Home Blog Page 748

Bee-friendly road verges planned across Gedling borough

Road verges across Gedling borough are set to become more ‘bee-friendly’ with less aggressive verge trimming, more trees planted, and current trees left to grow.

It is hoped the scheme could save money for the cash-strapped Nottinghamshire County Council, while also encouraging biodiversity and greener spaces.

The council also believes they should be doing their bit to boost the bee population across the area.

The move comes after a small-scale trial last year to cut grass less often, but due to the heatwave last summer the uncut grass grew less than expected and the results of the trial have been deemed inconclusive.

Now, a wider trial will be held this year with more environmentally-friendly policies trialled, and then a review will be held next year.

If deemed successful, it could be rolled out in more places across the county council’s 2,600-mile road network.

The county’s highways boss, Councillor John Cottee, said the review would look in-depth at this.

“If that review concludes that it is safe to cut vegetation less extensively, or less often than it is now, then this will be a win-win policy, easing pressure on the budget, while increasing the opportunity for wildflowers, and small wildlife to flourish on our roadsides.”

As well as the wildflower planting, the trial is also going to look at whether weed control could be done less frequently. 

Glyphosate, a controversial weed killer which was linked to cancer in a high-profile US court case last year, is currently used by the council on its land.

Councillor Cottee, who represents Keyworth for the Conservatives said: “I suspect many of us in this chamber would agree in principle to minimising the amount of chemicals we use in our local natural environment. It can only be a good thing.

“Therefore I’m seeking the support of members to carefully review products we use for weed control, and investigate whether there is scope to reduce the amount of chemicals we apply, and the frequency with which it is applied.

“This is really the first step of this, and while there may be savings in cutting grass there will be other costs involved. So I’m not expecting to make a load of money in this.”

Labour councillor John Peck, who represents Sherwood Forest, said: “We are playing our part in reversing the decline of bees, other insect life and butterflies, but I think more of this can be done.

“Just not cutting grass by itself doesn’t encourage that much in the way of wild flowers, and without proper management the result is just very long grass.

“We are strongly in favour of the suggestion of planting more trees on county council land.”

The motion was unanimously passed at a meeting of Nottinghamshire County Council yesterday, Thursday, July 11.

Councillors dig deep to support project at Bridle Lodge in Burton Joyce

Two recently-elected councillors are digging deep to help a good cause in their local ward.

Cllrs Sam Smith and Michael Adams, who recently won election onto Gedling Borough Council, have donated £220 to support a project at a local residential centre in Burton Joyce for people with autism and learning disabilities.

The two responded to a plea from Bridle Lodge who are appealing for funds to refurbish their garden and polytunnel so young people at the centre can learn to grow, harvest and cook their own vegetables.

The project is called Seed to Feed.

The facility now has around half of the funds needed to repair the polytunnel.

But a day is now being organised where volunteers can help dig up the gardens at Bridle Lodge and transform them into vegetable patches.

Both Cllr Smith and Adams will be among volunteers taking part in the event on July 13 between 11am and 2pm.

The facility is now appealing for others to take part in the dig.

A spokesman for Creative Care, which runs the centre, said: “Although we do not yet have the funds to repair the polytunnel the young people have been plating seedlings for the garden, which is great news.

“We’re delighted by the brilliant support from Trent Councillors Sam Smith and Michael Adams for the funds and offering to volunteer at Bridle Lodge on Saturday. We now hope the weather is kind to us.

“Please join us if you are able to. Bacon butties and a cuppa will be thrown in.”

The councillors said: ” We’re delighted that we could donate to Bridle Lodge’s Seed to Feed project and look forward to helping out with the digging on Saturday.”

Please contact the manager of Bridle Lodge, Louise Jones, if you wish to take part in the event. You can find details here: http://www.creativecare.org.uk/contact-us/

Man appears in court charged with historic child abuse at Mapperley children’s home

0

A man appeared in court today (July 11) charged with historic child sexual abuse at a children’s home in Mapperley.

Robert Watchorn, of Broomhill Road, Bulwell, has been charged with three counts of indecent assault on a boy under the age of 16 years at the former Beechwood Children’s Home in Woodborough Road between April 19, 1998 and July 1, 1998.

He appeared at Nottingham Magistrates’ Court today where he was granted bail to appear at Nottingham Crown Court on August 8.

The investigation is part of Operation Equinox, a long-running investigation by Nottinghamshire Police into historical abuse at care homes.

Taken Too Soon event at Carlton Town on Sunday will raise funds to fight youth knife crime and also remember its victims

An event to raise funds to help fight youth knife crime and also remember its victims is taking place at Carlton Town this Sunday (July 14).

The Taken Too Soon event will take place at the club’s ground on Stoke Lane and starts at 10am.

The main event will be a charity football match which will see an AC13 ALL Stars (Pro Celebrity) XI take on a Nottinghamshire Police All Star XI

As well as the match, a soccer skills school, rides and bouncy castle and food and refreshment will also be on offer.

There will be music from a number of artists including Trinity Square, who recently on BBC Radio 1Xtra and Hollie Fallon.

Some of the city’s top talent will also be taking to the stage to battle it out on the day to win the Nottingham’s Got Talent competition.

A number of guest speakers have also been lined up to speak. These include knife crime campaigner Trish Bergan and Channel Wallace from hit BBC documentary ‘Life After My Brother’s Murder’.

Taken Too Soon is the brainchild of Roger Henry who has been campaigning for many years on a better future for the youth of Nottingham.

He told Gedling Eye: ” Our aim through the Taken Too Soon campaign is rid the gang culture and youth violence that surrounds the city to make it a better place for all of us to live in.

“The Taken Too Soon event is a full day of activity, celebration and remembrance of loved ones whose lives have been taken too soon either through illness or through violence.

Carlton-Town
VENUE: The event is taking place at Carlton Town

“It’s also a day of action to prevent this happening to others in future.”

Tickets for the event, which runs until 8pm, cost £10 for adults or £5 for children. A family ticket is available for £20.

Monies raised from the event will be awarded to the Nottinghamshire Ending Youth Violence Network and help support organisations that tackle serious and violent crime across the region.

You can get information about tickets by emailing takentoosoonbookings@gmail.com

To get updates about the event visit the Taken Too Soon Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/takentoosoonevents/

These Gedling girls have become Southwell Minster’s youngest ever female choir singers

0

Meet Isabella, Sophia and Katie – Southwell Minster‘s newest choristers and the youngest ever to be accepted into the prestigious girls’ choir.

The three talented singers all hail from Gedling borough and were officially signed up at a service on Sunday.

The three girls – Mapperley sisters Isabella (8) and Sophia (11) as well as their friend Katie (age 11) of Burton Joyce – have spent the last academic year in training to join the renowned Minster Choir and became fully fledged Minster choristers on Sunday, in a wonderful service full of family and friends.

The girls are now the youngest to ever sing in the girls’ choir at the minister – which was built back in the twelfth century.

Isabella has enjoyed the journey to becoming a full-time member of the choir.

She said: “Being a chorister is really good fun and I like practising with my friends. I’ve learned a lot in the last year.”

Each week the boy and girl choristers play a pivotal role in the acts of worship in the cathedral through music-making of the highest standard.  They give many hours of their time and, in return, are developed as the highest quality singers and musicians.  They make frequent broadcasts on national radio, have sung to royalty, make professional recordings and tour other countries. 

Paul Provost, the Rector Chori of Southwell Cathedral said he was immensely proud of the three new recruits.

He said: “These three have worked hard over the last year to develop their skills so we can welcome them into our amazing team. It’s a really exciting time for us here in Southwell.”

If any youngsters are interested in becoming a Southwell Minster chorister, please contact Paul Provost: rectorchori@southwellminster.org.uk.

Children interested in joining can come to Southwell Minster and become a chorister for the day.

This popular free event is open to all children in years 2-4 who wish to sample a day in the life of a Southwell Minster chorister. The event will take place on Saturday, November, 9, 2019

Severn Trent Water’s efforts to protect environment ‘unacceptable’

A water company serving Gedling borough has today been slammed by a government agency who described their efforts to protect the environment as ‘unacceptable’

Severn Trent Water were one of the companies highlighted in an Environment Agency (EA) report published today (July 10) with only one of the major water and sewage companies in England performing at the level expected.

The annual report rates each of water and sewerage companies in England as either green, amber or red on a range of measures including serious pollution, pollution per km of sewer pipes, supply resilience, self-reporting of pollution and complying with permits.

The report said Severn Trent Water had dropped from 4 stars to 3 stars – meaning they must improve their performance to reduce their impact on the environment.

This meant the firm had increased numbers of serious pollution incidents compared with 2017.

Gedling_pipe

Overall water company performance has deteriorated which reverses the trend of gradual improvement in the sector since the rating system began in 2011. Serious pollution incidents increased in 2018 causing damage to the rivers and wildlife. 

Emma Howard Boyd, the EA chair, said the Environment Agency will continue to work with Ofwat to look at financial penalties to drive better environmental performance given fines are currently only a fraction of turnover.

She said “Companies should be reflecting on their environmental performance and long-term resilience, if this is poor they should be asking themselves whether dividends are justifiable.”

Northumbrian Water was the only company achieving the highest 4 star rating, showing that it is possible to bring in good environmental practices and limit the impact of operations on nature.

Executive Director of Operations Dr Toby Willison said: “Water companies need to clean up their act. People expect water companies to improve the environment, not pollute rivers and ensure secure supplies of water.

With only one exception, none of the companies are performing at the level we wish to see, the country expects and the environment needs. We will continue to challenge CEOs to improve company performance and we will take strong and appropriate enforcement action. 

“Companies performing well have a positive ripple effect on the natural environment and communities in their regions. We want all water companies to meet the expectation of their customers, the needs of environment and learn from the best practice that the leading company is demonstrating.”

Severn Trent Water has responded following the report’s findings.

The firm, who still achieved the second highest rating, said “We’re obviously disappointed to be 3* this year but we’re determined to reclaim the top rating next year.

“We’ve been consistently 3* or 4* over the past seven years, with 4*, the top mark possible, in 2013, 2015 and 2017.

“Our figures are largely flat year-on-year but that does mask some real successes that we’ve had. For example, the Severn is now clean enough for a project to reintroduce large numbers of shad, a type of fish sensitive to pollution, into the river to be possible.

“In addition, we’ve set ourselves tougher targets than called for by the EA in certain areas, such as phosphate removal, to further improve the quality of the rivers in our region.”

Distinctive jewellery stolen during burglary in Arnold

Photos of jewellery stolen in a burglary in Arnold have been released by police in a bid to trace the culprits.

The burglary took place between June 8 and in Lilleker Rise.

A house was broken into and a number of items of jewellery were taken (pictured) including an engagement ring, gold locket, charm bracelet, a cameo brooch, a silver pendant and five watches. 

A large quantity of John Player Special cigarettes, power tools and a camera were also stolen.

If you have any information which could help our enquiries please call Nottinghamshire Police on 101, quoting incident number 469 of 9 June 2019.

Bestwood Village playground built in memory of teenager who died in road accident to reopen on Saturday after revamp

A children’s playground in Bestwood Village will be reopened on Saturday after being refurbished.

The official re-opening of Andy’s Adventure Playground at Bestwood Country Park will take place at 1pm on Saturday, July 13.

The play area is dedicated to local lad Andrew Maycock, who died in a hit and run accident back in 2000, aged just 16 years old.

The Bestwood teenager had regularly visited the original playground in Bestwood Country Park when alive, but it was later closed because of fears over safety.

Following his death, Andrew’s family and friends decided that it would be a fitting tribute would be to resurrect the playground in his honour. After months of fundraising, a new park was created with adventure trail, wobbly bridge and swing bars.

But 16 years later, the playground was again facing the threat of closure. Certain aspects of the playground were deemed unsafe, and much of the play equipment needed replacing,

His mother, Sue Maycock, spearheaded the project to re-furbish the park in honour of his memory along with support from Friends of Bestwood Park and Nottinghamshire County Council.

Funding was found from the FCC Communities Foundation to refurbish the park.

One of the people attending the opening is Nottinghamshire County Council chairman Cllr Kevin Rostance

Cllr Rostance said, “I am delighted to attend the reopening and rededication of Andy’s Adventure Playground.

I’d like to express thanks to the hard work and efforts of the local community, in particular Friends of Bestwood Country Park and the Maycock family, in securing funding and donations to help refurbish the park for the local community to enjoy.”

People’s Vote campaigners hit streets of Mapperley calling for final say on Brexit

Campaigners calling for a People’s Vote were out in force on the streets of Mapperley on Saturday calling for a say over Brexit plans.

The group, made up of members from European Movement and People’s Vote braved the rain to talk to shoppers on the high street.

David Childs, who is chairman of the Notts European Movement said the event ‘attracted a lot of interest’.

PICTURED: Campaigners outside the Co-op in Mapperley on Saturday

He said: “We found that many shoppers in Mapperley were prepared to sign a petition asking their MPs to call for a final vote.

“Some found our presence a welcome opportunity to voice their worries about many issues other than Europe such as the failing high street, house prices, climate change, knife crime and, as usual, the NHS.”

“Boris had his supporters, but so did the two Jeremys, Hunt and Corbyn.’

“Comments made by Sir John Sawers, former British spy-chief, M16, about the UK having been plunged into a “political nervous breakdown” were also mentioned. “

Susan Martin, the leading People’s Vote activist, was surprised by the interest the group received.

She said: “The campaigners had received more support than she expected in the area. “

Watch out for these roadworks across Gedling borough over the next week

This list contains only the roadworks considered to be most likely to cause delays on key routes as well as those involving road closures and temporary traffic lights.

The list is not exhaustive and does not feature some minor or emergency repairs that come up after publication.

Other roadworks may finish or start before schedule or be cancelled altogether.

All information from Highways England, local authorities and utility companies.

Carlton

Gedling Road

July 10— 12                       

Delays possible due to some carriageway incursion at the junction with St Austin’s Drive as BT install some cables.                               

Gedling Road,

July 11-15

Delays possible due to some carriageway incursion at the junction with Orlando Drive for cabling works.

Marshall Hill Drive

July 15— 17       

Delays possible due to traffic control (give & take) as Severn Trent repair pipes                   

Roadwork_Gedling

Colwick

A612 Road No 1

July 17 — 23 July                             

Delays likely due to traffic control (two-way signals) being put in place as teams try to locate gas main     

A6211,A612 Colwick Loop Road,

July 16                  

Delays likely due to traffic control (two-way signals) on Colwick Loop Road (near Bridge) . This is to allow for repairs to take place for a cable fault                          

Gedling

A6211 Arnold Lane

July 10-12                           

Delays likely due to traffic control (multi-way signals) as work takes place at the junction with Stanhope Road to facilitate telecoms mast swap

A6211 Arnold Lane,

July 16                  

Delays likely Traffic control (multi-way signals)   

Works location: From outside 119, Arnold Lane to allow BT to clear duct blockages in Carriageway, footway to facilitate spine cabling works.                    

A6211 Main Road, Gedling

July 10

Delays likely Traffic control (multi-way signals) as repairs are made to damaged manhole cover   

Featherstone Close

July 16  

Delays possible Traffic control (multi-way signals) at the junction with Featherstone Close for cabling works

Lambley Lane

July 15 — 19 July                             

Delays possible due to traffic control (two-way signals) as Severn Trent carry out work.

Stanhope Road

July 10 — 12 July                             

Delays possible due to traffic control (multi-way signals) at telecoms work takes place at junction with Arnold Road.                                               

Mapperley

B684 Plains Road,

July 12 — 16 July                             

Delays possible due to some carriageway incursion as new meter is put in place by Severn Trent Water   

B684 Plains Road

July 15 — 19 July                             

Delays likely due to lane closure at the junction of Bailey Drive/B684 Plains Road for electrical work.                        

Bailey Drive

July 15 — 19      Delays likely due to road closure as work take