Home Blog Page 802

Watch out for these roadworks across Gedling borough this week

Drivers are being warned to expect traffic and travel delays due to roadworks across Gedling Borough during the week.

This list contains only the roadworks considered to be most likely to cause delays on key routes as well as those involving road closures and temporary traffic lights.

It is not exhaustive and does not feature some minor or emergency repairs that come up after publication. Other roadworks may finish or start before schedule or be cancelled altogether.

All information from Highways England, local authorities and utility companies.

Carlton

B686 Carlton Hill

November 15

Delays likely Traffic control (multi-way signals)

Works description: Access required to overhead Openreach structure to provide service – No structural changes. Work being carried out on existing Openreach Plant.

Gedling Road

November 21— 26

Delays possible due to some carriageway incursion

Works description: 1 joint hole in tarmac footway and 2m trenching in tarmac footway for new supply

Mapperley

Kent Road

November 13 — 15

Delays possible due to traffic control (give & take)

Works description: Long Comm Pipe Repair 25mm Job in Footway (6mm Bitmac (Tarmac) )

Woodthorpe

Shortcross Avenue

November 19— 22 November

Delays likely for road closure

Works description: Long 6.6-12m Full Ex 25mm MDPE new water connection to excavate 10.5m to connect new plots water supply to mains located in carriageway Job in Carriageway (10mm Bitmac (Tarmac)

Sunday rail services to Netherfield and Carlton will be disrupted due to engineering works

0

Rail services at Netherfield and Carlton stations are to be disrupted over the next two weekends due to engineering works.

There will be no trains at Netherfield on Sunday, November 18 and also 25 while the work takes place.

The 08.32 Liverpool train won’t be running from Netherfield on Saturdays 17 & 24 (diverted via Melton) and no replacement buses at Netherfield, only for the other stations on the line.  This train could also probably be affected in the coming weeks.

Buses will replace trains at Carlton on Sunday, November 18 until 14.00. Replacement buses go from the bus stops in Netherfield about an hour earlier to Newark Northgate and passengers can take a train from there to Lincoln.

First trains 14.41 to Lincoln and 15.17 to Nottingham.

A normal Sunday service will resume on November 25.

IOPC report says police ‘did all they could’ to try and save life of man arrested in Carlton

An investigation into police contact with a man who died following his arrest in Carlton, found that officers acted appropriately and did all they could to save him.

The investigation was carried out by the Independent Office of Police Conduct (IOPC).

Cain Hargreaves, 21, was arrested at home in Carlton on suspicion of drink driving on January 5, 2018. His car had been involved in a collision.

Mr Hargreaves suffered a seizure in the back of a police car as officers began to drive him to the Bridewell custody suite.

ACC Kate Meynell said: “I would like to send our condolences to Mr Hargreaves’ family and friends, following this tragic incident.



“The officers who dealt with Cain Hargreaves after he was arrested in January did everything they could in an attempt to save his life after he became unwell.

“The IOPC’s investigation confirmed that Mr Hargreaves wasn’t showing any signs of injury before the officers decided to take him into custody, and once they were aware that he had taken ill, first aid and CPR was carried out at the roadside. I am immensely proud of the officers involved; they did everything they could to try and save his life. Sadly, despite their efforts, he was pronounced dead a short time later.

“I have no doubt that since that day; these officers will have questioned whether they could have done more, replaying the situation in their minds again and again. I hope that today’s findings of this IOPC report gives them some reassurance that they acted appropriately and did all that they could.”

An inquest which finished on Friday (November 9) recorded a narrative conclusion which found that the death was drug related, contributed to by a developmental brain abnormality.

Chair of Nottinghamshire’s Police Federation Dave Keen, said: “Having attended on the night and spoken with the officers both at the time and subsequently afterwards, I have to say their conduct and behaviour were nothing but extremely professional throughout.”

IOPC Regional Director Derrick Campbell said: “This is a tragic case where a young man who appeared fit and healthy died after becoming unwell shortly after his arrest. We found nothing to suggest that anything the police did contributed to his death.

“The information gathered by our investigator indicated that police acted appropriately and in accordance with policy throughout the incident. There was also clear evidence that when Cain became ill the officers did everything they could to try to help him and save his life, in what was a traumatic situation.”

New club serving up fun for badminton fans in Arnold and Carlton

0

A new badminton club is proving to be a hit with people in Gedling borough after attracting over 40 members in just eight months.

The Handy Badminton Club holds sessions at Carlton Forum and Redhill Leisure Centre in Arnold every week.

The club are one of the only ones in the area to take on beginners with the aim of coaching them so they can compete in the county leagues.

They entered four teams into the Notts League and currently sit top of the league after four wins in four.

James Hand runs the club and says it is open to everyone.

He said: “Our club started out in March with just six people turning up to a beginner’s session. Eight months later and this has turned into a Badminton England affiliated club with a 30-40 players attending regularly.

“We want to include anyone that wants to play badminton from the age of 16+ irrelevant of age, sex or ability. We are the only Club in Nottingham that is taking beginners with the aim of improving them to be able to play in the Notts Leagues in the future.

The club hold a badminton night between 6-10pm every Tuesday at Carlton Forum and a beginner session between 6-8pm on Friday nights.

For more info visit the club’s website: www.handybc.co.uk or https://www.facebook.com/handybc1

Police save man’s life after finding him collapsed in Ravenshead

Two members of Nottinghamhsire Police have saved the life of a man after finding him collapsed in Ravenshead

The officers from Professional Standards Department were in the village on Wednesday morning when they saw a man collapsed in Sheepwalk Lane.

They noticed that the man was not breathing so commenced CPR. Two off-duty Derbyshire officers were also there and called an ambulance.



They gathered blankets from their cars and continued to work on the man until a paramedic arrived shortly afterwards.

Miraculously, the man survived and is recovering in hospital.

Detective Inspector David Bola said: “We wish the man a full recovery and would like to commend Sergeant Abigail Goucher and Complaint Support Officer Emma Kent for their actions as well as our Derbyshire colleagues. The group undoubtedly played a part in saving this man’s life.”

Schoolchildren pay tribute to war dead of Netherfield and Colwick

0

Pupils from schools in Colwick and Netherfield paid an emotional tribute to those who lost their lives in the First World War at a ceremony earlier today.

Youngsters from Netherfield Primary School and also St John The Baptist Primary School in Colwick attended a ceremony earlier today where they laid down crosses marked with the name of the fallen from their villages and towns during World War I.

(PICTURE: Gedling Eye)



REMEMBERING THEM: Mayor of Gedling Barbara Miller addresses the crowd (PICTURE: Gedling Eye)

One of the pupils researching the event discovered that a soldier had lived in his house over a century ago.

There was also a short service to remember those that had died and also a reading by Mayor of Gedling Barbara Miller.

Residents in Gedling borough warned to avoid roofing conmen

Rogue traders are operating door to door in the Gedling borough area offering roofing work, warns Nottinghamshire County Council Trading Standards. 

The team say they’ve had reports of two men going door to door advising people of issues with their roofs and offering to fix them. When they are on the roof, they find other problems and the costs escalate.

Trading Standards never recommend employing a trader based on a cold call.




A spokesman for the team said: “If you are considering having work carried out on your property or garden make sure that you get three quotes from reputable traders. To find local traders who have been approved by Nottinghamshire County Council Trading Standards

You can find approved traders at www.checkatrade.com

Winter fair being held in Gedling village to raise cash for cancer charity

0

A cancer charity are hoping to raise essential funds by holding a winter fair in Gedling Village next week.

The fair, which is being held to raise cash for the Marie Curie charity, takes place on Saturday, November 17 at Phoenix Farm Methodist Church in the village between 11am and 1pm.

The fundraising group behind the event are hoping to raise over £500 on the day.

The money from the event will help support the work of Marie Curie’s services locally. This includes their Volunteer Helper Service, Information Support Line and research projects at the University of Nottingham. All of which aim to improve the lives of those facing end of life care in Gedling, Arnold, Mapperley and its surrounding areas.



Community fundraiser for Nottinghamshire Rebecca Davies said; “Local services like the Marie Curie Helpers are so important to families facing terminal illness in Nottinghamshire. Our Helper Service offers regular support at home by a fully trained volunteer.

“Someone to have a chat with over a cup of tea, help you get to an appointment or run an errand, or just be there to listen when you need a friendly ear. Our Helper volunteers can be there for you for exactly these things.

“Our Arnold and Mapperley Fundraising Group are an amazing assortment of local people with an incredible drive to support the work of Marie Curie.”

Plan for local ‘super council’ consultation in Gedling borough approved

Gedling Borough Council has approved plans to hold a local consultation giving people and businesses in the area the chance to decide whether they want to see their local authority scrapped in favour of a new county-wide council.

Following today’s decision (8), surveys will be sent to every home and business in the borough.

It will carry just one question – “Do you want Gedling Borough Council to be abolished and replaced with a larger council that is responsible for your local services and makes decisions for the whole county area?”

However a Conservative Gedling councillor has said the statements published around the question are designed to influence the result.

It is in response to the Conservative-led Nottinghamshire County Council’s plan to scrap all district and borough councils and create one or two new councils to cover the whole county, apart from the city.

The first, informal stage of the county’s consultation has recently finished, and the leader of the county council today thanked the almost 3,000 people who responded.



The county’s consultation looked at the options for change, but Gedling Borough Council felt it didn’t give people the chance to say they wanted the status quo to remain.

The Labour leaders of Gedling Borough Council are opposed to the ‘super council’ plan.

The Gedling consultation is expected to cost £20,000 and hard copies will be sent out to around 53,000 households and 5,000 business within the next few weeks.

The deputy leader of Gedling Borough Council, Councillor Michael Payne, said: “People in Gedling borough deserve to be asked a straightforward question which is ‘do they want to see their borough council scrapped.’

“That question wasn’t asked, disappointingly, by the county council in its first consultation.

“That question needs to be asked. My own residents in my ward gave up on the county’s informal consultation because there was no opportunity for them to say that they wanted to stay with the status quo.

“At the end of the day, our services are paid for by our residents and our businesses, and they deserve to have a straightforward say on this issue.”

However the leader of the Gedling Conservative group, Cllr Chris Barnfather, spoke against the consultation at a Cabinet meeting today.

Councillor Barnfather, who represents the Newstead Abbey ward and is also a county councillor, has previously spoken in favour of a unitary authority, if the business case shows that it would improve services for the community.

He said: “It’s always very easy to spend other people’s money, and £20,000 is a lot of money.

“You have created here an alarmist document that’s intended to deliver an answer you want to receive.”

The consultation will be sent out to households in the coming weeks, and will also be available to answer online from next week at www.gedling.gov.uk/yourviewsmatter

Roads in Gedling borough set to benefit from council cash injection for repairs and resurfacing

A number of roads in the borough are to be repaired and resurfaced following a cash injection from Nottinghamshire County Council to improve transport infrastructure over the next 12 months. 

Around £4.25m of a three-year £20m cashpot set up by the county council in 2018 to invest in roads will be spent over the next year.

The council announced a number of improvement schemes will take place in the borough – much to the delight of local motorists.

It was announced resurfacing works will take place on the A60 Mansfield Road, Redhill, Arnold (in the area of the Redhill Road traffic lights); the C213 Papplewick Lane (on the section from the Ashfield Boundary to Moor Road); and the C166 Westdale Lane (as part of the longer-term maintenance plan for this road).



The council also pledged to make signing and lining improvements to the B684 Mapperley Plains and Coppice Rd, Arnold.

Carlton_Hill_Pothole
(PICTURE: Philip Parr)

Speed management measures will also be put in place at Sherbrook Road in Arnold.

The council also plan to spend money during 2019/20 on making improvemnts to journey times, with roads in the borough set to benefit.

In 2019/20 the second phase of the improvements at the A60 Nottingham Road/B6020 Kirkby Road/B6020 Main Road, junction in Ravenshead (the first phase is due to be completed this financial year); as well as at the A60 Mansfield Road/Sir John Robinson Way, junction in Daybrook which the council say will also help address local air quality issues.

Chairman for Communities and Place, at Nottinghamshire County Council, said: “We are looking forward to another busy and productive year within transport and highways.

“These plans demonstrate this administration’s commitment to investing and improving our 2,600 miles of highways and transport infrastructure.

“Delivering maintenance schemes, addressing journey time delays and road safety are the main issues that residents are telling us about – so these plans aim to help address these priorities.

“We continue to provide the best possible value for money in terms of our road repairs and resurfacing by making the ‘right repair at the right time’ to avoid larger repair bills in years to come, cut congestion and make our roads safer.”