TV Licensing is warning customers in Gedling borough to beware of fake emails which claim people are owed a refund or say billing information is out of date and needs to be updated.
The emails often provide a link through to ‘copycat’ TV Licensing websites which ask people to input their personal and financial details.
TV Licensing has seen a rise in calls about this issue and Action Fraud reported it had received around 2,500 reports of these emails.
TV Licence
Matt Thompson, a TV Licensing spokesperson, said: “In common with other large organisations like HMRC, TV Licensing suffers from fraudsters sending scam emails to the public posing as genuine TV Licensing communications.
“We will never email customers, unprompted, to ask for bank details, personal information or tell you that you may be entitled to a refund.”
“Anyone who has provided their details as a result of a fraudulent email should report it via Action Fraud at www.actionfraud.police.uk or by calling 0300 123 2040. If they have provided bank details, they should call their bank urgently.”
Fake texts from TV Licensing have also been reported, with details on how to deal with them found here.
The leader of Nottingham City Council has called for the Nottingham East MP Chris Leslie to stand down.
It comes after the Nottingham East MP and six others resigned from the Labour Party, citing differences over Brexit and differences with the leadership of the party.
The Labour leader of the council, Cllr Jon Collins, said categorically he did not want the job, but argued there had been long-standing concern in Nottingham East about Mr Leslie.
In September last year, the Mapperley Labour Party branch held a vote of no confidence in their MP.
Councillor Collins, who represents the St Ann’s ward for Labour, said: “Chris labours under the misapprehension that the unhappiness in Nottingham East was all some hard-left Momentum-inspired plot.
“But I think the reality is there was widespread unhappiness with the fact he was hardly ever seen in the constituency, and didn’t feel the need to do regular advice surgeries or do much casework, unlike our other two MPs.
“He seemed broadly disinterested in Nottingham and that definitely has generated a view that well if he wants to go, that’s up to him and I’m sure the Labour party will be able to find somebody far more enthusiastic and energetic about representing local people and local people’s concerns.
“The sooner Chris steps down and gives us the opportunity to elect that kind of person the better.”
Asked directly if he was interested in the job, he said: “No. Absolutely not. I can’t think of anything worse.”
Speaking on February 18 as he resigned from the party at a press conference in Westminster, Mr Leslie said: “The Labour Party we joined and campaigned for and believed in is no longer today’s Labour Party.
“We did everything we could to save it. But it has now been hijacked by the machine politics of the hard left.
“Our values haven’t changed. We absolutely oppose this Conservative Government.
“But British politics is now well and truly broken.
“In all conscience, we can no longer knock on doors and support a government led by Jeremy Corbyn or the team around him.
“The evidence of Labour’s betrayal on Europe is now visible for all to see. Offering to actually enable this government’s Brexit, constantly holding back from allowing the public a final say.
“Choosing to stand by while our constituents lives and future opportunities are hurt by Brexit is a fundamental violation of Labour’s traditional values.
“Our differences go far deeper than Brexit. The past three years have confirmed how irresponsible it would be to allow this leader of the opposition to take the office of Prime Minister.
“Many people still in the Labour Party will privately admit this to be true. We owe it to our constituents to say it publicly and honestly.”
Carlton Town’s Evo-Stik league future hangs by a thread following a hugely damaging 2-1 defeat at home to Spalding Utd.
The Millers went into the game out of the relegation zone on goal difference only, but just a point behind the Tulips with a game in hand. They ended the match in the drop zone, two points from safety and with a frankly embarrassing home record of 11 defeats in 14 matches.
Spalding are not the worst side in the division but, like Carlton, they’re not the best and it’s difficult to see where the points will come from in the tougher tests that await between now and the end of the season.
Spalding started the sharper and enjoyed early possession without creating any clear chances. Carlton then began to get on top but their only opportunity of note came on 20 minutes. A corner was cleared to Bertram. He had time and space to shoot on the edge of the box but elected to cross to the back post and the chance was gone.
Out of nothing, and against the general run of play, the Tulips opened the scoring on 28 minutes. A move down the left seemed covered but when the cross came in James Hugo found himself with time and space in the penalty area to steer the ball into the corner of the net.
That was pretty much it for the first half. After the break Niall Davie had an early chance with a free kick on the edge of the box but his effort went harmlessly wide.
Bradley Wells drew a decent save from Jack Steggles before Kyle Stovell made Duggan work for the first time in the game, the keeper saving the striker’s shot with his leg.
Scott brought on Motshweni and he was immediately in the action, sending over a corner that Oliver Clark headed wide from a good position.
Duggan then made a good save from a Stovell shot after a long throw by Kieran Walker and Oliver Clark’s follow-up was blocked.
Spalding then missed two opportunities to double their lead in quick succession. Wells ran through on goal only to fire high over the bar before Romario Martin fired inches wide with Steggles beaten.
Martin made amends on 81 minutes with the game’s clinching goal. He pulled away on the left hand side and then fired low across Steggles and into the corner of the net.
Carlton’s response was limited and after a poor foul by Archie Moyses, Bertram reacted badly, kicked out at James Cullingworth and was sent off.
This was in the first minute of added time but there was still enough time left for Carlton to pull a goal back. Another long throw from Walker saw Stovell’s shot blocked but when the ball fell to Motshweni on the edge of the box he had the composure to position himself and fired a cracker into the corner of the net. It was a rare moment of quality in a poor game and for Carlton it was too little, too late.
Goals: Motshweni 90; James Hugo 28, Romario Martin 81
A recent bus journey in Nottingham brought home to me the staggering scale of the litter problem across the City and County which has, in my view, now reached epidemic proportions.
We are not alone in facing this problem however, as this blight on our landscape, whether in urban or rural areas, is evident throughout the Country.
In August last year I wrote an opinion piece for the Gedling Eye in which I expressed some frustration with and criticism of Gedling Borough Council for failing to respond to my request for information about how the Council would support local residents volunteering to collect litter from the area in which they live. To be clear, this criticism was not aimed at the hard working members of their Parks and Street Care team who face an up-hill and never ending battle to remove rubbish from our streets.
Following publication of this article I was contacted by Councillor Michael Payne, the Deputy Leader of the Council, who apologised for their failure to contact me. Councillor Payne also spoke about his personal and the Borough Council’s commitment to keeping our streets and parks as clean as possible. He also confirmed that Borough Council officers were willing to work closely with community volunteers to support their much appreciated efforts to assist in keeping the borough clean and tidy.
PICTURED: The three bin bags collected (IMAGE: Philip Oddie)
The Borough Council’s Park and Street Care supervisor then contacted me and he could not have been more helpful. He provided me with reflective Jackets, litter pickers and bin bags and agreed that he would arrange for any litter I picked-up to be collected.
The reality is that we cannot simply sit back and expect that the Borough Council will be able to collect all of the rubbish that is deposited onto our streets and parks.
Since then I have filled 36 bin bags with litter from the Willow Lane / Jessops Lane/ Willow Park area of Gedling and all of these bags have been collected by the Council. This has transformed the tidiness of our area, but does require an ongoing effort to keep it litter free.
The reality is that we cannot simply sit back and expect that the Borough Council will be able to collect all of the rubbish that is deposited onto our streets and parks. Given their limited resources and the sheer scale of the problem this would be an impossible task for them however, based upon my experience, local communities can significantly benefit from volunteers who are willing to work in partnership with the Borough Council to improve the areas in which they live. This type of partnership offers great opportunities and, I believe, is a positive way forward.
Of course this effort and cost would not be necessary if it wasn’t for those who care nothing for the places in which they live or visit and continue to deliberately discard their rubbish in our streets and parks however, we cannot simply leave the litter where it is and choose to ignore it or hope that someone else does something about it. Now is a time for action!
The national Great British Spring Clean 2019 initiative is due to run between 22nd March and 23rd April 2019, which encourages individuals/ groups to work in partnership with community organisations, businesses and the government to collect and safely dispose of single-use plastic.
Whether you wish to support this national initiative or simply volunteer in your local area, there has never been a better time or a more pressing need to get involved and to make a difference. Are you willing to help?
Philip Oddie is a local campaigner and also a member of the Willow Farm Action Group
Police are appealing for witnesses after a pensioner sustained serious injuries when his car crashed into a bollard in Netherfield.
The 80-year-old male driver was taken to hospital after the collision in the early hours of Monday morning.
Police say the incident took place at 1.15am.
A spokesman for Nottinghamshire Police said: “We were called to reports that a silver Hyundai 4×4 had collided with a bollard on the Colwick Loop Road today
“If you saw the collision or have any information that could help please call us on 101 quoting incident 24 of 18 February 2019.
“Investigators are particularly keen to hear from any drivers in the area around the time it happened who may have dashcam footage.”
Anyone with information can also contact Crimestoppers
A hair and beauty salon in Gedling is in the running for a prestigious award.
Snips and Tips on Main Road in the village is a finalist in the annual English Hair and Beauty Awards.
The salon has been nominated in the Beauty Team of the Year category – as voted by their clients and public ‘for providing outstanding and exceptional customer service’.
Snips and Tips owner Kirsty York said she was honoured to receive the nomination.
She said: “I’m so proud of our team for all their hard work and it’s lovely to receive recognition for our achievements and services”.
“We are a friendly and relaxed salon based in Gedling. We offer an outstanding range of treatments and products from some of the leading ranges in the professional beauty and hair industry”.
“My team believes in giving professional honest advice on the best treatments and home care for your individual needs”.
“We are open five days a week with two late evenings until 8pm for your convenience.”
Spa Therapist Madi Dhillon said: “It’s been a privilege working at Snips And Tips, I’m excited for our award ceremony and we are very grateful for our lovely clients’ votes.
Plans to create a shared headquarters for Nottinghamshire police and fire services in Arnold are moving forward.
Members of Nottinghamshire and City of Nottingham Fire Authority today agreed to sign up to a new legal partnership for the new joint headquarters at Sherwood Lodge.
The agreement to form a new Limited Liability Partnership means detailed design work will now get underway on the new facilities – which subject to planning approval, are expected to be completed in mid to late 2021.
The major project will see the modification and refurbishment of existing buildings alongside some new-build construction where required. It will also see the current fire HQ at Bestwood Lodge decommissioned and sold.
Among the new facilities will be a police control room, a joint multi-agency incident command room, a new training facility relocating the Police training centre from the current Watnall and Hucknall sites, joint office accommodation, shared meeting and conference facilities, welfare resources, a canteen and a gym.
A tendering process to appoint a contractor is due to be launched this October, ensuring construction and refurbishment work can begin as early as March next year. Staff will transfer to the new facility once all building/refurbishment work is complete.
BACKING: Paddy Tipping
Nottinghamshire Police and Crime Commissioner Paddy Tipping said: “Today is a huge leap forward and brings us even closer to realising our ambitions for a new state-of-the-art base for these two forward-thinking organisations.
“Now that an agreement to develop a legal framework is in place, the real work can begin to design these exciting new facilities and cementing the strong partnership that already exists to improve our blue light services and increase our impact on public safety in the future.”
The Chair of the Fire Authority, Councillor Brian Grocock, said: “We have an absolute commitment to drive the collaboration agenda forward between the two Services, to improve efficiency and effectiveness. These new headquarters will act as a catalyst for a more effective exchange of information, which will ultimately benefit both the communities that our organisations serve, as well as our employees.”
Chief Constable Craig Guildford said: “This is a fantastic opportunity for us to work together and further share our estate, to allow us to provide an even better service to the public. Being in the same place will ensure we have full interoperability on site for an immediate response.
“There will be huge benefits to the public from a joint HQ when tackling community safety and prevention issues, and the improved facilities for our officers and staff, as well as those at Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue, will reinforce my ambition that we are an employer of choice and a commitment to improving the health and wellbeing of those who work at Nottinghamshire Police.”
The estate of the three main emergency services – Police, Fire & Rescue and Ambulance – has been reviewed across the county to identify sites suitable for joint projects and those which are under-utilised, out-dated or no longer needed.
The move is part of a drive by emergency services organisations nationally to work more closely together and create efficiencies to put back into frontline response and improving the service to the public.
The council will be working alongside Waypoint, who manage Carlton Square shopping precinct, to improve the facilities at the site, and also the visual appearance and parking areas.
The cost of the scheme is anticipated to be funded by Local Retail Fund (advised by Waypoint), Gedling Borough Council and supported by grant funding from Nottinghamshire Pre Development fund and, subject to an application, the D2N2 N2 Town Centre Fund.
The project is part of a wider regeneration programme for Carlton to deliver the Gedling Plan objectives of improving the image and facilities available in the area.
Carlton Square (PICTURE: Gedling Eye)
Works would also include improved legibility of pedestrian and vehicular routes within the site, along with new access to customer parking and service only areas.
The council will be seeking resident’s views though consultations at both draft and design stages of the development and if approved, regeneration of the site is expected to be completed by the end of October 2020.
Leader of Gedling Borough Council, Councillor John Clarke said: “This is great news for the residents of Carlton and it’s something which will be very beneficial to the borough. It’s really going to improve the square and give it a much needed lift. We’re working with the owners to turn this into an exciting business hub that will attract shoppers and retailers.”
Chris Moulden from Waypoint Asset Management said: “We’re pleased to be working with Gedling Borough Council to bring forward real improvements to Carlton Square Shopping Centre.”
Arnold has gained a new post office – and it’s open all hours
The town’s brand new Post Office opened yesterday (February 14) at Gedling Road News & Off Licence on Gedling Road.
The new branch offers customers a wide range of Post Office services, from posting letters and parcels to collecting and returning online shopping items.
Customers can also take advantage of a wide range of banking services including cash withdrawals and balance enquiries for customers of all the main UK banks.
OPEN ALL HOURS: The new Post Office will be located inside Gedling Road News & Off Licence store
The new Post Office services are available seven days a week throughout the store’s opening hours: Monday – Saturday: 7am – 8.30pm; Sunday: 7am – 12 noon, offering customers 62 hours and 30minutes of Post Office service a week.
Post Office services are offered from a low-screened, open-plan Post Office counter that is integrated into the retail counter, enabling customers to carry out a wide range of Post Office transactions alongside retail purchases.
The new branch joins Arnold, Woodthorpe Drive and Killisick Estate in bringing vital services to the area.
Ian Johnson, area network change manager for the Post Office, said: “We want to make it as easy as possible for customers to pay their bills, withdraw cash from their bank accounts, and send and collect their mail at a time and place that suits them best.
“We know how important our services are to customers, and are confident that this brand new Post Office that this brand new Post Office alongside the other branches in the area at Arnold, Woodthorpe Drive and Killisick Estate will ensure that people in this area of Arnold have easy access to our services.”