It won’t have escaped anyone that we are in for some challenging times.
As such, Gedling Eye wants to extend a helping hand to any local businesses in desperate need of talent.
We are inviting borough-based companies to send us their job ads that we will run for free on this website so that local people can peruse and apply for new opportunities.
If you’ve been laid off amid the coronavirus pandemic, keep your eyes on Gedling Eye because we’ll be running ads for jobs.
If you’re hiring people on account of a surge in demand for specific resources, or for other reasons, let us know, and we’ll publicise the fact for free every Friday in a roundup of the jobs that we’ve been made aware of.
Things we need to know include: job title, location, key skills and where our readers can apply or find out more info.
With all the uncertainty there’s been in the last few weeks, and the raft of announcements from the Government, it can be a little confusing as to exactly what help is available.
As well as attempting to get on top of the escalating health emergency, the Government has also laid out numerous schemes in an attempt to halt the economic slowdown.
The latest GDP figures are expected on Tuesday, March 31, and it is widely expected the current lockdown will negatively impact the country’s growth.
Technically, talk of a recession is still distant – two consecutive quarters of negative growth are required for this.
But the Government hopes the wide-ranging schemes it has outlined could help keep this talk as distant as possible.
With many businesses in Gedling borough working hard to keep afloat, we’ve set out what help is available to them.
1. The Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme
In terms of the cost to the Government, this is the big one.
The taxman will reimburse 80 percent of workers’ wages – up to £2,500 per month – if they have had to be temporarily laid off but are still on the payroll. These are known as ‘furloughed’ workers.
It’s designed to stop companies having to make people redundant.
It can also be backdated, to March 1, and initially lasts for three months, although chancellor Rishi Sunak has said this will be extended if necessary.
You’re eligible if:
It provides help to any company with a Pay As You Earn (PAYE) tax scheme which was set up on or before February 28.
Companies also have to have a UK bank account.
How to get it…
You’ll need to apply to the Government for this one. You can do that here but not until around the end of April.
2. Business rates holidays
This one is sector specific, and only applies to retail, hospitality and leisure businesses, most of which have been told to close by the Government.
It will mean shops, restaurants, cafes, pubs, cinemas, live music venues and hotels – among others – no longer have to pay any business rates in the upcoming tax year – from Wednesday, April 1.
You’re eligible if:
You can get this tax holiday if your company fits in one of the criteria set out here
How to get it:
You don’t need to do anything. The new business rates bill will be recalculated by your local council and sent out to you.
In some places – including Gedling – bills had already gone out before the new measures were announced, but these should be ignored and companies should wait for a new bill.
The Government has pledged to pay 80% of employees’ wages for three months
3. Support for firms with existing business rate relief schemes
One-off grants of £10,000 are being paid to small businesses which are already in receipt of either small business rate relief or rural rate relief.
You’re eligible if:
You’re an English business that occupies a property, and you were receive small business rate relief or rural rate relief from March 11
How to get it:
You don’t need to do anything. Your local council will write to you if you’re eligible.
4. VAT bill holiday
Companies which have a Valued Added Tax (VAT) payment due between March 20 and June 20 can get a three-month deferral.
Companies also have the choice to pay the bill now, if they want.
You’re eligible if:
Your company is VAT registered and has a VAT payment due within the two dates above
This gives an extra six months for income tax self-assessment.
You’re eligible if:
You are due to pay your second self-assessment payment on July 31. You do not need to be self-employed to be eligible for the deferment.
How to get it:
It’s automatic, with no applications required
6. Support for businesses paying statutory sick pay
Employers who have paid out statutory sick pay for an employee who has been off work as a result of COVID-19 can claim back a refund from the Government
You’re eligible if:
You’re a UK-based company with 250 employees or fewer.
How to get it:
TBC. The Government is still working out the finer details, and these will be announced in due course.
7. Grants for retail, hospitality and leisure businesses
The Retail and Hospitality Grant Scheme provides businesses in the retail, hospitality and leisure sectors with a cash grant of up to £25,000 per property.
You’re eligible if:
Your business is in the retail, hospitality or leisure sector, and has a rateable value of under £51,000
How to get it:
You don’t have to do anything. The council will write to you if you’re eligible
8. Support for nurseries
With many parents keeping their youngsters at home, nurseries have come under significant pressure.
You can get a business rates holiday from April this year until April 2021.
You’re eligible if:
You’re on Ofsted’s early years register, and your occupied building is wholly or mainly used for the provision of the early years foundation stage.
How to get it:
You don’t have to do anything. Councils will re-issue you with a bill
9. Loan scheme
The Government’s temporary coronavirus business interruption loan scheme supports small and medium-sized companies with access to loans, overdrafts, invoice finance and asset finance of up to £5 million and for up to 6 years.
The Government is providing the 40 lenders with a guarantee of 80 percent on each loan.
You’re eligible if:
You’re a UK firm with turnover of less than £45 million a year, and you’re not a bank, trade union, political organisation or insurer. If one of the 40 lenders turns you down, you can apply to others.
Gedling borough’s bulky waste and glass collection services are being suspended due to council staff shortages.
Gedling Borough Council today said it has made the decision to stop all bulky waste and glass collections from Tuesday, March 31 ‘to ensure its critical waste collection services can continue to be prioritised’.
The council blamed reductions in staffing levels and an increase in the amount of waste being created due to people staying at home in response to the Coronavirus outbreak.
Staff from other areas of the Council have been redeployed and trained up to assist waste collection but the pressure on COVID-19 is placing on the council’s frontline workers means there are currently insufficient crews to maintain all waste services at this time.
PICTURED: Gedling Borough Council
Gedling Borough Council said a decision to suspend bulky waste and glass collections ‘will be kept under constant review’.
Any residents who have bulky waste collections already booked will be contacted and given the option to have a refund or to rearrange the collection at a later date.
Portfolio Holder for Environment, Councillor Peter Barnes said: “The decision to suspend collection of bulky waste and glass has not been taken lightly, but it will have the least impact on residents and allow us to prioritise the other more critical waste services.
“For the last couple of weeks our heroic workers have worked hard to maintain all our collections, but it is clear that this is unsustainable at the present time and creates uncertainty for residents.
“Our staff are working tirelessly to make sure we can get the bins emptied especially now more people are at home and, naturally, creating more waste than normal so we need to factor this in.
He added: “We are incredibly grateful for residents’ patience, support and understanding at this difficult and challenging time.”
Neighbourhood police officers have been patrolling Gedling borough to enforce social distancing measures.
Officers are enforcing the government’s latest guidelines to help stop the spread of coronavirus.
Sgt Mike Ebbins from Carlton Neighbourhood Police Team, said “It is pleasing to see that most of our community are taking heed of the government’s advice by staying at home and not gathering in groups.
PICTURED: The new measures are to halt the spread of coronavirus
“People need to be sensible and continue to adhere to the simple instructions provided.
“My team are there to stop groups of people congregating and to ensure people are only making essential journeys. If you have questions or concerns feel free to speak to the officers from a safe distance.
People can only leave their homes for one of the four following reasons: shopping for basic necessities; one form of exercise per day; any medical need or to care for a vulnerable person; or for travel to work if absolutely necessary.
Prime Minister Boris Johnson, in an address to the nation on last Monday, said police will have powers to enforce these rules.
People in Gedling borough are being warned not to fall for a new scam text message doing the rounds which claims they have been fined for stepping outside during the UK coronavirus lockdown.
This is the latest in a series of fake texts doing the rounds that are related to the virus and claims to be from the Government.
It tells the recipient their movements have been monitored using their phone and they must now pay a fine or face a more severe penalty, the Chartered Trading Standards Institute (CTSI) warned.
The scam appeared after Police were given powers to issue on-the-spot fines to those flouting the new measures put in place during the lockdown to prevent the spread of the virus.
CTSI lead officer Katherine Hart said the texts should be ignored.
“I am appalled and infuriated at the ways unscrupulous individuals exploit this situation,” she said.
“Anyone who receives this text should ignore it. It is simply another ruse to steal the payment details of users. Do not “click or tap on any links” in potential scam messages.”
Those who ignore the new tougher restrictions could be hit with a £60 fine initially and another for £120 for a second offence.
A pub and brewery group has launched a hardship fund to help their vulnerable employees working at their businesses in Gedling and Mapperley Top.
Castle Rock, which operates the Bread and Bitter and Willowbrook pubs, has launched a hardship fund to support the company’s most vulnerable staff through the Covid-19 pandemic.
The initiative will be available “from next week”, according to Castle Rock’s managing director, Colin Wilde.
“It’s been possible thanks to various factors, from the early pay sacrifices of the senior management team and directors and the operation of a sound business model,” he said.
In order to apply for the hardship pot, staff must be eligible and the amount of money released will also depend on this criteria. A small senior team has been mobilised to process applications.
Mr Wilde said: “The CV-19 pandemic will have a huge and lasting impact on how businesses operate in the future. We’ve learned lessons and have had ideas that we intend to apply indefinitely and that includes this hardship fund, meaning eligible members of the Castle Rock family will always have access to a small pot of money should they need it in an emergency.
“We can expand on this as matters arise, but I sincerely hope it becomes a permanent fixture in how we look after our colleagues.”
“The Castle Rock Hardship Fund includes a commitment to suppliers of goods and services too. Once received, we will pay them on time, and in full, in recognition that we’re not on our own. Our suppliers will be vital as things get back to normal, an impossibility if they aren’t there.”
Castle Rock intends to pay all staff and suppliers in March and will also be able to cover the 80% pay rate in April – even if the CJRS grant has not been received by then.
Colin is keen to add that there are still many concerns: “We’re certainly not out of the woods. There remains a lot of uncertainty ahead, and we’re still expecting to have to make some difficult decisions. However, we’re doing what we said we’d do from the start, which is to look after the Castle Rock family as best we can, try to keep the economy going, and support our suppliers and peers. And not least to do our upmost to prevent the spread of coronavirus”.
He added: “Our bank, Santander, has been very supportive so we thank them for that. We’d like to thank our landlords for foregoing rent payments for three months and the people we have sold to who have been good enough to pay us.
“Finally, it almost goes without saying that we acknowledge the work of others to protect our industry and our people – the government, campaign groups and our local and national politicians lobbying for support.”
With tensions running high as the country enters its second week of coronavirus lockdown, Nottinghamshire Police is reminding households in Gedling borough about how to report an emergency to 999 when it’s not safe to speak
Superintendent Andrew Gowan, of Nottinghamshire Police, said: “It is vital that our communities understand that we will always endeavour to protect them, even if they are unable to give us information safely.
“We understand that at this unprecedented time, tensions in households can run high and unfortunately, that can lead to incidents that require police to resolve matters.
“Whether it is because you are in immediate danger or because it feels too overwhelming to talk, there is always a way for us to help you.
“If you are in danger, please call 999 and we will come to your aid.”
Police and Crime Commissioner Paddy Tipping added: “I want this message to get out there. It’s so important that those who may need to use this form of contact know about it. We are living through an extraordinary crisis situation and we must do whatever we can to help protect vulnerable people to get through it.
PICTURED: The police call centre
“It is a sad reality that in these times of uncertainty and enforced proximity people become victims of more than the deadly coronavirus. I want to assure them that the police are still there for you and this is another way to contact them if you don’t want to be overheard doing so. It’s another way to stay safe.”
How it works…
When you dial 999 from a mobile, you are put through to a call centre handled by BT operators who ask you which service you require. If you say nothing but something suspicious is heard by the operator, you are immediately transferred to the police.
If making a sound would put you or someone else in danger you will be transferred to the Silent Solution system.
An automated message will then begin that begins with ‘you are through to the police’ – you will then be asked to press 55 to be put through to police call management. This does not allow police to track your location.
A call handler will then ask you yes or no questions to establish the best course of action. If you cannot speak, you need to listen carefully to what they ask you to do.
Please note that this is different for landlines.
When using a landline, if there is no response from a caller, they will be connected to a police call handler immediately.
You should then dial 55 in order to follow the same procedure as above.
Teams from Gedling Borough Council’s leisure services have stepped in to help out on bin rounds across the borough after the coronavirus outbreak caused staff shortages that threatened to impact collections.
A council spokesman said: “Some leisure officers were trained this week and are out on bin collection rounds right now. More are training and will be in new roles soon.”
The leader of Gedling Borough Council, Councillor John Clarke said: “We’re currently operating our refuse collections as normal but there has been some disruption to glass box and garden waste collections as a result of staff shortages.
“We’re retraining and redeploying staff from other departments to make sure we continue to provide the service and we’ll be reviewing this on a daily basis.