business is urgently seeking skilled operators from the printing industry. These contracts will be temporary but may turn into permanent roles dependent on future circumstances.”

Wilkins_group
PICTURED: The Wilkins Group headquarters in Colwick

The announcement comes as Tesco, Asda, Aldi, and Lidl said they would hire thousands of staff after hugely increased demand saw shoppers clearing shelves.

The Wilkins Group deals with all of the major supermarkets to produce items such as ready meal cartons, and packaging for confectionary, pastries, quiches, sausage rolls and ice cream, it reached a group turnover of £36M last year.

Justin, from the business which has 294 staff in the UK, added: “We are all working in unchartered waters, and we would really love to give temporary contracts to those most effected by the job cuts announced in the last few weeks.”

 If you are interested in applying, please contact The Wilkins Group HR team on hr@wilkins.co.uk

Bladed weapon seized during police operation in Arnold

Police have seized a bladed weapon in Arnold as part of an operation aimed at reducing crime across the borough.

Nottinghamshire Police’s Knife Crime Team seized the bladed weapon during a proactive work as part of Operation Sceptre.

The knife crime week of action includes a series of targeted operations and activities such as weapons sweeps in public areas.

Bladed hoe recovered by police
PICTURED: A bladed hoe recovered in Arnold

During their patrols in the the area yesterday (Wednesday, March 25), the team stopped a vehicle in the Lidl car park in Mansfield Road and recovered a bladed garden hoe (pictured).

A 25-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of possession of a bladed article in connection with the incident.

The team also gave advice to a number of people on staying home, in line with government guidance on the coronavirus, to help save lives – after seeing some people milling about.

Conviction for drug dealer arrested in Arnold who had cocaine hidden in boxer shorts

A drug dealer who was arrested in Arnold who had hidden cocaine in his boxer shorts has been convicted.

Joe Hornigold , of Windsor Court, Bingham was seen at Nottingham Crown Court earlier this month (March 17, 2020).

He was charged with one count of possession with intent to supply class B drugs (cannabis), one count of possession of class A drug (cocaine) and one count of class A drug (MDMA).

The 23-year-old’s car was stopped on Mansfield Road in Redhill by Neighborhood Policing Officers using a police vehicle equipped with an Automatic Number Plate Recognition camera (ANPR) technology.

This took place on May 3, 2018 and on speaking to the driver the officers could immediately smell cannabis.

Police-notepad
Police searched the man after his arrest in Arnold

His car was searched with a number of drugs being discovered including loose cannabis and MDMA pills which he denied was his was also found, as well as several mobile phones. He was arrested for possession with intent to supply the drugs.

Whilst being strip searched in custody, two more small bags of cocaine was found in his boxer shorts.

The drugs have been valued at around £600. He was given a nine month imprisonment suspended for two years. The drugs were forfeited and is drug paraphernalia was destroyed.

Speaking after his sentencing, Police Sergeant Kulvinder Dosanjh said: “Drug crime can have a devastating impact on people’s lives and Nottinghamshire Police will continue to locate and prosecute those who seek to deal drugs, and ensure they are brought to justice.

“Local policing teams have access to ANPR technology and we will continue to be as proactive as possible to safeguard local communities from the impact of drugs.”

Coronavirus: Changes to Gedling borough bus services introduced today following UK lockdown

Timetables on bus services across the borough have been changed after Prime Minister Boris Johnson put the country into lockdown on Monday (March 23) night.

Nottingham City Transport has announced it will will reduce its service to core routes from today (March 25).

The transport firm said the network will focus on getting as many key workers to their jobs as possible and providing access to essential shops and services for those without cars.

The same timetable will operate on every day of the week, with a basic 30 minute daytime service on most routes. An hourly early morning and evening service will also operate on most of these routes.                                    

44-bio-bus
Red 44,

The routes that will operate across Gedling borough are:

  • Pathfinder 26 – Nottingham, Gedling, Burton Joyce, Lowdham and Southwell   This route will be exact fare only, no change from the driver. An hourly daytime service will run.
  • Lilac 27 – City and Carlton
  • Blue 39 – City, Thorneywood Mount and Carlton Valley
  • Red 44 – City, Sneinton Hermitage, Colwick, Netherfield and Gedling
  • Sky Blue 45 – City, Mapperley and Gedling
  • Lime 58 – City, Sherwood and Arnold

David Astill, NCT commercial and operations Director said: “It is very clear that people must stay at home unless it is for essential travel, as outlined by the Prime Minister.

“There has already been a significant fall in bus use in the last few weeks as people started working from home and universities, schools and colleges closed.

“This latest announcement on not leaving home except for limited reasons will further reduce use of our services and we have to curtail what we provide to reflect that.

He added: “All NCT employees have done an excellent job in these difficult times and we thank them for their commitment and continued support”.

Timetables are available online at www.nctx.co.uk and a printed version is in production, which will be posted out on request by calling 0115 950 60 70 or emailing travelcentre@nctx.co.uk 

Bus stops will also be updated as soon as possible.

Gedling borough residents warned of coronavirus scams

HM Revenue and Customs is warning people in Gedling borough to remain vigilant and not fall foul of online scams during the coronavirus outbreak.

The warning comes after a flurry of texts and emails were received in the borough claiming to offer a ‘goodwill payment’ to help the NHS battle coronavirus.

A screenshot of a scam text received claiming to be from HMRC

The link in the crooked communication then takes the receiver to a scam site where they are invited to put in their personal and bank details, which will then be used by the fraudsters to gain access to the victim’s cash.

HM Revenue and Customs issued a tweet telling people to ignore the messages.

The tweet read: “If you receive an email, text or call claiming to be from us that asks you to click on a link or give information such as your name, credit card or bank details, it’s a scam.”

A Netflix scam is also doing the rounds, with an email claiming to be from the streaming giant being received across the borough that wants payment details.

It asks you to click on a link that leads to scam site where you are invited to input fresh payment details – and give a scammer access to your account.

This scam email was received by a Gedling Eye reader

An Action Fraud spokesperson said they had received an increase in reports around coronavirus-related scams.

They said: “We have also received multiple reports about coronavirus-themed phishing emails attempting to trick people into opening malicious attachments or revealing sensitive personal and financial information.

They also urged people to update software on their devices.

An Action Fraud spokesperson said: “Always install the latest software and app updates to protect your devices from the latest threats.”

People can report scams at https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/

Giving for Gedling: Council set up volunteer network to help the vulnerable in borough survive coronavirus

Gedling Borough Council are encouraging kind-hearted volunteers to come together and help the vulnerable across the borough through the coronavirus crisis.

The “Giving for Gedling” Volunteer Network has been launched today (March 24) to help the most vulnerable and elderly residents affected by the coronavirus outbreak  

The network is being organised by the council to co-ordinate and facilitate offers of help from local residents and community groups to support the most vulnerable in the community such as the elderly and those with pre-existing health conditions.

A website www.gedling.gov.uk/givingforgedling has been created that allows volunteers to register their interest in helping and allows any residents who need help to let us know so we can provide support.

Cllr_Michael_Payne
A CHALLENGE: Cllr Michael Payne said ‘the only way to face the challenge of the Coronavirus pandemic is by working together’

The information provided by the volunteers and residents will be compiled by the council to create a database that will be shared as part of the humanitarian effort in response to the outbreak of the Coronavirus (Covid-19).

The council is also asking for local community groups, charities, parish councils to contact the council to add them to the database. 

Deputy leader of Gedling Borough Council, Councillor Michael Payne said: “The community spirit and generosity already shown by so many individuals and our well established community groups and churches, as well as our parish councils has been inspiring and heart-warming. The only way to face the challenge of the coronavirus pandemic is by working together, looking out for one another and all playing our part to shield the most vulnerable and elderly residents in our community.

“The council is committed to mobilising, supporting and encouraging the phenomenal community spirit that exists in Gedling Borough  – our ‘Giving for Gedling’ Volunteer Network is being launched to help keep those wishing to volunteer safe, as well as ensuring volunteering is carried out in a way that protects the most vulnerable and elderly.”

If you can help or need help please get in touch by visiting the website or phoning 0300 500 8080

Bin collections in Gedling borough ‘operating as normal’ during coronavirus lockdown – but residents are being urged to put bin out night before collection

Bin collections are currently ‘operating as normal’, despite the coronavirus crisis, Gedling Borough Council have confirmed.

The leader of Gedling Borough Council, Councillor John Clarke said: “We’re currently operating our refuse collections as normal but there has been some disruption to glass box and garden waste collections as a result of staff shortages.

Bins being collected normally

“We strongly advise that households sign up to our bin alerts emails at gedling.gov.uk/reminder and we will update them if there’s any disruption to their collections.

“We’re retraining and redeploying staff from other departments to make sure we continue to provide the service and we’ll be reviewing this on a daily basis. 

“I’d like to thank all our residents for their support and understanding and I’d also like to thank our refuse crews and their support teams, they are facing a huge challenge at the moment and they are doing a great job.

“Residents are advised to put their bins out the night before a collection is due as some rounds may be collected earlier than usual.