The demolition of a landmark leisure centre should not be delayed despite a planning setback, council officials have said.
Gedling Borough Council has been pushing forward with its £30 million ‘Carlton Active’ project – a scheme which will see a new, modern leisure centre built in Carlton.
The project involves the Richard Herrod Centre and Carlton Forum Centre being knocked down to create the new space on the site of where the Richard Herrod currently sits.
The Richard Herrod Centre’s legacy dates back several decades, from the dry ski slope on site from the 1960s until the 1990s, to being the home of the Gedling Indoor Bowls Club from 1987 until 2026.
It was also used as a vaccination centre during the Covid-19 pandemic.
In late July, the borough council submitted formal plans to itself which outlined its intention to knock the site down, with demolition documents indicating the start goal of September 28, and the completion date expected in either November or December this year.

But Gedling planners concluded last week that prior approval of the demolition is required, meaning the council needs to provide extra information on the means of demolition before it can start tearing the structure down.
Documents say “insufficient information” over the means of demolition was put forward, and extra information on the dust management, air pollution, harm prevention of protected species, and an assessment of the risks to surrounding resident properties, is needed.
This means no demolition works can take place at the Richard Herrod site until these are submitted.
Despite the previously-indicated September start date for demolition works, the council’s most recent planning documents say demolition works are planned to start “before the end of August”.
Gedling Borough Council said on Monday (August 17) that this minor planning setback “should not result in any delays to the project”.
A spokesperson said: “Officers continue to work towards demolition commencing as soon as the remaining requirements have been satisfied.
“The next step is for the council, delivery partner and contractor to submit the additional information requested. This includes ecological mitigation information, demolition method statements and environmental management measures.”
They say enabling works and the internal stripping of the centre “continues”, with “significant progress” already made for demolition preparation and that an updated demolition programme is due.
Recently unveiled plans say ‘Carlton Active’ would have a smaller footprint than the current centre and would be built further south on the site.
Drawings revealed the ground floor will include an eight-lane swimming pool, a teaching pool, changing rooms, a café, a soft play area, a community room and a studio with power-assisted equipment and toilets.
Its first floor would house the gym, two studios, changing and toilet facilities and the pool’s spectator area.
However, the ‘Carlton Active’ project has been met with much criticism, after the borough council decided to not include an indoor bowls facility within the new centre.
Such a facility was originally considered in plans, with its removal effectively displacing Gedling Indoor Bowls Club.
Councillor Henry Wheeler (Lab), portfolio holder for lifestyles, health and wellbeing at the council, previously said a six-rink bowls facility in the plans would add between £5.6 million to £7.7 million to capital costs, leaving a yearly subsidy of around £500,000.
Ian Summerscales, a director at the club, previously said the lowest priced relocation option would have cost around £2 million to £3 million to take over an industrial unit, refurbish it and cover bills.




