Home Blog Page 358

Burton Joyce children give stamp of approval to King’s Coronation

Delights store and the Post Office in Burton Joyce ran a ‘Design a Coronation Stamp’ competition as part of a massive weekend of Coronation events in the village.

The competition was so popular with the local children that every inch of the shop and Post Office windows and door were covered in entries.

Two winners chosen from the hundreds of entries were named as George Caudwell aged 5 with a fabulous bright coloured picture of King Charles and an equally brilliant one of Big Ben by Freddie Winnet aged 10.

Pictured: Winner no.2 ‘King Charles’ by George Caudwell aged 5 (PHOTO: Nic Walsh and Julie Fowler)

Both winners received a winner’s prize of a £15 One for All voucher and a big bag of Delight’s amazing sweets.

Pictured: Winner no.1 ‘Big Ben’ by Freddie Winnet aged 10 (PHOTO: Nic Walsh and Julie Fowler)

Nic Walsh and Julie Fowler (Co-owners of Delights) said “We wanted to run the competition to encourage the local children to get involved with this amazing event and to think about what a coronation is all about, and also to encourage the great sense of community that we have here in our village.

“They all look wonderful, the children have done an amazing job”.

Pictured: Entries on display stands outside Delights and The Post Office shop front (PHOTO: Nic Walsh and Julie Fowler)
Pictured: Entries on display throughout Delights and The Post Office (PHOTO: Nic Walsh and Julie Fowler)

Delights and the Post Office can be found at 53 Main Street, Burton Joyce with further information and contact available on their facebook page here.

Lambley: Crown and other items taken from village coronation display

Decorations put in place for King Charles III’s Coronation have been taken in Lambley

A crown, cushion and teddy that had been created by the ladies at Lambley WI have been removed from their popular bus stop display.

Alison Moss, secretary for Lambley WI said: “We have discovered these items have been removed from the bus shelter.”

“Lambley WI would be grateful if all members of the community could assist to secure their return as soon as possible.”

The local WI decorate the village bus stop regularly celebrating key events like Easter, Christmas and Royal occasions.

Pictured: Lambley Coronation bus stop transformation with the missing crown, cushion and teddy (PHOTO: Courtesy of Lambley WI)

Anyone with information can submit it via the Lambley WI facebook page or by emailing Michelle on nightingale633@gmail.com

Two men arrested after break-in at Calverton takeaway

Police investigating a break-in at a takeaway restaurant in Calverton have arrested two suspects.

Officers were called to Planet Pizza, in St Wilfrids Square after the break-in took place at around 2.15am on Monday (8). Offenders had smashed the front door of the business and stole a tips jar and the till from inside. While carrying out house-to-house inquiries and analysing CCTV coverage in the area, response officers located two suspects. Two men, aged 49 and 50, were arrested on suspicion of burglary.

Inspector Mark Stanley, neighbourhood policing inspector for Calverton, said: “Any burglary, whether on a home or business, is an invasive and unpleasant crime which we take very seriously. “Break-ins can have an impact on businesses, both financially, and emotionally for the hard-working staff who are impacted by the offence. No one should have to come into their place of work to find it has been smashed into.


“The force treats burglary very seriously, with teams dedicated to preventing and investigating incidents as well as putting suspects before the courts at the earliest opportunity.

“I’m pleased we were able to locate two suspects so quickly and this is an important step.

“Our investigation remains ongoing, however, and anyone with any information should call 101, quoting incident number 171 of 8 May 2023, or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.”

‘Ending the 8am rush’: How new GP changes will impact you

A new radical plan for the NHS is underway, which could improve access to primary health care for patients in Gedling borough.

For the first time in history, patients who need certain prescription medications – such as antibiotics – will be able to obtain them from a pharmacy, without seeing a GP.

This applies to seven common conditions including earache, sore throat and urinary tract infections.

Also, women will no longer need to speak to a practice nurse or GP to access oral contraception and will instead be able to pop into their local pharmacy for it.

The new move aims to improve access to care, better support patients to manage their own health, and modernise general practice for future generations.

Why are these changes being made?

Prime Minister Rishi Sunak said he hopes the measures will help end the “all-too stressful wait” for appointments by freeing up 15 million slots at doctors’ surgeries over the next two years.

Sunak said: “I know how frustrating it is to be stuck on hold to your GP practice when you or a family member desperately need an appointment for a common illness.”

“We will end the 8am rush and expand the services offered by pharmacies, meaning patients can get their medication quickly and easily,” he added.

According to the NHS, £645m will be invested over the next two years to boost staffing and resources under the new plan.

Carlton Town SOS call gaining momentum after ‘shocking’ electric bill received

Supporters of a Gedling football club hit by a ‘shocking’ electricity bill are coming to the rescue – but they say more help is needed.

Carlton Town revealed that after recently submitting a meter reading, they then received a bill for a whopping £8714.03 (including VAT).

An updated statement from The Millers on their official website has outlined the current position including the amazing support of all connected to the club.

Pledges from Chairman Mick Garton, vice Chairman Barry North and sponsors Gilbert Wealth will bring in at least £2,500 towards the horrendous electricity bill.

Carlton Town is also hoping to raise around £1,000 from a sports day, and cash from an extra Speakers event in September. Supporter Kelly Mitchell has also set up a donation page in order to hopefully raise another £500 towards clearing the huge debt.

Boatsy and Charlie called in at Trent Bridge at the weekend and friend of the club Luke Fletcher helped the duo secure a mini bat signed by arguably England’s greatest-ever bowling duo Jimmy Anderson and Stuart Broad.

Kelly’s appeal has already hit the £300 mark and donations can be made here

Commercial Chief Gary Clarke (pictured) can be contacted on 07907 064189

The club have a Night at Nottingham Greyhound Stadium on Friday, May 12 with tickets at £7 each and are available from Mr Clarke on the above number.

The latest statement and news can be read on the Millers website HERE

Landlord turfs nail bar out of Calverton premises

Pictured: Nails Bar with all signage removed (Gedling Eye)

A nail bar in Calverton has been repossessed by landlords.

Customers of ‘Nails Bar’ were shocked to find the business on St Wilfrid’s Square locked and empty.

A forfeiture notice is now being displayed on the inside of the main door and all signage has been removed.

Locals have expressed their shock at their closure on the village’s dedicated Facebook page, with one writing: “Calverton Nail shop, GONE!!!!”

Pictured: Nails Bar with signage (Facebook)

The notice was served by Parkinsons Bailiff Services Ltd, Enforcement Agents on Long Hai Cao of 14 St. Wilfrid’s Square, Calverton, NG14 6FP.

Pictured: Forfeiture Notice (Gedling Eye)

The notice was served on behalf of the landlord Rookman Properties Limited on May 5 formally determining the lease and advising that any attempt by Long Hai Cao or their agents to enter the premises would result in criminal and civil proceedings being taken.

Anti-social alleyways in Carlton, Colwick and Mapperley could be gated off for another three years

Three alleyways in Carlton, Colwick and Mapperley could be gated off for another three years to try to reduce anti-social behaviour.

Nottingham City Council will be consulting residents on its plans to keep the alleyways closed using Public Space Protection Orders (PSPOs), otherwise known as gating orders, which stop access to certain areas.

Metal barriers, or palisade security fencing, is typically used to stop people going through areas which are covered by an order.

Loxley_House
PICTURED: Loxley House

The council says the alleyways had become magnets for anti-social behaviour, which the Labour-run council says was having “a detrimental effect” on the lives of residents nearby.

Council delegated decision documents say there had been reports of the “persistent deposit of dog faeces, litter, broken bottles, other detritus and other anti-social behaviour has had a detrimental effect on the quality of life of those in the locality of the restricted area”.

Without the PSPOs the council says the problems are “likely to continue to an unreasonable extent”.

Three of the problematic alleyways are in Botany Avenue in Mapperley, Candle Meadow in Colwick Park and Kilnwood Close in Carlton.

Some of the gating orders date back as far as 2007, with extensions issued every three years owing to the issues in the area.

Residents will be consulted on whether the orders need to be extended further, with the orders expiring between October and November later this year.

Council documents add: “Since the orders one to 11 inclusive were made, there has been a significant reduction in the anti-social behaviour reported in the locality of the respective areas.

“However, if [the orders] are allowed to expire, which would result in the barriers being removed, this may result in the recurrence of the identified anti-social behaviour in these locations.”

New beauty salon to open its doors for first time this week in Arnold

Jordan Dilks (25), is taking the leap and opening her own salon in Arnold after working in the beauty industry for over nine years.  

Gedling Eye caught up with new business owner, Jordan who told us that “Studio Mae Beauty is opening on Wednesday, May 10 at The Annex, Chapel Court, Chapel Lane, Arnold, NG5 7DR.”

The new intimate salon, just off High Street, will be offering a variety of treatments in a relaxing environment.

PHOTO: Studio Mae

Studio Mae will also be holding an opening party on Friday, May 12 from 6-8pm.  

Jordan said: “I was working in a salon in West Bridgford for four years and now I feel like it’s the right time to open my own salon.  

“I do a lot of bridal makeup and I wanted a really nice quiet private space for things like bridal trials, for people to bring their bridesmaids and a bottle of prosecco if they want to and just create like an all-round really nice experience for my clients. 

“As it’s more of a private relaxed studio if you suffer from anxiety about these kinds of situations then it will obviously be perfect.”  

PHOTO: Studio Mae

She added: “The other girls and I are all down to earth, we are hot on women empowerment and want the salon to be like a home away from home.”  

Jordan wants the store to make visitors feel at ease and believes that is what will make Studio Mae different from other salons in the area.  

On opening Studio Mae will be hosting several offers, including 20 per cent off all of Jordan’s facial treatments as well as 15 per cent off microblading with a free top up.  

Jordan is excited to get opened and can’t wait to welcome customers in her new Arnold studio.  

Further offers and details can be found on their website here or Facebook Page here

PLANNING: Application submitted to split former Mapperley branch of Barclays into two separate units.

A planning application has been submitted to Gedling Borough Council relating to an empty retail unit previously occupied by Barclays Bank at 17 Plains Road, Mapperley.

Barclays closed the branch on July 9, 2021; the property is believed to have been vacant since the closure.

The application has been submitted on behalf of Courtenay Investments Limited by GCP Chartered Architects has applied for permission to separate the existing retail unit into two separate units – a ground floor and second floor unit (Class E), to make amendments to shop frontages to suit new entrances required and an addition of a new delivery door to rear of unit and new escape stair to proposed first floor unit

Pictured: The former Barclays branch (GEDLING EYE)

There is no indication in the planning application as to the future use of the units. An amendment to the Town and Country Planning Regulations 2020 advises that uses under Class E planning include, but are not limited to – the display or retail supply of goods, sale of food and drink, financial services, professional services, indoor sport and health or medical services. Full legislative details can be accessed here

A local resident said “Its just another empty unit that is an eyesore, just like the other bank after they closed that (TSB) and Greggs across the road. They shut up shop and leave the properties empty – I’m in support of anything that brings life back to the highstreet”

The property is currently being advertised to let by NG Chartered Surveyors on their website www.ng-cs.com.

Full details regarding planning application 0023/0300 can be found here

Carlton Town face ‘financial challenge’ after receiving £7.9k electricity bill

A Gedling football club is to call an emergency meeting after receiving a ‘horrendous’ electricity bill.

Carlton Town’s official website revealed they recently received a hefty energy bill that will present a ‘financial challenge

The Millers announced that they recently submitted a meter reading and have now been hit with an electricity bill for over £7900.

The club said that after having tied the club into a favourable energy rate prior to the massive price increases last year, the club did not anticipate anywhere near that kind of bombshell.

A spokesman said: “The club received an updated invoice and then paid over £2,000 following the last meter read and then accepted an increase in their monthly direct debit payments to avoid any future shocks.

The club revealed that their direct debit contribution will almost double going forward.

A spokesman said: “A full assessment of how this increase has happened will be carried out in the coming weeks and with a further increase on the cards when the current contract runs out later this year, the Millers face yet another financial challenge.

They added: “The club has also had significant travel costs this season following the FA’s decision to move the club into the Northern Premier East League from the Midland League.

The statement confirmed that the club are considering their options to “come up with ideas to raise the additional funds’ to help settle this bill.

They said: “Any suggestions or help from Sponsors, Supporters or those who care about the club would be much appreciated.”

Commercial Chief Gary Clarke (pictured) can be contacted on 07907 064189

The club have apologised for putting out a bad news story, but believe that being transparent is the best way forward.

The club have a Night at Nottingham Greyhound Stadium on Friday May 12 May, tickets at £7 each are available off Gary on the above number.

The full statement can be read on the Millers website HERE