Home Blog Page 649

Detective reveals search is being ramped up around Notts after serious assault in Mapperley

Police officers say they are continuing with their search to find a man named Joseph Chattaway following a serious assault in Mapperley

Officers are asking for the public’s help to track down the man as they believe he still may be in the Nottinghamshire area.

There has been an increased police presence in the area since Wednesday’s incident.

Police were called to Pilkington Road at around 2pm after a man and a woman were reported to have been assaulted.

They were taken to hospital for treatment of serious injuries, the man remains in a critical condition, the woman’s condition is thought to be stable and her injuries are not believed to be life-threatening.

PICTURED: Joseph Chattaway

Detective Inspector Parminder Dhillon (pictured, above) is leading the investigation into the assault.

He said: “We are keen to speak to Joseph Chattaway in connection with the incident.

“We believe that he has information that could help us with our enquiries.

“We are calling on residents for their help. They have been hugely supportive so far this week, but we urge them to continue to call in with any information.

“The force is now putting considerable resource into finding.

“If you recognise him whilst you are out and about this weekend, then please do not approach him, but ring 999 immediately.”

Neighbourhood Inspector Chris Pearson, of Nottinghamshire Police, said: “I understand resident’s concerns as this was a shocking incident and as such, we have made sure that officers have been in the area both for reassurance and to address any worries the community may have.

“There will be officers patrolling the area this weekend and I would urge anyone in the area with any concerns to speak with them or call Nottinghamshire Police on 101.

“The incident was an isolated one with all parties involved known to each other and detectives are working around the clock to establish the circumstances.”

If you have any information on the incident, please contact Nottinghamshire Police on 101 quoting incident number 330 of 5 August 2020.

Wedding guests will have to wear face coverings at Arnold Registry Office from today

Visitors to Arnold Registry Office will now be required to wear face coverings when attending ceremonies.

From today (August 8), anyone attending a wedding or civil partnership ceremony, a notice of marriage appointment or a birth registration appointment must wear a face covering unless they are exempt from doing so under Government guidelines.  

Brides, grooms and civil partners will not be required to wear face coverings during their ceremonies and are reminded that that social distancing and safety measures will be in place.

Arnot-Hill-House
Arnot Hill House (Image: Gedling Borough Council)

Councillor John Handley, Vice Chair of the Communities and Place Committee at Nottinghamshire County Council, said: “The Government announced on 31 July that face coverings will now be mandatory in an increased number of indoor settings, including registration offices and approved venues. 

“Since resuming birth registration appointments, notice of marriage appointments and wedding and civil partnership ceremonies, our staff have continued to ensure that safety is at the heart of delivering registration services.

“Wearing a face covering, along with social distancing and safety measures already in place, is important to help slow the spread of coronavirus.

“I would like to take this opportunity to recognise registration staff for their continued dedication to resuming services safely and it would be remiss not to thank couples, guests and parents for their patience and understanding when booking and attending appointments and ceremonies.”

Information on safety measures in place can be found on the county council website.

VIDEO: See how the revamped Arnold Market will look in this new flythrough video

A flythrough video has been released showing how the revamped Arnold Market will look like once completed.

The £4m scheme was approved by the cabinet on Thursday (August 6), and the council will now have to apply to itself for planning permission.

It is hoped construction work on the site could start in January next year, before the facility is opened to the public by Christmas 2021.

The borough council bought the site back in July 2018, arguing it was under-used and in need of significant investment.

A new two-storey ‘landmark’ building, between the Methodist Church and King George V park will now be created as part of the upgrade. 

PICTURED: A view of the new plaza (IMAGE: GBC)

A Gedling Borough Council report on the upgrade said: “One of the primary aims of purchasing the site was to revitalise the market area with new market stalls and reignite both seller and consumer interest in utilising this area as a vibrant marketplace. 

“To this end, the development of the new building and improvements to the public realm will increase interest in the market stalls. 

A view of the new-loo market from Gedling Road (Image: GBC)

“It is envisaged that this will generate enough interest to fully occupy the 24 market stalls provided within the development site.”

Labour councillor John Clarke is the leader of the council.

He said: “I think this fits entirely where we want to go, in terms of a restructure, building and making something for people to be proud of across the borough, and hopefully it will be an attraction for people to come along, not only to the market but also to do other things.

“It’s an excellent project. We need to back it, people out there need to back it, and we need to work with small businesses because the country is built on small businesses.”

Increased police presence in Mapperley tonight after serious assault

There will be an increased police presence in Mapperley tonight after reports of a serious assault on Wednesday.

Officers were called to Pilkington Road at around 2pm after a man and a woman were reported to have been assaulted.

They were taken to hospital for treatment of serious injuries, the man remains in a critical condition, the woman’s condition is thought to be stable and her injuries are not believed to be life-threatening.

Officers have been in the area since the assault and an appeal for the public to help locate a man named Joseph Chattaway has been launched.

Police have since issued a new picture of Chattaway.

PICTURED: Joseph Chattaway

Neighbourhood Inspector Chris Pearson, of Nottinghamshire Police, said: “I understand resident’s concerns as this was a shocking incident and as such, we have made sure that officers have been in the area both for reassurance and to address any worries the community may have.

“There will be officers patrolling the area this evening and I would urge anyone in the area with any concerns to speak with them or call Nottinghamshire Police on 101.

“The incident was an isolated one with all parties involved known to each other and detectives are working around the clock to establish the circumstances.”

Detective Inspector Parminder Dhillon is leading the investigation into the assault. He said: “We are keen to speak to Joseph Chattaway in connection with the incident yesterday.

“We believe that he has information that could help us with our enquiries.

“We are urging any members of the public that might see Chattaway to not approach him, but to ring 999 immediately.”

If you have any information on the incident, please contact Nottinghamshire Police on 101 quoting incident number 330 of 5 August 2020. 

Council foots bill for graffiti tag clean-up operation of historic plane at Colwick school

Gedling Borough Council has generously footed the bill for a clean-up operation which took place this morning on a historic plane targeted by vandals in a Colwick school playground.

Colwick Ward councillor for Gedling Borough Council, Cllr Meredith Lawrence approached the authority and asked if they would pay for a large graffiti tag to be removed from the plane, which rests in the playground of St John’s C of E School in the village..

The council pledged to pay the bill and today (August 7) a cleaning team were dispatched to the site on Vale Road, using pressure washers and cleaning agents to remove the tag.

PICTURED: Head teacher Rachel Ireland, left, and Cllr Meredith Lawrence watched the plane clean-up operation taking place this morning (PHOTO: Gedling Eye)

Cllr Lawrence, who is also a a governor at the school, said: “After speaking with the council as Colwick Ward councillor and also as a school governor, they kindly agreed to come along to the school this morning and undertake the work on the plane for free.”

It had been feared that the primary school would have to dip into its funds to get the cleaning carried out.

But as well as the council showing support, parents also offered to clean up and repaint the plane for free in their spare time so money could be saved.

A clean-up operation was taking place this morning (PHOTO: Gedling Eye)

Head teacher Rachel Ireland said: “It’s been fantastic to see the local community, parish and borough councils all come together to show their support for our school.

“The graffiti tag was an eyesore and I’m glad it’s being removed.”

£4 million upgrade for Arnold Market approved

A long-awaited upgrade to Arnold Market has been given the green light. 

The borough council bought the site back in July 2018, arguing it was under-used and in need of significant investment.

Today, councillors have given approval to the new scheme, which includes a two-storey ‘landmark’ building, between the Methodist Church and King George V park. 

The building will have seven small outlets, designed to be attractive to small, independent businesses, and will provide a ‘central focal point for the market’. 

Solar panels are planned to be installed on the roof of the building.

The first floor of the building will be set aside for flexible business space, which could be used either as a  single office or subdivided offices.

An office and toilets for traders would also be included on the ground floor of the new building. 

It is not expected that public toilets will be provided, however the council says upgrades to public toilets are already planned elsewhere in the town centre, and that businesses felt public toilets in the new building could detract from the commercial appeal.

A new public square will also be built in front of the new building as part of the plans, retaining the town’s 24 market stalls.

Even the threat of terrorism has been considered in the highly-detailed business case approved today.

It says: “Counter-terrorism measures have been reviewed with the council’s health and safety officer. 

“Typical street elements such as bollards, seats and planters have been creatively arranged to form a physical barrier between the new market place and the highway to protect the public and feature lighting will be integrated into the landscape design.”

Arnold Market
PICTURED: Councillor Gary Gregory, Councillor Jenny Hollingsworth, Leader of Gedling Borough Council Councillor John Clarke and Deputy Leader Councillor Michael Payne outside Arnold Market

A Gedling Borough Council report on the upgrade says: “One of the primary aims of purchasing the site was to revitalise the market area with new market stalls and reignite both seller and consumer interest in utilising this area as a vibrant marketplace. 

“To this end, the development of the new building and improvements to the public realm will increase interest in the market stalls. 

“It is envisaged that this will generate enough interest to fully occupy the 24 market stalls provided within the development site.”

Labour councillor John Clarke is the leader of the council. He said: “I think this fits entirely where we want to go, in terms of a restructure, building and making something for people to be proud of across the borough, and hopefully it will be an attraction for people to come along, not only to the market but also to do other things.

“It’s an excellent project. We need to back it, people out there need to back it, and we need to work with small businesses because the country is built on small businesses.”

Jenny Holingsworth is the Labour councillor for the Gedling ward, and the portfolio holder for growth and regeneration.

She said: “The consultation was overwhelmingly positive for regeneration, I think the pictures today show what an exciting project it is, and shows the confidence we’ve got in our town centres to encourage people to come to us.

“I’m absolutely delighted to see the solar panels on the top and the air source heat pumps that will go inside to provide heating and cooling.”

The approval by the council’s cabinet today (Thursday, August 6), means the council will now apply to itself for planning permission for the new building.

It is hoped construction work on the site could start in January next year, before the facility is opened to the public by Christmas next year.

Police issue image of man they want to speak to after serious assault in Mapperley

Nottinghamshire Police have tonight issued an image of a man they want to speak to following a serious assault in Mapperley

Officers have said they want to speak to 25-year-old Joseph Chattaway (pictured) in connection with the incident.

Detective Inspector Parminder Dhillon is leading the investigation.

He said: “We are keen to speak to Joseph Chattaway in connection with the incident yesterday.

“We believe by speaking to him he will be able to help us with our enquiries.

PICTURED: Joseph Chattaway

“We are urging any members of the public that might see Chattaway to not approach him, but to ring 999 immediately.”

The appeal to find him follows a serious assault at around 2pm on Wednesday, August 5, 2020.

Officers were called to Pilkington Road at around 2pm on Wednesday (August 5) following reports of a man and a woman injured following a serious assault.

Police said a man and a woman remain in hospital following the incident and officers remain at the scene tonight, whilst detectives carry out their enquiries.

Neighbourhood Policing Inspector Chris Pearson, of Nottinghamshire Police, said: “This incident will undoubtedly have been concerning for the local community. 

“Our officers are working around the clock to investigate the circumstances of this incident but we do know that it was isolated and that all parties involved were known to each other. 

“We have upped patrols in the area to provide reassurance and I urge anyone with any concerns to speak to one of our officers.”

If you have witnessed the incident, please contact Nottinghamshire Police on 101 quoting incident number 330 of 5 August 2020.

Nottingham East MP Nadia Whittome calls for public support as Notts NHS nurses march to get pay rise

Nottingham East MP Nadia Whittome is calling on the government to give nurses the pay they ‘utterly deserve’ ahead of protests in the city over NHS salaries this weekend.

The protest over nurses’ pay will take place in Nottingham city centre between 11am and 1.30pm on Saturday, August 8, near the Brian Clough statue next to Old Market Square.

The protest has been organised in response to the Government issuing a pay rise to armed forces, teachers, police officers, the National Crime Agency, prison officers, doctors and dentists.

MP Nadia Whittome said she hopes the protest ‘sends a clear message to the government that NHS staff deserve a pay rise’.

She told Gedling Eye: “During the height of the COVID-19 pandemic is was NHS and care staff who were at the fore front of the battle against this disease, putting their own lives on the line on a daily basis.

PICTURED: Nottingham East MP Nadia Whittome

“The country had such admiration for our NHS staff and carers, that each week thousands of people stood on their front doors and clapped as a sign of gratitude. It seemed that after 10 years of austerity and the systematic running down of our NHS, that the whole country, and all political parties, were united in recognising the true value of these workers.

“Therefore, when a public sector pay increase was announced no one could have imagined that some NHS and care staff would be left behind; and yet that is exactly what this Conservative government did.

“In my constituency of Nottingham East, some wards have child poverty rates of 58%. How many of these children are the sons and daughters of NHS and care staff? Children whose parents risk their lives every day, and yet can barely afford to put food on the table. Our country can and must do better than this.

“Additionally, so far it is estimated that 540 NHS staff have lost their lives as a result of COVID-19, with a huge 63% of these coming from a BAME or migrant background.

“We know the price that NHS and care staff have paid to keep the country going, now we must stand shoulder to shoulder with NHS workers and demand that they receive the pay rise they so thoroughly and urgently deserve.”

Sainsbury’s store on Colwick Loop Road gets green light – and 100 jobs will be created

Plans for a new Sainsbury’s supermarket in Colwick were approved by Gedling Borough Council last night(August 5).

A new Sainsbury’s supermarket, Argos store and petrol station will now be created on land next to Colwick Loop Road.

Construction work will start before the end of the year with the new store opening in summer 2021

Sainsbury-sign

Sainsbury’s have said that over 100 new jobs will be created for the local community when the new store opens.

Patrick Dunne, Sainsbury’s Property Director said: “We’re excited about the plans for our new store, which will provide a significant investment in Colwick, supporting economic growth locally, creating jobs and providing a convenient shopping location for residents.

“We are delighted that our amended plans are recommended for approval and hope to welcome the local community into the new store by next summer.”

Police update: Man and woman in ‘critical condition’ after serious assault in Mapperley

Police have said that a man and a woman discovered yesterday after a serious assault in Mapperley are ‘in a critical condition’.

Officers were called to Pilkington Road at around 2pm yesterday to reports of a man and a woman injured following a serious assault.

Police said they were quick to arrived at the scene and establish the circumstances.

A scene remains in place in Pilkington Road while detectives carry out their enquiries.

Neighbourhood Policing Inspector Chris Pearson, of Nottinghamshire Police, said: “This incident will undoubtedly have been concerning for the local community.

“Our officers are working around the clock to investigate the circumstances of this incident but we do know that it was isolated and that all parties involved were known to each other.

“We have upped patrols in the area to provide reassurance and I urge anyone with any concerns to speak to one of our officers.

If you have witnessed the incident, please contact Nottinghamshire Police on 101 quoting incident number 330 of 5 August 2020.