Home Blog Page 800

Flood relief scheme to help protect Lambley and Lowdham

Work has begun on a new scheme to help reduce the threat of flooding in Lambley and Lowdham.

The Environment Agency has teamed up with Trent Rivers Trust and Nottinghamshire County Council on the £77,000 project which will help to reduce flood risk to over 170 properties in the two villages.

The project, which has benefitted from £75,000 of Government funding, is expected to be completed by October 2019. It is part of a national £15million National Flood Management (NFM )programme which will deliver flood risk reduction and environmental enhancements.

Working across 15 sites upstream of Lowdham, the measures involve constructing leaky wooden barriers to help reduce the amount of water that enters the Cocker Beck by slowing and storing water within the existing ditch network, to reduce the rate that flood water travels to the downstream communities.

The barriers will also help to trap sediment to improve the water quality downstream.

Environment Agency Area Flood and Coastal Risk Manager, Paul Lockhart, said: “We’re delighted to have secured a Natural Flood Management scheme with our partners, Trent Rivers Trust and Nottinghamshire County Council.

environment_agency

“This scheme will allow us to manage flood risk using innovative solutions that are sustainable and cost-effective and, as part of the project, we will be looking at how the measures are contributing to flood risk reduction.”



Nottinghamshire County Councillor John Cottee, Chairman of Communities and Place Committee, said: “We’ve been working hard to develop and promote schemes to protect properties from flooding in dozens of our towns and villages as we know flooding devastates lives.

“Natural Flood Management is now recognised as a more sustainable approach to reducing flood risk and it also delivers lots of other environmental benefits too. It’s great that we’re working in partnership with local land owners, Trent Rivers Trust and the Environment Agency, to deliver this scheme.”

Trent Rivers Trust project manager, Alan Graham, said: “The Trent Rivers Trust are excited to be working with local landowners to reduce flood risk downstream in Lambley and Lowdham.

“By working closely with landowners we have been able to design interventions which not only slow the flow and allow natural infiltration, but will improve water quality and increase valuable habitats without having an adverse effect on farm business.”

Carvery in Colwick now does takeaway roast dinners you can order online

Everyone loves a Sunday roast and we all love a takeaway too.

And now, the Toby Carvery restaurant in Colwick is combining the two by doing takeaway Sunday roasts.

The new Toby Takeaway service, which launched last week will allow people to order their roast dinner online – but you will have to go and pick it up when the order is ready.

The new menu offers Sunday roast fans the usual choice of four different meats and also either a Yorkshire pudding, roast potatoes or beef dripping potatoes and gravy or vegetarian gravy.

But when it comes to the veg, sadly you can’t pick your own.

PICTURED: The Toby Carvery in Colwick

Toby Carvery did say that you’ll be given four freshly steamed or roasted vegetables, which will differ depending on the season. Currently, you can get peas, carrots, sprouts and parsnips, for example.




You can also order from the Toby Tasters which include mini pigs in blankets, garlic bread or chilli cheese parcels.

A spokesman for Toby Carvery told Gedling Eye: “We’re very excited to have launched our new Toby takeaway option at Colwick. This will give roast lovers the opportunity to enjoy all the greatness of the Home of the Roast whilst on the go, or within the comfort of their own homes.”

The service is available seven days a week, with lamb only available on Sundays.

To order a Sunday roast from the comfort of your own home just visit the website for Tony Carvery’s Colwick venue and select Toby Takeaway: https://www.tobycarvery.co.uk/restaurants/midlands/colwickparknottingham

Where to see Christmas lights switch-ons in Gedling borough

2

Arnold, Carlton Square, Mapperley and Gedling will be lit up over the next fortnight to mark the start of the festive season with their annual Christmas lights switch-on events.

Kicking things off this year is Arnold town centre, with the light switch-on scheduled for Friday (23) evening.

This year’s event is being organised by Arnold Local Area Forum and kicks off from 6pm with Santa arriving on his sleigh and the Mayor of Gedling switching on the Christmas lights. The event will be accompanied by carols sung by local schools.

You can also enjoy the Arnold Christmas Market at the same time which takes place on Friday and Saturday.

Christmas gifts and also food and drinks will be on sale. The event, now in its third year, is taking place on the newly refurbished Eagle Square from 3pm.

xmas_lights
Christmas lights



There will be a stage with entertainment for all the family to enjoy including Christmas carols, local entertainers, bands and singers performing in the recently renovated, Eagle Square.

Carlton Hill’s light switch-on will take place on Wednesday, November 28 from 4pm. The lights are being switched on at the sensory garden.

Netherfield is next up. The town’s switch-on event starts at 4pm on Friday, November 30, with performances from Carlton Brass Band and Netherfield Primary School choir.

The Mayor will then be be switching on the lights at 4.35pm and Santa will be visiting on his sleigh.

The lights will then be switched on at Mapperley Top at 4.45pm.

Gedling Village will also have their Christmas lights switched on during Friday, November 30.

The switch-on will take place at 6.15pm at the Miners Memorial followed by refreshments in the Memorial Hall. There will be singing by All Hallows’ School Choir and also a visit from Santa. Goody bags for the children donated by Gedling Road Co-op.

  • If we’ve missed off your local switch-on, let us know and we’ll add it to the list. All times and dates correct at time of publication

‘Number spoofing’ scam can make you think HMRC is calling from Notts Police number

People in Gedling borough are being warned about a new scam where criminals make people believe they are speaking to someone from HMRC and fooling their phone handset into displaying the contact number for Nottinghamshire Police.

Police say they received a report on Saturday from someone saying they’d received a scam call from a person claiming to be from HMRC. The victim was instantly suspicious and ended the call.

When the member of the public googled the number (0115 9670999) it came back as Nottinghamshire Police.

A spokesman for Nottinghamhire Police said: “This is a common tactic used by fraudsters where they falsify information displayed on caller ID systems, tricking people in believing they’re receiving a call from someone they know, a bank, HMRC or even the police.

“Always be wary about what the caller is asking of you. Never give out personal details, security information or bank details out over the telephone unless you’re 100% sure that the person is legitimate.

“If you’re not sure, tell them you will phone them back on the number that you know to be a genuine number for the organisation, not the one they provide.”

If you receive a suspicious call, report it to Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040.

Second arrest after moped knife incident in Arnold

Police have arrested a second person in connection with an incident where two people rode around Arnold town centre on a moped with a knife.

The 16-year-old boy was arrested today on suspicion of attempting to cause grievous bodily harm after a 17-year-old boy was chased during the incident in Front Street at around 3.30pm on Wednesday (November 14).

Another 16-year-old boy who was arrested on Friday (November 16) in connection with the incident has been released on police bail.



A spokesman for Nottinghamshire Police said: “Enquiries are continuing and detectives still want to hear from anyone who witnessed the incident or has information that would help the enquiry”.

Please call 101, quoting incident number 565 of 14 November 2018, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Police appeal after number of jackets stolen from store in Daybrook

Police have issued a picture of a man they would like to speak to after a theft of jackets from a store in Daybrook.

The jackets were stolen from the Go Outdoors store in Mansfield Road at about 7.20pm on Wednesday, November 7, 2018.

PICTURED: Police want to speak to this man after a number of jackets were stolen from a store in Daybrook



Police say a man entered the store and stole six jackets before making off on a waiting motorbike.

If you recognise the man pictured or think you can help, please call Nottinghamshire Police on 101, quoting incident number 513 of 8 November 2018, or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

New Morrisons Daily store to open in Carlton

Supermarket giant Morrisons are set to open a new convenience store in Carlton.

Work is now underway on transforming the former Londis at the Walkers site on Burton Road into one of the retailer’s new convenience stores, known as Morrisons Daily.

The new store will open shortly.

It is believed the petrol side of the business will continue to be operated by Texaco.

Gedling Eye contacted Morrisons about their plans for the store, but they refused to give details.

(PICTURE: Gedling Eye)
PICTURED: Walkers of Carlton back in 2015 (PICTURE: Gedling Eye)

A spokesperson said: “Unfortunately we don’t provide comment on new store speculation. If plans have been submitted it will be available to view on the council’s website.”



Morrisons previously entered the convenience store market back in 2011.

The chain created 140 stores M Local convenience stores across the UK, including a site on Carlton Hill.

PICTURED: The former ‘MyLocal’ store on Carlton Hill (PICTURE: Google)

These were later sold off in 2015 and became rebranded as ‘MyLocal’. These were eventually closed and the site on Carlton Hill remains empty.

Pensioner from Arnold with disabled son among hundreds affected by council care cost rises

A pensioner from Arnold who cares for his disabled son claims the council ‘just don’t give a damn’ after he was given less than 48 hours’ notice about fresh benefit cuts being imposed on his family.

Martin Cater is now one of the many hundreds being affected by the changes being introduced by Nottinghamshire County Council.

The pensioner, who lives in Arnold, cares for his 43-year-old profoundly disabled son, Stephen, who is quadriplegic, brain-damaged and has cerebral palsy.

With less than 48 hours’ notice, he was told that the fee for a day centre his son attends will rise from nothing to £39.30 a week, with new additional charges if Stephen eats lunch or uses transport.

He said: “The way they are doing it has been disgusting.

“They have allowed £20 a week for ‘disability-related expenditure’, but we spend that on washing powder for him alone.

“The letter arrived on Saturday saying that the changes were happening from Monday.

“So I called them on Monday, but they didn’t know anything about it and said they’d write me a letter, but they’ve still not done that.

“Obviously this is going to affect him. It means I won’t be able to take him out as much, but they just don’t give a damn.”

Conservative-led Nottinghamshire County Council decided last month to take more of the disability benefits from 862 disabled people, to pay for the care they receive.

The council says it consulted back in July, and the move brings them in line with other parts of the UK.

It also says it has to make savings due to a £54 million budget gap.

It is understood that the issue will be raised in Parliament in the coming days, and could be the subject of a judicial review.

Disabled_people
Hundreds of disabled people will be affected by new cuts

Vernon Coaker is the MP for Mr Cater, and represents Gedling for Labour.

He said: “The way in which people are being treated by Nottinghamshire County Council is unacceptable and immoral. In one case a constituent was given less than a week to financially adjust to a significant cut to his funding.



“There will be countless cases of people living in communities across the whole of Nottinghamshire who in less than a week are being expected to completely adjust their lives.

“Constituents have told me what these changes mean to them, it means not being able to leave the house to meet friends and family, it means not being able to go to the Day Centre, it means an elderly father caring for his disabled son has reduced respite, it means a poorer diet or not eating at all, it means being faced with tasks that they simply cannot do without help and support, it means falling into a spiral of debt when they do not have the funds for their vital care, it means being on their own, in isolation, away from their community that they rely on for their health and wellbeing.

“I cannot even begin to stress enough what impact this is going to have on people.

“I have asked the leader of Nottinghamshire County Council Councillor Kay Cutts to do the decent thing and reverse this policy.

Councillor Stuart Wallace is the chairman of the council’s social care committee, and represents the Newark East ward for the Conservatives.

He said: “The council is always looking to provide good quality services more efficiently which will help address its £54m budget gap.

“As part of this, we’ve reviewed the way we seek contributions for adult social care services as we currently fund more of people’s care costs compared to many other English councils.

“This hasn’t been an easy decision, but we’ve agreed to take into account a person’s higher disability benefit rates and higher rates of income when deciding how much a person has to contribute as recommended by the Department for Health.

“We have consulted services users and have kept them informed of potential changes since July. We will support people affected by the changes to ensure their needs continue to be met and they are receiving all of their entitled benefits and allowances.

“We will also continue to provide the additional disability related expenditure allowance of £20 a week and consider waiving charges for reasons of financial difficulty or hardship.

“This change has resulted in 58 per cent of service users making a contribution towards their care compared to the previous 46 per cent.”

Cllr Michael Payne represents the Arnold North ward for Labour.

He said: “What is happening is organised, calculated cruelty on a massive scale.

“It is utterly abhorrent of the Conservative county council to treat the most vulnerable people in society like this, without any decency whatsoever.

“The council needs to do the honourable thing and reverse this policy.”

Jail for man who abused children over three decades

A man has been jailed for 17 years after being found guilty of indecently assaulting two girls and a boy over three decades.

Frederick Roy Salmon, 69, formerly of Foxhill Road, East Carlton, was found guilty of 13 offences of sexual assaults and witness intimidation following an eight-day trial at Nottingham Crown Court.

The victims came forward over the last two years and reported the offences to the police, which took place in the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s.

Salmon was jailed on Thursday (November 15) when he appeared for sentencing at Nottingham Crown Court.

PICTURED: Frederick Salmon

A Nottinghamshire Police spokesperson said: “The victims have shown tremendous courage in coming forward to report these offences as well as throughout the eight days of a very traumatising trial.



“They had to relive some very difficult memories. The offences have had a very significant impact on their lives.

“But because of their bravery their attacker is now having to answer for the despicable crimes he committed so long ago and may have thought he had got away with.

“We hope this sentencing gives the victims some comfort and enables them to move forward with their lives.

“We also hope it encourages anyone else who has been affected by sexual abuse, no matter when it happened, to come forward so that Nottinghamshire Police can investigate thoroughly and seek justice for them.”

Police release images of men they want to speak to about theft of cigarettes from Arnold store

Police have released images of two men they want to speak to about a recent theft from a Co-op store in Arnold.

Officers were called to the store in Beckhampton Road at around 7.45pm yesterday (15) following reports that a staff member had been threatened by two men who got away with a large quantity of cigarettes.



The man in the images is described as white and wearing dark clothing. One was of a slim build and the other of a medium build.

If you recognise them or have any information that could help, please call us on 101 quoting incident 772 of 6 October. You can also call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111