These entries from John’s diary detail how he decided to turn a former baptist church into a liberal club, in a bid to pull people away from the public houses.
Angie Keyworth is a relative of The Godfrey family, who were wealthy landowners in Carlton at the turn of the last century and were responsible for building Park House. She has been covering their story in Gedling Eye.
Angie Keyworth is the great-grandaughter of John Godfrey, the original owner of Park House in Carlton. Here she shares memories of her family and the time they spent in this historic house
The Golden Ball in Carlton is one of the ones that are now long gone. In the 1750s however, Carlton’s Golden Ball was occupied by one Samuel Parley
- Mapperley NewsLocal HistoryNews
Remembering the Mapperley musician who stormed the charts and performed with Nat King Cole and Frank Sinatra
For listeners to the BBC Home Service in the late 1940s, the sound of the BBC Show in the late 1940s the sound of the BBC Show Band playing the popular tunes at the time were a nightly pleasure. The leader of this band was Cyril Stapleton.
- Local History
Burton Joyce Village Hall was unusual choice of venue for pioneering broadcast in the early days of BBC local radio
Village venue was strangely selected chosen over Nottingham’s Albert Hall for broadcast of new musical play
- NewsGedling NewsLocal History
‘His mind was unhinged by the belief that he had an incurable disease’: The tragic tale of an England cricket legend who shot himself in Gedling after becoming convinced he was terminally ill
Arthur Shrewsbury was the mainstay of the Nottinghamshire batting line-up for over two decades and is often hailed as the best batsman England ever produced
- Local History
Managers of historic mill in Arnot Hill Park were radical thinkers who introduced Methodism to the town
It was back in 1791 that a worsted mill was constructed on the site of Arnot Hill Park to produce a high-quality type of wool yarn.
Historian Bob Massey shares a story about a tragic trip to the seaside back in 1857.