Sign up for our daily e-mail newsletter

Got a story? Email us:


14.5 C

Match Report: Carlton Town 2 – Basford United 1 (Doodson Cup)


In the first derby day of the season, the Millers ensured they would get the one-upmanship over Basford. Even though both sides made changes which revealed Saturday was the bigger priority, the way that Carlton battled would have given Wayne Scott some selection headaches for the weekend.

In a tight start Carlton broke the deadlock through Romaine Graham, as he headed the ball past Saul Deeney. Then in the final thirty minutes Kevin Lusamba doubled the hosts lead with a powerful strike through the goalkeepers legs. Yet, Carlton wanted to make hard work of the victory when a defensive mix up allowed Ruben Wiggins-Thomas a simple tap in.

Early on it was Basford who created chances, the first of which came from Courey Grantham pounced on a pass across goal from Josh Marshall, but he was unable to get a shot away as Carlton got plenty of bodies in the way.

Then moments later, one of the former Carlton players in the Basford side, Ashley Grayson managed to get a bit of space outside the box, but his effort went over the bar.

- Advertisement -

After that, Carlton had a rare chance from a free kick. Which Anthony Howell crossed into the box, with Saul Deeney coming out, and unable to get the ball, it meant Romaine Graham just needed to head his effort on target to go into the back of the net, which is exactly what he did.

Basford did have a few chances before the break, firstly from Rob McCormick, who headed a Blair Anderson header just over the bar. Then Grantham was played through on goal, but his effort went narrowly wide of the far post.

In the second half chances remained at a premium, and even though Carlton were the side pressing, a resilient Basford defence kept them at bay, until a corner from Conor Green came in, causing problems, as it bounced around the box, with it falling to the feet of Kevin Lusamba, who smashed the ball under the legs of Deeney and into the back of the net.

Although less than five minutes later, Basford grabbed one back, through former Miller Ruben Wiggins-Thomas, who pounced a poor header from Kieran Walker, who was trying to find Jack Steggles. Wiggins-Thomas was first to the ball, and left himself with a simple tap in from inside the six-yard box, passing it into the net.

Basford did push to try and find an equaliser, but were unable to create any pressure or momentum in possession of the ball. Meaning that it is Carlton who advances to the next round of the Doodson League Cup. In the meantime attention now turns to Saturday where Carlton travel to Premier Division Stourbridge in the Second Qualifying Round of the FA Trophy.

- Advertisement -

Carlton Town: Steggles, Walker, Green, Marshall, Graham, Sturgess, Newton, Howell (C), Fletcher, Rae (Wholey 84), Lusamba (Gordon 87).

Unused Subs: J. Law, Fyfe, Kenton-Bradshaw.

Goal Scorers: Graham 15, Lusamba 66.

Basford United: Deeney (C), Hellewell, Bennett, Pickbourne, Drakin, McCormick, Grantham, Grayson, Hendrie, Ismael, Anderson.

Subs: Duffy, Hollis, Bopp, Wiggins-Thomas, Hutchinson.

- Advertisement -

Goal Scorers: Wiggins-Thomas 72.

Attendance: 111

Man of the Match: Kevin Lusamba

Spotted something? Got a story? Email our newsdesk

Read more from Gedling Eye

Get your daily news briefing every evening…

Sign up for our daily news email and receive Gedling borough news direct to your email inbox in the early evening, to read at your leisure on your desktop, tablet or mobile wherever you are.

We don’t spam and you'll only receive one email a day

Join the discussion


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.


Stories you may have missed...