A new Nisa Local store will replace the local Co-op in Gedling next month and its owner is promising ‘more choice’ for residents.
The Gedling Road Co-op will close its doors in early July and the new independent owner will re-open under a Nisa Local fascia just days later.
Dharsan Premkumar of independent convenience store operator The Highbury Vale Limited, said the Nisa Local will offer a wide selection of Co-op own brand products including all the best sellers and there will be more choice for shoppers.
He said: “We are very community based and so we make sure our range responds to what our shoppers want.
“We will still be offering our customers the best of Co-op through a bigger Co-op own-brand range than is currently available, and overall there will be more choice in the store from across all brands.”
New promotions and deals will be introduced from many well-known brands, a coffee machine is to be installed along with a Payzone service and the current Evri service (previously Hermes) will continue to operate.
Nisa is part of The Co-op Group, which also means the current staff employed in the store will remain, ensuring a continued friendly service from familiar faces in the store.
“We are looking forward to opening the store with a fresh look and offering even more choice to local people in the community,” added Dharsan.
The current Co-op is set to cease trading on Tuesday, July 12 with the Nisa Local set to open its doors less than a week later on Monday, July 18.
A heroic police officer fought with and detained a violent burglar from Arnold who broke into a home.
Durrell Hartley, of Arnold, stormed into the house in Edwalton and headed straight upstairs into the main bedroom, dragged his victim out of bed and gagged her before demanding to be told where money was being kept.
After further ordering her to tell him where a watch and phone were, he then shoved the woman grabbing her mouth and neck while he continued messily searching the bedroom.
The 23-year-old then dragged her downstairs and forced her to accompany him as he continued to ransack the house in search of valuables.
Hearing police sirens outside, Hartley attempted to flee from the address but was quickly confronted in the property by the lone officer.
A violent struggle then ensued, with Hartley fighting the officer in a desperate bid to escape.
The officer was left needing surgery after breaking his hand in two places but was still able to stop Hartley in his tracks and hold onto him until back-up arrived.
The victim’s partner was also attacked during the incident which happened on the night of Friday 5 November 2021.
Appearing at Nottingham Crown Court on Monday (6 June) Hartley was jailed for a total of eight years after pleading guilty to aggravated burglary and possession of cannabis. He also admitted breaching a suspended sentence order.
Detective Constable Nathan Wall, of Nottinghamshire Police, said: “This must have been an incredibly scary ordeal for the victims, who were both violently assaulted in their own home.
“The responding officer in this case showed extreme bravery as he first confronted and then fought with Hartley inside the address.
“Had this violent criminal managed to get away he may well have escaped justice altogether. As it is he is now starting a lengthy jail sentence.
“I hope today’s sentence provides at least some comfort to the victims and also sends a strong message to others who are thinking of carrying out offences of this nature.
“We will respond very quickly and we will do everything in our power to bring you to justice.”
Nottinghamshire’s Police and Crime Commissioner Caroline Henry said she remains committed to catching speeding motorists despite being caught five times herself.
Henry was elected as crime commissioner in May 2021 and is responsible for holding Nottinghamshire Police to account and overseeing the force’s spending.
She appeared at Nottingham Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday, May 3, after committing five speeding offences from March to June 2021.
Mrs Henry, 51, of Giltbrook, pleaded guilty to all five offences. The case will be heard and sentenced by a district judge in July.
The case led critics to call for her to resign from the £76,500-a-year job, and some also questioned whether she could be removed from office because she had pleaded guilty to a crime.
On Monday she appeared at her first formal public meeting since her court appearance.
The Police and Crime Panel at County Hall on Monday, June 6, is set up to support and challenge Mrs Henry about the decisions she makes.
It is made up of both councillors and independent members.
A report to the panel published before the before the meeting says 12 complaints about the commissioner were received in response to media reports following her court appearance.
It states the panel does not need to record a conduct matter if it “has been, or is already being, dealt with by means of criminal proceedings against the person to whose conduct the matter relates”.
Once court proceedings are concluded on July 19, the matter remains “outside the scope” of the panel’s arrangements for dealing with complaints and conduct matters.
Conduct matters and serious complaints are therefore to be referred to the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC).
This includes Police and Crime Commissioner actions where there is an indication of criminal wrongdoing. However, there’s an exclusion if already subject to criminal proceedings.
The IOPC will therefore not be investigating the matter.
The chair of Nottinghamshire’s Police and Crime Panel, Christine Goldstraw, who served as a magistrate for 10 years, said she believed the only way Mrs Henry could leave office is by being voted out, unless she chose to stand down.
Councillors and independent members at the Police and Crime Panel meeting were advised not to challenge Mrs Henry until the court case had concluded.
However, Mrs Henry said she wanted to address the room.
She said: “I think it is only right to publicly acknowledge the court case in which I am involved as a private citizen.
“Given that some of the information is already in the public domain, unfortunately because this matter has not been formally concluded at court I cannot discuss it or take questions on the matter.
“I have to avoid any possible interference in the judicial outcome of the case, which will be concluded in approximately six weeks time.
“What I am able to do however is restate the apology.
“I am very ashamed, embarrassed and sorry and I remain passionate about fulfilling the responsibility expected of me as Police and Crime Commissioner for Nottinghamshire.”
Later in the meeting, she was asked by Cllr Michael Edwards (Lab), ward councillor for the Meadows at Nottingham City Council, about her commitment to speeding.
He said: “We have been on it for years in Nottingham city and done some controversial things. The car driving public do not appreciate what we do but we have got the city down to a 20mph speed limit.
“Some of it is not instantly popular – but we know we have got to get speeding down and do more – including catching people and prosecuting people for speeding.”
Mrs Henry responded: “There is about 100,000 people in Nottinghamshire each year that break the speed limit and out of those 40,000 are entitled to a speeding awareness course.
“As part of the next round of my community grants there will be an opportunity for people to bid in to do community speedwatch. I am absolutely committed to doing this.”
Following the court case there have been public calls for the commissioner to resign and criticism by Labour’s Nottingham South MP, Lilian Greenwood, in the House of Commons.
Mrs Henry has consistently said she will not comment further until the case is concluded in July.
Nottingham City Transport have today announced plans to introduce new timetables on some Gedling borough services from Sunday 19th June 2022.
The new timetables reflect driver availability and passenger levels over the summer period, ensuring NCT advertises a level of service that customers can rely on and matches current demand. NCT passenger numbers are currently at around 80% of their pre-pandemic levels.
The following changes to Monday to Saturday daytime timetables will be made:
Lilac 25 and 27 will each operate every 15 minutes on Monday to Saturday daytimes, providing a combined 7/8 minute frequency between City and Carlton Square.
PICTURED: Red 44 bus
Sky Blue 45 will operate every 12 minutes on Saturday daytimes to Mapperley and Gedling.
There will be revised Sunday timetables on Red 44.
David Astill, NCT managing director said, “With patronage levels only at around 80% of what they were pre-pandemic, we are reluctantly introducing timetable changes to some services. This will also ensure we can deliver the timetable we advertise over the summer, when there is a peak in drivers having their well-earned summer holiday too”.
New timetables can be viewed in the NCTX Buses app and at www.nctx.co.uk with printed timetable leaflets available from regular outlets from the end of this week.
A series of overnight road closures in Gedling borough begin tonight (June 6).
The closures are for resurfacing and are part of the final phase of works on the Gedling Access Road, now known as Colliery Way.
The lengths of roads to be resurfaced are:
The A6211 Gedling Road – From its junction with the B684 Plains Road to 30m northwest of Whitby Crescent
Arnold Lane from its junction with the B684 Plains Road to the new traffic island on Colliery Way
The B684 Mapperley Plains at the junction with the A6211 Gedling Road and Arnold Lane
The B684 Plains Road from its junction with the A6211 Gedling Road / Arnold Lane to the Westdale Lane West junction.
Closures will be in place each evening between 8pm and 6am and have been split into two phases.
The first phase of these works will take place at the Mapperley Plains, Plains Road, Gedling Road and Arnold Lane junction with a number of approaching roads also affected. These works will take place over 11 nights starting on Monday, June 6 at 8pm, and lasting until the morning of Friday, June 17.
The second phase of works are part of the county council’s Highways Capital Programme 2022/23 and will take place on Plains Road each evening from 8pm on Friday, June 17 until the morning of Sunday, June 21.
Gary Wood, head of Highways and Transport at Nottinghamshire County Council, said: “We have chosen to undertake these works overnight to minimise the disruption to motorists and residents.
“These resurfacing works are part of the last phase of works following the opening of Colliery Way in March and we would like to thank local residents and motorists for their patience whilst we have been working on this scheme.
“Pedestrian access will be maintained throughout the closures however there may be times where vehicle access to properties is not possible and so we are asking any local residents with special circumstances including disabled access, health visits, deliveries and collections should contact Steve Whyld from Via East Midlands by calling 0115 804 2158 or by emailing gar@viaem.co.uk
“Traffic marshalls will be in the vicinity of the junctions and the works area throughout the working periods to give advice on access / egress for residents. Please take care during these works and observe all signs and instructions from site personnel to ensure everyone stays safe.”
Prime Minister Boris Johnson will face a vote of no confidence in his leadership, it has been confirmed.
Sir Graham Brady, the leader of the 1922 Committee of backbench Tory MPs, announced this morning that he had received 54 letters backing a vote.
That is the number needed to trigger a confidence motion in the Prime Minister, who will now have to persuade a majority of Conservatives to back him if he is to continue in the job.
Earlier today, long-time supporter Jesse Norman confirmed he had submitted a no confidence letter in the PM.
Sir Graham said in a statement: ‘The threshold of 15% of the parliamentary party seeking a vote of confidence in the leader of the Conservative Party has been exceeded.
‘In accordance with the rules, a ballot will be held between 6pm and 8pm today, Monday 6th JUNE – details to be confirmed.
‘The votes will be counted immediately afterwards. An announcement will be made at a time to be advised. Arrangements for the announcement will be released later today.’
Unleaded and diesel prices are taken from petrolprices.com – and are correct to within the last three days.
The average price for a litre of petrol at UK forecourts was a record 172.73p as of Wednesday – an increase of nearly 3p per litre in a week, according to the AA.
The hunt for Gedling borough’s cheapest petrol and diesel prices continues.
A village hall extension and outdoor area for new pub are amongst the many applications submitted to Gedling Borough Council in the last week.
Here is a round-up of the latest plans that the council’s planning officers will now decide on.
Arnold
Single storey side and rear extension to create an open plan kitchen dining room and new utility room with canopy. 27 Homefield Avenue Arnold Nottinghamshire NG5 8FZ Ref. No: 2022/0589
Proposal to install 2x fascia, 1x projecting sign, 2xdibond, 1x vinyl Tesco Express Oxclose Lane Arnold Nottinghamshire NG5 6FZ Ref. No: 2022/0567
Single Storey Side Extension with Roof Replacement to Existing Rear Extension. 41 Ashdale Road Arnold Nottinghamshire NG5 8BH Ref. No: 2022/0554
Erection of single storey flat roof rear extension with skylight window. 2 Maplebeck Road Arnold Nottinghamshire NG5 7JT Ref. No: 2022/0544
Change of use to A4 with internal alterations to facilitate the use. Cooling fan fitted to the rear of building. Outside seating area to the front with awning. 72 Front Street Arnold Nottinghamshire NG5 7EJ Ref. No: 2022/0472
Bestwood
Single storey rear extension 15 Larch Close Bestwood Nottinghamshire NG5 8SB Ref. No: 2022/0537
Burton Joyce
New dormer window on front elevation 11 Woodside Road Burton Joyce Nottinghamshire NG14 5AW Ref. No: 2022/0600
Calverton
Approval of details reserved by condition 5 (materials) of planning permission 2020/0020 Land North West Park Road Calverton Nottinghamshire Ref. No: 2022/0583DOC
Single storey side and rear extension 110 Lee Road Calverton Nottinghamshire NG14 6NA Ref. No: 2022/0505
Extension to the existing village hall building to include a parish office, meeting room, workshop and three community units William Lee Recreation Ground, Community Hall Park Road Calverton Nottinghamshire NG14 6SA Ref. No: 2022/0491
Erection of a front boundary wall and gates and erection of outbuildings. 321 Main Street Calverton NG14 6LT Ref. No: 2021/1190
Carlton
Single and two storey rear extensions 6 Avondale Road Carlton Nottinghamshire NG4 1AF Ref. No: 2022/0604
Non-material amendment to planning permission 2021/1432 (replacement of sections of cladding with render) Midlands Academy Of Dance And Drama 50 Cornhill Road Carlton Nottingham Nottinghamshire NG4 1GE Ref. No: 2022/0611NMA
Construction of a single storey rear extension 79 First Avenue Carlton Nottinghamshire NG4 1PH Ref. No: 2022/0593
Erection of dwelling & parking area 12 Verne Close Carlton Nottinghamshire NG4 1FJ Ref. No: 2022/0588
Non-material amendment to planning permission 2015/1376 (alterations to materials) Land At Chase Farm (Former Gedling Colliery), Adjacent To Arnold Lane And Land Off Lambley Lane Gedling Nottinghamshire Ref. No: 2022/0608NMA
Two storey side extension 67 County Road Gedling Nottinghamshire NG4 4JN Ref. No: 2022/0578
First floor front extension 35 Oaktree Drive Gedling Nottinghamshire NG4 4DA Ref. No: 2022/0563
Lambley
No planning applications this week
Linby
No planning applications this week
Mapperley
Change of use of land from garage court to residential garden and the erection of a garden shed (retrospective) 7 Thurlestone Drive Mapperley Nottinghamshire NG3 5SD Ref. No: 2022/0536
Convert part of the existing garage to form a groom room for a dog grooming business 76 Haywood Road Mapperley Nottinghamshire NG3 6AE Ref. No: 2022/0533
Conversion of existing part integral garage; construct new bay window to front elevation and replace flat roof with new tiled pitched roof. 39 Kent Road Mapperley Nottinghamshire NG3 6BE Ref. No: 2022/0477
Netherfield
No planning applications this week
Newstead
Single storey rear extension Lord Byron House Newstead Abbey Park Station Avenue Newstead Nottingham Nottinghamshire NG15 8GE Ref. No: 2022/0592PN
New dropped kerb and erection of new raised driveway to front garden plus modifications to front boundary wall for access 2 Hucknall Road Newstead Nottinghamshire NG15 0BD Ref. No: 2022/0543
Papplewick
Proposed front two storey extension, rear single storey extension and new porch Barracks Farm Forest Lane Papplewick Nottinghamshire NG15 8FG Ref. No: 2022/0580
Ravenshead
No planning applications this week
Redhill
No planning applications this week
Stoke Bardolph
No planning applications this week
Woodborough
Erection of single storey rear and first floor side extension Woodvale Bank Hill Woodborough Nottinghamshire NG14 6EF Ref. No: 2022/0582
T1 – Fell (Monterey Cypress) 153 Main Street Woodborough Nottinghamshire NG14 6DD Ref. No: 2022/0569TPO
Non-material amendment to planning permission 2020/1164 – insertion of two additional Velux roof windows into the north elevation. 4 Pinfold Crescent Woodborough Nottingham Nottinghamshire NG14 6DQ Ref. No: 2022/0548NMA
Woodthorpe
Rear single storey extension on footprint of existing conservatory. 3 Bonington Road Woodthorpe Nottinghamshire NG3 5JR Ref. No: 2022/0574
Two storey front extension and single storey rear extension 21 Greys Road Woodthorpe Nottinghamshire NG5 4GU Ref. No: 2022/0570
Single storey extension to rear. 13 Arno Vale Road Woodthorpe Nottingham Nottinghamshire NG5 4JH Ref. No: 2022/0564
The event drew a huge crowd with hundreds of residents turning out to see the momentous occasion.
The park beacon has only been lit once before and that was to mark the Queen’s 90th birthday back in 2016.
Crowds gathered at the site of the beacon (PHOTO: Gedling Eye)(PHOTO: Gedling Eye)Speeches were given before the beacon was lit (PHOTO: Gedling Eye)Council workers light the beacon with the Mayor watching on (PHOTO: Gedling Eye)(PHOTO: Gedling Eye)
There were more than 1,500 beacons lit across the nation and Commonwealth tonight, the first evening of the four-day Jubilee weekend.
The evening started with live music from Carlton Brass Band at the Cafe 1899.
People then ventured down to the beacon site in time for the countdown to the lighting was led by Mayor of Gedling Peter Barnes.
Once the beacon was lit a lone piper performed Diu Regnare by Stuart Liddell. The same music was performed by every piper across the UK at the other beacon lighting events.