Home Blog Page 700

Woman sustains head injury as man is arrested for on suspicion of robbery and false imprisonment

A 23-year-old has been arrested on suspicion of robbery, false imprisonment  and cannabis cultivation following an incident in Gedling last night (January 27).

Officers attended Phoenix Avenue at around 10.30pm following reports of a car attempting to be stolen and a woman being held against her will at an address.

Police car siren
Police made an arrest last night

A woman suffered a head injury and was taken to hospital for treatment.

Officers continued to search the property this morning (28 January 2020).

We are appealing for anyone who witnessed the incident or has any information to ring 101, quoting incident 935 of 27 January 2020.

Gedling borough to receive funding boost to tackle rough sleeping problem

Gedling borough will receive a slice of a new fund to help tackle rough sleeping and help the most vulnerable people in our community.

Gedling will receive a share of an additional £836,961.60 in government cash to help tackle the problem.

The cash is part of an additional £112 million through the Rough Sleeping Initiative to help get people off the streets and in to safe and secure accommodation.

The Rough Sleeping Initiative has reduced the number of vulnerable people sleeping rough in the areas it has been operating by 32 per cent since its introduction in 2018, and is a central pillar of the government’s strategy to end rough sleeping completely by 2024.

Gedling MP Tom Randall today welcomed the news.

PICTURED: A homeless man on the streets (PICTURE: Deposit)

He said: “I am delighted that funding to tackle rough sleeping in will increase to £836,961.60 this year.

“This government has shown it is absolutely determined to end rough sleeping, and I was especially pleased to see the government bring forward its target of achieving this from 2027 to 2024 at the last election.

“There is still a lot more we can do, and I’ll be working with the council and local organisations to ensure the additional funds are spent locally in the most effective way, so that no one in Gedling has to sleep out in the cold this winter.”

Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick said: “No-one should have to face a night on the street and we have a moral duty to support those who need help the most. It is encouraging to see more people getting the support they need, but there is always more to do.

“We are focusing relentlessly on this issue and our efforts have already led to the first nationwide fall in rough sleeping in a decade – and the areas funded by our Rough Sleeping Initiative have seen rough sleeping numbers fall around a third more than they would be without this vital programme. 

“But we need to go further. That is why we are providing this funding so vital work can continue as we set out to end rough sleeping once and for all.”

Community takes control of Haywood Road Community Centre in Mapperley

Residents in Mapperley are celebrating after the council handed them the keys to Haywood Road Community Centre after they successfully fought to save it from closure.

Local residents will now take over responsibility for managing the centre from Gedling Borough Council after councillors approved the plans.

Cabinet members agreed to transfer the lease of the centre to the Haywood Road Community Association (HRCA) subject to legal approval.

Residents lobbied the council to save the centre from closure back in January 2017. Residents voiced concerns about a lack of alternative community centres and the desire to retain the neighbouring green space.

Since then, the council has invested £20,000 into improving the centre and, most recently, made a successful joint funding bid with the HRCA from FCC Communities Foundation for a new £140,000 play area that opened in September.

Residents campaigned to save the centre, which was earmarked for closure

The centre has been transferred under the council’s ‘Community Asset Transfer Policy’, which gives organisations wishing to take on responsibility of their local community centres, opportunity to do so. They have to fulfil a number of stringent criteria before it can happen, which includes consultation with stakeholders, getting public liability insurances and providing the council with a robust business and financial plan to ensure they have the capacity to run the centre both physically and financially.

The HRCA is now a registered charity which means it can access certain funding unavailable to local authorities that could be used to improve the centre.

This is the second centre that has been transferred over to a local community organisation under the council’s Community Asset Transfer Policy. Arnold Hill Community Centre was transferred in 2017 and has become a success under the new name, Eagle’s Nest Community Centre.

A spokesman for HRCA said: “As Government funding is reduced more and more, Gedling Borough Council has had to look at ways to reduce spending on non-statutory services, which includes community centre. The asset transfer scheme allows proactive communities to take over and develop centres and it offers financial saving for the council on the upkeep of the centre.”

Council plans to honour former Gedling MP Vernon Coaker for 22 years of service to the borough

Former Gedling MP Vernon Coaker is to receive the highest honour the borough can bestow in recognition of his years of dedicated service to the area.

Councillors will be asked to confirm the appointment of the new honorary freeman of the borough at Wednesday (January 29) night’s full council meeting in Arnold.

Vernon Coaker
PICTURED: Vernon Coaker MP outside Walton Court in Carlton

The Local Government Act of 1972 grants the council powers to award the accolade to someone who ‘has rendered eminent services to the borough’.

If agreed, a civic ceremony will then be held to hand the prestigious title to the former MP.

Mr Coaker became the first Labour MP to win the Gedling seat when he defeated Andrew Mitchell in the 1997 election.

He served the borough for 22 years.

Mr Coaker lost his seat back in December to Conservative candidate Tom Randall in December after a general election was called to help solve the Brexit crisis.

Two vehicles seized as during police operation in Gedling borough targeting uninsured drivers

Police seized two vehicles as they launched a special operation across Gedling borough to catch uninsured drivers.

The illegal vehicles were removed from the borough’s roads overnight following continued pro-active patrols across the area by members of the Special Constabulary.

Both vehicles were stopped by officers and following checks on the Police National Computer, seized for not having the appropriate level of insurance for their journeys.

Police seized two vehicles

A spokesman for Nottinghamshire Police said: “It’s an offence to drive a motor vehicle on a public road without adequate cover.

“It’s important to remember that there are different categories of insurances, permitting different level of usage, and as the driver of the vehicle, it is your responsibility to check that your sufficiently insured prior to making any journey.

“Failure to ensure that you are adequately insured, could render you liable to prosecution. Your vehicle can also be seized at the roadside if officers reasonably suspect your vehicle to be uninsured.

“Those found to not have insurance at the point of being stopped by the police face six penalty points and a fine of up to £5,000.

They added: “If you find yourself conducting business trips for whatever reason, we would always advise you to check with your insurance company prior to commencing the journey.”

Gedling Borough Council responds after claims it handed back £29k of business rates relief fund back to government

Gedling Borough Council has responded to claims made yesterday that it handed back £29k set aside for a business rates relief fund back to the government.

The authority were, unfairly, not given the opportunity to respond after the figures were shared by chartered surveyors Bankier Sloan, which were published in Gedling Eye yesterday.

The firm’s figures showed Gedling Borough Council received £316,543 from the government and returned £29,471, which is 9.31 percent

The fund was created when the Government changed the way business rates are calculated, it set aside a pot of money to help firms whose rates had been severely adversely affected.

Leader of Gedling Borough Council, Councillor John Clarke said: “In 2017, central government granted the council money to help businesses affected by large increases in their rates bills as a result of a revaluation. We used the money to award discretionary relief to every single business in the borough who met the scheme’s criteria.

Civic Centre in Arnold
PICTURED: Civic Centre at Arnot Hill Park

“We took great care to make sure that businesses received the maximum relief to which they were entitled.  

“The nature of the relief meant that if any business moved out after April 2017, they would no longer be entitled to relief so we had to return any underpayments to central government, the council was not allowed to keep it.

“Gedling Borough Council supports local businesses. We provide free parking in our town centres, have invested in our high streets and we offer advice to small and medium businesses to drive growth in the borough. “

He added: “What is really needed is for the Government to get on with the long-overdue overhaul of the business rates system they’ve been promising, this would allow councils to retain more of the business rates they work so hard to collect so they can provide more support to those local businesses that need it.”

Gedling MP Tom Randall praises police funding boost in Nottinghamshire

Gedling MP Tom Randall has hailed the announcement of a £16.1 million increase in funding for Nottinghamshire Police.

The Home Office have announced an increase of up to £1.1 billion for police forces throughout England and Wales, to ensure our police can focus on keeping communities safe. 

It comes on top of the government plan to recruit an extra 20,000 police officers, along with ensuring they have more powers and better kit.

Nottinghamshire Police is already set to receive an additional 107 officers this year, with more to come in the future.

As a result, overall police funding is set to increase by the biggest amount in a decade. This will see more money available to recruit, train and equip police officers, as well as investment in national priorities like tackling serious and organised crime, and our counter-terrorism capabilities.

Tom Randall Brexit
PICTURED: Tom Randall is the new MP for Gedling

Tom Randall has urged Labour MPs to vote in favour of this much-needed funding settlement when it comes before Parliament. He said the Labour Party voted against a similar settlement for the police last year, which would have denied forces an additional £970 million.

Gedling MP Tom Randall said: “I am delighted that police funding in Nottinghamshire could increase by up to £16.1 million next year. 

“We made a commitment to people at the election that we would crack down on crime and back our brave police to get on with the job, and we are wasting no time in delivering on that promise now.

“The Conservative Party will always ensure that the police have the powers and resources needed to keep our citizens and communities safe.”

Home Secretary Priti Patel said: “This Government is delivering on the people’s priorities by giving policing the biggest funding increase in a decade.  

“It will mean more officers tackling the crime blighting our streets, so people can feel safe in their communities.

“The police must now make full use of this significant investment to deliver for the public.”

Gedling Borough Council fails to hand out thousands in rates relief to businesses

Thousands of pounds have been sent back to Whitehall by Gedling Borough Council when the cash should have been used to support businesses in the town.

That’s the claim from chartered surveyors Bankier Sloan, which has written about the scheme.

Their figures reveal Gedling Borough Council received £316,543 from the government and returned £29,471, which is 9.31 percent

When the Government changed the way business rates are calculated, it set aside a pot of money to help firms whose rates had been severely adversely affected.

Councils were given the money, and told to distribute it to business.

Greenwoods in Arnold
PICTURED: Greenwoods in Arnold (IMAGE: Gedling Eye)

Any money not given out would have to be returned.

No council distributed all the money in Notts. Newark and Sherwood were the worst offenders and Mansfield the second-worst.

Speaking about those councils which have performed worst, a spokesman for the firm said: “We have despaired at moments over the last two years as councils across England have, in many cases, failed to alter their schemes in order to insure they spent the free funding provided by central Government intended to help local businesses. 

“The funding was ring-fenced and has now been returned to the government.”

How did Notts councils perform?

Ashfield – Received from Government – £286,806 Returned – £18,158 6.33 percent

Gedling Borough Council received £316,543 and returned £29,471, which is 9.31 percent

Bassetlaw – Received from Government – £417,918 Returned – £80,930 19.36 percent

Broxtowe – Received from Government –  £243,964 Returned – £83,386 34.18 percent

Newark & Sherwood – Received from Government – £518,964 Returned – £394,192 75.96 percent

Mansfield – Received from Government – £311,536 Returned – £129,982 41.72 percent

Nottingham – Received from Government – £1,630,261 Returned – £130,527 8.01 percent

Rushcliffe – Received from Government – £396,081 Returned – £27,293 6.89 percent

MP joins campaign to get Calverton road resurfaced

An MP for Calverton has thrown his weight behind a petition calling for a busy road in the village to be resurfaced.

Sherwood MP Mark Spencer has joined forces with village community activist Jane Walker to campaign to get Nottinghamshire County Council to resurface Park Road East.

They have created a petition for local residents to sign and voice their support.

The petition has already received considerable support from the village after Jane Walker spent a day campaigning around Park Road East.

Discussing his campaign, Mark said: “Park Road East is one of the busiest through-roads in the village, it’s also a bus route, so the road needs to be fit for purpose.

mark spencer
PICTURED: (left to right)
Parish councillor, Marie Knowles; Calverton community activist, Jane Walker and Mark Spencer MP, Member of Parliament for Sherwood)

“When Jane proposed doing a petition to get the County Council to consider re-surfacing it, I thought it was a great way to show how strong the need for it is in the village.”

Calverton resident Jane Walker said: “As a resident of Park Road East myself, I know too well how bad the road is. I’m really grateful to our MP for his support with this campaign.

“The more support we get from people in the village, the louder our voice is and the harder we are to ignore! There has been a huge amount of support for this in the village, and everyone I’ve spoken to so far has been eager to sign our petition!”

You can find a copy of the petition at the Gleaners Pub at the bottom of Park Road East that residents can sign.

If you want to find out more, then get in touch with Jane Walker directly at jane.walker118@gmail.com, or contact Mark at Mark.Spencer.Mp@Parliament.uk.

No plans to give public access to bridge at Colwick sluice gates despite calls from residents

The Environment Agency has said it has no plans to give the public access to a bridge across the River Trent at Colwick sluice flood gates as it would pose a ‘significant health and safety risk’.

The Agency was responding to recent calls from the public to open the bridge, currently used by EA teams, to all so it could be used by people to cross the River Trent and enjoy the facilities at Holme Pierrepont Water Sports Centre.

The bridge idea, which has been gaining momentum on social media, was welcomed by residents in Colwick.

Sarah Deakin said: “A footbridge across the River Trent is a fabulous idea and we would definitely make use of it and explore the other side of the river.”

Jenny Hilton told Gedling Eye: “I would love a footbridge from Colwick to Holme Pierrepont as it means I could pop over and watch the kayakers, which I always find fun. It would also mean I don’t have to drive all the way round to West Bridgford way to get to the centre.”

Karina Batchelor said the bridge would help get people out of their cars.

PICTURED: The Environment Agency site in Colwick (PICTURE: Gedling Eye)

She said: “It’s a brilliant idea. I’ve lived in Colwick all my life and would love to walk with dog and children over the sluice. It would mean so many more cars would be off the road and it would encourage people to get out and walk more – so will have an environmental impact too.”

Colwick resident Dawn Hilton, said: “It’s something we have wanted for many years. It would be fabulous to be able to cycle across and would be extremely convenient for us to visit family who live that way. We could leave the car at home.”

Cathryn Jani said a bridge would provide a boost to the local economy.

She said: “This would be fantastic for walking, running and cycling. It would hopefully encourage more businesses to consider Colwick as a base for cafes, restaurants & shops.”

Gedling Eye contacted the Environment Agency, who run the site, about the mounting calls from residents who want the bridge opened.

An Environment Agency Spokesperson said: “Colwick Sluice is a fully operational automated site that poses several significant health and safety risk due to the complex nature of operations there.

“The site and the sluices in particular therefore have tightly controlled access to protect both Environment Agency staff and the general public from any potential harm.”

This isn’t the first time calls have been made to open up the bridge.

A feasibility study looking at public access was carried out in 2014 but plans for the bridge were abandoned after the Environment Agency highlighted a number of safety risks if the public gained access to the site.

  • What do you think? Let is know in the comment section below