Home Blog Page 914

Pop-up cinema comes to Mapperley this summer

0

Film-lovers in Gedling borough can look forward to a series of special screenings under the stars next month when an outdoor cinema springs up in Mapperley next month.

The bowling green at Haywood Road Community Centre has been chosen as the venue for the temporary outdoor cinema which will hold two sunset screenings over the weekend of June 16 and 17.

The Sunset Cinema Club – who have organised the event – plan to screen The Princess Bride on Saturday evening to coincide with its 30th anniversary; 70s smash hit musical Grease will be shown on the Sunday.

Tickets, which must be bought in advance, cost £8.50 – £14 and are still available on a ‘first come first served’ basis here: www.sunsetcinemaclub.co.uk

The films will start when the light sinks below the horizon, which organisers expect to be shortly after 9.30PM.  Doors will open for picnics and a pop-up bar on the green from 8.15PM.

A spokesman for the group said: “The Screen on the Green aims to make good new use of the old Haywood Road Bowling Green in the few months before Gedling Borough Council applies for planning permission to redevelop it into housing.

“The space is the only green space in Porchester Gardens; there is currently a campaign to save it.

“The Screen on the Green demonstrates just one of many creative ways that this lovely, previously hidden and underused space could be bought back to life for people across a community to enjoy.”

You can find out more about the campaign to save the green from developers here: www.facebook.com/saveHRCC

 

Gedling Borough Council leader condemns Manchester Arena terror attack

0

Gedling Borough Council Leader John Clarke has condemned the deadly attack at Manchester Arena, describing it as a “cowardly act of terrorism” because it targeted children and young people.

In a statement released today he said: “Manchester is quite simply one of the greatest cities on earth. We stand united with Manchester today after this evil attack.

“This was a cowardly act of terrorism that targeted a concert attended by thousands of children and young people.

“My heart goes out to the victims, their families and everybody affected. My thoughts are with our brave emergency services – yet again they have shown heroism, bravery and kindness in the face of hate and evil. They have our full support.

He added: “Manchester and the rest of Britain will never be cowed by terrorism. Those who want to destroy our way of life and divide us will never succeed.”

Flags at all Nottinghamshire County  Council buildings will be flown at half-mast today as a sign of solidarity with the people of Manchester and all those affected by last night’s terrorist attack.

Reacting to last night’s atrocity at the Manchester Arena, Councillor Kay Cutts, Leader of Nottinghamshire County Council said: “I am deeply saddened to hear of last night’s attack in Manchester. My thoughts are with the families involved and their loved ones.

“People were enjoying an evening out and their lives have been irrevocably affected by the tragic events which unfolded. It is particularly appalling that this appears to have been an act deliberately targeted at children, young people and families.

“I am sure I speak for everyone living in Nottinghamshire that we stand shoulder to shoulder with our friends in Manchester. We will not let mindless acts of violence deter law abiding people from living their lives.

“I will be contacting Sir Richard Leese, the Leader of Manchester City Council to pledge our support and offer any assistance we can.”

Man arrested in connection with attempted burglary at Netherfield Co-op

0

Police have arrested a man in connection with a burglary at a store in Netherfield.

Officers were called to the Co-op store at around 8.30pm on Saturday (May 20) after a man had reportedly tried to take one of the tills.

A staff member had intervened and the offender got away with nothing.

Dean Earl, 35, of no fixed abode, was arrested on Sunday afternoon and is due to appear at Nottingham Magistrates’ Court later today (23).

Four men jailed for 95 years for killing Tony Fisher

0

Four men who killed a man at his Carlton home and robbed him of his life savings have been jailed for a total of 95 years.

A fifth man has also been jailed for five years for helping them try to cover up their crime.

Tony Fisher, 58, was found dead at his home in Coningswath Road, Carlton, on January 9, 2016, after being tortured and suffering multiple stab wounds.

Simon Palmer, formerly known as Simon Blake, 43, of Edwin Street, Daybrook, was today jailed for 33 years for murder and given a 20-year sentence, to run concurrently, for conspiracy to rob.

Marcus Barton, 42, of Raymede Drive, Bestwood, was sentenced to 25 years for murder and a concurrent 20 years for conspiracy to rob.

Nathan Barton, 23, of Heathfield Avenue, Basford, was sentenced to 19 years for manslaughter and 14 years concurrently for conspiracy to rob.

Jaydon Roberts-Barton, 21, of Curzon Gardens, St Ann’s, was jailed for 18 years for manslaughter and 13 years concurrently for conspiracy to rob.

Vincent Hawkins, 33, of Handel Street, Sneinton, was jailed for five years for perverting the course of justice.

They were each found guilty of the offences earlier today (Monday 22 May 2017) after a trial at Nottingham Crown Court.

Detective Chief Inspector Hayley Williams, who led the investigation, said: “The sentences given out today reflect the seriousness of the offence and I hope that it is some small crumb of comfort to Mr Fisher’s family that the offenders have been brought to justice although clearly nothing will make up for the tragic and unnecessary loss of a loving husband, father and grandfather.”

Four men found guilty of killing Tony Fisher

0

Four men have today been found guilty of killing a Carlton man in his own home and robbing him of his life savings.

A fifth man has also been found guilty of helping them try to cover up their crime.

Tony Fisher, 58, was found dead at his home in Coningswath Road, Carlton, on January 9, 2016, after being tortured and suffering multiple stab wounds.

The court heard Marcus Barton, his son Jaydon Roberts-Barton, another relative Nathan Barton and Simon Palmer had hatched a plan to rob Mr Fisher after finding out that he kept his money at home. They carried out the robbery on the evening of 8 January 2016, subjecting Mr Fisher to a sustained and brutal assault designed to force him to reveal the whereabouts of his two safes and the access code for one of them.

Despite co-operating, the men beat and stabbed Mr Fisher and left him to bleed to death. The four men fled with between £10,000-£14,000 in cash and other valuable items including jewellery.

Mr Fisher’s body was discovered the next day by his family, the court heard.

The jury was told Jaydon Roberts-Barton and Nathan Barton met a fifth man, Vincent Hawkins, about an hour after the murder and he took their clothes in a plastic bag to burn in a park in Carlton Hill.

Simon Palmer, formerly known as Simon Blake, 43, of Edwin Street, Daybrook, Marcus Barton, 42, of Raymede Drive, Bestwood, Nathan Barton, 23, of Heathfield Avenue, Basford, and Jaydon Roberts-Barton, 21, of Curzon Gardens, St Ann’s, were each charged with murder and conspiracy to rob. They denied the offences.

Vincent Hawkins, 33, of Handel Street, Sneinton, was charged with assisting an offender and perverting the course of justice, which he denied.

After a seven-week trial at Nottingham Crown Court, the jury found Marcus Barton and Simon Palmer guilty of murder and conspiracy to rob. Nathan Barton and Jaydon Roberts-Barton were found not guilty of murder but guilty of a lesser charge of manslaughter as well as conspiracy to rob.

And Vincent Hawkins was found not guilty of assisting an offender but guilty of perverting the course of justice.

All of the verdicts were unanimous. They will be sentenced later today (Monday 22 May 2017).

Speaking after the conviction, Mr Fisher’s wife Elaine and son Andrew Fisher issued a statement on behalf of the Fisher family.

They said: “On the morning of Saturday 9 January 2016 our lives changed forever when my son Andrew and I found the body of my husband Tony, Andrew’s Dad.

“It was immediately apparent on seeing the lifeless body of my husband that Tony had suffered a violent death. It was all your worst nightmares and an image that can never leave my mind.

“Over the days and months that followed we have learnt through the investigation that Tony had suffered a sustained and brutal attack – that he was tortured. To know his last moments on this earth were filled with fear and pain has been something all of Tony’s family have struggled to both comprehend and cope with.

“We wish to make it very clear Tony did not know the men who broke into our home and killed him. He had no association with them whatsoever. He was targeted because they ‘got wind’ that Tony kept his life savings in the house.

“Tony was a local Carlton man. He was one of nine siblings. Everyone locally will know the Fisher family. Everyone locally will also know Tony was a decent, hard-working man.

“He spent 27 years of his working life at Duncan Macmillian House as a maintenance man. Every penny Tony earned was through his own hard graft. He was one of life’s savers not a spender.

“As a family we have struggled over the last 18 months to comprehend the level of violence and brutality that was inflicted on Tony. We know he cooperated with the men that broke into the house. They didn’t need to terrorise or kill him.

“As a family we have attended every day of the trial. Listening to the evidence unfold has at times been frankly too much to bear. However, it was something we needed to do for Tony. He was robbed of his life and his voice. As a family we have been united and resolute in seeking justice for him.

“No sentence can ever bring Tony back to us. However, the fact that Marcus Barton, Simon Palmer, Nathan Barton, Jaydon Roberts-Barton and Vincent Hawkins have been found guilty has given us the justice for Tony that we have sought. We have some peace knowing that society has now been protected from these violent individuals. They are callous, heartless, cowards – the very worst of mankind and there is no place in our community for them.”

Detective Chief Inspector Hayley Williams, who led the investigation, also described Mr Fisher as “a decent, hard-working family man.”

She said: “Simon Palmer, Marcus Barton, Nathan Barton and Jaydon Roberts Barton – a local criminal group – found out he kept his hard-earned life savings at home and hatched a plan to steal the money. They went ‘mob handed’ because they needed Tony to tell them where the safe was and how to access it and all agreed to use violence if necessary to get this information.

“The evidence showed that the injuries to Tony amounted to torture. The next door neighbours heard a commotion lasting up to 20 minutes which shows Tony’s ordeal was prolonged.

“What makes this crime even more horrific is that the group did not have to kill Tony to steal the money. A short audio recording of part of the attack appeared to show the Tony was cooperating with their requests to give the combination for the safe but this was not enough for the criminals and they beat and stabbed Tony to death and then took his money, leaving him for dead.”

Arnold Leisure Centre swimming pool to close over summer

0

The swimming pool at Arnold Leisure Centre has been closed while work takes place to repair the roof.

The pool will be closed from 2pm on June 3 and is not expected to reopen until early autumn.

Gedling Borough Council plan to fit a new roof, suspended ceiling and also upgrade the lighting in the pool area during the improvement works.

Extra swim sessions will now be taking at Calverton and Carlton Forum Leisure centres to accommodate everyone who would usually use Arnold Leisure Centre.

DNA members can attend any centre as part of their pay monthly package at no extra cost. Any changes to the pool programmes at Carlton Forum and Calverton leisure centres can be found at www.gedling.gov.uk/leisure or for DNA members you can check the app.

A spokesman for Gedling Borough Council said: “We’ll be getting in touch with people who have swimming lessons via letter to let them know where their lessons will be taking place during the closure.”

BT customers in Gedling borough targeted by scam emails

0

BT customers in Gedling borough are being targeted by scam emails in the wake of the WannaCry ransomware attack. 

Fraudsters are using the attack as a hook to try and get people to click on the links within this clever BT branded phishing email.

This very convincing email claims BT is updating its systems to protect its customers from such attacks.

It asks them to confirm a security upgrade that gives it “temporarily limited access to profile features that contain sensitive data”.

bt-scam
SCAM: The fake email which claims to be from BT

 

A spokesman for scam-busters Action Fraud said: “After analysing the email, the domains appear very similar and this could easily catch out those who are concerned about the security of their data after the global attack.

“If you receive one of these emails do not click on any links and follow our advice on how to stay safe. Instead, go to the BT website directly and log in from there.

“We are also aware that companies are sending out legitimate emails of reassurance in connection with the recent cyber attack, if in doubt contact them directly on a method other than the email you have received. ”

They added: “Remember that fraudsters can “spoof” an email address to make it look like one used by someone you trust. If you are unsure, check the email header to identify the true source of any such communication.

“Additionally you should always update your Anti-Virus software and operating systems regularly.”

Missing man from Gedling found safe and well

1

Police have said a missing 53-year-old man from Gedling has been found safe and well.

David Harrison had been reported missing from the Gedling area on Tuesday (May 16).

MISSING: David Harrison

He was found safe and well yesterday.

 

Smoking law changes come into force across borough this Sunday

0

Health officials are hoping the introduction of standardised tobacco packaging will help reduce the number of children in the borough taking up smoking.

From this Sunday (21), Cigarettes and hand-rolling tobacco will no longer be sold in packets with the familiar colours and branding smokers instantly recognise.

Instead, they will appear in standard packaging with the same green-brown colour, and containing graphic pictures and health warnings on the side. The only way to differentiate between brands will be the product name but this will also be uniform – appearing in the same font and size.

The new regulations came into force in May 2016 and gave tobacco companies a year to make sure that all packets on sale in the UK complied with the changes.

It is hoped that the move will help to reduce the numbers of under-18s taking up smoking.

Alison Challenger, director of Public Health at Nottingham City Council, said: “We fully support these proposals and hope that they will complement the work we have been doing for many years to reduce the harm caused by smoking.

“A large part of our tobacco strategy in Nottingham focuses on a vision to create a smoke-free generation and, specifically, to take smoking out of the sight of children.

“Standardised packaging has been shown to be very effective in Australia, where it was introduced in 2012. Rates of smoking among under-18s have fallen away further since, and that is so important in terms of breaking generational cycles of tobacco use. An additional benefit was that many long-term smokers started to question their habit and were motivated to quit.

“We have great support networks in place in Nottingham through stop-smoking services like New Leaf which can help people to quit, but it’s just as important to try to stop them taking up the habit in the first place. Standardised packaging can help us to achieve that.”

Other changes due to be introduced this weekend include:

  • Cigarettes will no longer be sold in packs of 10 – the minimum will be 20
  • Roll-up tobacco will be sold in minimum pack sizes of 30g
  • The cheapest pack of cigarettes will cost £8.82
  • Menthol cigarettes will begin to be phased out over the next three years
  • Some flavoured cigarettes and roll-your-own tobacco, including fruit, spice, herbs, alcohol, candy and vanilla, will be made illegal

Bio-gas buses to be introduced in borough this summer

1

A new fleet of bio-gas buses are to be introduced on routes around the borough this summer.

The new buses will begin operating on Nottingham City Transport’s 24, 25 and 44 routes which cover Arnold, Carlton, Gedling Mapperley and Netherfield.

The buses – said to be the greenest on the road- are powered by bio gas, which is produced naturally through anaerobic digestion, using food waste, farm waste and sewage.  The methane emitted from the digestion process is captured, treated and turned into fuel. When this fuel is used, emissions are 84% lower than their diesel counterparts.

The innovative move to bio-gas vehicles began last July when Nottingham City Transport (NCT), working in partnership with Nottingham City Council, successfully bid to receive £4.4m in funding from the Government’s Office for Low Emission Vehicles (OLEV).

Since that time, and adding its own investment of a further £12.4m, the bus operator has worked closely with manufacturers Scania and Alexander Dennis Limited (ADL), together with local companies Roadgas and ZF Transmissions, to create bio-gas infrastructure at their Parliament Street Garage and state-of-the-art buses.

NCT Engineering Director, Gary Mason said they were hugely proud of their new bio-gas buses.

He said: “This is the largest order for gas double decks in the world and is the culmination of our extensive research into alternative fuels.”

As well as being greener, the new buses will also feature comfier seats, USB power sockets at most seats and NCT’s standard free 4G Wi-Fi to keep passengers connected.

People are now being invited to see the buses for themselves before they go out on the road at an event in the Old Market Square this Friday. Five of the buses will be on display from 10am-6pm and will be officially launched by Nottingham’s Lord Mayor, Cllr Mike Edwards at the start of the event.