Home Blog Page 907

Men arrested in Sherwood for ‘hate crime’

0

Police have arrested two men after a racially aggravated crime at a mosque in Sherwood.

Police were called to the Al-Quba Masjid mosque in Edwards Lane at 1.45am on June 18 following reports of two men acting suspiciously

Two men, aged 30 and 27 have been arrested on suspicion of racially aggravated public order offences.

Officers attended and from there, a hate crime investigation was launched.

They have since been released under bail conditions.

We are committed to working with all of our communities and support them in every way possible. We take hate crime very seriously and would encourage anyone who has been a victim to call us on 101.

Police dog kennels in Arnold reopen in memory of fallen colleague

0

Nottinghamshire Police has today unveiled its fully refurbished dog kennels at Force Headquarters in Arnold – which have been named after a fallen colleague.

A major building project has been taking place at the force’s Sherwood Lodge Headquarters to upgrade and modernise the dog kennels.

A decision was made to name them as a tribute to former Nottinghamshire Police dog handler, PC Ged Walker who was killed in the line of duty in 2003.

Walker was dragged to his death by a stolen taxi as he tried to arrest the driver. Former drug addict David Parfitt from Nottingham was jailed in 2003 for 13 years for manslaughter.

Today (Friday), at a special ceremony, the unit will be officially opened by Chief Constable Craig Guildford, Police and Crime Commissioner Paddy Tipping and Ged’s widow, Tracy Walker.

Nottinghamshire Police chief constable, Craig Guildford, said: “Today is a really proud day, to be able to open brand new kennels in memory of someone who was a huge inspiration to the Force gives me great pleasure.

“As we know, police dogs are incredibly important for us to support vital investigative and prevention work and we’re grateful that we can invest in this area, as well as ensure that they’re housed and trained in the best possible surroundings.”

Also in attendance will be members of Ged Walker’s family, some of his colleagues and some of Nottinghamshire Police’s current serving dog handlers, along with the dogs who will be benefitting from the new facilities.

Police and Crime Commissioner Paddy Tipping said: “The welfare of all those who work for Nottinghamshire Police is hugely important and the dogs are no exception. With their specialist abilities they are key members of the policing family and now our very hard-working four-legged friends can benefit from these modern, well-equipped kennels and training facilities.

“I’m particularly grateful to Tracy Walker for permitting us to name the new kennel block in her husband’s memory. I know that Ged was held in high regard by all his colleagues and I think everyone agrees this is a very fitting way to remember him.”

In addition to his responsibilities for all Nottinghamshire Police’s property, the Commissioner runs the Animal Welfare Lay Visitors Scheme.  This sees canine experts making regular checks on the condition and welfare of the police dogs, providing independentverification of their health and wellbeing.

Police vehicles in Gedling borough now equipped with ANPR

0

Police vehicles patrolling Gedling borough will are now equipped with Automatic Numberplate Recognition (ANPR) to help them in their fight against crime.

The cameras, which have been funded with help from Gedling Borough Council, have been fitted to vehicles belonging to the Gedling Safer Neighbourhoods Teams

ANPR cameras help stop crime by reading number plates of cars on the road and then alerting officers if the vehicle has no insurance, tax or MOT.

It will also flag up vehicles which police are searching for.

These vehicles driving through the area would previously have gone undetected by patrol cars but now the new system will alert officers if the car scanned is of interest.

A police spokesman for Gedling Safer Neighbourhood Teams said : “In our ever-developing tactics to stop criminals using our roads networks to commit crimes, the Gedling Safer Neighbourhoods Team vehicles have now been equipped with ANPR technology and the results have been immediate, denying criminals use of the roads.

 

“This new equipment has been bought in partnership with Gedling Borough Council.

“Once again we are dedicated to preventing crime and we hope this technology will give us the advantage over those who use our roads to commit crime.”

Rogue doorstep ‘fishmongers’ targeting homes in Gedling borough

0

Trading Standards officers are warning residents in Gedling borough about what appears to be door-to-door fish-selling scammers.

Nottinghamshire County Council’s Trading Standards team have said they’ve received a spate of complaints about doorstep traders selling fish in the area.

Since February officers have received 12 complaints from residents, but they believe the issue is much more extensive.

Complainants have reported that doorstep salesmen have been offering different types of fish and misleading residents into thinking they are buying small quantities but then hand over a large amount and demand as much as £264 for payment.

It is also not clear what species of fish that they are selling or where the fish was caught, its origins and whether it contains any additives or colours.

Councillor Gordon Wheeler, vice-chair of the Communities and Place Committee at Nottinghamshire County Council, said: “We’ve had an increase in complaints in recent months about this type of scam and it follows the usual doorstep crime pattern of misleading people about what is for sale and then landing them with unexpected large bill.

“The money lost is not the only issue as the lack of labelling on the fish makes it unclear to the consumer what they are actually buying, so we are advising local people to say a firm no to all doorstep sellers and buy their fish from a reputable trader.”

Anyone who has been approached by fish sellers in this manner should contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or the Citizens Advice Consumer Service on 08454 04 05 06.

Carer urges others to sign up to Shared Lives scheme

0

A carer who looks after a disabled woman from Gedling is backing a push for more carers to help adults in the borough live independently

Jane Wragg, 56, and her husband Paul have been Shared Lives carers for Nottinghamshire County Council for three years and are one of 62 Shared Lives households in the county.

As part of the scheme, residents can share their home and family with older people, or people with a disability or a mental health need for long-term support or a short break.

Carers are paid depending on the needs of the person or people they care for.

Jane looks after Valerie, 54, from Gedling, for a weekend every fortnight along with a 22-year-old man full time. Both adults have a learning disability.

She initially offered short breaks as she worked full time as a health and safety advisor but decided to become a full-time Shared Lives carer eighteen months ago.

Jane said: “Valerie and I have a real laugh and we are a bit of a comedy act. She was very quiet when I first met her but she has really come out of her shell, which is a joy to see.

“I’ve taken her to see her first panto and we had a break away to Ingoldmells recently, which was her first holiday. It is so rewarding to see her progressing before my eyes, like her moving on from basic jigsaws to complex 500 piece sets.

“I’m a people person and I like to give something back. I dipped my toe into the water when I first offered short breaks and decided this was the path I wanted to take full-time, so I suggest to people interested in becoming a Shared Lives carer to give short breaks a try first.

“The great thing about the scheme is you can give people one-to-one support which they wouldn’t get in other settings.”

Valerie said: “I like walking the dogs, doing jigsaws and going to the gym.”

Councillor Stuart Wallace, Chairman of Nottinghamshire County Council’s Adult Social Care and Public Health Committee, said: “This is a wonderful scheme that helps people to gain greater independence and become part of the community through their time with a Shared Live carer where they enjoy a real-life home environment.

“We work closely with Shared Lives carers and the people needing support to get a good match and potential carers need a bit of spare time, a spare room if they are looking to offer overnight stays and a caring nature.

“For many people, this can be an alternative occupation and all carers receive training and ongoing support.”

Anyone who is interested in becoming a Shared Lives carer can visit www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/sharedlives, email sharedlives@nottscc.gov.uk or phone 0300 500 80 80.

Power cuts spark blackouts in Colwick and Netherfield

0

Power cuts have sparked blackouts this afternoon in areas of Colwick and Netherfield.

The cause is currently under investigation by Western Power, but they don’t yet have an estimated time as to when power will return to properties in the affected area.

If you are experiencing a power cut then call 105: it’s free of charge and an operator will put you through to your local operator who can give support and advice.

What to do during a power cut

  • Switch off all electrical appliances that shouldn’t be left unattended, ready for when the power comes back on.
  • Leave a light on so you know when the power outage has been resolved.
  • Check to see if your neighbours are okay.
  • Wrap up warm.
  • Contact your network operator to report the power cut, either by calling 105 or via their other available channels.

Can I use my phone during a power cut?

Cordless phones probably won’t work during a power cut. They take their power from the mains and most don’t have battery back-up. Traditional corded phones will work – you might want to keep one handy so you can plug it in and make phone calls if you have a power outage.

In most cases, mobile phones will work if they are charged. If you have a smartphone, you can visit your local network operator’s website or social media channels, where available, to report a power cut and get updates.

Should people on the Priority Services Register call 105?

The Priority Services Register is for people who might need extra support during a power cut; for example, people who need electricity for vital medical equipment.

If you are on the Register and you have a power cut, you should continue to call the phone number that you have been given.

Young voices wanted at new singing club in Netherfield

0

A professional singer is hoping to use music to bring youngsters together in the local community by launching a new voice academy.

Rebecca Lomas, who sings professionally across the UK, has set up the academy in Netherfield for children and teenagers in the borough who love to sing.

The club will run on a Wednesday between 6-7pm at Netherfield’s LOCO Youth Centre and is aimed at children aged between 8-13

Rebecca said she launched the classes to help tap into the community spirit she has seen since moving into the local area.

She said: “After moving into Netherfield a few months ago it became quite apparent what a fantastic community spirit the town has.

“They do say music brings the people together, so on the back of that I’ve decided to start a singing club for the youth of Netherfield and surrounding area to attend.”

  • If parents want their child to attend Rebecca’s voice academy then they can register their interest by texting 07891672348

Masked men smash windows at Arnold pub

0

Police are hunting for two masked men who smashed a number of windows at an Arnold pub and also threatened staff and customers.

Officers were called to the Friar Tuck in Gedling Road at about 10.10pm yesterday (June 20) after it was reported two men had used a hammer, chain and hockey stick to smash numerous internal and external windows at the public house.

They also smashed the windows of a car parked outside.

The men also made threats to people inside the pub before fleeing on a motorcycle. No one was hurt.

Anyone who has any information about the incident is urged to call Nottinghamshire Police on 101, quoting incident number 1011 of 20 June 2017, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Teen found with stab wounds inside car in Bestwood

0

A teenager has been found with stab wounds inside his car in Bestwood

The 19-year-old suffered a stab wound to his stomach in Chippenham Road at around 10pm on Monday (19).

Police were contacted by ambulance staff who took him to the Queens Medical Centre where he’s said to be recovering.

A spokesman for Nottinghamshire Police said: “If anyone saw anything suspicious in the area around the time it happened, particularly in relation to a blue coloured saloon type car, please contact us on 101 quoting incident 1061 of 19 June.”

Award for Arnold school pupils on board with independent travel scheme

0

Pupils at a school in Arnold with special educational needs and disabilities have received awards to mark their achievement of being an independent traveller.

Nottinghamshire County Council’s independent traveller training scheme helps boost young people’s confidence and self-esteem by preparing pupils with special needs with the skills they need to make own way from home to school or college each day. This includes using public transport and identifying landmarks to walk home safely.

This experience and skills of being a more independent traveller is helping young people to further education, work experience and increasingly their chance of employment.

Pupils from Derrymount in Arnold are among the 415 pupils at 34 schools and colleges currently signed up project with 480 staff from schools, colleges, the voluntary sector and transport companies trained to coach the students taking part.

One of the award winners was Tamzin Williams, 15, who is a pupil at Derrymount School. She said the scheme had helped her gain confidence.

She said: “It’s helped me a lot and I’m pleased to get this award. I feel a lot more confident now when I travel to school.”

Since September 2016, 25 students have become independent and now travel to and from school or college using public transport or walking.

Chairman of the council’s Children’s and Young People Committee, Cllr Philip Owen, who presented the awards said: “This is scheme is a fantastic way to support young people to be more independent.

“Most of us will remember the sense of freedom of travelling to school on your own. It can be a real milestone of independence.”

“The scheme not only helps more young people to feel ready to travel on their own, which brings many benefits for them in the long-term, it also reduces reliance on alternative forms of transport which can often be expensive.”