Home Blog Page 841

Police appeal after man ‘slashed with knife’ in Arnold

0

Police are appealing for information after a 17-year-old boy was taken to Queen’s Medical Centre after being slashed with a knife in Hawthorn Crescent in Arnold.

Officers was called at 2.10pm on Saturday (May 26, 2018).

His injuries aren’t believed to be life changing.

A spokesman for Nottinghamshire Police said: “Officers are currently investigating and are appealing for witnesses. Were you in the area at the time? Did you see two men involved in an altercation on Hawthorn Crescent?

“Officers are appealing for information regarding a black male, stocky built, 6ft tall, wearing a grey cotton tracksuit, black trainers and a red bandana.”

If you have any information please call 101 and quote incident 492.

Gedling MP Vernon Coaker and Gedling Borough Council issue joint statement following Redhill assault

0

Gedling MP, Vernon Coaker, Gedling Borough Council leader Cllr John Clarke and deputy leader, Cllr Michael Payne have today issued a joint statement calling for action following an assault in Redhill earlier this morning.

The statement read: “In the early hours of this morning there was an incident where a young person was seriously assaulted in Redhill, Arnold. We are calling on anyone who has information relating to this incident to urgently contact Nottinghamshire Police.

“In recent weeks and months we have raised concerns both locally and nationally about policing and police resources. Only two days ago Vernon Coaker MP spoke in Parliament on the issue of serious violence and policing response.

They added: “We have called for an urgent meeting with the Chief Constable and local Inspector of Nottinghamshire Police to discuss the ongoing and serious concerns from the public regarding problems with crime and anti-social behaviour in our local communities.”

The statement also said that an urgent meeting with Nottinghamshire Police would now be held following the problems in Arnold and surrounding areas.

It said: “We are seeking reassurances and action from the police, including a greater police presence in our local community. In spite of Nottinghamshire Police’s recent repeated use of dispersal orders in Arnold town centre, there are ongoing problems with crime, anti-social behaviour and a general fear of crime is increasing.

“We must see an increased police presence in our local community, firmer action taken by the police to stop incidents like this from happening again and a zero tolerance approach to crime and anti-social behaviour. We are ready to assist the police in any way possible.”

Two arrested after reports of stabbing outside pub in Redhill

Two people have been arrested after a stabbing outside a pub in Redhill in the early hours of this morning

Police say they were called to a report of a stabbing in Mansfield Road, Redhill, at 2am today (Friday 25 May 2018).

A 17-year-old boy was taken to hospital with serious injuries. His condition is currently stable.

A 24-year-old man and a 17-year-old boy have been arrested on suspicion of affray and remain in police custody.

Detective Inspector Martin Putnar said: “I’m aware that residents may be concerned following this incident. However, I would like to reassure them that this is an isolated incident and there is no wider risk to the general public.

“You may see an increased number of officers in the area over the next few days but this is nothing to be alarmed about.

“We continue to treat knife crime extremely seriously and, alongside the introduction of our dedicated Knife Crime Team, we are working closely with partners and the local community to tackle this issue, which has seen an increase nationally in recent months.

“We’ve also introduced schools and early intervention officers to help prevent knife crime by educating young people about the consequences of knife crime and helping them to make better choices.”

New petition launched calls on Gedling Borough Council to ‘take recycling seriously’

Green campaigners have today launched a petition which calls on Gedling Borough Council to ‘take recycling seriously’.

The campaigners say they want Gedling Borough Council to ‘take recycling seriously, bring back the ‘bring’ recycling sites and to devise and implement a comprehensive, meaningful recycling policy with measurable targets and to publish an annual recycling progress report.’

The petition has been launched by local conservationist, Mark Glover who says the council should be doing more to boost recycling in the area.

He said: “When it comes to recycling, Gedling Borough Council rates a poor 260th out of 350 English local authorities.

“Gedling recycles only 36.7% of its domestic waste compared to the national average of 45.2%.

“Gedling’s announcement that it intends to be a ‘Plastic Clever Council’ is welcome bu, on its own, is not enough and has to be seen in the context of its recent closure of six local ‘bring’ recycling sites and the earlier cancellation of its commercial recycling collection service.”

These figures have been hotly disputed today by Gedling Borough Council.

A spokesman for Gedling Borough Council said: “This is factually incorrect and misleading. Gedling recycles 39% not 36% of its waste and while this is below the national average, it is not the result of a lack of commitment but primarily because of the waste disposal arrangements, which are not under Gedling’s control. In other parts of the county, for example, just down the road in Nottingham City, residents can put all their dry recyclables in one container. That is not the case in Gedling, not because the council doesn’t want to but because of the waste disposal arrangements that Gedling has to comply with.

They added: “With regard to the local “bring sites”, they had become a magnet for fly tipping and for businesses to dispose of their commercial waste. They were repeatedly vandalised and given that they only contributed 1% towards our recycling rate, it was appropriate to remove them.

“Contrary to the suggestion in the enquiry, we are committed to increasing the recycling of household and trade waste and are keen to work with residents and businesses to do this.”

Earlier this week at the council’s cabinet meeting, Cllr Michael Payne called for a report on recycling rates in the borough. The report is expected to be presented at the next cabinet meeting.

The council also offer free monthly kerbside collection for glass and fortnightly collections for recycling and also offer additional recycling to residents who request them. The council also offer a free bulky waste collection each year.

The recycling petition is available to sign online at: https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/get-serious-about-recycling

For more information about the petition, contact Mark at markglover2010@gmail.com

Witness appeal after taxi assault in Gunthorpe

Police investigating an assault in a taxi in Gunthorpe are appealing for a passing motorist to come forward.

The incident happened on Lowdham Road, around 11pm on Saturday, May 12.

A fight started inside a taxi before it pulled up.

The assault then continued on the roadside. A man sustained a significant facial injury which required hospital treatment.

A spokesman for Nottinghamshire Police said: “We’re are appealing for a passing motorist who stopped and attempted to help, along with any other witnesses, but left before officers arrived. Were you the man who stopped to assist the victim?

If you saw anything or have any other information, please call police on 101 quoting incident number 988 of 12 May, or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Plenty more fish in the rivers

0

A fish farm in Calverton is continuing to break records for producing healthy fish for re-stocking.

The Environment Agency’s National Coarse Fish Farm plays a vital role in the work of the Environment Agency and its partners to restore, improve and develop sustainable fisheries in England.

In 2017 the fish farm produced 9 tonnes of strong healthy fish, an increase from the 6 tonnes produced in 2016.

Over the 12 months the farm bred more than 350,000 fish, with the average size and quality of each fish increasing on previous years.

In 2017, Calverton Fish Farm also stocked out over 6,000,000 advanced reared larvae back into the wild. Some of these larvae were introduced into waters where natural reproduction has previously been poor. They help to give the resident fish populations a boost to become self-sustainable in the future.

The main reasons for stocking Calverton-bred fish and larvae are: replacing stocks lost to pollution or following habitat or water quality improvements; improving stocks where natural reproduction is low; and helping to create fisheries in areas where there is a shortage of angling opportunities.

Kevin Austin, Environment Agency Deputy Director Agriculture, Fisheries and the Natural Environment said: “The work of Calverton fish farm is funded by income from fishing licence fees so it’s great to see it continuing its work producing the healthy fish needed for recovery and re-stocking.”

Alan Henshaw, Calverton Fish Farm team leader said: “We’ve achieved increases in weight by improving the growing conditions for the fish and by mixing the species up more to find groups that grow well together. Having a highly dedicated and professional team that are producing fish of such high quality is also key to the success of Calverton.

“Our annual production of fish by overall weight has more than doubled since 2013. This is a huge increase and a great achievement on the part of the team. Production of these bigger, stronger, fitter, disease-free fish means that they are better able to cope with life in the wild when we release them.”

When they reached 18 months old, the 358,552 fish produced in 2017 were restocked into rivers, lakes and ponds as part of re-stocking programmes across England.

The fish breeding process is complex and involves the team at Calverton removing the sperm and eggs by hand from the fish. The eggs are laid out in specialist trays and placed inside troughs, where they receive a fresh, temperature controlled water supply. The eggs are incubated for between three and 30 days depending on species and when the eggs have hatched, the larvae are fed with tiny shrimp.

Camera crackdown on dangerous parking outside Gedling borough schools

1

A council has today unveiled its latest deterrent to prevent dangerous and inconsiderate parking outside schools in the borough.

Nottingham County Council’s second CCTV road safety car will officially take to the road today (Tuesday 22)

The car has been put into action to help prevent dangerous and inconsiderate parking outside borough schools which the council says can seriously jeopardise road safety for children and is also a significant source of complaints and requests for parking enforcement.

Councillors agreed to the new car following the high demand for the current vehicle – which has been helping enforce ‘keep clear’ markings outside schools since March 2016

Latest figures show that 1500 penalty charge notices (PCNs) have been issued to motorists since March 2016 , with two-thirds of these (around 1000) PCNs for dangerously and inconsiderately on ‘keep clear’ markings outside schools and a third (500) on bus stops.

Parking which prevents a bus from picking or dropping off at a bus stop can cause congestion behind the bus if it is unable to move. In addition, it prevents passengers with mobility problems or pushchairs getting on or off the bus at the raised kerb edge.

Councillor John Cottee, Chairman of Communities and Place committee said: “This new vehicle is part of our commitment to road safety around schools in the county and will help to address this genuine problems of dangerous or inconsiderate parking in many areas around school drop off and pick up times.

“We are keen to be able to meet the high demand we have had from schools, parents and others in local communities who have got in touch requesting this car to visit their area to help address these issues – so this new vehicle is essential for this as we have more than 330 schools spread across the county

“Today we are also releasing as series of video clips showing examples of the sort of dangerous and inconsiderate parking captured by the current CCTV vehicle in the last few weeks”

Cllr Cottee added: “I must make clear that our purpose in using a car-based enforcement system is not to raise revenue, in fact the existing CCTV car runs at a slight financial deficit for the Council. Our aim is to improve safety and stop dangerous and inconsiderate parking near schools and bus stops, which we know causes a great deal of concern.”

The new vehicle cost £45,000 including the camera and software costs as well as maintenance costs for the first year.

All money generated by the penalty charge notices (PCN) go directly towards paying for the car and ongoing running costs of the equipment, driver and software support. A PCN issued is £70 which is reduced to £35 if paid within 14 days.

Colwick firm scoop prestigious prize for recycling efforts

0

A company based in Colwick has received national recognition for its recycling efforts.

Wastecycle, which has its headquarters in Colwick Industrial Estate, won the Waste Transfer and Skip Hire Business of the Year in LetsRecycle.com’s 2018 Excellence in Recycling and Waste Management Awards.

The company, which celebrated its 20th birthday last month, transfers over 500,000 tonnes of commercial waste each year and hires out over 50,000 skips each year.

With over 97% of the waste it handles being recycled, Wastecycle is one of the country’s leading recycling and waste management companies, employing over 320 people at four sites, one in Nottingham and three in Leicester.

Wastecycle_award
DELIGHTED: Countdown host Rachel Riley; Paul Clements of Wastecycle; John Connor of sponsor Turmec; and Steve Eminton Let’s Recycle Editor

The award was presented to Wastecycle’s Commercial Director Paul Clements, at a celebratory lunch at the Landmark Hotel, London.

“I know it’s a cliché, but we are delighted to have won the LetsRecycle.com award for Waste Transfer and Skip Hire Business of the Year.

“Everyone at Wastecycle works incredibly hard to do the best job we can for our customers and to ensure we provide a high-quality service,” said Paul. “Helping people reduce their waste, reuse it where possible and recycle as much of it as we can is a real passion for Wastecycle, and it’s fantastic when your efforts are recognised.”

Now in their 14th year, the Awards, which are organised by industry website, letsrecycle.com reward innovation, dedication and success within the waste and recycling industry.

As well as the 2018 Excellence in Recycling and Waste Management Awards, Wastecycle is also a finalist at the prestigious National Recycling Awards in two categories – Health and Safety Initiative and Recycling Facility of the Year. Wastecycle will find out if they have won the top prize in either of these categories in June.

For more information about Wastecycle, please visit www.wastecycle.co.uk

Police launch appeal after JCB stolen from Calverton

0

Police are appealing for information after a JCB was stolen in Calverton last week.

The vehicle was stolen from a timber yard on Mansfield Lane between 17:45 and 18:20 hours on May 11, 2018

In the process damage has been caused to another vehicle on the property and the metal gates.

A spokesman for Nottinghamshire Police said: “It is believed that the JCB has possible been driven onto a type of low loader vehicle to ensure a quick getaway.

He added: “It is believed the offenders were wearing orange work style trousers.”

Were you in the area at the time and saw the JCB? Did you see a low loader style vehicle parked on or around Mansfield Lane?

If you have any information regarding this incident please call the control room on 101 quoting incident number 766-11052018. Alternatively you can report information anonymously via the Crimestoppers website.

Three roads to close in borough for Royal wedding street parties

There’s a right Royal party happening this weekend in parts of the borough.

Three streets have requested to close on Saturday to allow people to celebrate the marriage of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle at Windsor Castle in style.

Nottinghamshire County Council are supporting the events by waiving normal road closure fees for the occasion.

They’ll also be providing organisers with traffic signs for use on the day of the celebrations. Highways staff will deliver signs to a pre-arranged address and collect them afterwards.

Councillor Kay Cutts, Leader of Nottinghamshire County Council, said:  “I am delighted that we have been able to play our part in making it easier for communities to hold street parties by waiving the usual fees.”

Street closures on Saturday:

• Grange Road – Woodthorpe
• Barden Road – Woodthorpe
• St Helens Grove – Burton Joyce