Home Blog Page 641

Nottinghamshire County Council are looking at proposals to revisit ‘super council’ plan

“Super council‘ plans could soon be back on the table after Nottingham County Council revealed they have plans to ‘examine proposals to revisit the issue’.

All councils, including Gedling Borough Council, would be scrapped if the controversial plans were approved by the government – as Nottinghamshire would be managed by one new larger council.

Nottinghamshire County Council’s Policy Committee will now be asked to agree to write to the Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government seeking an invitation from him for all principal local authorities in Nottinghamshire to submit proposals for the establishment of a unitary structure.

This move comes in the light of the developing Government policy on regional devolution to be outlined in the White Paper “Devolution and Local Recovery”, due to be published later this Autumn. 

Civic Centre in Arnold
PICTURED: Civic Centre at Arnot Hill Park

The report outlines the financial and resilience challenges facing local government as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic and its long-term impact on public finances, and identifies that the development of unitary local government in Nottinghamshire offers a more financially efficient means of preserving and delivering effective public services and securing a sustainable recovery from COVID-19.

Leader of Nottinghamshire County Council, Cllr Kay Cutts, said: “I believe that unitary local government for our great County will deliver better services that everyone will be able to access more easily; better value for money for every Council Tax payer, and more prosperity for all. 

“Government policy is certainly moving in that direction and recognises that to aid our recovery from the COVID pandemic, structural reform to unlock investment is vital.

“The current system of local government in Nottinghamshire is out-dated, cumbersome, wasteful and costly. We have a unique opportunity now to build a new way of delivering modern, integrated public services that works for every resident.”

New public square and playground proposed for huge Chase Farm estate in Gedling

A new park and playground in the huge Chase Farm development is set to be approved by planning bosses in Gedling next week. 

The development, which will eventually include more than 1,000 homes, is also expected to include a primary school and community centre, as well as business units and a pub/restaurant. 

Now, plans have been submitted for the new public square, and are recommended for approval at a meeting on Wednesday, September 9.

The site is currently vacant and largely flat land. Some homes to the south and west of where the new square will be built are in construction, but none are yet occupied.

The site sits to the south east of the development.

Plans for the square were initially approved in principle as part of the wider scheme in 2017, but now more detailed plans have been put forward.

A council report on the square states: “The primary changes to the urban square are that previously there appeared to be three distinct character areas and a greater degree of hardstanding; however, this has changed to have a central walkway with a focal point and more conventional green landscaping. 

“Play equipment and a trim trail are proposed within the space, with similar equipment approved under the previous scheme, too.”

Chase Farm
PICTURED: Chase Farm

A condition set out by the council is that work has to start on the site within three years, and that plants will be in the ground from Spring next year.

A spokesperson for Keepmoat Homes – the developer behind the scheme – said: “Following Keepmoat’s successful completion of the first phase of 171 new homes at the major development site at Chase Farm, the second phase of the development is now underway, with the first customers due to be moving into their homes from September.

“Keepmoat Home’s vision for the site is to create a new and sustainable community with diverse green spaces at its heart, which benefits both new and existing residents, and creates a green link to Gedling Country Park, which sits to the edge of Chase Farm. 

“Plans for the new urban square, which have been submitted to Gedling Borough Council, create a new green space linking the surrounding homes to future plans for a new primary school, local centre and pedestrian access to the country park.”

The public square has been recommended for approval at a meeting of Gedling Borough Council’s planning committee on Wednesday, September 9.

Popular pub landlady prepares to hand over reins at much-loved Elwes Arms in Carlton

Popular landlady Beccy Webster has spoken of her sadness to be leaving The Elwes Arms in Carlton but says ‘it’s for the right reasons’.

Beccy today (Monday, 7) revealed via a post on the pub’s Facebook page that she would be giving up as landlady after 15 years in charge.

The 32-year-old was just 18 when she took over the pub on Oakdale Road in 2005 – making her the youngest landlady in the country at the time.

But Beccy today said will now hand over control of the Elwes so she can spend more time with her family

She will continue running The Gedling Inn, which she took over in 2019.

Elwes-Arms
PICTURED: Beccy Webster scooped a Best bar None award for the Elwes Arms during her time in charge

She told Gedling Eye: “There are simply no words to describe the time I have had over the last 15 or more years at the Elwes.

“There has been so many parties, weddings, meals and, sadly, funerals here. It has all been a journey that I have literally grown up in.

“So many people at The Elwes hold a special place in my heart and I have worked there over half of my life

“It was the hardest decision to make but the right one for the right reasons.

She added: “Hopefully everyone will stay in touch and come and visit me at The Gedling Inn where my latest adventure in this crazy trade continues.”

MATCH REPORT: Carlton Town 2-1 Staveley Miners Welfare

A quick-fire brace from Jordan Smith saw Carlton Town beat Staveley Miners Welfare 2-1 on Saturday in a pre-season friendly.

Smith struck twice within a couple of minutes early in the second half and although Jon Froggatt pulled a goal back for the visitors it wasn’t enough in an entertaining friendly.

Staveley created the first real chance when Toby Randall made an excellent save from Froggatt on 10 minutes, pushing his close range shot onto the post following a cross from Myron Gibbons.

At the other end Kamani Wilson looked set to score from a Smith cross but Rio Alberry made an excellent save of his own.

Smith then headed just wide from a Patrick Quinn free kick whilst at the other end Charlie Oglesby went close with a header.

Brad Jones went close to scoring for the visitors just before the break but his cross-shot went just wide.

The Millers opened the scoring on 56 minutes.  Smith won the ball in the area, stepped inside his man and fired into the corner of the net.

Two minutes later he doubled the lead.  Wilson broke into the area and when his shot was saved Smith controlled the loose ball and rifled home.

Staveley increased the intensity in the closing 15 minutes and Froggatt headed home on 78 minutes to reduce the arrears.  But Randall made a couple of excellent saves late on to secure the win.

Carlton Town: Randall, Sturgess (Cochrane 46), Quinn, Fletcher, Brown, Mabonga (Deft 73), Whitten, Bako (Shaw 60), J Smith, Wilson, Deft (Graham 46).

Goals: J Smith 56, 58; [i]J Froggatt 78[/i]

Plans for 351 new homes in Calverton could get go-ahead this week

A developer will find out if their plans for more than 350 new homes in Calverton can go ahead at a council meeting on Wednesday.

Persimmon Homes has submitted the plans for the new housing on land off Park Road in the village.

Gedling Borough Council is expected to approve the planning application at a meeting on Wednesday (September 9)

The application is for 351 dwellings, 70 of which will be affordable, with a split of 49 social rent and 21 intermediate housing e.g. shared ownership.

The dwellings to be erected will be a mixture of two and two and a half-storeys in scale, ranging from two to four bed.

There will be access points proposed for vehicles , one from Park Road and the other from Collyer Road, along with four small private drives from Park Road.

Civic-Centre
Plans will go before Gedling Borough Council on Wednesday

The main access will be that from Park Road, which is proposed to be the primary road into the site at 6.75m wide with a footway on either side, which would extend to the boundary of the safe guarded land to the immediate north.

The report also noted that a footpath, which runs through the site will have to be diverted once construction begins.

The local planning recommendation is to grant approval, subject to the imposition of conditions.

Man to appear in court after police officers were allegedly punched and kicked in Carlton

A man is to appear in court after police officers were allegedly attacked in Carlton

Dale Lappin, 26, from Carlton has been charged with two counts of assault by beating of an emergency worker and further counts of driving without insurance, driving otherwise than in accordance with a licence and failing to provide an specimen for analysis.

He has been remanded in custody to appear at Nottingham Magistrates’ Court on Monday (7).

Magistrates-Court
PICTURED: Nottingham Magistrates’ Court

Officers said they were called to reports of an intoxicated man who was acting aggressively during an alleged incident in Burton Road shortly after 8.45pm yesterday.

Police arrived and found a man sat in the driver’s seat of a car. During his arrest it’s alleged he punched one officer to their face and body and kicked another in the face.

Police said both officers only suffered minor injuries and their welfare is being looked after.

Detective Inspector Stuart Temple, of Nottinghamshire Police, said: “We will not tolerate assaults on police officers and other frontline emergency workers. They should not have to suffer violence at any time nor as they continue to serve the public in these challenging times.

“The message is loud and clear that anyone who commits offences of this nature can expect to be dealt with swiftly and robustly.”

VIDEO: Dash-cam footage shows police chasing dangerous driver suspected of stealing lead from house in Carlton

Dashcam footage shows the moment a dangerous driver raced head-on towards traffic after trying to evade police after they began a chase after suspected him of stealing lead from a garden in Carlton.

Nathan Cossey tried desperately to escape justice and mounted the kerb and also drove at speed on the wrong side of the road.

But the 33-year-old was safely put in cuffs after abandoning his car and trying to run for it.

The chase started after Cossey, of Hendon Rise in Thorneywood, stole lead from the garden of a house in Porchester Road, Carlton.

Cossey was spotted in the garden on 1 July by a woman, loading a pile of lead from the garden into a car. The woman called the police and took photos of Cossey taking the lead as well as photos of the car.

The dramatic footage, released today by Nottinghamshire Police, shows a chase after officers spotted the car less than an hour later in Sneinton. They blocked Baden Powell Road in an attempt to stop the car, but the driver raced away. Cossey was pursued and can be seen driving dangerously at high speed, mounting the kerb and driving on the wrong side of the road towards oncoming traffic.Cossey was detained by officers after abandoning the car in Poplar Street in Nottingham city centre.

He appeared at Nottingham Crown Court yesterday (Thursday 3 September) after pleading guilty to theft, failing to stop, dangerous driving, driving without insurance and driving without a licence at an earlier hearing. He was given a 12 month prison sentence, suspended for two years, will have to attend a behavioural programme and has been disqualified from driving for 12 months.

Police Constable Emily Hart, who investigated the incident, said: “Cossey showed a complete disregard for the safety of others by driving at speed in a built up area.

“He was pursued by highly trained officers who constantly assess the risk to the public and only continue if it is safe to do so. As a result of their actions, a dangerous driver has now been prosecuted.

“I’d also like to commend the quick thinking of the woman who captured vital evidence which ultimately led to Cossey’s arrest.

“I’m glad we were able to put this case before the courts and show that theft and dangerous driving are both completely unacceptable.”

Police issue ‘laughing gas’ warning and urge parents in Gedling borough to speak to children about dangers of drug

Parents in Gedling borough have been urged to speak to their children to deter them from using ‘laughing gas’ which can prove deadly.

Nottinghamshire Police issued the warning after officers and local authorities reported finding empty small silver canisters while patrolling in neighbourhoods in the borough, especially where young people are known to meet including parks, car parks and other public areas.

Police said they will now be increasing patrols in areas where there’s evidence of nitrous oxide use and are working alongside partners, including Nottinghamshire County Council, to raise further awareness of the dangers of inhaling the substance.

The force is also calling for parents to be vigilant for signs that their children may be purchasing the substance online.

Supplying nitrous oxide for recreational purposes is illegal under a section of the 2016 Psychoactive Substances Act, and you could be hit with a prison sentence of up to seven years, an unlimited fine or both for selling it.

Someone driving after they have inhaled nitrous oxide could also be found guilty of drug driving offence.

Chief Superintendent Rob Griffin, of Nottinghamshire Police, said: “This is a worrying trend that puts the communities we serve at risk.

“Inhaling nitrous oxide can be dangerous and can lead to loss of blood pressure, heart attack, unconsciousness and can ultimately lead to death.

“The health risks are likely to be exacerbated if the exposure to the gas is combined with alcohol or other drugs.

“I’m urging our young people to really think about their actions and the possible consequences it could have including serious damage to their health or worse.

“Please ask yourself if the risks of inhaling this substance are really worth it?

“I’m also asking parents and families to support us by being vigilant for the signs of nitrous oxide and to talk to their children about the risks associated with it and ensure they are safe.

“I would also ask our local communities to help us keep people safe. If you see any suspicious activity where you think nitrous oxide is being consumed, please report it to Nottinghamshire Police on 101 and our officers will visit the area.”

Nottinghamshire County Council is working closely with Nottinghamshire Police and other local partners to minimise the harms caused by substance misuse to individuals and communities. This is done through partnership activity focused on restricting supply, reducing demand and providing appropriate advice, support and treatment when needed.

Jonathan Gribbin, Director of Public Health for Nottinghamshire, said: “Together with Nottinghamshire Police and the Crime Commissioner, we have commissioned Change Grow Live, a drug and alcohol service for young people, adults and Nottinghamshire families.

“As lockdown restrictions eased, the service observed an increase in young people coming together to spend time with their friends and it is recognised that young people could be putting themselves at risk of the harmful effects of substance use.”

Nottinghamshire’s Police and Crime Commissioner Paddy Tipping said: “The apparent rise in the use of nitrous oxide across the country is worrying, particularly with young people now spending increasing amounts of time together following lockdown.

“It is vital they are made fully aware of the dangers they face – it is not only illegal to supply this substance but it is also extremely dangerous and there are serious side effects, with users risking potential unconsciousness or death.

“I welcome the partnership work underway to target those distributing this drug within the community and support young people, adults and their families who are impacted by substance misuse. Young people must be encouraged to think again before making a decision that could cost them their lives.”

Rachel Nicholls, Services Manager at Change Grow Live, said: “Our service aims to keep people safe and offer practical advice and support.

“We have recently launched a campaign called #helpyourmate specifically to promote harm reduction advice amongst young people at this time.

“If you are looking for advice or support about nitrous oxide, either for yourself or for a loved one, I’d urge you to contact Change Grow Live for support.”

Call Change Grow Live on 0115 8960 798 or email notts@cgl.org.uk. For further information visit, www.changegrowlive.org/help-your-mate

Share by email

20 speeding motorists warned during police day of action in Gedling

Police gave warnings to 20 speeding motorists in Gedling after concerns were raised by members of the community.

On Thursday night (September 3) Gedling’s team of Proactive Special Constables were tasked with trying to tackle the problem.

The team conducted checks across built-up residential areas identified by the public of having frequent speeding motorists.

More than 60 vehicles were checked during the action, with approximately 20 motorists given words of advice in relation to their speed.

Two motorists were served with Notices of Intended Prosecution for considerably exceeding the limit.

A spokesman said: “Over the coming days and weeks, the team will continue to clamp-down on those who choose to deliberately commit criminal offences across the borough as they work hard to tackle issues that affect communities the most.”

Man suffers head injuries after being attacked with baseball bat in Calverton

A man suffered serious injuries after he was reportedly hit over the head with a baseball bat in Calverton.

Police were called to an address in the village shortly after 1am this morning after man was found to have been assaulted.

The victim, a man in his 30s, remains in hospital at the Queen’s Medical Centre where he is being treated for a serious head injury.

A 51-year-old man was arrested shortly afterwards on suspicion of assault and remains in police custody.

Detective Sergeant Charlotte Henson, of Nottinghamshire Police, said: “This was a nasty assault that has resulted in a serious injury to the victim. This kind of violence is completely unacceptable and I am determined to get to the bottom of what happened here. 

“If you have any information that may assist our investigation please call 101 quoting incident 43 of Sunday 5 September.