An Arnold couple who had been together 20 years have tied the knot in a ceremony at a Nottingham hospital after one of them was diagnosed with a terminal illness.
Mick and Nicola Cutforth exchanged their vows at Nottingham City Hospital in an emotional ceremony before family and close friends.
Staff from Toghill Ward and Hayward House joined forces to decorate Hayward House’s hall for the ceremony.
The wedding took place at Nottingham City Hospital
Mick, a driver for T&S Heating, was admitted to hospital with breathlessness last month but was diagnosed with leukaemia and given the devastating news that his condition was terminal.
Mick and Nicola, of Arnold, have five children between them: Nicola’s are Joshua and Charlotte and Mick’s are Luke, Scott and Lindsey, who made their wedding cake.
“It was better than any of us could have imagined!” said nurse Megan Kearney, who cared for Mick on Toghill.
“There were lots of happy tears and grateful hearts – all made possible by the staff in the NHS pulling together to support their patients.
“It was a privilege to be able to make Mick’s wish come true and a real honour to be able to be part of such a special occasion.”
The couple chose Whitney Houston’s I Will Always Love You for their wedding song, as it perfectly captured their feelings for each other.
“The staff that organised and supported the wedding have been amazing,” said the new Mrs Cutforth. “It wouldn’t have been such a special day without them – I can’t thank them enough.”
Villages in Gedling borough are to feature in a series of new audio walks designed to give residents and visitors a guided tour of settlements near Sherwood Forest.
Sherwood Voices is a series of six audio walks written and directed by local performer Andy Barrett.
Episodes feature personal stories, experiences, and points of view from people who live in areas near Sherwood Forest.
The walks will be available to download and stream from the start of National Storytelling Week on Saturday, January 28.
The walks have been created through hours of conversation with people from across the Sherwood Forest area. Alongside storytellers, listeners will hear from shepherds, anglers, undertakers, park rangers, vicars, schoolchildren, and many others.
The location of each walk spans across Bestwood, Calverton, Clipstone, Edwinstowe, Newstead and Ollerton; each with their own story to tell.
The walks respond to the sights and sounds that visitors will come across on their journey, and delve into the past, the present and something of the future of their location.
Sherwood Voices is led by Excavate and supported by Inspire, Miner2Major, The National Lottery Heritage Fund and Arts Council England.
Presenter Andy Barrett said: “The recent experience of lockdown has made us all realise the importance of our local landscape as a place to walk and explore.
“These audio tours build on this as well as exploring what has been, over the past thirty years or so, a period of profound change for the area. Sherwood Voices digs into this change; exploring the past and present culture of the area, and in doing so reveals how we all make sense of the places in which we live”.
Steve Little, Scheme Manager of Miner2Major, said: “Sherwood Forest is steeped in history with many tales to tell. Thanks to National Lottery players Sherwood Voices brings to life local stories and connections to this wonderful area told by the people who live here”.
Peter Gaw, INSPIRE, Chief Executive commented; “Sherwood Voices is an exciting storytelling project that invites listeners to discover the rich heritage of Sherwood Forest through the unique stories and perspectives of the people that live there. Whether it’s rediscovering one’s own backyard or uncovering new sights, this project promises to inspire exploration. At Inspire Libraries, we are proud to support this project, as we believe that heritage plays an essential role in learning and education”.
The full audio walks will be available to download and stream for free from January 28 on the Inspire website.
You can access the Sherwood Voices booklet online or pick up a copy at RSPB Sherwood Forest Visitor Centre in Edwinstowe, Dynamo Café in Bestwood, Calverton and Clipstone Libraries, Lifespring Church in Ollerton, The Welfare Community Centre in Newstead and Nottingham Tourism and Travel Centre in Nottingham city centre.
Call the team at Ask Inspire for any further guidance about accessing maps and mp3 players on 01623 677 200.
A bar in Carlton Square has announced it will be temporarily closed until early April while owners focus on a new venue they recently opened in Mapperley.
Steve’s Bar owner Stephen Charles made the announcement about the temporary closure of his Carlton Square venue on their social media channels.
The bar will shut its doors on Saturday, January 21 until April 1.
He posted: “Time and staff resources are limited since transforming the former ‘Tipsy Ts’ bar in Mapperley to ‘Steve’s Bar’ and running both is just not possible at the moment.
“January is a tough month financially for everyone, businesses included.”
“By the time April comes, the better weather will have arrived, Steve’s Bar Mapperley will be sorted and we will have more time.”
Mr Charles recently took over the former Tipsy T’s building, which has now been transformed into a new Steve’s Bar venue and is proving popular with Mapperley locals. It has become renowned for its live music offering.
PICTURED: Steve’s Bar owner Stephen Charles behind the bar at the venue in Carlton Square
The Carlton Square venue is currently on the market however Stephen and co-owner Andrew have promised to re-open Steve’s Bar, Carlton Square on April 1, if not sold by then
The owners thanked everyone who has supported them so far.
Lloyds Pharmacy located within the Sainsbury’s store in Arnold is to close, it has been announced.
The company is shutting all of its 237 in-store branches this year in response to changing market conditions which potentially puts more than 2,000 jobs at risk.
Individual branches will be put up for sale and the company said it was “working with colleagues potentially affected by the changes and has underlined its commitment to support them through the process”. It did not say how many roles could be affected.
The move comes just eight years after Lloyds Pharmacy bought the pharmacy network for £125 million and less than a year after the chain was bought by Aurelius.
Kevin Birch, chief executive of Lloyds Pharmacy, has said: “This decision has not been an easy one and we understand that our patients and customers may have questions about how the change will affect them
“We would like to thank them for their continued support and assure them that we are committed to providing a smooth transition over the coming months.”
The closure of Lloyds Pharmacy at Sainsbury’s means the nearest branch for Arnold residents will be on Mansfield Road in Sherwood.
A wine shop in Arnold is enjoying the taste of success after making a move into the town’s new AMP building.
Taste First opened its doors to customers just over two months ago after becoming one of the first businesses to move into the new multi-million pound premises in the town centre.
James Carson, who owns the business, said people in the town had been really supportive of the new venture.
“It’s always a risk opening up a new shop at any time let alone in the current economic climate but people have really embraced what we do,”he said.
PICTURED: Taste First at the new AMP building in Arnold
“Customers have treated themselves and others to tasting experiences in both wine and rum.”
“People are loving the fact that Taste First can cater for smaller numbers which has really made a difference as a lot of their bookings have been for two people.”
PICTURED: A customer enjoys a wine tasting event
James revealed that larger parties are still interested in the experience and he had a number of bookings in February and April.
The AMP-based business regularly changes the wine list to keep things interesting so customers are advised to check their social media accounts for news of new additions.
The wine tasting shop is also now working with their business neighbours in the AMP and now offer deli boards from ‘Cleos Deli’ to accompany the wine tastings.
Deli Board provided by ‘Cleos Deli’
James and the team are currently planning for the year ahead with lots of exciting events in the pipeline. A Burn’s Night Whisky Tasting event is planned for January 25 with tickets available online at https://www.tastefirst.co.uk and in store.
James said he hopes the business will become something really special for the people of Arnold.
He said: “I cannot thank everyone enough for walking through our doors and treating themselves to either a nice wine or a tasting voucher. As we are a genuine small local business, this really means a lot.
“If you haven’t tried us already then please come in and say ‘hi'”
Taste First can be found at Unit 7, The AMP, Arnold Market Place, NG5 6ND and contacted online on www.tastefirst.co.uk or on facebook on https://www.facebook.com/tastefirstuk.
New laptops are helping police in Gedling borough to spend more responding to community priorities, an inspector has said.
The devices mean the officers don’t have to spend as many hours inside police stations and can instead offer more of a high-visibility presence.
A total of 17 Lenovo laptops have been purchased with money from the Safer Streets fund and will be used by PCSOs operating in Netherfield and Colwick and other areas in the county.
It comes after the Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner for Nottinghamshire secured £3 million of funding for a range of initiatives through the latest round of the Home Office’s Safer Streets scheme.
PICTURED: PCC Caroline Henry (PHOTO: LDR service) secured the funding for Safer Streets
Inspector Rob Lawton, the project lead, said PCSOs in these areas have now been issued with laptops in the same way as police officers, which means much more time spent in the community.
“PCSOs work incredibly hard so this is giving them the tools they need to be more efficient and help them further the incredible work they are already doing,” he said.
“Having a laptop means they are able to be out in the community for a much higher proportion of their working day, so they are out preventing more crime and antisocial behaviour and improving victim satisfaction.”
PCSO Lisa Bee is one of the officers who has been using the new laptops.
“It helps you deal with incidents better on the spot because you have access to all the information you need at your fingertips to deal with things quickly and efficiently,” she said.
“It means the public are getting a better service and should see PCSOs out and about more.”
The Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner for Nottinghamshire has been working with Nottinghamshire Police and Gedling Borough Council to implement a range of public safety measures as part of Safer Streets.
These range from CCTV and automatic number plate recognition cameras, to Safe Space schemes in shops, street lighting, new Safer Streets Wardens and diversionary activities for young people.
Police and Crime Commissioner Caroline Henry said: “The aim of the Safer Streets scheme is to prevent neighbourhood crime and antisocial behaviour, and violence against women and girls.
“By equipping these PCSOs with laptops we are freeing up lots more of their time to be out in public tackling each of these important issues.”
Gedling MP Tom Randall says he will have an urgent meeting with the Government after the Labour-run council’s £50m bid to transform Arnold town centre failed.
Deputy leader of Gedling Borough Council, Cllr Michael Payne (Lab), called the Government’s decision to turn down the plan “disgraceful”.
The council had hoped to transform the leisure centre and Bonington Theatre in Arnold, and use the money for a new library alongside improvements to Front Street.
PICTURE: Tom Randal said he plans to meet with the Government to discuss the failed bidPICTURED: Council leader John Clarke MBE, left, and deputy leader Michael Payne, right today criticised the Government after the latest bid was rejected
An initial bid during the first round failed, as was the case upon the announcement of the successful second round bids on January 18.
Feedback on the first round bid said it was “disparate and insufficiently compelling”, according to Gedling’s MP Mr Randall.
Following the announcement Mr Randall spoke in the Commons on January 19, where he called for an urgent meeting to go through why the bid failed again “chapter and verse”.
Levelling Up minister of state, Lucy Frazer, said she would be “very happy” to do so.
Mr Randall told the Local Democracy Reporting Service: “Gedling‘s Levelling-Up Fund bid was devised by, written by, and submitted by Labour-run Gedling Borough Council.
“I’m naturally disappointed that the bid has not been successful.
“When I became Member of Parliament for Gedling, I secured meetings with ministers and Whitehall civil servants to try to get a better understanding of why bids made by Gedling Borough Council before I became an MP had failed.
“I will continue to take a constructive approach, to learn lessons, and to try to help Gedling Borough Council get into a position where it is making successful bids. I hope that the council takes the same constructive approach.
“Gedling has been unsuccessful across a number of funding pots over a period of time under different Prime Ministers, different Secretaries of State and different Members of Parliament for Gedling.
“The only constant is the political leadership of Gedling Borough Council.”
PROJECT: The cash would have been spent revamping Arnold town centre
Gedling Borough Council has also missed out on both the Future High Streets funding and the Towns Fund.
The news comes not long after Government statistics revealed Gedling is amongst the five worst-affected nationally for reductions in the council’s ability to fund key services.
During a Nottinghamshire County Council Full Council meeting on January 19, Cllr Payne (Lab) said: “Three years on from when this Government was elected, and £8.2bn has been dished out in the Towns Fund, the Future High Streets Fund and in the Levelling Up Fund, every single local authority area within our county and city has received funding from those funds, except one – Gedling.
“I could shout from the rooftop about how disgraceful it is, how people in Gedling and residents feel shafted by it, being left out of decisions by Government.”
In the same meeting Cllr John Clarke (Lab), the leader of the borough council, added: “It is continuous and there’s a pattern, it’s a bugbear on the people of Gedling.
“We’ve had a new road built with the help of the county council and we’ve got all those kinds of things, but it stings this time and it’s grossly unfair now.”
Asda is making a major change to over half of its own-brand yoghurts by removing “Use By” dates and replacing them with “Best Before” dates.
The supermarket giant, which has a store in Arnold, says the change will help customers combat food waste at home.
The label change follows data from climate action NGO WRAP, which says that half of all yoghurt wasted in UK households is in unopened packs.
The report also showed that 70% of all the yoghurt wasted in the home is due to the product ‘not being used in time’, with the date label cited as the reason.
Over the next few weeks, customers will notice the label change on products such as Asda natural yoghurt, Greek Yoghurt, and Extra Special Strawberry and Hazelnut.
The “Best Before” date indicates the product’s quality, rather than safety, and will give customers more flexibility in consuming the product before it goes bad.
Asda’s move to change the labels is a step towards reducing food waste, which has a significant environmental impact.
According to WRAP, food waste in the UK produces 20 million tonnes of greenhouse gas emissions each year, equivalent to the emissions of one in four cars on the road.
Paul Gillow, Vice President – Fresh & Frozen Foods at Asda, said: “We are always looking at ways we can help customers reduce food waste in the home, and with research from WRAP saying 54,000 tonnes of edible yoghurt is thrown away unnecessarily each year we are hopeful this change will both make a big difference to the environment and save customers money at the same time.”
Catherine David, Director of Collaboration & Change, WRAP, said: “WRAP is thrilled to see our partner Asda make these changes on yoghurts – which will help reduce food waste in our homes. Wasting food feeds climate change and costs us money – with the average family spending £700 year on good food which ends up in the bin. Our research shows applying the appropriate date label to products like yoghurts can help reduce the amount of good food that is thrown in the bin.
“Check out Love Food Hate Waste for tips on how to make the most of the food you buy – for example ensuring your fridge is below 5oC, to keep your food fresher for longer.”
The change follows Asda’s removal of Best Before dates on almost 250 of its fresh fruit and vegetables products late last year including citrus fruits, potatoes, cauliflowers and carrots.
Jazz in the Bar – Bonington Theatre, Arnold, 7.30pm.
Jazz in the Bar’s guests this month are John Sanderson and Sue Benson. John plays fluently on all the saxes and flute with a silky smooth swinging sound on ballads and jazz standards. Sue adds her expressive vocals to the mix, and joins Bob for a couple of vocal duets.
With the fab Bob Hudson Trio accompanying and doing their own feature numbers it will be a night of toe tapping finger snapping jazz!
Bachata Tuesday – The Punchbowl, Mapperley, 7.30pm & 8.30pm
Learn to dance Bachata (Moderna & Sensual Style) with Professional Salsa & Bachata Dancer, Performer & Renowned Choreographer – Bruno from Salsa Passion UK
Lambley Village CC are based in Gedling Village and play at ‘The Octavian Oval’ on Lambley Lane.
This is a team that is returning from the wilderness and definitely on the up. Over the last couple of seasons they have been promoted twice , winning the division last season.
The club will be playing in Division H of the Gunn and Moore South Notts Cricket League in the 2023 season.
The club is growing and developing with long term goals to have a second team, youth section, ladies team and grand plans to redevelop the clubhouse.
Their ambitions are being supported by sponsorship from local businesses as well as recently being successful in being awarded a small community grant from local councillors Jenny Hollingsworth and Lynda Pearson.
The club is always looking for new members, players, spectators, volunteers and officials so if you fancy getting involved why not get in touch.