Home Blog Page 857

New era starts today for Netherfield Primary School as it becomes academy

0

A new chapter in the life of a primary school in Netherfield began today.

Netherfield Primary School officially became an academy today after joining the Greater Nottingham Education Trust (GNET).

Netherfield joins founder school Carlton le Willows in the local Multi Academy Trust after the Department of Education gave the green light to the move earlier last year.

Since the go-ahead for conversion, the partnership between Carlton le Willows and Netherfield Primary has gone from strength to strength. Staff have said that they are now working together with a shared vision and ambition to work for the benefit of children in both schools.

Netherfield Primary School head teacher Peter Hardern said: “Today is the day we officially join the Greater Nottingham Education Trust but we have actually been working closely with Carlton le Willows for many months now and the results of this collaboration are clear: better teaching, better learning and greater consistency on policy, such as attendance and governance.

“We look forward to an even closer, child focused, partnership which will serve the needs of our children from the age of three right until they are eighteen.”

GNET CEO Craig Weaver said: “I’m delighted that Netherfield Primary has officially joined GNET, which was formed with a view to creating a formal union of primary and secondary schools.

“Our aim is to be a local multi academy trust for local people, ensuring younger children in our community a smooth, effective and beneficial transition through their education.

“Netherfield Primary is already a feeder school for the Academy so formalising an existing relationship in this way will only strengthen links for the betterment of children and families in our community.”

ARNOLD: dispersal order issued for tonight

2

A Section 35 dispersal order has been put in place for Arnold town centre following recent reports of anti-social behaviour and robberies

The 36-hour dispersal order will starting this evening (March 1) at 6pm (under section 35 of the Anti-Social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014). The order will end at 6am on Saturday (March 3).

The designated areas include: Coppice Road, Leivers Avenue, Bonington Drive, Hallam’s Lane, Nottingham Road, St Albans Road, Furlong Street and streets and car parks within including the area around McDonalds on Sir John Robinson Way.

Nottinghamshire Police say this action is intended to prevent any further incidents from taking place.

The order provides police officers and community support officers with the powers to direct anyone 10 years or older to leave this specified area if they are involved in or likely to be involved anti-social behaviour, crime or disorder. If they return to that area after being moved on, they face being arrested.

ORDER: Coppice Road, Arnold.

Inspector Steven O’Neill said: “In response to recent incidents in Arnold and in order to pass a clear message out to the local community additional officers from Nottinghamshire Police and Neighbourhood Wardens from Gedling Borough Council are tasked to patrol the Town Centre area during this period and make full use of these dispersal powers they have been authorised to use.”

Park to reopen in Colwick after £50k revamp

0

A newly refurbished children’s play area in Colwick is set to be officially opened this weekend following  a £49,999 investment.

A funding bid was jointly made by Gedling Borough Council and Colwick Parish Council to WREN, a not-for-profit business that awards grants for community, conservation and heritage projects, from funds donated by waste and resource management company FCC Environment through the Landfill Communities Fund.

The new play area will feature a timber trail, swings, slides and toddler multi-unit climbing apparatus.

The Deputy Mayor of Gedling, Cllr Barbara Miller, Portfolio Holder for Environment, Councillor Peter Barnes will be attending the opening along with local children.

Cllr Peter Barnes, Portfolio Holder for Environment said: “We’re very pleased to be able to open the refurbished play area at Valeside Gardens and I’m sure the children will be delighted with all the new equipment. I’d like to thank Colwick Parish Council for all their hard work and to WREN for funding the project.”

Alison Nunn, Chair of Colwick Parish Council said: “The Parish Council would like to thank firstly WREN for the grant money that made this possible, Gedling Borough Council Parks Team for their support in every aspect of the funding application and their work on the park and especially the residents of Colwick Village who came together to turn a neglected space into an up-to-date area for people to meet and where children can play safely on new equipment.”

Cheryl Raynor, WREN’s grant manager for Nottinghamshire, said: “It’s wonderful to see something we have funded finally open and ready to make such a difference to children in the local area. WREN is always happy to consider grant applications for projects that benefit local communities and this is a great example of what can be achieved.”

Cash boost for Gedling Access Road as new council budget revealed

1

The Gedling Access Road is one of the projects set to benefit from extra spending on infrastructure announced today by Nottinghamshire County Council.

The Authority today confirmed they would provide a further £5.4m on the new Gedling Access Road after the new budget was agreed by councillors today.

The Gedling Access Road is a new 3.8km single carriageway road which will run from the A612 at the junction of Burton Road/Nottingham Road and Trent Valley Way to Mapperley Plains.

Main construction works are scheduled to start in winter 2018, subject to completion of statutory procedures, with the road anticipated to open by Spring 2020

The council also revealed they are to spend an extra £20m on highway spending in their new budget, which will see £142m in capital spending on the county’s roads between April 1 this year and 31 March 2022 – an increase of £20m on the previous allocation.

Gedling-Access-Road
PLANNED ROUTE: Gedling Access Road

The council say the extra money has been allocated to road improvements as a direct response to concerns raised by Nottinghamshire residents and will be particularly targeted at improvements to safety and the condition of roads in residential areas – those used by people every day.

The roads selected for investment will be those assessed as being likely to deteriorate in the next few years, with a view to saving money that would have been required for repairs in the longer term.

Over 100 roads across the county will be targeted using the new funding in the first 12 months and the roads selected will be announced tomorrow.

Councillor Richard Jackson, chairman of Finance and Major Contracts Management Committee, presented today’s budget to Full Council.

He said: “Comments and complaints about the condition of our roads dominate the mailbags of councillors from every part of the county.

“The extra £20m for highways capital improvements will take total spending to £142m over the next four years and is the biggest single increase ever made by the Council to roads spending. We’ve found a way of doing this whilst still being able to deliver the existing commitment to provide 1,015 housing with care places by 2021 as part of our strategy of helping older people live independently at home as long as possible with reduced care needs.”

The extra spending on roads forms part of a £390m capital programme focused on infrastructure improvements in every part of Nottinghamshire.

Other schemes in Gedling borough which will benefit include:

  • Brooke Farm in Linby, a training hub for adults with disabilities to learn skills for employment which will get an £353,000 investment to improve facilities.
  • £5.8m for a new school in Bestwood as part of £15m for new school places countywide

 

The budget report is available to download from the Nottinghamshire County Council website

Conman who stole from Lowdham pensioner jailed

0

A con-man who lied about being from the “water board” to steal from a pensioner in Lowdham has been jailed.

Jackie O’Neil, 35, was sentenced to four years and four months in prison for burglary with theft on Monday, February 26, 2018.

O’Neil, formerly of Old School Lane, Keadby, Scunthorpe, appeared in the back garden of the woman’s home in Lowdham and said he was dealing with a burst water pipe at the property.

He told the woman to hold on to the taps and tell him if they began to rattle while he carried out checks but what he really did was search the house.

JAILED: Jackie O’Neill

He stole jewellery and cash then fled over the garden fence.

Detective Constable Nicholas Wood said: “I am pleased with the sentence given to O’Neil as it shows that those who prey on the vulnerable will feel the weight of the judicial process.

Nottinghamshire Police takes crimes like these very seriously and we will do everything we can to ensure vulnerable people are protected and perpetrators are brought to justice.”

Borough breakfast clubs could get £1,000 cash boost from Kellogg’s

0

Breakfast clubs run by schools in Gedling borough could get a cash boost courtesy of cereal giant Kelloggs.

Kellogg’s is celebrating 20 years of championing breakfast clubs by offering schools across the borough the chance to get their hands on £1,000.

To mark the anniversary, the cereal giant will be giving a £1,000 grant away every school day of 2018.

Schools can apply for a Kellogg’s grant by visiting www.kelloggs.co.uk/breakfastclubs.

The scheme marks the 20th anniversary of the Kellogg’s Breakfast Club programme, which has provided £3 million of investment to schools and 70 million bowls of cereal since 1998.

Research shows that breakfast clubs help with everything from attendance and attainment to alleviating hunger and providing pre-school care.

They are a lifeline for many teachers as 68 per cent of teachers believe pupils would struggle to concentrate in class without their breakfast club, according to a report by Kellogg’s.

Kate Prince, from Kellogg’s, said: “We believe all children should have the opportunity to start the day with breakfast so we’re proud to have spent 20 years supporting so many schools across the UK.”

“The £1,000 we’re offering in 2018 underpins our pride and continuing commitment to our breakfast club programme.”

Kellogg’s currently has 3000 schools signed up to its network, offering them a range of resources and provisions to help them operate sustainable and effective breakfast clubs.

Man accused of murdering Arnold woman dies in prison

0

A man charged with the murder of a woman in Arnold has died in prison custody, it has been confirmed.

Simon Mellors, 56, of Berkeley Court, Nottingham, had been charged over the death of Janet Scott who was hit by a car in Nottingham city centre.

51-year-old Janet Scott died at the scene following the collision in Peel Street on January 29.

Mr Mellors had also been accused of the attempted murder of another man in the same collision.

A prison service spokesman told BBC News that Mr Mellors died in HMP Manchester on Sunday and an investigation had been launched.

MATCH REPORT: Carlton Town 4 – 1 Belper Town

A brace from Mamoke Akaunu helped 10-man Carlton Town to a 4-1 win against Belper Town at Stoke Lane, writes Alan Murphy

Akaunu’s double sandwiched goals from Ben Hutchinson and Jordan Wilson as the Millers overcame the dismissal of Darol Lucas with the score still 2-1 to secure an ultimately comfortable victory.

The final score was perhaps flattering to Carlton but Wayne Scott’s side did look secure once Hutchinson’s strike had regained the lead early in the second half.

Scott himself was absent so Kelvin Dudley and Lee Esam took charge.  They named a side showing just the one change from the side which drew at Cleethorpes last time out, with Kaylum Mitchell replacing the injured Louis Danquah.

Lining up for Belper was ex-Miller Jake Carlisle and keeping a watchful eye on Nailers goalkeeper Joe Searson-Smithard was former Carlton keeper Allesandro Barcherini, now a coach at Searson-Smithard’s parent club Notts County.

The Millers began well and opened the scoring on 13 minutes with a well-worked goal.  Lucas sprayed the ball across field to Wilson who dropped his shoulder, nipped to the bye-line and whipped the ball across the face of the goal to Akaunu who prodded home at the back post.  It was all the more delightful as the same pair had only just failed with the same move in the Cleethorpes game.

Belper responded and drew level six minutes later.  Carlton were on the attack when Danny Elliott seemed to be pushed.  The referee waved play on and the Nailers advanced quickly before Lucas brought the attack to a shuddering halt with a foul on the edge of the Carlton penalty area, earning himself a yellow card in the process.

Jack Hallahan stepped up and fired past Jack Steggles.

The goal gave life to the visitors and they were generally the better team for the remainder of the half.

Hallahan blazed over from another good break and Dylan Garnett fired inches over the bar after Belper picked up a loose ball in midfield.

The Carlton bench was becoming increasingly agitated and the referee had to warn them about their behaviour.  Dudley took no notice and was sent off on 40 minutes for something he said to the referee.

The Nailers went desperately close to taking the lead as half time approached.  A corner from the right was met by a firm Garnett header which crashed against the crossbar and was cleared.

Carlton were grateful for the interval and began the second half well, with Hutchinson regaining the lead on 50 minutes.  A throw-in saw Niall Davie feed the ex-Basford man and there appeared little on as he held the ball on the far left of the penalty area about 12 yards from the goal line.  He just looked up and fired a delicious curling effort around the packed defence and into the corner of the net.

The goal seemed to settle the Millers and deflate the Nailers in equal measure.  Although Belper battled hard, they were unable to fashion any clear chances.

At the other end a Wilson shot was deflected away after a lovely pass by Hutchinson.

Belper were offered some hope when Lucas was sent off on 81 minutes for a second yellow card.  The sending off seemed to inspire Carlton who wrapped up the win with two goals in the last three minutes.

Akaunu crossed from the right to Wilson, who side-stepped neatly and fired home low with his left foot.

Then, with Belper pushing everyone forward for a late corner, Hutchinson fed the ball to Akaunu who outpaced Joe Hunt before calmly firing home past the exposed Searson-Smithard.

 

 

Passengers on bus to Carlton might have vital information for police investigating serious assault in Notts

0

Passengers on a bus bound for Carlton may have information that could help police with their investigations after a teenager was put into an ‘induced coma’following a serious assault in the city centre.

The 18-year-old woman was reportedly punched several times outside the Victoria Centre in Parliament Street on Tuesday, February 20 at around 8pm.

Following the assault she then got onto the number 27 bus to Carlton but was followed onto the bus by the same group of women who were threatening and abusive towards her before they got off.

The victim was taken to the Queen’s Medical Centre where she remains in an induced coma.

Detective Sergeant Kayne Rukas, of Nottinghamshire Police, said: “We know there were a lot of people walking in the street and standing at the bus stop at the time of the assault who may have information that could help us with our investigation.

“There were also a lot of people on the bus who may be able to help us with our inquiries.

“The victim is now very unwell and in a serious condition in hospital. We’re urging anyone with any information about the assaults to please get in touch with us.”

Anyone with any information is asked to call Nottinghamshire Police on 101, quoting incident number 325 of 21 February 2018, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Social night to promote campaign to save former train station in Gedling

1

Rail enthusiasts and local history fans are being invited to a social event being held to celebrate the heritage of a former railway station in Gedling.

Friend of Gedling Station have organised the Save the Station Social Evening as part of their campaign to have the building restored to its former glory and celebrate its history.

The event – which is free – takes place this Friday (March 2) and there’s plenty of food and entertainment on offer for those wanting to attend.

98-year-old former railway worker Len Hale is to be guest of honour at the event and will be on hand to share stories about his time working the ‘Back Line’ back in the day.

Music will be provided by local folk singer Marc Block and there will also be quizzes, raffles and displays of photographs from local rail enthusiasts.

The event will take place at Gedling Memorial Hall between 7pm-10pm and is being kindly sponsored by Flipside Brewery and Gedling Co-op.

The social evening is part of a campaign to have the former railway building in Gedling Village restored and used as a community hub. The station opened in 1874 as part of the Great Northern Railway line and remained in operation for almost 90 years before closing in 1960. The building then housed a youth club which folded several years ago. The building has remained empty ever since.

You can find out more about event and also the work of the Friends of Gedling Station at their website: http://www.gedlingstation.com