Home Blog Page 690

Mesmerising video shows murmuration of starlings swooping and twisting over nature reserve in Netherfield

This is the incredible moment thousands of starlings swoop across the sky above a nature reserve in Netherfield.

The footage, captured by Mark Glover, who helps run Netherfield Lagoons, shows the birds form shapes above one of the lagoons during their murmuration in the sky. 

A murmuration is a phenomenon that sees hundreds or thousands of starlings fly together in the sky to form co-ordinated patterns.

https://youtu.be/yAz34RX0mSI
PICTURED: Starling

Mr Glover, who is also chair of the Gedling Conservation Trust, told Gedling Eye: “Thousands of starlings have been taking part in a mass murmuration each evening for the last few weeks before landing to roost in the reedbeds of the Netherfield Lagoons.

“Starling murmurations like this provide one of the greatest wildlife spectacles to be seen in this country and it can be seen most evenings right here in Netherfield.

“Up to 10,000 birds have been seen is balletic displays that take the breath away. The large numbers of starlings using reedbeds underlines the importance of the site.

The starling is a red listed species in the UK and the Netherfield Lagoons provide a vital winter refuge for them’. “

Emergency services close road in Gedling village after reports of man falling from height

Emergency services closed a road in Gedling village earlier today to carry out ‘a rescue from height’.

Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service said the road had been closed earlier today to carry out the operation.

IMAGE: Francis Rodrigues

Appliances from London Road and Highfields and their specialist rescue team and aerial ladder platform were called to the scene.

A spokesman from East Midlands Ambulance spokesman said: “One patient was taken to Queen’s Medical Centre.”

One reader who didn’t wish to be named told Gedling Eye: “I was told that a man had fallen from scaffolding.”

The road was opened again just after 2pm.

Man charged following knife-point robbery at a house in Arnold – officers hunt for two other men

Police have charged a 31-year-old man in connection with a knife-point robbery at a house in Arnold.

Three men were reported to have broken into a house in Rolleston Drive, one of them brandishing a knife.

A police spokesman said: “They threatened the occupants and got away with cash and an iPhone.

Rolleston Drive
PICTURED: Rolleston Drive in Arnold (IMAGE: Google)

“A man was left with head and facial injuries having challenged the offenders. It happened at around 1am on February 23.”

Leo Commons, of Collyer Road in Calverton, was arrested yesterday (Tuesday 10 March 2020) and subsequently charged with robbery.

He appeared at Nottingham Magistrates’ Court earlier today and is next to appear at Nottingham Crown Court on April 8.

Enquiries continue and officers are appealing to anyone with any information that could help to contact us on 101 quoting incident 77 of 23 February.

You can also contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Tram extension plan released with route to Nottingham Racecourse included in proposals

Details of how Nottingham’s tram network could be expanded significantly have been released.

Three separate extensions are proposed. The first would see the line at Clifton South Park and Ride extended into the yet-to-be-built Clifton Pastures estate, expected to be one of the largest housing and business space developments in the East Midlands.

The second would extend from the Toton Lane Park and Ride to near where the new HS2 station is expected, then on into Long Eaton.

The third, and the longest, would see a whole new branch for the network. 

The line would split in the Meadows near Nottingham Railway Station before heading East, past Meadow Lane then through the Cattle Market and yet-to-be-built Waterside development.

It would then continue along Daleside Road, ending at the Nottingham Racecourse park and ride.

It is hoped this branch could eventually extend up to a new park and ride near Gedling County Park, however this is not included in the council’s current plan. 

Labour-controlled Nottingham City Council is expected next week to approve plans to put together a detailed business case for the three extensions. 

It also says it will officially support Broxtowe Borough Council’s investigations into extending the tram into Kimberley and Langley Mill.

The council says that using the Department for Transport’s own methodology, all three extensions represent ‘high value for money’.

Estimated costs show the Toton extension would cost £106 million, and bring £379 million in economic benefits.

The Clifton Pastures development would cost £49 million with £78 million worth of economic benefits, and the Racecourse Park and Ride would cost between £96 and £116 million for benefits of between £160 million and £262 million.

Initial estimates suggest the three extensions could see an additional 11.1 million more passengers per year, compared to the current usage levels of just under 19 million.

Now, the council is expected to put together a full business case, which would then be submitted to the Government next Summer.

Should the Government approve the scheme, construction is expected to start in Winter 2025, before completion in 2028 or 2029.

A council report on the issue says: “As already experienced through the current tram network, the successful delivery of future tram extensions will bring very significant investment into Greater Nottingham. 

“As well as bringing in significant external funding to build the new lines, the construction phase will provide opportunities for jobs and training to local people, and supplier contracts to local businesses. 

“Following opening, the improved transport network and accessibility will also provide a catalyst for inward investment, further economic growth and cleaner air for citizens.”

Councillor Adele Williams is the portfolio holder for local transport at the city council, and represents the Sherwood ward for Labour.

She said: “Our established tram network is something that the city can be very proud of and it’s no surprise that other neighbouring areas are keen to see it extended, so more people can see the benefit and increase their transport options.

“Currently, close to 19 million journeys are taken each year and this figure continues to grow, with 30 percent of tram trips formerly taken by car or park-and-ride. 

“The tram benefits those with mobility problems and significantly contributes to economic growth in Nottingham.

“There’s no doubt that expanding our already well-connected network would help to further reduce congestion around the city, and we are now in a position to take a close look at three or four options that have satisfied initial feasibility studies.

“Any extensions would, of course, need considerable support and financial input from the Government to make them happen, and we plan to take a robust business case to ministers later next year.”

MATCH REPORT: Heanor Town 5 – 0 Gedling Miners Welfare


Jamie Sleigh scored twice as Heanor Town eased to a 5-0 victory over Gedling Miners Welfare at the Town Ground on Tuesday night.

Following four successive defeats in all competitions, the visitors began well and Felix Hogg’s effort from range with only nine minutes played was a sign of early Welfare confidence as they looked for a much-needed return to winning ways.

The first quarter yielded very little in front of goal but Gedling were more than comfortable in possession against a Town side who came into this one having lost only twice in the league all season.

Jimmy Spiers had the first half-chance on goal with 20 minutes gone, though his shot after some typically strong hold-up play was straight at Jordan Pierrepoint who could boast three successive clean sheets before play.

Very little threatened away ‘keeper Keaton Sharpe in the early exchanges as Heanor struggled to their get their very dangerous front two of Kieran Debrower and Jamie Sleigh, with 37 goals between them this season, in the game.

However against the run of play they managed to take the lead on the half hour through an unlikely source. Tristan Matthews’ outswinging corner found unmarked defender Max Thornberry who stooped to powerfully head home past Sharpe to settle any home tension.

Now in the ascendancy, Town looked comfortable and Gedling, who were encouraging in the early stages, could only further trouble Pierrepoint with a Kieran Harrison free-kick five minutes before the break which was more than comfortable for the ‘keeper who palmed to safety.

Buoyed by Thornberry’s goal to ensure a half-time lead, things got even better for the Lions only five minutes into the second period when they found themselves scoring twice in quick succession.

Firstly, a loose pass in the middle of the park was pounced on by Sleigh and despite being dispossessed by a robust Joe Meakin tackle, the ball fell kindly for Debrower who curled past Sharpe

Shortly after, Matthews’ dangerous free-kick from the left wasn’t dealt with and ball kindly dropped to Sleigh who had the simple task of sweeping home his sides third put Heanor well on the way to securing the three points following a surprise goalless draw against Borrowash Victoria in their last outing.

Harrison’s low strike with 65 minutes played did little to worry Pierrepoint who saved well down to his right as any Gedling advance forward was excellently nullified by the impressive Thornberry and Shaun Roulston who saw a fantastically taken fourth at the other end after 66 minutes.

Showing a turn of pace, Sleigh latched onto Jordan Ball’s through ball and after rounding an advancing Sharpe, the striker fired home from the most acute angle into the far corner for his second of the night as he deservedly took the plaudits from all in attendance.

The latter period proved fruitless for Welfare who huffed and puffed but were outclassed by a professional Heanor outfit with managers Andy Clerke and Chris Marks expressing great disappointment at the manner in which their side conceded.

Lively substitute Fortunate Sithole nearly added to Welfare woes ten minutes before time when he weaved his way through a series of challenges but his rasping effort only found Sharpe’s side netting and the ‘keeper then did superbly to deny Sleigh his hat-trick when his strong one-handed save thwarted the talisman from close range.

But from the resultant corner, Heanor compounded Gedling’s misery by scoring a fifth. Matthews’ corner caused some panic in the away box and the loose ball was slammed into the top corner on the half-volley by Roulston.

Good in areas, Welfare will have learnt a lot from this showing and makes Saturday’s trip to Graham Street Prims all the more important as they cling on to a top six position, kick off 15:00.

Gedling Miners Welfare Man of the Match – Jimmy Spiers

Heanor Town – Jordan Pierrepoint, Reece Horne, Joe Nice, Max Thornberry, Shaun Roulston (c), Nicholas Hall, Kyle Hazeldine, Jordan Ball (Jesse Vowles 68’). Jamie Sleigh, Kieran Debrower (Devante Reittie 61’), Tristan Matthews (Fortunate Sithole 75’)
Unused Substitutes – Samuel Birks, Aaron Coyle

Gedling Miners Welfare – Keaton Sharpe, Charlie Roberts (Matt Fowler 70), Luke Smith, Felix Hogg, Kieran Harrison, Dean Gent (Sol Miller 55’), Ross McCaughey (c), Josh Thornton, Jimmy Spiers, Joe Meakin, Curtis Millward (Jack Jepson 55’)
Unused Substitutes – Courtney Hastings, Paolo Piliero
Cautions – Jepson (foul 85’)

Match report compiled and written by Marc Williams
Email: marcusa.williams5@hotmail.co.uk; Twitter: ichbinmarc_

New homes could be built on land around former farm house in Stoke Bardolph

A developer has announced plans to build new properties on land around a former farm house, in Stoke Bardolph.

The new builds would be constructed on land around Stoke House on St Luke’s Way in the village. The former farm house would remain and be restored.

17 new buildings are planned for the land once former agricultural buildings are demolished.

Plans for the site (IMAGE: Northern Trust)

The plans have been revealed by Northern Trust – a property redevelopment company.

A spokesman said: “Proposal for re-development of footprint of agricultural buildings and extensive hard standing for 17 new build dwellings has been through public consultation and well received.

“We are currently in pre-application negotiations with the Local Planning Authority.”

Watch out for these roadworks across Gedling borough over the next few weeks

Drivers are being warned to expect traffic and travel delays due to roadworks across Gedling Borough during the week.

This list contains only the roadworks considered to be most likely to cause delays on key routes as well as those involving road closures and temporary traffic lights. It is not exhaustive and does not feature some minor or emergency repairs that come up after publication.

Other roadworks may finish or start before schedule or be cancelled altogether.

All information from Highways England, local authorities and utility companies.

BURTON JOYCE

A612 Church Road

March 11 — 18

Delays possible due to some carriageway incursion

CARLTON

Cavendish Road

March 11 — 14 March

Delays likely due to traffic control (two-way signals)

First Avenue

March 16 — 20

Delays likely due to road closure

Standhill Road

March 10 — 12

Delays possible due to traffic control (give & take)

Roadworks
Roadworks will slow down traffic on a number of routes around Gedling borough this week

GEDLING

Westdale Lane West

March 10 — 12

Delays possible due to traffic control (give & take)

MAPPERLEY

B684 Mapperley Plains

March 16 — June 28

Delays likely due to traffic control (two-way signals) on Mapperley Plains from Chartwell Grove to Arnold Lane to facilitate construction of junction with Gedling Access Road

Westdale Lane West

March 11 — 13

Delays possible due to some carriageway incursion

Porchester Road

March 10 — 12

Delays possible due to traffic control (two-way signals)

NETHERFIELD

A612 Victoria Road

March 11 — 13

Delays likely due to traffic control (two-way signals)

WOODTHORPE

Breck Hill Road

March 16 — 17 March

Delays likely due to traffic control (two-way signals) near junction with Raibank Gardens

Breck Hill Road

March 16 — 22

Delays possible due to traffic control (give & take)

Partners of patients at hospice in Mapperley learn how to give their loved ones a makeover

Partners of patients at Nottinghamshire Hospice were taught how to give their loved ones a makeover thanks to a new scheme trialled last week.

Makeup artist Adele Coxon ran taster sessions to teach partners how to apply makeup after hospice patient Beverley Fairbanks identified a need.

Beverley, who has motor neurone disease, has lost use of her arm and now struggles to put on her own make-up.

She said: “I like to be able to have a small amount of make-up on when I leave the house, but it’s becoming more difficult with my condition.

“For some women, wearing make-up is an important part of their life, and some would never be seen out without make-up.  But with a condition like mine you need help to put it on.”

Beverley persuaded husband Dave to come in to Nottinghamshire Hospice for one of the sessions. He mastered basic eye shadow techniques, concealer, powder & blush application as well as eyeliner in the 30-minute tutorial.

Dave said: “I have never had to do anything like this before, but I could see how important it was to Beverley to be able to have at least some basic make up on when she goes out.

PICTURED: Beverley after her makeover

“I have never been any good at painting, so I was a bit worried that she would end up looking like Coco the Clown after three rounds with Mike Tyson, but with a bit of patience I think I did a half decent job – I won’t say which half!”

Makeup artist Adele said she’d never taught partners before, but Dave was a natural.

She said: “It was a great experience to be able to teach Dave how to apply his wife’s makeup. At first he was a little nervous but with guidance he picked it up wonderfully. A little more practice and I think Dave will perfect Beverley’s makeup.

“I think until you can no longer apply your own makeup you don’t realise how big a part of you it has become, so having someone there who can make you feel like yourself again is wonderful. Makeup isn’t just a pretty face. It’s a great mood enhancer and gives a confidence boost too.

“I thoroughly enjoyed the experience too and would love to be able to offer this more frequently at the hospice.”

Young Adults Key Worker Clair Marshall, who arranged the sessions, said: “This seemed like such a good idea and something that was easily achievable.

“Thanks to Beverley for suggesting it and to Adele for giving her time free of charge. This is definitely something we are keen to develop.”

“There is no shortage and we have a clear plan in place for the future”: Councillor says claims that Gedling borough faces shortage of secondary school places are ‘complete nonsense’

A Nottinghamshire County Councillor has today said that speculation over Gedling borough facing a shortage of secondary school places in the future is ‘complete nonsense’.

Councillor Philip Owen today said he was delighted that each pupil who had applied for a secondary school place on time would have a place at a local school this September.

Cllr Owen said: “I am delighted that every parent who applied on time for a school place in the Carlton Academy and Carlton Le Willows catchment areas will have a school place for their child this September.

“The county council is responsible for ensuring a sufficiency of school places across the county. We identified a need for additional school places and acted quickly in this area with £2.6m basic need funding being allocated to increase the number of school places at the two schools.

PICTURED: Carlton Academy

“We’re currently working with the Redhill Trust to provide 300 additional secondary school places at Carlton Academy which will be available for September 2020. We’re also working closely with the Carlton Le Willows Trust and are currently at feasibility stage with a plan to increase the school capacity by an additional 450 places.”

Cllr Owen dismissed claims from people in the local community that the borough will have a shortfall in secondary school places.

He said: “I must stress once again that comments that there is a shortage of places is complete nonsense.

“There is no shortage and we have a clear plan in place for the future.”

A public meeting was held back in the summer of 2019, with parents voicing concerns that around 700 pupils could be without a place at a local secondary school by 2027

Nottinghamshire County Council reported that this year almost 91% of Nottinghamshire children secured their first preference with nearly 97% securing one of their four preferred secondary schools.

Police are trying to recover this stolen van that looks like a garden shed and was taken from Porchester

Police have launched an appeal for information after a distinctive van ‘that looks like a garden shed’ was stolen from Porchester.

Officers said that the distinctive van was parked on Hickling Road, Porchester between 7pm on March 8 and 7am on March 9.

PICTURED: Image of the van reported to be stolen (PICTURE: Notts Police)

A spokesman for Nottinghamshire Police said: “The van is very distinctive in its appearance with wooden panelling to look like a garden shed mounted on a Ford Transit van chassis.”

If you have any information on its whereabouts please contact Nottingham Police on 101 and quote incident number 0106_09032020.