Home Blog Page 902

Carlton pupils call for more education cash during Parliament visit

0

Two Carlton schoolgirls got the chance to grill government ministers and politicians last week.

Ella Henry and Ella Foster, who are in Year 9 at Carlton le Willows, travelled to Westminster last week along with pupils from schools across the UK to lobby Parliament as representatives of the 300,000-strong Send My Friend to School youth campaign.

The two Ellas took the opportunity to call for increased investment in education around the world, when they met with local MPs, parliamentarians and Ministers at the Houses of Parliament last Wednesday (12).

VISIT: The students we joined by pupils from other schools across the UK

The trip formed part of the girls’ work as Campaign Champions for the Send My Friend to School campaign, which urges world leaders to provide a quality education for every child in the world by 2030.

During the day Geography GCSE students Ella and Ella joined 16 other Campaign Champions from across the UK, meeting with the Chair of the International Development Committee Stephen Twigg, Special Envoy for Gender Equality Joanna Roper and finally Minister of State for the Foreign Office and the International Department of International Development Alastair Burt.

During each meeting they were able to ask questions, grilling Ministers on the level of their commitment to improving global education and urging them to commit to greater levels of government funding in the future.

The 14-year-old Academy students also found time to speak to their own local MP Vernon Coaker, who they said was extremely supportive of their campaign.

Ella Foster said: “My favourite part of the day was getting to talk to our MP Vernon Coaker and to talk about what we wanted to do in our own community.”

Ella Henry said: “The whole day was such an opportunity to be able to press the MPs, speak to them face to face about important issues, basically talking directly to the people with the power.  It’s not something that you could usually do.”

Carlton le Willows geography teacher Kate Wood said the students were a credit to the school.

She said: “Both girls were incredible. They spoke with real confidence and had both put in huge time and effort to grasp all the facts, figures and to be able to ask intelligent questions about the issues. I’m so proud of them.”

Carlton pub charity night raises £3,500 for city cancer ward

0

Families and friends visiting terminally-ill cancer patients at a city hospital are set to benefit from new and improved facilities after a charity fundraiser brought in £3,500 to give the ward a facelift.

The Ladies Night, which took place last Friday, was organised by the Elwes Arms in Carlton to help bring in money which can be used to buy new furniture and improve facilities for visitors at the Frazer Ward in Nottingham City Hospital.

The ward looks after terminally-ill women suffering from cancer.

Ladies attending the fun-filled evening were served at their tables by ‘butlers in the buff’, and also enjoyed cocktails & canapes, music and entertainment.

Elwes Arms landlady Beccy Webster said: “I am so pleased at how the night went. All the ladies had a wonderful time and so did the staff, it was a great event for a great cause.

“In total we raised £3500 which is going to make such a difference to the ward.

“A lot of preparation went in to the night and I can’t thank Rhiannon and Amy for everything they did, Grace for decorating the room and supplying the sweetie cart and also the chocolate fountain and Craig for DJing. Everyone really pulled together to make it a success. I just wish we could do it all again.”

Borough residents urged to sign up to spot-scam scheme

0

Residents in Gedling borough are being urged to sign up to a scheme that aims to raise awareness of scams in a bid to support and reduce the number of vulnerable local people in the area becoming victims. 

An event is being held at Arnold Library this Wednesday (July 19) to explain to residents how to spot a scam and avoid becoming a victim.

Nottinghamshire County Council’s Trading Standards team said they received 224 reports of scams in the last twelve months and the authority is using Scams Awareness Month this July to promote the ‘Friends Against Scams’ scheme.

So far 170 local people have signed up to the scheme, which involves either completing an online awareness session or attending a local workshop event at local libraries.

The average scam victim loses about £1,000 to scams and older people are 2.4 times more likely to die or go into a care home than those who are not scammed.

Scams come in many forms and can be the result of a postal, telephone or electronic communication. Examples include fictitious prize draws, false investment opportunities, fake lotteries or bogus equity release schemes.

Nottinghamshire County Council has been supporting older people and people with dementia who have become victims of mass marketing scams and has so far seized 54 stone of scam mail from victims’ homes since January 2015.

Councillor Gordon Wheeler, Vice-Chairman of Nottinghamshire County Council’s Communities and Place Committee, said: “It’s believed only five percent of scams are reported so there are many people in our communities that are suffering in silence and are not seeking the help and support they need.

“The ‘Friends Against Scams’ scheme is helping to spread the word on how to spot and avoid a scam amongst local communities so we want as many people as possible to sign up to this scheme.”

To sign up to the ‘Friends Against Scams ‘scheme visit its website at www.friendsagainstscams.org.uk

To report a scam contact the Citizens Advice Consumer Service on 03454 040506.

It’s a stitch up as Arnold gets yarn bombed

0

A group of ‘guerrilla knitters’ have added a touch of colour to Arnold once again in time for the borough’s annual arts festival.

A group of yarn bombers have been working for weeks to prepare knitted decorations to dress the street furniture.

Bollards around the town centre have been dressed as Robin Hood and his Merry Men, or as Minions. Bunting and other pieces have been put on fences.

The event has again been organised to mark the start of the annual Gedling Borough Arts Festival by the owners of Arnold arts and crafts shop Button Moon.

The arts festival began today (17) and runs until Sunday, July 23.

Free family activity passes on offer when you sign up to swim lessons at leisure centre in Hucknall

Sign up to swimming lessons this summer at your local Everyone Active leisure centre and you can get your hands on four free family activity passes – allowing you and your family to use your local centre’s sporting facilities free for one day.

So why not take the plunge and sign up for a fun swim classes taking place at Hucknall Leisure Centre this summer.

Once you sign up and you will get your four free family activity passes at the centre on Linby Road.

Each pass offers you and your family the opportunity to use the centre’s facilities for free for one day. Why not enjoy a family swim, hire a court for a game of badminton, have a session in the gym or try a group exercise class!

There is a large gym, a dedicated group cycling studio, a group exercise programme, a 25m swimming pool, sports hall and two squash courts.

The gym offers over 100 pieces of the latest fitness equipment complete with a full weights section. The group cycling studio is always busy and offers members a different challenge in a fast paced class that is led by one of Everyone Active’s qualified instructors.

The group exercise programme offers something for every different age group and level of ability featuring everything from Pilates to Body Pump. In the pool you will find our award winning swim school as well as our Wet and Wild fun swim sessions.

Hucknall Leisure Centre also has a packed programme to cater for children of all ages including Active Antz, Gym Active, gymnastics, and family roller skating.

Find out more by clicking here

Fresh appeal as police continue to investigate death of Bestwood man

0

Police have today issued a fresh appeal for information as they continue to investigate the circumstances surrounding the death of a man in Bestwood.

Officers were called around 7.50pm on Thursday (July 13) to an address in Belconnen Road.

Inquiries are ongoing to establish the circumstances surrounding the death of 52-year-old Nicholas Powell which at this time remain unclear.

Detective Chief Inspector Hayley Williams, of Nottinghamshire Police, said: “We’re keeping an open mind as to the circumstances of Mr Powell’s death and our inquiries are ongoing.

Belconnen-Road
Belconnen Road

“We want to hear from anyone who may seen Mr Powell between noon on Wednesday (July 12) and 8pm on Thursday (13 July 2017).

“We’re appealing for anyone who saw Mr Powell during these times and anyone who has any other information about what happened to contact Nottinghamshire Police on 101, quoting incident number 863 of 13 July 2017, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.”

Incident Number:
000863-13072017

Car key burglary warning to Ravenshead residents

0

OFFICERS from Nottinghamshire Police are telling residents in Ravenshead to be on their guard and review home and vehicle security following an increase in the number of car key burglaries in the area.

Police said that two incidents of car key burglaries have been reported in the area over the last three days.

Sheepwalk-Lane
BURGLARIES: Sheepwalk Lane, Ravenshead

These have occurred in the Sheepwalk Lane area, Church Drive and Chapel Lane. High powered vehicles were taken during burglaries.

A spokesman for Nottinghamshire Police said: “Can all residents please stay vigilant and report any suspicious activity to police.”

People in Gedling borough falling for fake Aldi voucher scam

0

People in Gedling borough are falling for a new fake Aldi voucher scam which has hit social media – claiming to offer £85 off at the discount store.

The new scam is designed to get hold of your personal details, and then use you to spam your contacts on social media.

The scam appears to be a voucher offering a £85 discount – to celebrate Aldi’s 55th birthday.

aldi-scam
SCREENSHOT: The scam voucher doing the rounds on Twitter and Facebook

It says that to claim your discount you just need to click the link, and enter your details. These include your name, address and date of birth. You are then invited to share the voucher on your own page.

Aldi has now published a warning on its Twitter and Facebook pages, highlighting that this is a bogus offer. It said: “ALERT: there’s a hoax £85 Aldi voucher circulating online. This offer is fraudulent and cannot be redeemed in our stores. We’re investigating.”

Aldi was founded in 1913 so if it was celebrating any anniversary it wouldn’t be its 55th birthday.

Man’s death in Bestwood investigated by police

0

The death of a man in Bestwood is being investigated by Nottinghamshire Police.

Officers were called to an address in Belconnen Road at around 7.50pm on Thursday (July 13, 2017)

Inquiries are ongoing to establish the circumstances surrounding his death which at this time remain unclear.

He has been officially named as 51-year-old Nicholas Powell.

Detective Inspector Gemma Booth, who is leading the inquiry, said: “We are encouraging anyone who may have been in contact with or seen Mr Powell from Tuesday 11 July 2017 to contact the investigation team. This is important for us to build up a picture of his movements.

“Likewise, the team is keen to speak with anyone who has information surrounding the circumstances as to what has happened.”

Anyone with any information is asked to contact Nottinghamshire Police on 101, quoting incident number 863 of 13 July 2017, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 and quote incident Number: 000863-13072017

Police arrests after reports of men armed with weapons in Netherfield

0

Nottinghamshire Police have made four arrests after receiving reports of a group of males armed with weapons attacking a property in Netherfield.

Three males, aged 47, 22 and 16, have been arrested on suspicion of criminal damage and a 49-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of affray. They remain in police custody.

Officers are investigating after being called to a property in Arthur Street just after 5pm today (Friday 14 July 2017).

Enquiries are continuing in Arthur Street and Deabill Street.

No injuries have been reported.

Officers are appealing for any witnesses or anyone with information about what happened to call Nottinghamshire Police on 101, quoting incident number 728 of 14 July 2017, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.