Home Blog Page 731

Fire crews from Arnold and Carlton called out as car ends up in River Trent

Fire crews from Arnold and Carlton were called out after a car “left the road” and plunged in to the River Trent.

A woman has now been taken to hospital after the incident which took place on Hoveringham Road in Hoveringham.

The fire brigade said in a tweet they were called to the scene at 3.47pm today (September 24) and that ‘one female casualty had been taken to hospital by paramedics.”

Fire crews from the Arnold, Newark, Highfields and Carlton stations attended.

Take pictures that are out of this world during latest Back Garden Astronomy Week

People in Gedling borough can learn how to take out of this world photography using just a smartphone during the latest Back Garden Astronomy Week.

The latest event, which takes place between September 28 and October 4, is aimed at those who want to discover the wonders of the night sky but don’t know where to ask.

The theme of the latest astronomy week, which is organised by BBC Sky at Night magaizine, is astrophotography.

But don’t worry, you don’t need expensive cameras to snap the stars, a new free guide will walk you though how to capture what wonders you see in the sky on your smartphone or DSLR camera.

Each amateur astrophotographer who signs up via www.skyatnightmagazine.com/backgarden will be guided through how to capture some of the most alluring objects in the night sky, all of which can be photographed from a back garden with just a smartphone or a DSLR camera.

Participants need to sign-up before Saturday, September 28 to receive a free 58-page digital starter pack, and a daily newsletter during Back Garden Astronomy Week containing all the advice that beginners need, including; how to avoid camera shake, the right apps for low-light conditions and which accessories are best for photographing the night sky.

Chris Bramley, Editor of BBC Sky at Night Magazine said: “We’re really excited to be helping people take their first photographs of the night sky with this campaign.

We’re hoping to launch a whole new audience of budding astronomers and astrophotographers on a fascinating and life-long hobby.”

Those keen to kickstart a journey of capturing the night sky simply need to sign up at www.skyatnightmagazine.com/backgarden  

 

Howzat! Cricket club in Calverton bowled over by donation to revamp pavilion

Cricket club bosses in Calverton say they have been bowled over by a donation towards revamping its pavilion from a Nottingham housebuilder.

Calverton Cricket Club has been backed with £1,000 from Persimmon Homes Nottingham. The club is seeing junior memberships grow year-on-year and requires an upper floor to its pavilion on Woods Lane.

Having raised more than £15,000 over the last couple of years, the club aims to have installed new welfare facilities by June.

Each month the housebuilder donates up to £1,000 each to two groups or individuals through its Community Champions charity scheme. This is the same for each of Persimmon Homes’ other 30 regional businesses.

Scott Andrew, from the group, said: “It is fantastic to receive such a generous cash boost from Persimmon Homes Nottingham.

“We are in danger of outgrowing our current premises and we regularly have more than 90 children attending our Friday night kwik cricket sessions, along with their supportive friends and families.

“The pavilion is becoming very cramped because of this, with a particular pressure on our girls and ladies facilities. We are therefore hoping to extend the building upwards and moving the dressing rooms and showers upstairs.

“Persimmon’s kind donation will go a long way to making our new pavilion dream a reality – which will really help us push forward as a club.”

Neil Follows, managing director at Persimmon Homes Nottingham, said: “Calverton Cricket Club is a real community hub for those that love to play cricket on a local level.

“Supporting communities in the areas in which we build is a vital responsibility of ours and the plan for this club’s new pavilion is something we wanted to help out with.

“We’ve made it really simple to apply for funding, and we’re urging groups and charities to apply for next month’s donation by completing an online form at www.persimmonhomes.com/charity.”

Persimmon Homes will also be giving away £1million through its brand new Building Futures competition. Good causes under the brackets of health, sport and education and the arts can find out more information here https://www.persimmonhomes.com/building-futures/

Police issue ‘money mule’ warning to parents in Gedling borough

Police have issued a chilling warning to parents in Gedling borough about their children becoming “money mules”.

A money mule is someone who transfers criminal money through their own bank account on behalf of someone else, they may be paid for doing so. Criminals use money mules to launder the profits of their crimes. This is money laundering.

Police say they need parents help to stop criminals targeting their children by warning them about the dangers of becoming a money mule.

Young people are often unaware that acting as a money mule is illegal. They are approached to take part online, through social media, in person, at school, college or sports clubs.  If convicted of money laundering, the maximum sentence is 14 years imprisonment.

In 2018, there were 5,819 known cases of young people aged 14-18 using their bank accounts for money muling in the UK.

What is a money mule? – An infographic from Equifax UK

Katy Worobec, Managing Director of Economic Crime at UK Finance, said: “It may seem like an easy way to make some cash, but as well as being illegal, being a money mule means you will also be helping to fund serious crimes such as drug dealing and people trafficking.

“When you are caught your bank account will be closed and you will find it difficult to open an account elsewhere or get a mobile phone contract or credit in the future.

“Remember, never give your bank account details to anyone unless you know and trust them.”

Fraud

“The increasing use of social media means that young people have never been more vulnerable to becoming victims of crime. Many youngsters are unaware of the devastating consequences that crime can have on their future opportunities, and so parents, carers, guardians and teachers, must play an important role by ensuring young people have the necessary knowledge, skills and confidence to prevent them from unwittingly falling victim to crime, or even become perpetrators themselves.”

A spokesman for Nottinghamshire Police said: “Involvement in crime, including money laundering could have a life changing impact on your child’s future. Conviction will limit their education, employment and financial opportunities”.

Is your child being used as a ‘money mule’? Signs to look out for…

  • Make sure your child doesn’t give their bank account details to anyone other than parents, carers or guardians.
  • Tell them to be cautious of offers of easy money, because if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
  •   Look out for your child suddenly having extra cash, buying expensive new clothes or electronics with very little explanation as to how they got the money.
  • A young person involved in money muling may become more secretive, disengaged or isolated and may appear anxious.

Further information and advice about money mules is available at www.moneymules.co.uk .

In an emergency Nottinghamshire Police can be contacted by dialling 999 or if you wish to report a crime and for non-emergency matters please dial 101. 

Jobs club in Netherfield helps residents secure new roles

A jobs club in Netherfield has helped find new roles for two local residents.

Gedling Homes residents looking for employment are invited to attend a weekly Work Club, which has been held in Netherfield for the past four years at St George’s Centre in the town.

Mark Crocker, who lives at Walton Court in Carlton, is one of the people the club has helped to secure a new role. Mark has been offered a post at an award-winning public house in Lowdham. Following a successful trial at the pub, the position was offered to him.

Despite one previous short-term contract, innumerable work placements, job applications and interviews, he had not been able to find a permanent job until now. Mark is convinced the CV that the Gedling Homes team helped him compile was crucial to him securing the role.

Jobs_adverts_stock

Mark said: “I can’t wait to get started and look forward to a busy festive season.”

The Gedling Homes Work Clubs are open to all tenants. The clubs give assistance and advice with CV writing, learning interview techniques, practising interview skills and job searches. This enables tenants to be better equipped for securing permanent work at a pace that works for them.

Jenny Kaur, another Gedling tenant who has been attending the work club at Netherfield, also recently had some good news. She secured a role in retail at Lakeland Homeware shop in Nottingham.

The club in Netherfield is on every Monday from 2-4pm at St George’s Centre. There is also a club in Arnold at The Beacon every Thursday between 2-4pm.

For more information about the Gedling Homes Work Clubs, contact our Neighbourhood Engagement team on 0115 905 1515. You can also email Martin.Curtis@jigsawhomes.org.uk

Thomas Cook: Here’s what customers and employees in Gedling borough can do following the firm’s collapse

Thomas Cook has failed to find the money it needed to save itself from compulsory liquidation.

The Insolvency Service has confirmed this morning that that winding up orders were made against Thomas Cook Group plc and associated companies. All Thomas Cook bookings, including flights and holidays, have now been cancelled. All of Thomas Cook’s retail shops will close with immediate effect.

This will be a hugely worrying time for employees of Thomas Cook, as well as their customers. The Government has said it will do all it can to support them.

Customers

All Thomas Cook bookings, including flights and holidays, have now been cancelled. All of Thomas Cook’s retail shops will close with immediate effect.

The government is now working with the UK Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) to help passengers return to the UK. Depending on your location, this will be either on CAA-operated flights or by using existing flights with other airlines. This will apply to both ATOL protected passengers and those who are not protected.

If you are customer due to depart from a UK airport with Thomas Cook Airlines, please do not travel to your UK airport as your flight will not be operating and you will not be able to travel.

Passengers with ATOL protection who are yet to travel are entitled to a full refund on any future bookings. Customers without ATOL protection should speak to their credit card provider or the company they booked their holiday with. You can also speak to your travel insurance provider to see if you are able to claim back any of their costs.

Employees

If you work for Thomas Cook and have been told that you are being made redundant, the Insolvency Service has advice about claiming money you’re owed and information about where you can seek support.

The Insolvency Service website provides further detail about how to apply and how your claim will be paid.

The government’s Jobcentre Plus Rapid Response Service stands ready to help people find a new job as soon as possible by offering tailored support.

The government also intends to convene a cross-government taskforce to support employees, alongside local stakeholders. The taskforce will consider existing support schemes and will also monitor the impact on local businesses.

The Business Secretary will write to the Insolvency Service to ask them to prioritise and fast-track their investigation into the circumstances surrounding Thomas Cook going into liquidation. The investigation will also consider the conduct of the directors.

Business Secretary Andrea Leadsom said: “This will be a hugely worrying time for employees of Thomas Cook, as well as their customers. Government will do all it can to support them. I will be setting up a cross-government taskforce to monitor local impacts, will write to insurance companies to ask them to process claims quickly, and stand ready to provide assistance and advice.

“I will also be writing to the Insolvency Service to ask them to prioritise and fast-track their investigation into the circumstances surrounding Thomas Cook going into liquidation.”

Greggs anger as bakeries in borough begin charging customers 5p for paper bags

Greggs has announced its bakeries in Gedling borough will now charge customers 5p for paper bags.

The bakery giant, which has a string of stores across the area, sparked anger following the announcement.

The profits from the sales are to go to its Greggs Foundation charity, which supports good causes in local communities, claims Greggs.

Greggs-vegan-sausage-roll

The decision has been met with an angry backlash from customers, with many pointing out that the government levy only applies to plastic bags – which the chain previously phased out.

Retailers with 250 or more full-time equivalent employees have to charge a minimum of 5p for plastic bags in stores and for deliveries, but smaller shops and paper bags are not included.

Andy Jacob from Arnold took to social media and expressed anger at the move.

He said: “This charges will put people off moving over to paper. They don’t need to charge for this, only plastic. I hope the money is really going to charity”

“I’ll be trying smaller places in Arnold for my daily sausage roll. Those 5ps all add up.”

The bakery isn’t the only retailer to charge for paper bags in the area. Morrisons also charge 25p for paper carrier bags. The retailer said profits from bags were being invested in plastic reduction initiatives.


Old tree spared the axe as revised crossing plans for Calverton get green light

An old tree facing removal to make way for a new road crossing in Calverton could now be spared the axe.

Residents had voiced concerns about the tree being removed if plans to build a crossing on Main Street near the village square next year were approved.

But today, MP Mark Spencer and local county councillors Boyd Elliott and Jane Walker revealed in a video to residents that they had found a solution to save the tree and also go ahead with the crossing.

PICTURED: Boyd Elliott, right.

As well as announcing the tree would remain, Mr Spencer said the crossing had been given the go ahead and work would begin next year.

Mr Spencer said: “As you may know, we’ve been trying to get a crossing sorted across Main Street in Calverton to improve the safety of the village there. However, there were also concerns from some local residents about wanting to save the big tree on the site of the proposed crossing.

“Local county councillor Boyd Elliott has been working hard on this, and I’m very pleased to say that we’ve managed to get a situation where not only will the crossing be built, but we’ve also managed to save the tree as well! This is great news for local residents.”

mark-spencer-jane-walker
PICTURED: MP Mark Spencer with Gedling Borough councillor Jane Walker

Two previous attempts have been made to build a crossing at the site, on Main Street, but there were urgent calls to get something put in place quickly following the death of 88-year-old Lilian Hamblin, who was fatally injured in a traffic collision just yards from the spot back in May.

Work on the new crossing is expected to be completed by February 2020.

People in Gedling borough warned not to fall for ‘year of free TV’ email scam

People in Gedling borough are being urged to stay alert for a new scam email doing the rounds offering ‘a year of free TV’.

The email – which claims to be from TV Licensing – urges people to complete a form via a link which makes them eligible for the free TV offer.

Those who click on the link are prompted for personal details and also financial information like credit and debit card numbers.

Scambusters Action Fraud has confirmed the email is a scam designed by crooks to steal personal and financial details.

A spokesman said: “The links provided in this email lead to genuine looking websites that are designed to steal personal and financial details.

“Don’t click on the links or attachments in suspicious emails and never respond to messages that ask you for personal or financial details.”

A TV Licensing spokesperson said: “We’re continuing to work closely with Action Fraud to raise awareness of the scam emails circulating to the public, posing as genuine TV Licensing communications.

“TV Licensing will never email customers, unprompted, to ask for bank details, or personal information.”

A number of readers have contacted us after receiving the scam in their inboxes.

Peter Collins, from Mapperley, was one of the people who alerted Gedling Eye to the con.

He said: “I’d never seen an offer like this so was curious. I did find it odd when they asked for my card details as I already have an account set up with TV Licensing because I pay monthly. I ended up deleting the email, but I hope others aren’t caught out by it.”

You should report fraudulent emails to Action Fraud

Students receive cash boost from Arnold firm for Duke Of Edinburgh expedition

A building supplies and plant and tool hire company based in Arnold has donated more than £2,000 to help students at a local school complete their Gold Duke of Edinburgh (DofE) expedition in Snowdonia.

Frank Key Group in Daybook is owned by Robert Sansom – a long term supporter of Arnold Hill Academy.

He pledged £200 per student to cover part of the cost of taking part in the Duke of Edinburgh expedition. The whole expedition process costs £525 per person.

Twelve students planned and completed a four-day expedition across Snowdonia National Park. The expedition is a vital component of the Duke of Edinburgh Award.

Roger Smith is Arnold Hill’s DofE Centre Manager. He said: “The generous contribution that the school received from Frank Key went a long way to making this expedition a reality.

PICTURED: (L-R) Ben C, Kat, Elodie, Ellie, Nina, Angus, Ben H, Zoe, Leo, James & Jonathan at Dolgam, Snowdonia.

“During the expedition, our students faced a real challenge that pushed them to the limit, both physically and mentally. The skills they learned will benefit them greatly in years to come.

“The Duke of Edinburgh award is of huge value to young people in the jobs market. It provides a real point of difference, helping them to develop skills that will be useful in the workplace. It’s fantastic to see Frank Key investing in the future of our students.”

Frank Key owner, Robert Sansom said: “It is a pleasure to continue our support with Arnold Hill School and its Duke of Edinburgh programme.

“Helping the students take part in such a life-changing scheme is truly rewarding. We take great pride in investing in our local community and helping young people succeed.

“A massive well done to all of those who took part; we are sure you have all developed valuable skills and made memories for life.” 

The Duke of Edinburgh Award is widely acknowledged as the world’s leading achievement award for young people. To achieve an award, students take part in a host of activities including volunteering, learning a skill, getting fit, taking part in a week-long residential and planning and undertaking an expedition in wild country. www.dofe.org.

Frank Key is an independent family-owned company with its HQ in the Daybrook. It has an ongoing programme of charitable donations and supports many local community groups and campaigns.

For more information about Frank Key, visit www.frank-key.co.uk.