Home Blog Page 643

National radio station TalkSPORT will back winners of tonight’s FA Cup game at Carlton Town during Road to Wembley

National radio station talkSPORT has pledged to back the winners of tonight’s FA Cup tie at Carlton Town as they make their way down the Road to Wembley.

The Millers play Loughborough University who were picked out of a hat during TalkSPORT’s breakfast show on Monday, with the national station pledging to back the team during their FA Cup journey.

However, the station told Gedling Eye that if the Millers beat the university side in tonight’s tie, then they will instead start backing Carlton during their cup run.

Carlton-Town

A talkSPORT spokesperson said: “At talkSPORT Breakfast we are backing Loughborough University as our FA Cup team after Laura Woods pulled them out of the talkSPORT hat. We will continue the Road to Wembley with whoever defeats Loughborough University, so Carlton could become our team if they win tonight. The talkSPORT team will be keeping a close eye on tonight’s game.

“The ideal scenario is our side gets one of the big boys in Round 3! ”

Normal admission prices apply to all for this game at £9 Adults, £7 Concessions, £5 Nhs Workers and Students and £2 under 16s.

Decision due on sheltered housing plan for site of former ‘Bruno’ pub in Carlton

Plans to build 23 new sheltered accommodation flats and an office on the site of a former pub in Carlton could be given the green light next week.

If approved, the apartments would be built on land previously occupied by the Earl of Chesterfield pub on Carlton Hill.

The boozer, which was known to locals as ‘The Bruno’, got bulldozed back in 2017 as part of plans for three retail units and 14 two-bedroom apartments.

But the plans were never progressed and the site on Carlton Hill has been standing vacant ever since.

A report is due to go before Gedling Borough Council’s planning committee next week and it recommends that the development plan is approved.

Bruno-pub
The ‘Bruno’ pictured before demolition
Earl of Chesterfield
Empty land where the ‘The Bruno’ once stood
Earl of Chesterfield site
Artist’s impression of the new site submitted back in November

The application was originally submitted by Nottingham Community Housing Association back in November 2019 and is for the erection of 23 social rented sheltered housing one bedroom two person flats. An office will be constructed on the ground floor too.

Whilst under the control of Housing Association there will no permanent on-site staff
and the apartments will be occupied by vulnerable adults with some support needs.

A total of 13 parking spaces are to be provided with vehicular access from
Carlton Hill.

A bin storage area is proposed relatively close to the site entrance and two small ‘courtyard’ areas of amenity space are proposed, one when entering the building from the car park and another close to Southcliffe Road.

The council’s Planning Committee is due to decide whether to approve the scheme at their “virtual” meeting next Wednesday (September 9) starting at 6pm. The meeting is scheduled to be webcast.

Live meeting audio will be available via the Council’s website

Eat Out to Help Out has ended but some Gedling borough pubs and restaurants have started their own offers

The Eat Out to Help Out scheme ended on Monday but the offer has been so successful that some Gedling borough pubs and restaurants are continuing to offer a discount at their own cost.

Under the government initiative diners were able to claim 50 per cent off the cost of food and non-alcoholic drinks eaten-in at participating businesses.

Some 84,000 restaurants, cafes and bars signed up to the scheme, which applied all day Monday to Wednesday from August 3 until Monday (31). The discount was capped at a maximum of £10 per head.

And although the scheme has ended, its popularity has triggered a number of our local pubs and restaurants to offer similar discounts at their own cost.

Here’s what’s on offer…

The Willowbrook, Gedling

The Castle Rock venue in Gedling village is offering 25% off food between Monday and Thursday. The pub serves food at between 3pm-9pm on Monday and Tuesday, and 12pm-9pm on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. You need to book a table to eat in the venue.

Willowbrook Gedling
PICTURED: The Willowbrook in Gedling Village

The Wine Room, Mapperley

Throughout September the bar on Woodborough Road is doing their own ‘Eat Out to Help Out’ by offering 25% off your food bill on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

Gedling Inn, Gedling

The popular pub is offering 2 FOR 1 and also 25% off between Monday and Wednesday throughout September. The offer begins on Monday, September 7. The discount is only available for pre-booked tables. The discounted food is available between 12pm -3pm and 5pm -8pm.

Eagles Corner, Arnold

The pub on Front Street is extending the Eat Out to Help Out scheme for the month of September. The 50% off will apply to food only – there’s no £10 cap. The deal will begin on Tuesday, September 1 until Wednesday, September 30. Please contact the pub to book your table in advance.

Bread and Bitter, Mapperley

This Castle Rock pub will also be offering 25% off your food bill between Monday and Thursday.

Is your pub or restaurant offering special discount over the next few weeks and not on the list? Email our newsdesk to get your venue added: news@gedlingeye.co.uk

Red 44 Racecourse Park & Ride service will restart on Thursday

The Red 44 service will be again called into action to serve the Racecourse Park & Ride site near Colwick when it reopens on Thursday (September 3).

The site was shut during lockdown but will be again open for business.

The Gedling and Netherfield bio-gas buses will again be providing the 10 minute service in to Nottingham City Centre on Monday to Saturday daytimes, with a return journey just £4 per car load.

The opening hours of the site have been extended to be open from 6am – 8.30pm on Mondays to Saturdays.

Social distancing measures are already in place on buses and NCT has been awarded Visit Britain’s official industry “Good to Go” standard, which confirms that we are following industry and Government guidance on COVID-19, social distancing and cleanliness. All NCT buses are fitted with hand sanitiser dispensers for customers to use as they board and alight and signage on board advises how to travel safely.

Nottingham City Council have also put in place social distancing measures at busier bus stops in the City Centre and markings and signs will be installed at the Park & Ride site to encourage social distancing.

Anthony Carver-Smith, NCT marketing manager said, “We look forward to welcoming Racecourse park and ride customers back on our buses from early September, with extended opening hours too. NCT has been awarded official ‘good to go’ accreditation for its response to COVID-19 and a recent survey showed that 90% of customers felt safe whilst travelling”

Councillor Adele Williams, Portfolio Holder for Transport at Nottingham City Council, which owns the site, said: “Racecourse park and ride offers a convenient and great value option, especially for commuters and visitors coming from the east of the city. We’re pleased to be reopening the site ahead of more people returning to their offices and places of work.

“NCT has operated throughout the pandemic, providing essential services for key workers, and we’re confident in the measures they continue to take to keep customers safe while on the bus. We’re all responsible for looking after each other, and I’d encourage customers to follow social distancing guidance and pay attention to markings at the park and ride too.”

MATCH REPORT: Carlton Town 2-1 Nottingham Forest U18s

Goals from Tom Maddison and Tyler Blake saw Carlton Town beat the Nottingham Forest youth side in a testing pre-season encounter at Stoke Lane, writes Alan Murphy

The Millers fielded a strong side with an eye on Wednesday night’s FA Cup tie against Loughborough University.  In the first half they threatened to overwhelm their opponents who played some neat football but looked unable to deal with the physicality of the game.

In front of a crowd of 150 at Carlton’s first ever all-ticket fixture Carlton took the lead on 16 minutes when Aaron Opoku was fouled in the area by Luke Boland and Tom Maddison converted the penalty.

Forest goalkeeper Alex Akers had to go off on 30 minutes following a collision with Opoku with both scrambling for a loose ball and the first task of his replacement Daniel Moore was to pick the ball out of the net as Carlton scored a second when Blake headed home a Lawrence Gorman corner.

PHOTOS: Steve McKeown

Jack Steggles made a smart save in the opening minute of the second half as Forest went at Carlton from the whistle and as the game wore on it was the youngsters who looked the more threatening.

Carlton almost made it 3-0 on 78 minutes when Daryll Thomas headed a Gorman cross against the post but with 20 seconds Forest pulled a goal back.  They broke at pace and Dale Taylor hit a peach of a shot from the edge of the box into Toby Randall’s top corner.

Worse was to come for Randall, who’d only been on the pitch a few minutes, when an underhit back pass from Maddison saw Randall exposed and when he handled the ball outside the area to stop a Forest equaliser the red card that followed was inevitable.

Thomas took over between the sticks for the remaining six minutes of the game and although Forest created a couple of chances they were unable to draw level.

Carlton Town: Steggles (Toby Randall 74), Gorman, Brown (Sturgess 77), Ball (Deft 77), Moore, Maddison, Elliott (Bako 34), Clark (Mabonga 65), Opoku (Thomas 68), Blake, Davie (J Smith 74).

Goals: Maddison 16 (pen), Blake 32; Dale Taylor 78

Police appeal after delivery van is stolen after ‘nasty attack’ on driver in Woodthorpe

Police have launched an investigation after a van was stolen following a ‘nasty attack’ on a delivery driver in Woodthorpe.

Detectives believe three men were involved in the incident in Coronation Road, off Woodthorpe Drive at around 4.35pm on Friday (August 28). Three men are believed to have been behind the attack.

Detective Sergeant Luke Todd said: “This was a nasty attack where a delivery driver has been targeted for the goods in his van.

“The victim suffered a wound to his head which was treated in hospital but luckily wasn’t as serious as it could have been.

Police car siren
Police are investigating the incident

“The van is described as dark coloured Vauxhall panel van.

“We are keen to hear from anyone who might have seen anything suspicious in the area or who might have dash-cam footage that could help.

“It is unacceptable to target a delivery driver as he goes about his job and we won’t tolerate it in Nottinghamshire.”

If you did see anything suspicious or have any information that could help, please call us on 101 quoting incident 472 of 28 August 2020. You can also call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

HMRC scam warning issued to people in Gedling borough after Carlton pensioner is targeted

Nottinghamshire Police have issued a warning to people in Gedling borough about a new HMRC scam after a man in Carlton sent £2,000 to fraudsters.

Police said the Inland Revenue scam involves fraudsters asking the vulnerable for money or risk the threat of arrest.

The force has received a number of reports this week of people receiving calls informing them there is a warrant out for their arrest and unless they make an immediate payment to HMRC, they will be arrested.

Detective Sergeant Marc Lancaster said: “We have been informed that we’ve had a number of reports of people complaining about this latest scam, so we feel it’s appropriate to bring this to the attention of the public.

“Fraudsters have been cold calling residents across Nottinghamshire and have been targeting the most vulnerable in the community.

“The victims are obviously hugely concerned and left shaken following the phone call.

“In fact one elderly victim last week visited police in Carlton and informed officers that he paid more than £2,000 to a person in Birmingham. Sadly he didn’t question why he had to pay cash and send it through the post.

“Thankfully, after excellent neighbourhood policing team work and the force’s fraud department we were able to locate, secure and recover the parcel from the postal system and return the cash to the victim.

“The fraudsters are convincing and the thoughts of being arrested is terrifying for people.

“We are now asking people to inform the older generation and those with vulnerable friends and family about this latest scam.

“This particular scam has been around previously, but it’s becoming more prevalent again.

“A reminder, you’ll never get an email, text message, message in an application (for example WhatsApp) or a phone call from HM Revenue and Customs which tells you about a tax rebate or penalty or asks for your personal or payment information.

“If you receive a suspicious call, do not give any information over the phone and end the call immediately.

“If anyone has any information or if you receive a similar call, please call Action Fraud on 0300-123-2040.”

You can find more information here: https://www.gov.uk/report-suspicious-emails-websites-phishing/report-hmrc-phishing-emails-texts-and-phone-call-scams.

New comedy filmed in Arnold sends up TV licence fee enforcers

A new film shot in Arnold takes a comedic look at how far TV Licence fee enforcement officers will go to ensure the BBC payment is made by pensioners.

The producers of The Licengoons say it’s the world’s only anti-TV licence movie and was created in response to the over-75s TV licence row.

The indie short was filmed completely in Nottingham, with scenes in Arnold and outside Nottingham Castle. 

All four cast members are from Nottinghamshire, including director Miles Anthony (Nottingham city centre), Mike Newbold (West Bridgford), and Evadne Fisher (Arnold).

You can watch the full film on YouTube here: https://youtu.be/a4MoNi15yAs

Police hunt for vandals who targeted park benches in Linby and Papplewick

Police are appealing for help in tracking down vandals who targeted park benches in the Papplewick and Linby area.

Two picnic benches and a water butt were damaged at the Linby Heritage Centre in Main Street, Linby, between July 29 and 2nd August 2, 2020.

A bench was set on fire on the park behind Papplewick and Linby Village Hall, Linby Lane, Papplewick, between 7.30pm and 10.30pm on August 8, 2020 and another bench was attacked at Moor Pond Woods, between Papplewick, Hucknall and Linby.

Local Beat Manager Police Constable Chris Whild, of Nottinghamshire Police, said: “This mindless vandalism at parks and open spaces enjoyed by families and our local communities will not be tolerated.

Police are trying to track down vandals who caused this

“Those responsible for this damage should be ashamed of their actions and we are urging anyone who saw any suspicious activity in these areas or who has any information about those responsible for these incidents to contact us.

“We are actively visiting these parks and are working with relevant parish councils and Gedling Borough Council to target harden and patrol the affected areas.

“We will take further action where needed but we’re also asking the public to be vigilant and to report any suspicious activity to us by calling Nottinghamshire Police on 101.”

Leader of Gedling Borough Council, Councillor John Clarke said: “We are absolutely appalled at this vandalism in our parks. We will work with the Police to find the people who did this.

“At a time when our parks and open spaces are one of the few things people can go out and enjoy, for someone to do this is, is inexcusable. If anyone saw anything, please contact the Police.” 

Anyone who has any information about these incidents is urged to call Nottinghamshire Police on 101, quoting incident number 275 of 12 August 2020.

Woman arrested after car is stolen from driveway in Carlton

A 43-year-old woman has been arrested in connection with a burglary in Carlton where a car had been taken from a driveway.

Officers were called to Claygate at around 7.50am on July 17 after the victim had come home to find their car had gone along with a wallet and mobile phone from inside the house.

Detective Constable Natalia Montano from Nottinghamshire Police’s burglary team said: “My team have been working hard on this case, carrying out numerous lines of enquiry which has resulted in a woman being arrested today (29 August).

“She remains in custody while the investigation continues.

“Our dedicated burglary team follows up every burglary report we receive in a bid to establish who was behind the offence and bring criminals justice.”