A hair salon in Arnold has said they are ‘overwhelmed’ by the response to an appeal for donations of clothes to help keep the homeless warm this winter.
The team at KH Hair in Arnold put out a call for donations of items including shoes, warm clothing, food and toiletries, which were delivered to the Salvation Army’s William Booth Memorial Halls on Wednesday, December 11 and distributed to service users visiting the weekly Wednesday Kitchen.
Around 100 guests visit the Wednesday kitchen, provided by the Salvation Army in partnership with S.A.F.E (Supporting Arms Feeding Everyone).
PICTURED: The KH Hair Team donated many items to the Salvation Army
KH Hair salon manager, Helen Stilwell, said: “We can’t believe the fantastic response and would like to say a massive thank you to everyone who donated clothing, sleeping bags, food and other items that will help the homeless through the cold winter months.
“It really was overwhelming to see so many people caring about those less fortunate and it was a privilege to meet some of the people who use the facilities and to hear their stories.”
The Wednesday Kitchen gives visitors an opportunity to enjoy a hot meal and a chance to sit somewhere warm for a while. Salvation Army volunteer, Sharon Page, said: “Donations from the public are really appreciated by our service users. Not only does it mean they can feel warmer, drier and fresher but they know people care about them and that’s just as important.”
One such visitor, known as JB, said: “I love coming here. Everyone is so friendly it makes me feel happy. It’s like a proper community where you feel like people actually care about you.”
S.A.F.E’s Sharron Spowage added: “We have been touched by the generosity of so many people at this special time of the year. Thanks to KH Hair, not only can we help people now, but we have a good stock of things for the coming year and have also been able to add to the small food bank we support here at King Edward Street. Furthermore, we are able to send appropriate donations to a local women’s refuge for mums and children fleeing from domestic violence.
“We are so grateful and happy that we can help so many people.”
The Environment Agency, who issued the alert, said: “River levels have risen at the Lowdham river gauge as a result of heavy rainfall. Consequently, flooding of roads and farmland continues. Areas most at risk are low-lying agricultural land and roads around the tributaries of the River Trent in Nottinghamshire.
They added: “We are closely monitoring the situation. Please avoid using low-lying footpaths near local watercourses and plan driving routes to avoid low-lying roads near rivers, which may be flooded.
Labour has taken control of Nottingham East after Chris Leslie lost the seat this morning,
Nadia Whittome will now be MP for Nottingham East.
The new MP had been in hospital earlier on in the day, and began her acceptance speech apologising for her lost voice.
Nadia told Local Democracy Reporter Kit Sanderman she was ‘deeply saddened’ not able to bring Labour’s transformative manifesto into Government.
PICTURED: New MP Nadia Whittmore
She said: “I applaud Jeremy Corbyn and the radical vision of the Labour Party. Long may that continue. I’m completely inspired by radical voices all over the world, from Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez in the US to our own in the UK, and that is what we must bring forward over the next five years.
Nottingham East
Nadia Whittome, Labour – 25,735 votes – elected
Victoria Stapleton, Conservative – 8,343 votes
Robert Swift, Liberal Democrat – 1,954 votes
Chris Leslie, The Independent Group for Change – 1,447 votes
An apprentice at an Arnold branch of Specsavers has wowed his employers after completing the scheme with a coveted distinction – the top grade for the qualification.
Kalen Burns has been studying an
optical assistant apprenticeship, including coursework and exams alongside
working at Specsavers on Front Street.
PICTURED: Specsavers apprentice Kalen Burns, left, with Arnold retail manager Myles Davies
“We’re very proud of Kalen’s hard work,” said Specsavers Arnold store director Vineet Nehra.
“At Specsavers, we offer a range of apprenticeships and work-based learning, and it’s fantastic to see our team members reach such success.”
Santa and his float will be doing the rounds of Carlton and the surrounding towns and villages in the coming days.
The Rotary Club of Carlton and Gedling and District Round Table has again organised the following routes and you can find out where and when Santa will be appearing using the list below:
Rotary Club of Carlton Santa Tour
Sunday, December 15 – Spring Lane Area. Route starts at 5pm and finishes at 8pm.
Axmouth Drive estate and Hartland Drive estate
Monday, December 16 – Gedling/Carlton area. Route starts at 6pm and finishes at 8.30pm
Orlando Drive, Blackhill Drive, Ranmoor Road, Duncroft Avenue, Tennyson Avenue, Vernon Avenue, Station Road area and Conway Road area.
Tuesday, December17 – Roads off Parkdale Road, Carlton.Route starts at 6pm and finishes at 8.30pm
Wednesday, December 18 – Carlton.Route starts at 6pm and finishes at 8.30pm
First Avenue, Prospect Road, Fisrt Avenue, Second Avanue, Cornhill Road, Mayfield Road, Highfield Drive, Third Avenue, Foxhill Road, Fraser Road, Fraser Square, Hillview Road and Ernest Road.
Sunday, December 22 – Gedling area.Route starts at 5pm and finishes at 8pm
Shearing Hill, Brooklands Drive, Coronation Road, Florence Road, Stoke Lane, Beaumaris Drive estate and Rivendell Estate.
Monday, December 23 – Gedling.Route starts at 6pm and finishes at 8.30pm
Avon Road, Lorimer Drive, Jessops Lane, George View Road, Oaktree Drive, Willow Road, Yew Tree Lane, Green Farm Lane, Almond Walk, Jayne Close and Field Close
The float has already visited parts of Mapperley, Colwick and Chase Farm.
He’ll be touring Netherfield on Monday, December 16, Cavendish and Coningsworth Road are area on Tuesday, December 17, Porchester Gardens on Wednesday, December 18 and Shelford Road and surrounding areas on Thursday, December 19.
A spokesman for the rotary club said: “We’ll do our best to complete the routes but it will be dependent on the weather – and Santa’s helpers.”
Colwick-based packaging manufacturer The Wilkins Group is preparing to ‘spruce up Christmas’ by sending over 500 Christmas tree shrubs to their clients, as part of a Christmas tree growing competition.
In a continued bid to become more sustainable, the packaging company is treating its customers to grow-your-own Christmas trees. The senior management team will measure the trees in November 2020 and the largest grower will be rewarded with vouchers worth £100.
Sales and Marketing director, Justin Wilkins said “We are committed to reducing the use of single-use plastic and we want our customers to share this passion too.
The grow-your-own Christmas tree is being handed to clients
The Christmas tree growing competition is a fun and engaging way to treat our clients at Christmas time and encourage them to be part of our sustainable journey”.
This is the latest environmentally-friendly initiative from the company to raise awareness of plastic packaging waste. Earlier this year, staff volunteered to pick litter at Gibraltar Point and gathered items such as microwaveable trays and a builder’s sack full of items. The items were then displayed at Packaging Innovations Show.
The company also organised a visit to the Colwick Recycling Centre to further educate their team on what items can be recycled.
A new video released today uses state-of-the-art technology to bring the new Gedling Access Road to life.
The Gedling Access Road visualisation film has been shared on YouTube by Nottinghamshire County Council and Via East Midlands and shows how the new road will look upon completion with the aid of computerised visuals.
Main construction work on the Gedling Access Road is scheduled to begin on January 6, 2020 for 18 months and Nottinghamshire County Council say the it will ‘mark the beginning of sustainable redevelopment in the area for future generations’.
The link from the B684 Mapperley Plains to the A612 Trent Valley Road is expected to open to traffic in Summer 2021 now that a construction timetable has been approved by Nottinghamshire County Council’s Communities and Place Committee.
Tim Grice scored a hat-trick as Leek Town secured an emphatic 4-0 win against Carlton Town at Stoke Lane.
The Blues inflicted only a second league defeat of the
season upon the Millers, and it was the first time Carlton had failed to
score. The visitors’ impressive display
merited the margin of victory and, but for some fine saves from home goalkeeper
Jack Steggles, it could have been an even greater scoreline.
Tommy Brookbanks and Mark Harvey made four changes from the
side which drew with Cleethorpes in Carlton’s last game, three weeks ago. Out went Daniel Fletcher (ill), Aaron Opoku
(away) Oliver Robinson and Luke Smithson.
In came Tyler Johal, Toby Moore, Tyler Blake and for his full debut over
a decade after his last full debut for Carlton, Daryl Thomas.
Leek came into the game second in the table, with Carlton
one place behind, but the Blues had played on each of the previous two
Saturdays when Carlton’s games had been postponed.
That initial rustiness showed as Carlton struggled to string
passes together and keep the ball while Leek started much the better.
Niall Davie had to be alert to make a superb goal line
clearance after a cross from the left was met by William Reeves, before
Steggles made the first of his saves, tipping a goalbound free kick from Oliver
Harrison wide of the post.
Matthew Bell was next to try his luck at the Carlton goal,
only to be thwarted by Steggles as Leek coped much better with the heavy
surface.
Bell should have scored on 22 minutes when he had a free
header from six yards after a run and cross by Robert Stevenson but Steggles
was once again equal to the effort.
Carlton’s first opportunity came shortly afterwards as
Davie’s free kick to the near post was heading into the net until Daniel
Roberts got across to save.
PICTURED: Tim Grice
The Millers were awarded a corner but Leek broke quickly
following the flag kick and Grice opened the scoring on 25 minutes, running
onto a clever pass and firing low past Steggles from the left corner of the
area. There were some claims for offside
by the Millers but the goal had clearly been coming.
Leek had control of the midfield, with Stevenson and Marc
Grocott influential, and Carlton were struggling to keep the visitors at bay.
Grice headed against the top of the crossbar from a corner
before Oliver Clark was booked for a poor challenge on Darren Chadwick.
Grice doubled his side’s lead on 38 minutes, cutting in from
the right, holding off some weak challenges and rifling home across Steggles.
He should have had his treble three minutes later when Bell
sent him clean through on goal, but Steggles dived at his feet as he tried to
go around him and saved the day.
Steggles then pushed a shot from Louis Short onto the post
as Carlton were relieved to get to the break just two goals behind.
Eli Baku was brought on for the second half and he impressed
as Carlton looked much improved. Davie
had a run and shot just wide of the post before another Davie run led to Baku
hitting a curling effort from the left edge of the penalty area that flew
inches wide of Roberts’s post with the keeper stranded.
Carlton still missed Opoku’s ability to hold onto the ball
and Steggles was back in action making another fine save from Grice as Leek
weathered the storm and came back at Carlton.
Stevenson made it 3-0 on 80 minutes, running at the Carlton
defence and firing home from inside the area.
The visitors completed the scoring in added time when Grice
took advantage of a slip in the area to round Steggles and tap home to secure
the match ball.
The margin of defeat against a side who are genuine title
contenders will lead to some questions about Carlton’s ability to sustain their
impressive start to the campaign.
Perhaps today was simply a blip against a very good team who looked a
cut above anything Carlton have played so far this season. Alternatively, it may provide a more
realistic assessment of where Carlton stand in this division.
Answers may be provided in the next couple of weeks when the
Millers’ schedule includes difficult trips to promotion contenders Belper and
Ilkeston. In the meantime, the team needs to lick their wounds and get back at
it.
Train enthusiast and local station adopter Tony Cave is urging passengers in the borough to call for more trains to serve Netherfield and Carlton stations during a consultation being run by East Midlands Railway.
The train firm is inviting passengers in Gedling borough to have a say on improvement plans for the network, which are due to be delivered in December 2020.
The consultation was launched after East Midlands Railway announced major plans for new timetables and improved trains on the network.
Passengers want more trains to call at Carlton Station
Most of the improvements planned for routes serving stations in Gedling borough won’t take place until December 2021, but the rail firm said some improvements would land next year.
East Midlands Railway said passengers would see the following improvements in 2020…
Several two-car trains being extended to three.
Many trains will run with additional carriages.
Services will no longer be planned to run as one-car trains.
Refurbished trains with air conditioning and up-to-the-minute passenger information will be introduced in 2020, ahead of a full refurbishment, including WiFi and plug sockets, that is planned for 2021.
But so far, no mention has been made of additional trains stopping at Carlton and Netherfield stations, something passengers had previously called for.
Carlton and Netherfield station adopter and Gedling Eye columnist Tony Cave urged passengers to use the consultation to call for additional services.
He said: “The more people we get to reply regarding trains from Carlton and Netherfield give us more chance of some improvements, which we might not get if no-one responds.”