Home Blog Page 835

Man from Arnold charged with drug and assault offences

0

A man from Arnold has been charged with a number of drug and assault offences after police were called to reports of an assault in Arnold on Sunday (June 24).

It happened in Ravenswood Road at around 9pm. Officers found a small cannabis grow at the scene.

Steven Elvidge, 44, of Ravenswood Road in Arnold, was arrested at the scene and has subsequently been charged with wounding with intent, threats to kill, criminal damage, assault by beating, possession of a knife, production of cannabis and possession with intent to supply cannabis.

He’s been remanded in custody to appear at Nottingham Crown Court on 24 July.

Arnold man arrested in connection with drug and assault offences

0

A man from Arnold has been arrested on suspicion of a number of drug and assault offences.

Officers from Nottinghamshire Police were called to reports of an assault in Ravenswood Road at around 9pm yesterday (Sunday, June 24).

While at the scene, officers found a small cannabis grow.

A 44-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of possession of class b drugs, production of cannabis, grievous bodily harm and common assault.

The man was further arrested for criminal damage and threats to kill while in custody where he remains.

Robinson’s Butchers in Netherfield to close after more than 54 years in the town

15

A butcher’s shop that has been trading in Netherfield since the 1960s will close its doors for the final time at the end of the month.

Robinson’s Butchers has been selling meat to people in the town since 1964.

Robinsons_Butchers_Netherfield

A sign has now appeared on the shop front explaining the reasons for the butchers closing, with the last day being Saturday, June 30.

The owner of the butcher shop, Mick Robinson, has said that supermarket prices were to blame for having to take the decision to close the business.

NOTICE: Sign gives reasons for traditional butcher shop in Victoria road closing

On the notice in the window to customers, he wrote: ” We have been beaten at last by the mighty supermarket chains, which unfortunately the majority of our former customers now prefer to use”

“Every one of us [working at the shop] are master butchers, which you don’t find anymore, but we find ourselves not wanted in the modern world.

“We now are within a mile of four or five of the supermarket giants.”

Despite the closure of the butcher side of the business, the popular takeaway food outlet based at the site will continue to trade.

The statement continued: “Karl, my son, will carry on the name in Netherfield with his takeaway foods and will be expanding the range on offer. Karl will also be growing his outside catering business which includes his mouthwatering hog roasts, which he is excellent at.”

  • What are your thoughts about the closure of Robinson’s butchers? Let us know in the comments section below or via our Facebook page

Warning from firefighters after shed blaze in Mapperley Park

A safety warning has been issued to people in Gedling borough this summer as the barbecue and garden bonfire season sparks into life

Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue service want those planning a barbecue or bonfire to think before they act, because the recipe for summer isn’t sun or sand – it’s safety.

Last month, firefighters from London Road attended a fire in the garden of a property in Mapperley Park, where a shed was well alight.

This fire was the result of a bonfire being lit too close to the shed, and crews used one hose reel to put the fire out.

Crew Manager Mark Woolnough from Red Watch at London Road Fire Station, said: “This fire could have been a lot worse, as it had already started to damage parts of the house, but luckily nobody was injured.

“Unfortunately, because of the positioning of the bonfire and its spread, the shed was severely damaged, and this acts as an important reminder to think about where you are lighting a barbeque or bonfire, and we would always advise to make sure that this is well away from property, trees, and outbuildings.

“It’s also important to never leave a bonfire or barbeque unattended, as when attention stops, fire starts.”

To make sure you have a safe summer, here are some of our top garden fire safety tips:

  • Never use petrol or paraffin to light a bonfire.
  • Keep a bucket of water close by in case of an emergency.
  • Keep pets and children away from bonfires and barbeques.
  • Always light bonfires and place barbeques a safe distance from property, outbuildings, trees and hedges.
  • Never leave barbeques or bonfires unattended and check they are fully extinguished before going inside.

Police appeal after fight in Netherfield

0

Police are appealing for witnesses after reports of a fight involving a group of people in Netherfield.

Officers said they were called to Victoria Road at around 1.35am on Saturday (June 23).

Two men suffered facial injuries after being punched and kicked and were taken to the Queen’s Medical Centre.

If you saw the incident or have any information that could help, please call police on 101 quoting incident 82 of 23 June.

You can also call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

CCTV images released of people police want to speak to after burglary in Mapperley

0

Police have issued CCTV images of three people they want to speak to following a burglary in Mapperley.

It was reported that two men and a woman tried to break into a flat in Westdale Lane West using a sledgehammer before leaving the scene.

The incident happened at about 7.40am on May 4, 2018.

If you recognise them or think you can help, please call Nottinghamshire Police on 101 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111, quoting incident number 131 of 4 May 2018.

 

New war memorial for Carlton’s fallen heroes unveiled

1

A man from Gedling today saw his fundraising efforts finally pay off as a new war memorial he raised over £19,000 to help pay for was unveiled in the town’s cemetery.

The new memorial honouring the lives of fallen service men and women was unveiled this morning (June 23) at Carlton cemetery

The memorial was created thanks to the campaigning of local resident Paul Gunter, whose nephew was killed whilst on duty in Afghanistan. When Paul realised there was no appropriate war memorial for his nephew’s name to be etched on, he began fundraising to have one installed at Carlton cemetery.

Paul has raised over £19,000 for the memorial which included a £10,000 contribution from The National Lottery Fund. The council has provided the land and will cover any future costs and maintenance.

Councillor Alex Scroggie, ward member for Carlton Hill, has also assisted Mr Gunter with the installation and logistics for the unveiling event.

TOUCHING: A minute’s silence was held after the memorial was unveiled (Picture: Gedling Eye)
Dignitaries and Paul Gunter, right, pay tribute to those killed in conflict (PICTURE: Gedling Eye)
MOVING: Paul Gunter lays a wreath at the memorial which features the name of his nephew Lance Corporal Martin Gill (PICTURE: Gedling Eye)
TRIBUTE: A large crowd gathered and respected the minute’s silence (PICTURE: Gedling Eye)

A special ceremony was held this morning at the cemetery and will mark the seventh anniversary of the death of Paul’s nephew, Lance Corporal Martin J Gill who died on June 5,2011.

His name alongside 170 others is etched on the graphite stone.

The Mayor of Gedling, Cllr Barbara Miller, was in attendance at the unveiling and a march on the day by a local cadet group also took place before the ceremony started.

There was also a one minute silence and the playing of the Last Post on the bugle.

Leader of Gedling Borough Council, Councillor John Clarke said: “I’d like to thank Paul and Cllr Alex Scroggie for their work to get this memorial in Carlton.

“It’s very important we remember the men and women who lost their lives fighting for our country. This memorial will be a fitting tribute to them all and especially to Paul’s nephew, Lance Corporal Martin J Gill and it will ensure will never forget what they did for us.”

Gedling Borough Council to sign ‘collaboration agreement’ with Nottingham City Council

0

Gedling is set to make its co-operation with Nottingham official by signing a ‘collaboration agreement’.

It comes after plans were outlined by Nottinghamshire County Council boss Kay Cutts to abolish all district and borough councils in the county.

On Thursday, leaders at Gedling Borough Council are expected to sign the collaboration agreement, which formalises closer working ties with Nottingham City Council.

However, the document makes it clear the increased co-operation is not a full merger between the two authorities and both councils will retain sovereignty over their areas, meaning each is ultimately free to make its own decisions.

John Clarke, who is the leader of Labour-run Gedling Borough Council, supports working more closely, but has said he will ‘resist any attempts to  take over our council’.

Councillor Clarke, who represents the Netherfield Ward for Labour, said: “We need to look at ways we can work together with our neighbouring councils as we deal with increasingly difficult budget pressures arising from ongoing cuts from central government.

“We’ve had similar agreements with Newark and Rushcliffe councils in the past, which were very productive and we are looking forward to the opportunities this collaboration may bring.

“It’s not an exclusive arrangement and it’s not about Gedling merging with Nottingham City or any other council. We will work with anyone if it will help us to provide the best possible services for the residents of Gedling.”

Gedling Borough Council already works with several other councils in the area on a broad range of issues, many of which are listed in the collaboration agreement.

These include delivering payroll services to Rushcliffe Borough Council and managing Bestwood Country Park for Nottinghamshire County Council.

It also works with the city council on issues such as Nottingham managing Cafe 1899 at Gedling Country Park, and the city ‘delivering’ Arnold Carnival.

If the agreement is passed, at a meeting of the Cabinet on Thursday (June 28) it will be subject to a reciprocal agreement being passed by the city council.

It says the decision has been taken in part due to the pressures on local government finances, and the savings that can be made by sharing services.

However, the document makes clear that it is not a full-scale political merger.

It says: “It is important to emphasise that both councils will retain decision making sovereignty over the policies, services and finances for their areas.”

Schools in Gedling borough offered chance to vie for £1,000 breakfast club boost

0

Schools in Gedling borough could win £1,000 for their pre-school breakfast clubs.

The borough’s schools have been invited to enter the annual Kellogg’s Breakfast Club Awards, with winners invited to attend an awards ceremony in the Houses of Parliament.

The awards are being held to celebrate the 20th anniversary of Kellogg’s supporting breakfast clubs in the UK.

A specialist panel of judges will hand-pick the entries and the winners will be announced on Monday, October 29, 2018.

Kellogg’s managing director, Oli Morton, said: “Kellogg’s Breakfast Club Awards celebrate the fantastic people who make these clubs happen every day in schools up and down the country.

Kelloggs_breakfast_club

“Brilliant progress has been made since the 1990s to increase the number of schools offering pupils a safe and fun environment that provides a nutritious breakfast.”

He added: “We will continue to support breakfast clubs because we believe that every child deserves the best start to the day.”

Over the last 20 years Kellogg’s has supported breakfast clubs, offering funding, food and training to more than 3,000 clubs across the UK.

To find out more and to submit a Breakfast Club Awards entry, visit: www.KelloggsBreakfastClubAwards.co.uk

Entries close on Friday, September 28

Arnold home care company in top 20 care providers in the region

An Arnold-based home care company has been named one of the top 20 most recommended care providers in the region.

Respectful Care Nottingham North, which specialises in providing at-home care to the elderly and vulnerable, scooped the accolade at the recent Home Care Provider Awards 2018.

Karl Overton and his team at Respectful Care Nottingham North were named as being in the top 20 Home Care Providers in the East Midlands for 2018.

For Karl and his team it is particularly special as it is based on reviews from people they care for.

The independent homecare.co.uk website is the leading home care website, featuring reviews, products and services, jobs and news about the UK care sector.

Its annual awards highlight the most recommended home care providers in each region of the UK, with the awards based on a review score given by clients.

Respectful_Care_Arnold
SUCCESS: Karl Overton and his team at Respectful Care Nottingham North

It’s a particularly proud moment for Karl, who only launched the Arnold-based Respectful Care Nottingham North office, part of the Respectful Care group,  just three years ago.

He said: “As a homecare provider who works tirelessly to provide high quality, person-centred care to our wonderful clients, we are absolutely delighted to know that all our hard work and commitment over the past year has been acknowledged by this prestigious award.

“To be one of only 20 companies in the whole of the East Midlands region to win this award recognises the commitment by all our outstanding staff to set high standards and make sure we constantly achieve them.

“A huge thank you from all of us at Respectful Care Nottingham North has to go out to our amazing clients and their loved ones who, by providing honest and independent reviews about the service we provide, have made our dreams of winning this award a reality! We are so happy. Thank you.”

Scott Marsh, who co-founded the Respectful Care, which has branches in Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire and South Yorkshire, added: “Karl and his team are dedication personified. Caring for people is a privilege and we expect high levels of service from our carers. To get an award based on reviews is spectacular and makes the whole Respectful Care group proud.”

Respectful Care offers services that are tailored to meet exact requirements and preferences, whether it is a simple 30 minute daily domestic call, or a more complex package of intensive care.

Trained and qualified Care Workers support people in their daily routine and enable them to live their lives the way they want it.

For more about Respectful Care, visit www.respectfulcare.co.uk