Arnold was referred to as “Ernehale” in Domesday Book of 1086. This name meant ‘place frequented by eagles’ or ‘the valley of eagles’.
It is home to the largest town centre in the borough of Gedling.
Since 1968 Arnold has had a market, and the town used to have numerous factories associated with the hosiery industry.
Nottinghamshire Police have been headquartered in Arnold since 1979. At the time of the 2011 census, Arnold had a population of 37,768.
Areas within Arnold include Daybrook, Woodthorpe, Redhill, Warren Hill and Killisick.
Latest news from Arnold
Anthony Ndung'u, 30, had just finished a 12-hour shift not long after 7pm on Saturday, July 4 when he discovered an empty bike rack outside his home.