Home Blog Page 779

Teens arrested after police pursuit and helicopter search in Mapperley

A helicopter search and pursuit resulted in two teenagers being arrested earlier this morning in Mapperley Plains, the police has confirmed.

Officers were in pursuit of a suspected stolen Astra at about 3.20am this morning (27). A police helicopter assisted in the pursuit.

After the vehicle came to a stop, in Valley Road, the two occupants fled on foot but both were swiftly arrested following a foot pursuit. Two teenagers have now been detained.

Police-notepad



 

A spokesman for Nottinghamshire Police said: “A 17-year-old boy was arrested on suspicion of theft of a motor vehicle, driving otherwise than in accordance with a licence, driving without insurance and dangerous driving. A 17-year-old boy was arrested on suspicion of theft of a motor vehicle.

They added: “Both boys remain in police custody.”



Firefighters rescue woman after car smashes into wall at Tesco in Carlton

A woman was today rescued by firefighters after her car collided into a wall at a Tesco store in Carlton Hill.

Crews from Arnold and Carlton were called to the incident at the Tesco Superstore in Carlton Hill shortly before 12pm today (February 26).

Car-crash-Tesco-Carlton
Firefighters on the scene at the Tesco store in Carlton (PICTURE: Tim Arnold)



A Notts Fire and Rescue spokesman said: “Firefighters from Carlton and Arnold as well as the Specialist Rescue Unit from Highfields were called to a road traffic collision at a superstore on Carlton hill this afternoon, shortly before midday

“One car had collided with the store front, and crews released one female from the car who was left in the care of East Midlands Ambulance Service.

“The incident had been dealt with shortly before 12:40pm.”



Woman, 60, injured during street robbery in Mapperley Park

0

A woman was injured during a robbery in a Mapperley Park street over the weekend.

Police are now appealing for witnesses following the incident, which happened in the Tavistock Drive area of Mapperley Park at around 7.15pm on Sunday (February 24).

A man approached the woman, in her sixties, and hit her on the head, causing her to fall to the ground and took her handbag. She suffered minor injuries.



The man searched the handbag and then fled in the direction of Lucknow Avenue (pictured).

It’s possible he could have discarded the handbag in nearby gardens so officers are asking residents to keep an eye out. It is a navy blue bag with a monkey on the strap and black/blue purse. If you see something suspicious in your garden, then please leave it where it is and call us to recover it.

A police spokesman said: “The offender is described as being in his early to mid-20s, Asian, around 6ft tall, of a slim build and wearing ‘smart’ clothing which included a black jacket.

“It’s believed he was loitering in the area before the attack. “

If you saw him or have any information that could help, particularly in relation to CCTV, please call us on 101 quoting incident 858 of 24 February. You can also call anonymously through Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Pensioner, 80, dies after car collides with bollard in Netherfield

A pensioner has died following a single-vehicle collision in Netherfield.

Officers were called just after 1.15am on Monday, February 18 2019 to a report that a silver Hyundai 4×4 had collided with a bollard on the Colwick Loop Road, near to the Victoria Retail Park.

The man was taken to Nottingham’s Queens Medical Centre following the collision for treatment for his injuries. He later died in hospital during the early hours of Saturday 23 February 2019.



Specialist detectives from Nottinghamshire Police’s Serious Collision Investigation Unit are continuing their enquiries and offering their support to the man’s family following the incident.

Anyone who witnessed the collision or believes they may have dashcam footage of the incident is asked to call Nottinghamshire Police on 101, quoting incident number 24 of 18 February 2019.

Just the ticket: See inside The Waiting Room – Netherfield’s new coffee shop

1

A new coffee shop opened its doors in Netherfield today and will be just the ticket for those braving the cold when waiting for the train.

The new venue is called The Waiting Room –  a nod to it’s location near Carlton Station – and is based in the former HSBC building on Victoria Road.

It opened to the public this morning (Saturday 23) and the family-run business offers coffees, teas and an array of fine freshly-cooked foods.

Owner Jayne Sissons, who lives in Carlton, has opened the business with her husband, Gary.

(PICTURE: Gedling Eye)

PICTURED: The Waiting Room team, l to r, Jayne Sissons, Seren Smalley, Abbi Green, Gary Sissons and Catherine Kelly



She told Gedling Eye: “I’ve wanted to start a business like this for years. Originally we just wanted to start a small sandwich shop, but our ambition has grown.

“We were just waiting for the perfect location and we found this. We thought at first it was a bit big, but then we thought: ‘let’s just go for it'”

“The other businesses around Netherfield have been really kind to us and are excited we’re starting this up. We hope it will be the starting point to encourage other new ventures to open up in Netherfield.”

  • Got a new business staring up in Gedling borough? Let us know and we’ll try and give you a plug.

  • Gedling Eye now has a Whatsapp group so you can keep up to date with the latest news from across the borough. We will send you one message a day with our main headlines, as well as the big breaking news alerts. To sign up text NEWS to 07958532672. Make sure you add the number to your contacts as ‘Gedling Eye’. We won’t share your phone number or use it anywhere else.

 

Wildlife sculptures in Gedling Country Park targeted again by vandals

3

A councillor has slammed those responsible for damaging more wooden sculptures in Gedling Country Park.

It’s the second time that the sculptures on the park’s nature trail have been targeted.

Sculptures of a rabbit and fox were vandalised last summer and left the council with a repair bill costing hundreds of pounds.

Deputy leader of Gedling Borough Council Cllr Michael Payne slammed those responsible for this latest damage.

Gedling_Rabbit
The ears were removed from this rabbit sculpture in Gedling Country Park last year

He said: This is disgusting, wanton vandalism of our Nature Trail at Gedling Country Park yet again.



“The vile thugs responsible for this damage are the absolute lowest of the low. If you have an information on who did this please get in touch with us so we can inform the police.”

https://twitter.com/MichaelPayneUK/status/1098878180860092416

The sculpture is part of a new nature trail which was opened to the public last summer.

The wooden artwork was funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) and Co-op Gedling’s community fund along with a donation from Cllr Payne’s funding pot.

Anyone with any information should contact Gedling Borough Council or Nottinghamshire Police on 101.

MATCH REPORT: Carlton Town 2-0 AFC Mansfield

Goals from Kieran Walker and Oliver Clark saw Carlton Town beat AFC Mansfield 2-0 in the quarter-finals of the Notts FA Senior Cup.

It was a welcome home win, the first since October and only the third of the entire season, and manager Wayne Scott will have been pleased to have seen Ben Hutchinson return to the side following his head injury in the win at Pickering seven weeks ago.

It was the Bulls who had the first decent chance of the game but Oliver Fearon fired over the bar.

A lovely move involving Riece Bertram, Motshweni and Aaron Opoku saw Bertram have a shot blocked but, with a deceptively powerful wind at their backs, Mansfield took control of the half and created a series of chances that they failed to take.

A long throw was flicked on to Pat Lindley but he shot wide from a good position at the far post.

Next it was James Ghaichem’s turn, as he showed some lovely skill to control a free kick from Liam Marden, turn and get a shot at goal, comfortably saved by Jack Steggles.

Ghaichem’s best chance fell five minutes before half time when Carlton failed to clear a long ball.  The midfielder found himself in a great position but shot wide of the target.

Having been under pressure the Millers should in fact have taken the lead on the stroke of half time.  Niall Davie had just fired over after an excellent run before Carlton were awarded a corner.  Motshweni’s delivery dropped to Eddie Clarke and Kyle Stovell but neither could force the ball home from a couple of yards.



The second half was a completely different affair as Carlton made Mansfield pay for those first half missed chances.

The Millers opened the scoring on 50 minutes.  A Davie free kick was flicked on by Eddie Clarke and Walker stole in to steer the ball into the corner of the net past Tom Crosby.

Opoku then advanced down the left before pulling back to Stovell who fired just wide.

Crosby then made an excellent save at his near post from a fierce Oliver Clark effort after a Walker long throw wasn’t cleared.

At the other end Steggles fumbled a shot from Fearon and Eddie Clarke had to be alert to clear the danger.  That was a rare chance in the second period for the Bulls who seemed to run out of steam, albeit the wind was against them.

Hutchinson was brought on with seven minutes remaining and Carlton sealed the win on 87 minutes when Oliver Clark capped a fine performance by heading a Walker throw into the corner of the net.

There was still time for Mansfield’s Jack Broadhead to get himself sent off in the last minute for an elbow on Steggles to cap a miserable night for the visitors.

Goals: Walker 50, O Clark 87;

Attendance: 75

Walkers in Calverton rejoice after new gate is put in place allowing access to field which had been fenced off suddenly

Walkers in Calverton are today celebrating after a new gate was put in place allowing them access to fields which had been suddenly fenced off several weeks ago.

The field on Hollinwood Lane had been a popular with walkers using it to access Millennium Wood, but a fence appeared blocking people from accessing the land.

People in the community, local MP Mark Spencer and Cllr Jane Walker from Gedling Borough Council were quick to launch a campaign to get access restored.

Mr Spencer recently told Gedling Eye he had met with the land owner to get a kissing gate and fenced-off walkway created.

The new fencing (PHOTO: Sue Broome)



And today members of the Woodland Trust arrived to put in the new gate and fencing which will again allow people to access the land.

Local walkers were quick to voiced their delight on the Calverton Village Facebook group.

Julie Thompson posted: “Great news and an example of how co-operation amongst various groups in the community can help get things done to everyone’s satisfaction.”

Alan Perkins wrote: “Well done to all concerned. Great job! It just shows what can be done when people work together.”



Zero-rated takeaways and restaurants in Gedling borough to be removed from Just Eat app

Takeaways in Gedling borough with a zero rating are set to be removed from popular online ordering platform Just Eat, it has been announced.

Under the new scheme all zero-rated restaurants will be removed from May 1, and restaurants with a food hygiene rating of two or lower will receive funding to get up to the required level.

All new restaurant sign-ups will have to meet the minimum standard of three from the Food Hygiene Rating Scheme

Just Eat already offers food hygiene and safety training to every restaurant that signs up to its platform free of charge.

Graham Corfield, managing director of Just Eat in the UK, said: “At Just Eat, we’re focused on helping the UK’s vibrant takeaway sector grow and thrive.

“We know that running a small, independent business is not without its challenges, and food hygiene and safety is a vital area that restaurants need to get right.

“This is why we have an ever-evolving programme of work dedicated to raising food safety standards across the entire takeaway sector.



“The vast majority of the UK’s takeaway restaurants have good food hygiene standards already, but today’s investment means those that need extra help can now access bespoke support for free.

“Helping our customers access brilliant food and supporting restaurants to prosper and grow is what Just Eat is here to do.

“This investment will help ensure the takeaway sector continues to improve and meet customers’ high expectations.”

Just Eat announced in December 2018 that it will include the official food hygiene rating of each of its UK restaurant partners directly on its platform both in-app and online.

Displaying food hygiene ratings is currently underway in Northern Ireland and will be rolled out across the whole of the UK in the coming months.

It also continues to make significant updates to its API so that a restaurant’s food hygiene rating will automatically update if it changes following a local authority inspection.

This means Just Eat will receive a notification if a restaurant falls below a hygiene rating of three so that it can contact the restaurant to offer access to the new food safety programme.

Access to Level 2 food hygiene training and certification has also been on offer to every business on the platform since 2016, and in 2018 Just Eat partnered with Checkit, a digital food safety management software provider, to allow restaurants to access new digital food safety systems at industry-leading rates.

Heather Hancock, Chairman of the Food Standards Agency said: “I warmly welcome Just Eat’s significant new investment in food safety.

“The company influences thousands of food businesses and reaches millions of customers.

“Quite rightly, Just Eat is making clear that food safety and hygiene must be a top priority for all their partner businesses.

“I’m delighted that, from today, all new businesses joining the Just Eat platform must have a food hygiene rating of three or more and I strongly encourage Just Eat to apply the ‘minimum three rating’ across their platform as soon as practicable.

“This clear commitment to consumers – plus financial support from Just Eat for businesses to improve where they aren’t up to scratch – is the kind of leadership we expect and I believe it will drive up standards for the benefit of all.”

Police get more powers to prevent acid attacks in Gedling borough

Police patrolling Gedling borough are to get more powers to stop and search people they suspect of carrying acid and other corrosive substances.

Home Secretary Sajid Javid will widen the circumstances in which the tactics can be used after a consultation showed their is widespread support for the move.

Currently, police can only stop and search people they suspect of carrying acid with intent to cause injury.



Under the extension, officers would be able to stop and search anyone suspected of carrying a corrosive substance in a public place.

Police-notepad

Home Secretary Sajid Javid said: “Anyone who carries acid to maim and disfigure others is a coward who deserves to face the full force of the law.

“That is why we are giving police officers greater powers to help bring them to justice and protect the public from their sickening crimes – which can leave victims’ with life-changing injuries.

“The police are clear stop and search is one of the most important tools they have in the fight against serious violence – I will continue to give them the support they need to do their vital work.

The Home Office will also keep under review the adequacy of existing powers to tackle offences related to the misuse of laser pointers.