A man from Carlton has today appeared at Nottingham Magistrates’ Court today charged with causing actual bodily harm.
Danny O’Keefe, 43, of Conway Road, was arrested yesterday (Thursday, May 25) in connection with an assault in Meadowvale Crescent, Clifton, at around 6.15am the same day.
He was released on conditional bail to appear at a trial at Nottingham Magistrates’ Court on 28 July.
Gedling borough’s newest crematorium has now been blessed by a Bishop during an official dedication service.
Gedling crematorium, in Catford Lane, held its first funeral in January and its arrival was officially marked last week by a service of dedication led by the suffragan Bishop of Sherwood, the Right Reverend Tony Porter.
Other faith leaders attended, including Canon Philipp Ziomek, of the Catholic Church of the Good Shepherd, in Woodthorpe, who gave an opening prayer, and local civil celebrant Victoria Corder.
Councillor Sandra Barnes, Mayor of Gedling, also spoke at the service, which included readings, prayers, live singing from Sarah Simmons and a welcome from crematorium manager Kevin Browne.
The Westerleigh Group, a specialist company that built and also operate the new facility, were represented at the service by managing director Richard Evans.
He said: “We had a dedication service to mark the fact that the crematorium has been open since the beginning of the year.
“We have held over 300 funerals in that time which is the most acknowledgement of how important this new service has been to the bereaved in this area.
“Mayor Barnes said she has attended six funerals at the crematorium and commented on how it had made such a difference to local families.
“It’s much less busy than other crematoria and everyone commented on how wonderful the setting is, wrapped in glorious countryside in a tranquil, quiet spot – it has a completely different feel about it.
“We allow up to an hour for services and people have the time to have an unhurried, dignified service.
“I am very grateful for all of the support we have had from local funeral directors and clergy who have helped to ensure that the service is tailored to local needs.”
PICTURED: Mayor of Gedling, Mrs Sandra Barnes, centre, alongside Cllr Peter Barnes, left, Cllr Jenny Hollingsworth and Cllr John Clarke from Gedling Borough Council
Mr Evans also said that some local people who originally had concerns about the plans had since been pleased with what they saw and that the crematorium had blended in well with the countryside setting.
He added: “We are hoping to prove to those people who objected that we are good neighbours,” said Mr Evans.
Mr Evans said the Bishop provided a “wonderful address” on the importance of people being allowed to grieve and how it was such a significant responsibility for crematorium staff to ensure they look after people with professional dignity.
The Bishop said: “It was a privilege to be invited to dedicate the new crematorium – particularly to see the care, the professional dignity and sensitivity that is shown to bereaved people.”
Local funeral directors also attended, including Nigel Lymn Rose, of AW Lymn – The Family Funeral Service, who had initially objected to the plans as his 110-year-old firm wanted to open a crematorium in the area.
Mr Lymn, whose company conducted the first service at the crematorium, said: “As much as it’s tinged with sadness that it’s not our crematorium, I’m absolutely delighted that the needs of people in that area are now being served by the crematorium.
“We as a firm have found the management and staff to be excellent and they share the same values as us in always putting bereaved families first.”
Mayor Barnes said: “We are just so lucky to have this special place, because it’s absolutely stunning and very tastefully done. We couldn’t ask for anything better.”
A NEW mayor has been announced for Gedling borough.
Councillor Viv McCrossen will shortly take up the role as Gedling borough’s first citizen. Cllr McCrossen is currently Deputy Mayor of Gedling. and also a Labour councilor for the Woodthorpe Ward.
She will take over from current mayor Cllr Sandra Barnes.
Mrs Barnes last night announced that she had raised £15,000 to help tackle pancreatic cancer – her chosen cause during her year in office.
Current mayor Sandra Barnes
Cllr McCrossen last night announced that the Nottingham branch of the Motor Neurone Disease Association will be her charity of choice during her year in office.
She told fellow councilors at a meeting last night that she chose the charity after “having seen the impact the disease had on neighbours.”
Supermarket giant TESCO could soon be scrapping plastic 5p bags and make forgetful shoppers fork out for a bag for life instead.
Tesco is running a trial at three stores for the next 10 weeks, and if successful, the trial will be rolled out nationwide – including stores in Gedling borough.
The firm want to see how the trial stores get on without “single-use” 5p bags. Those forgetting to bring a bag for their shopping they will have to pay for an 8p or 10p bag for life instead.
A Tesco spokesperson said: “We are carrying out a short trial in a few stores to look at the impact on bag usage if we remove single use carrier bags.
“In these stores customers who need a bag can still buy a bag for life which they can reuse.”
It is believed other supermarkets could do the same if Tesco’s trial is successful.
Nottinghamshire Police has released an image of a man they want to speak to after criminal damage was caused to gates at a property in Calverton.
The gates were damaged at the property in George’s Lane at around 3.30pm on Monday, May 15.
Police want to speak to this man after damage was caused to gates in Calverton
A spokesman for Nottinghamshire Police said: “If you recognise him or have any information that could help, please contact Nottinghamshire Police on 101 quoting incident 528 of 15 May.”
People in Gedling borough who bank with Barclays are being warned about a scam email claiming that they have new secure documents in their Cloud It service.
Scam-busting website Hoax-Slayer.net say the fraudulent email urges recipients to click a login link to view these “important” documents.
This is designed to trick you into giving your personal and financial information to criminals. Clicking the link opens a bogus website that asks for your login credentials, your credit card numbers, and other identifying personal information.
A spokesman for the website said: “Scams like this are very common and target customers of many different banks around the world. Be wary of any unsolicited email that claims to be from your bank and demands that you click a link or open an attached file to view documents, update details, or fix a supposed account problem.
“It is safer to access your bank’s website by entering the address into your browser’s address bar rather than by clicking a link in a message.”
Cloud It is a service offered by Barclays that allows bank customers to securely store documents online.
A young girl was approached by a man in Bleasby who asked her to get into his car.
The girl was making her way on to Southwell Minster School when she was approached by the male at 8.30am this morning (24).
A police spokesman said: “The male asked the young girl to get into his car but thankfully she ran away from the vehicle and saw the male drive off towards the Nottingham direction.”
The man is descibed as a white male in his 50’s, bald head wearing black clothing, no vehicle registration was taken. He was drivng a small black Ford car.
The Minster School will be sending out a School’s Alert in due course.
Girl Guides from Gedling joined some 100 members of Girlguiding Nottinghamshire on Friday (May 19) in sleeping out under cardboard to highlight the plight of the homeless.
The girls – who were aged from 10 upwards – arrived at Girlguiding Nottinghamshire’s Elton campsite on Friday evening, all armed with a cardboard box which would be their only shelter for the night.
After queuing for a simple supper from the soup kitchen, they then warmed up during a campfire singalong before bedding down in their boxes.
Despite the gloomy forecast, the rain held off for most of the night and the Guides rose early on Saturday morning – still smiling!
All the girls had been sponsored to take part in the sleep-out and the money raised will be donated to Framework, the Nottingham-based homelessness charity.
The morning after their Night in a Box: Hannah Oxley, Layla Bee, Ellie Stark and Farrah Kirkland (all 11) of 1st Gedling Guides
Hannah Oxley, 11, who is a member of 1st Gedling Guides said she found the conditions challenging.
She said: “It was hard to sleep, noisy and cold,’
Her friend Ellie Stark (11) was surprised to find that it was “…quite comfy actually!”
Layla Bee (11), also a member of 1st Gedling Guides shared the views of many who took part.
She said: “I’d like to do it again if I had a bigger box, and I’d bring more layers and more socks.”
Girlguiding Nottinghamshire is recruiting additional adult volunteers in order to whittle down the waiting lists and create more events and opportunities like the Night in a Box for girls and young women all over the county. Anyone interested in finding out what’s involved is invited to call 0115 987 7220 or visit www.girlguidingnottinghamshire.org.uk
For details on Framework and its work with the homeless in Nottingham, visit www.frameworkha.org
People in Gedling borough are being warned about tech-support scammers who are claiming to be from Microsoft and are trying to take advantage of the global WannaCry ransomware attack.
Scam-busters Action Fraud has started to receive reports of victims falling for the scam after calling a “help” number advertised on a pop-up window.
The window, which wouldn’t close, told the victim they’d been affected by a WannaCry Ransomware attack.
The victim granted the fraudsters remote access to their PC after being convinced there wasn’t sufficient anti-virus protection. The fraudsters then installed Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool, which is actually free and took £320 as payment.
A spokesman for Action Fraud said: “It’s important to remember that Microsoft’s error and warning messages on your PC will never include a phone number.
“Additionally Microsoft will never proactively reach out to you to provide unsolicited PC or technical support. Any communication they have with you must be initiated by you.
How to protect yourself
Don’t call numbers from pop-up messages.
Never allow remote access to your computer.
Always be wary of unsolicited calls. If you’re unsure of a caller’s identity, hang up.
Never divulge passwords or pin numbers.
Microsoft or someone on their behalf will never call you.
If you believe you have already been a victim
Get your computer checked for any additional programmes or software that may have been installed.
Contact your bank to stop any further payments being taken.
A book of condolence will be opened at Nottinghamshire County Council’s Arnold offices on Sir John Robinson Way from tomorrow (24) to allow Gedling borough residents to pass on their thoughts to the people of Manchester following yesterday’s terrorist attack.
After three weeks, all the messages left will be collated by Nottinghamshire County Council and then sent to the leader of Manchester City Council, Sir Richard Leese.
Councillors will observe a minutes silence at Nottinghamshire County Council’s annual meeting on Thursday (May 25) to remember the victims of the attacks, where tributes are also expected to be paid.
Councillor Kay Cutts, Leader of Nottinghamshire County Council said: “I am deeply saddened to hear of last night’s attack in Manchester. My thoughts are with the families involved and their loved ones.
“People were enjoying an evening out and their lives have been irrevocably affected by the tragic events which unfolded. It is particularly appalling that this appears to have been an act deliberately targeted at children, young people and families.
“I am sure I speak for everyone living in Nottinghamshire that we stand shoulder to shoulder with our friends in Manchester. We will not let mindless acts of violence deter law abiding people from living their lives.”