Home Blog Page 694

Morrisons now only sells free-range eggs in Netherfield store

Morrisons in Netherfield has now brought an end to the sale of caged eggs, as it goes full free-range across its store.

This latest commitment from the supermarket giant will mean all eggs sold in store will come from hens that have outdoor access for at least eight hours each day, as well as nest boxes with wide perches and spaces for scratching and dust bathing.  

Morrisons is also continuing to work on ensuring that 100% of eggs used as ingredients in products are cage free by 2025. 

The supermarket in Victoria Retail Park also announced they will be dropping the price of a pack of six free range eggs from 80p to 75p to make them even more affordable.

Morrisons sells over 10 million eggs a week nationally, with two million previously coming from caged hens. 

Morrisons
Morrisons has a store in Netherfield

Robert Hofmann, Morrisons egg buyer, said: “Improving animal welfare is very important to customers and it’s very important to us. We source our eggs directly from farms and have worked hard to help them all move to free range.

“From today, all our eggs will come from free-range hens that are able to roam freely outdoors – typically during daylight hours – and then return to nest boxes in the evening.”

Dr Tracey Jones, director of Food Business at Compassion in World Farming, said: “It’s great to see Morrisons achieving their commitment to be 100% free range on shell eggs ahead of their 2022 target.

“Momentum on ending the use of cages for laying hens is growing and Morrisons are leading the way. Importantly, they also have a 2025 cage-free commitment on the eggs that go into processed and ingredient foods.”

Gedling Borough Council launch consultation over new multi-million pound revamp of Arnold Market

Gedling Borough Council has launched a consultation on proposals to revamp Arnold Market Place.

People are being urged to have their say on the plans which include a new two-storey building with permanent small business units and a revamped market.

A consultation on the ideas and concepts will begin on Monday and the council is urging residents to have their say and help shape the future of the market.

The market will receive the most significant investment it has ever had with up to £4 million allocated to the project as part of the council’s plan to revitalise the centre and create a new space that will help boost visitors to the town centre and support local businesses.

The proposals include the construction of a new landmark building, between the existing Methodist Church and King George V Park.  A two-storey building will frame the new market place as well as create a new eastern gateway into Arnold Town Centre.  A new public space will be created as a central focal point for the Market. The new building will provide seven small outlets for local independent businesses with flexible space above, which could be used for a variety of commercial options.

PICTURED: Artist’s impression of new-look Arnold Market

Funding for this project will come from the council’s capital programme budget, boosted by a successful bid for £1.25 million from the D2N2 Local Enterprise Partnership’s Local Growth Fund that supports town centre improvements. The project will create around 40 new jobs through business employment and through the construction of the new buildings.

There will be several public consultation events taking place around Arnold. The first will take place on Friday, February 28 at the Market on Front Street, Arnold from 10am – 2pm. The public will be able to view the designs and talk to Council Officers and Councillors about the plans.

There will also be consultation events at Arnold Methodist Church and at the Gedling Business Partnership Forum. Local stallholders and businesses will be invited to attend specific consultation events, focused on how the changes will affect them and how they can have an input into the plans.

The council has hired Maber Architects, who specialise in landscape and master planning services, to design the initial concepts and they are working with Architect students from Nottingham Trent University to help bring the ideas to life.

Leader of Gedling Borough Council, Councillor John Clarke said: “We are very excited to share these ambitious ideas for Arnold Market Place. The market and the town centre will benefit from the biggest investment it has ever received and we want residents and businesses to be involved from the outset, which is why we have opened this consultation period.

We want to create a place that will encourage new, exciting business opportunities whilst making sure the essence of the market, which has stood there for over 50 years, is not lost. We made a promise to our residents that we would invest in Arnold Town Centre and the Market and you can see from these plans, that we are keeping that promise.

We will make sure residents and businesses are involved every step of the way but, we also want to reassure them that we will be moving quickly to get work started. It’s a very exciting moment for Arnold and for the council, we hope residents will be pleased with the ideas and designs and we really want them to have their say during the consultation period.”

Councillors help clear thick mud that was trapping elderly people in their properties after flooding in Burton Joyce

Two councillors yesterday mucked in to help dig residents in Burton Joyce out of their properties after they became blocked in by thick mud.

The elderly residents on Nottingham Road were left trapped by the sludge which had collected outside their properties following the recent floods.

Councillors Sam Smith and Michael Adams quickly sprung into action to help prevent a repeat of an incident where the same residents had been reportedly left housebound for 10 days when mud gathered during floods back in November.

Cllr Sam Smith gets stick in with mud removal work (IMAGE: Twitter @TrentValleyCllr)
PICTURED” Councillor Michael Adams helps clear mud on Nottingham Road (IMAGE: Twitter @TrentValleyCllr)

The councillors for Trent Valley were joined by Gedling Borough Council teams who also took part in the clear-up operation on Nottingham Road.

Councillor Smith said: “We’ve been helping clear elderly residents drives on Nottingham Road which have been blocked by thick mud left from the floods.

“These residents were housebound for 10 days when this happened in November and we didn’t want that to happen again.

He added: “We’re really grateful to Gedling Borough Council for their help.”

Bestwood Village firm secures NHS contract

A firm from Bestwood Village has secured a new contract with the NHS.

Shredall SDS Group, who are based on Bestwood Business Park, is the largest independently owned confidential waste shredding, paper recycling, document storage and scanning company in the UK,

They have won the contract to store and retrieve confidential documents for Sherwood Forest Hospitals Foundation Trust.

The new Confidential Document Storage contract includes all three hospitals in the trust; King’s Mill Hospital, Newark Hospital and Mansfield community hospital.

The contract comes as the group celebrate 23 years in business and includes a managed service onsite twice a week, whereby Shredall visits the hospitals and empties consoles placed around the wards. The documents are then shredded onsite before they leave the hospital, which is paramount for confidentiality. King’s Mill hospital alone has around 170 consoles.

The service will include shredding of confidential and non-confidential waste paper, x-rays and media, as well as hardware such as hard drives and other information technology. Shredall’s newest service of paper cup recycling is also offered throughout the hospitals.

Sherwood Forest Hospitals Foundation Trust has chosen to work with SDS Document Storage, which will total 17,000 boxes stored securely in the SDS archive. The contract will offer an on demand retrieval service of files back to the hospital when needed.

The new document storage contracts accompany the weekly onsite shredding services that Shredall SDS Group has provided for Sherwood Forest Hospital Trust for over 5 years.

Commenting on the contract win, Shredall SDS Group Director, Lucy Shipley said: “We have worked with Sherwood Forest Hospital Trust for many years providing confidential destruction of documents, so it’s an honour to continue this long standing relationship. Our team is now working with the trust to store records off-site at our Nottingham based facility, which enables the hospital to free up valuable space to service more patients. We look forward to continue working closely with the Trust in the future to ensure confidentiality and efficiency for all three hospitals.”

Lucy continues,“Since its inception, SDS has grown to store over 250,000 boxes, 200,000 open files and 3200 back up tapes. We are a trusted Nottingham family business offering a reputable service offering. January 2020 was particularly busy with a 105% increase on new boxes entering our storage depot.”

Shredall SDS Group, Managing Director,  Nik Williams comments, “Shredall SDS Group is going from strength to strength. GDPR is still very much on people’s radar and it’s important to manage retention guidelines accordingly. We are very excited for the next decade.”

Bestwood Village residents start petition calling for answers from councils around planned traffic calming measures

Residents in Bestwood Village have started a petition calling on councils to consult with the community before putting traffic calming measures in place.

They also are calling for urgent repairs to be carried out on local roads which are blighted by potholes.

The petition, which has been started by Bestwood Village resident Tom Reed, is asking Nottingham City and County Councils for consultations before opting to install road humps, which will be used to slow down speeding traffic in the village.

Residents say they think ‘there are better options’. Many local people also say the current humps cause damage to vehicles.

Mr Reed told Gedling Eye: “It’s not clear who requested the traffic humps. We would like to know who this was and a basic explanation of why this is what we are getting.

PICTURED: Plans for traffic calming measures in Bestwood Village (IMAGE: Tom Reed)

“We would like to see the reasons for road humps opposed to other better solutions. We feel continuation of a bad method proven to not work is not a valid option for us.

“We want to find out if it was one person requesting this and if it was, what findings or reports that led us down this path.

“The people of Bestwood Village and wider community have been trying to get answers to some simple questions regarding the scheduled traffic calming works to Bestwood Road ‘Kings Park’ on our boundary into Bulwell.

“We have been trying all methods possible to get answers for over eight weeks now with no valid response from anyone. “

He added: “We will not be ignored and stalling and hiding to get the works completed without the community having our answers is not acceptable.”

Sally Holmes said she regularly pays visits to friends in the village and thinks the humps currently in place cause damage to vehicles.

She said: “The wear and tear on vehicles is noticeable. Try spending money on tackling the flooding instead.”

Mr Reed said there were growing frustrations in the village around the lack of repairs to roads.

He said: “We have also been attempting to get simple urgent fixes to the road surface to make the road safer.

“We still have nothing in writing from the councils to say when exactly the road will be resurfaced apart from it will be looked at once the planned traffic calming has been carried out.”

Gedling Eye has conatcted Nottinghamshire County Council and Nottingham City Council for comments.

You can sign the petition here: https://www.change.org/p/mark-spencer-mp-the-people-of-bestwood-village-need-answers-from-city-council-regarding-scheduled-works?fbclid=IwAR1F3CRKpw7MGrOSns1cBl_c3zTHE0FDdgcR_1dK3Rk4TJoaWLjY3V0Cl1U


Flood warnings for Stoke Bardolph after Storm Dennis

River levels at Stoke Bardolph continue to rise after Storm Dennis hit the area over the weekend.

The Environment Agency has issued warnings and Stoke Bardolph appeared on the list of areas with a flood alert in place.

A spokesman for the Environment Agency said: “River levels have risen at the Colwick river gauge as a result of heavy rainfall over the weekend. Consequently, flooding is expected to continue.

Stoke Bardolph is an area most at risk.

They said further light rainfall is forecast for the next 48 hours and possible further rain on Wednesday and Thursday.

The spokesman added: “We are closely monitoring the situation.

“Our incident response staff are liaising with emergency services and patrolling watercourses in the area.

“Please plan driving routes to avoid low-lying roads near rivers, which may be flooded and avoid using low-lying footpaths near local watercourses.

Local police beat teams out and about in Gedling borough over next few weeks call on public to share their concerns

0

Neighbourhood policing teams out and about in the borough over the next weeks are encouraging people to talk to them and share their concerns.

The local beat team will be out in Newstead on Sunday between 1-3pm, conducting a ward walk of the area.

A neighbourhood policing team spokesman said: “This is an opportunity for the residents and visitors of Newstead Village to come and speak to the local beat team.

“We will look forward to seeing you so please come and say hello.”

On Tuesday, February 25, members of Gedling South Beat Team will be conducting a patch walk around shops in the area.

Between 2pm-3pm they will be on patrol at the shops on Mapperley Top (Woodborough Road) They will then head down to the shops on Carlton Hill

A spokesman added: “Please come and have a chat with your local beat team.”

A bridge too far: Graham Finch thinks that a solution to the city’s traffic crisis shouldn’t cost the earth

Occasional Gedling Eye columnist Graham Finch says he wants the city to ‘start thinking outside the box’ to solve current traffic crisis…

Nottingham was named as the most congested city in the world for a brief moment last Monday after traffic was brought to a standstill for hours following the Clifton Bridge closure.

Since then, voices across the city have been calling on the councils to get to work on a fourth crossing over the Trent to alleviate the problem.

But is this really the answer?

Our own leader John Clarke thinks so.

But as our world faces a looming climate crisis, this insistence on pandering to the road user seems out of touch.

The problem is not down to a lack of crossings but having too many cars on the road. We’re only encouraging car ownership by ensuring smoother commutes into the city and this can’t continue: it’s just a quick fix.

People now need to be encouraged out of their cars and onto buses and trams or into electric vehicles.

Just to be clear (I can hear some of you saying it now): I’m not a green lefty who is anti-business.

Of course I want Nottingham to flourish and grow (it’s home!), but just not at the expense of a world my grandchildren hope to inherit in twenty years’ time.

Our icebergs are melting, sea levels rising, the planet warming and species quickly facing extinction; it doesn’t take a person with a degree to work out we’re in big trouble.

As I said, I don’t have a degree, but we do need our academics and eggheads to get their heads together and find a greener solution to solve our plight.

Quicker, greener transport is needed to ensure we can get around this metropolis without a cost to the environment.

It’s like something you’d expect to see in an episode of The Simpsons when you hear city bosses and the public chanting for ‘another bridge, another bridge’ when asked how we solve the congestion crisis. Please, let’s start thinking out of the box.

Come on, Nottingham. You claim to be a progressive forward-thinking city, so let’s start thinking like one.

Family of Carlton woman who died after being found in Nottingham street join police in appeal for help tracing her last movements

The family of a woman from Carlton who died after being found lying in a street in Nottingham are joining police in an appeal for help in tracing a her final movements.

The woman, who was found lying on the pavement on Abbotsford Drive shortly after 2am on Wednesday (February 12).

She has now been identified by police as 58-year-old Tasneem Grainger, of Carlton.

Police have confirmed that her death is not currently being treated as suspicious, although the events leading up to her death remain unexplained.

Paramedics treated Mrs Grainger at the scene but she was pronounced dead shortly after 3am on Wednesday.

Tasneem Grainger
Tasneem Grainger

In a statement her family said: “She was an extremely kind and generous woman to everyone, including her friends and family. She always saw the best in people.

“As a family we are keen to know her whereabouts leading up to her death.”

Detective Inspector Ruby Burrow, of Nottinghamshire Police, said: “We are appealing for information to help us piece together Mrs Grainger’s movements between 5pm on Tuesday and 11.20pm on Wednesday which is when she appears on CCTV footage on Abbotsford Drive.

“We are interested in speaking to anyone who interacted with her during these times and we’d urge them to please contact us.

“From CCTV footage we know that, before Mrs Grainger died, she was talking to someone wearing a parka jacket for quite some time at the location where her body was found.

“If you are that person then we’d urge you to please come forward and get in touch with us.”

If you have any information please call Nottinghamshire Police on 101, quoting incident number 36 of 12 February 2020.

Mrs Grainger’s family has asked for privacy at this difficult time.

A file is being prepared for the coroner.

Police want to speak to these two men after jewellery theft in Carlton

0

Police officers have released CCTV images of two men they want to speak to after an robbery.

Detectives are investigating a series of robberies that happened between Christmas and New Year.

Officers would like to speak to the two men pictured in connection with the incidents on December 28, 2019.

Police want to speak to this man (IMAGE: Notts Police)
Police want to speak to this man (IMAGE: Notts Police)

The first incident happened at around 4.45am on Cavendish Crescent in Carlton where a silver chain was stolen. Later that morning at 6.30am a wallet was stolen on Milton Street, Nottingham.

One victim suffered injuries to his head and knee following the incident.

Do you recognise them? Think you can help?

Please call Nottinghamshire Police on 101, quoting incident number 129 of 28 December 2019, or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.