Police investigating an assault in a taxi in Gunthorpe are appealing for a passing motorist to come forward.
The incident happened on Lowdham Road, around 11pm on Saturday, May 12.
A fight started inside a taxi before it pulled up.
The assault then continued on the roadside. A man sustained a significant facial injury which required hospital treatment.
A spokesman for Nottinghamshire Police said: “We’re are appealing for a passing motorist who stopped and attempted to help, along with any other witnesses, but left before officers arrived. Were you the man who stopped to assist the victim?
If you saw anything or have any other information, please call police on 101 quoting incident number 988 of 12 May, or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
A fish farm in Calverton is continuing to break records for producing healthy fish for re-stocking.
The Environment Agency’s National Coarse Fish Farm plays a vital role in the work of the Environment Agency and its partners to restore, improve and develop sustainable fisheries in England.
In 2017 the fish farm produced 9 tonnes of strong healthy fish, an increase from the 6 tonnes produced in 2016.
Over the 12 months the farm bred more than 350,000 fish, with the average size and quality of each fish increasing on previous years.
In 2017, Calverton Fish Farm also stocked out over 6,000,000 advanced reared larvae back into the wild. Some of these larvae were introduced into waters where natural reproduction has previously been poor. They help to give the resident fish populations a boost to become self-sustainable in the future.
The main reasons for stocking Calverton-bred fish and larvae are: replacing stocks lost to pollution or following habitat or water quality improvements; improving stocks where natural reproduction is low; and helping to create fisheries in areas where there is a shortage of angling opportunities.
Kevin Austin, Environment Agency Deputy Director Agriculture, Fisheries and the Natural Environment said: “The work of Calverton fish farm is funded by income from fishing licence fees so it’s great to see it continuing its work producing the healthy fish needed for recovery and re-stocking.”
Alan Henshaw, Calverton Fish Farm team leader said: “We’ve achieved increases in weight by improving the growing conditions for the fish and by mixing the species up more to find groups that grow well together. Having a highly dedicated and professional team that are producing fish of such high quality is also key to the success of Calverton.
“Our annual production of fish by overall weight has more than doubled since 2013. This is a huge increase and a great achievement on the part of the team. Production of these bigger, stronger, fitter, disease-free fish means that they are better able to cope with life in the wild when we release them.”
When they reached 18 months old, the 358,552 fish produced in 2017 were restocked into rivers, lakes and ponds as part of re-stocking programmes across England.
The fish breeding process is complex and involves the team at Calverton removing the sperm and eggs by hand from the fish. The eggs are laid out in specialist trays and placed inside troughs, where they receive a fresh, temperature controlled water supply. The eggs are incubated for between three and 30 days depending on species and when the eggs have hatched, the larvae are fed with tiny shrimp.
A council has today unveiled its latest deterrent to prevent dangerous and inconsiderate parking outside schools in the borough.
Nottingham County Council’s second CCTV road safety car will officially take to the road today (Tuesday 22)
The car has been put into action to help prevent dangerous and inconsiderate parking outside borough schools which the council says can seriously jeopardise road safety for children and is also a significant source of complaints and requests for parking enforcement.
Councillors agreed to the new car following the high demand for the current vehicle – which has been helping enforce ‘keep clear’ markings outside schools since March 2016
Latest figures show that 1500 penalty charge notices (PCNs) have been issued to motorists since March 2016 , with two-thirds of these (around 1000) PCNs for dangerously and inconsiderately on ‘keep clear’ markings outside schools and a third (500) on bus stops.
Parking which prevents a bus from picking or dropping off at a bus stop can cause congestion behind the bus if it is unable to move. In addition, it prevents passengers with mobility problems or pushchairs getting on or off the bus at the raised kerb edge.
Councillor John Cottee, Chairman of Communities and Place committee said: “This new vehicle is part of our commitment to road safety around schools in the county and will help to address this genuine problems of dangerous or inconsiderate parking in many areas around school drop off and pick up times.
“We are keen to be able to meet the high demand we have had from schools, parents and others in local communities who have got in touch requesting this car to visit their area to help address these issues – so this new vehicle is essential for this as we have more than 330 schools spread across the county
“Today we are also releasing as series of video clips showing examples of the sort of dangerous and inconsiderate parking captured by the current CCTV vehicle in the last few weeks”
Cllr Cottee added: “I must make clear that our purpose in using a car-based enforcement system is not to raise revenue, in fact the existing CCTV car runs at a slight financial deficit for the Council. Our aim is to improve safety and stop dangerous and inconsiderate parking near schools and bus stops, which we know causes a great deal of concern.”
The new vehicle cost £45,000 including the camera and software costs as well as maintenance costs for the first year.
All money generated by the penalty charge notices (PCN) go directly towards paying for the car and ongoing running costs of the equipment, driver and software support. A PCN issued is £70 which is reduced to £35 if paid within 14 days.
A company based in Colwick has received national recognition for its recycling efforts.
Wastecycle, which has its headquarters in Colwick Industrial Estate, won the Waste Transfer and Skip Hire Business of the Year in LetsRecycle.com’s 2018 Excellence in Recycling and Waste Management Awards.
The company, which celebrated its 20th birthday last month, transfers over 500,000 tonnes of commercial waste each year and hires out over 50,000 skips each year.
With over 97% of the waste it handles being recycled, Wastecycle is one of the country’s leading recycling and waste management companies, employing over 320 people at four sites, one in Nottingham and three in Leicester.
DELIGHTED: Countdown host Rachel Riley; Paul Clements of Wastecycle; John Connor of sponsor Turmec; and Steve Eminton Let’s Recycle Editor
The award was presented to Wastecycle’s Commercial Director Paul Clements, at a celebratory lunch at the Landmark Hotel, London.
“I know it’s a cliché, but we are delighted to have won the LetsRecycle.com award for Waste Transfer and Skip Hire Business of the Year.
“Everyone at Wastecycle works incredibly hard to do the best job we can for our customers and to ensure we provide a high-quality service,” said Paul. “Helping people reduce their waste, reuse it where possible and recycle as much of it as we can is a real passion for Wastecycle, and it’s fantastic when your efforts are recognised.”
Now in their 14th year, the Awards, which are organised by industry website, letsrecycle.com reward innovation, dedication and success within the waste and recycling industry.
As well as the 2018 Excellence in Recycling and Waste Management Awards, Wastecycle is also a finalist at the prestigious National Recycling Awards in two categories – Health and Safety Initiative and Recycling Facility of the Year. Wastecycle will find out if they have won the top prize in either of these categories in June.
For more information about Wastecycle, please visit www.wastecycle.co.uk
Police are appealing for information after a JCB was stolen in Calverton last week.
The vehicle was stolen from a timber yard on Mansfield Lane between 17:45 and 18:20 hours on May 11, 2018
In the process damage has been caused to another vehicle on the property and the metal gates.
A spokesman for Nottinghamshire Police said: “It is believed that the JCB has possible been driven onto a type of low loader vehicle to ensure a quick getaway.
He added: “It is believed the offenders were wearing orange work style trousers.”
Were you in the area at the time and saw the JCB? Did you see a low loader style vehicle parked on or around Mansfield Lane?
If you have any information regarding this incident please call the control room on 101 quoting incident number 766-11052018. Alternatively you can report information anonymously via the Crimestoppers website.
There’s a right Royal party happening this weekend in parts of the borough.
Three streets have requested to close on Saturday to allow people to celebrate the marriage of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle at Windsor Castle in style.
They’ll also be providing organisers with traffic signs for use on the day of the celebrations. Highways staff will deliver signs to a pre-arranged address and collect them afterwards.
Councillor Kay Cutts, Leader of Nottinghamshire County Council, said: “I am delighted that we have been able to play our part in making it easier for communities to hold street parties by waiving the usual fees.”
Street closures on Saturday:
• Grange Road – Woodthorpe
• Barden Road – Woodthorpe
• St Helens Grove – Burton Joyce
A man from Calverton who suffered a major stoke at just 33 years old has praised his newborn baby for saving his life.
Lance Leivers, who is sharing his story as part of Stroke Awareness Month, was looking forward to meeting his new baby as his wife, Lizi, went into labour with their first child.
However, Lance then suffered a major stroke while his baby was being delivered on the labour ward.
Lance said: “I don’t remember feeling any different before the stroke happened,”
“I was in the labour ward with Lizi and she asked me to take off her glasses but I couldn’t remember how to take them off.
“My speech became distorted, I was ‘speaking jibberish’ and I became very confused. I felt weakness on my right side and I started to vomit within ten minutes of the symptoms.”
Lizi’s midwife immediately recognised the symptoms of a stroke and called for help and Lance was immediately taken to City Hospital.
PICTURED: Lance with wife Linzi and their baby sonPICTURED: Lance with Occupational Therapist Michelle
Lance continued: ” I spent a day in hospital and had to return for further scans the following day.
“I started to regain strength in my arms and I was able to walk with supervision. However, my speech didn’t fully recover and I found it difficult to think of the right words to say.
“I also found that I was using objects inappropriately and the day after my stroke, as I washed and got dressed, I attempted to put deodorant in my mouth until my dad stopped me.”
“Initially, I couldn’t pick up or hold a pen. I was unable to write and my reading was slower. I also had difficulty recognising letters, which made spelling very difficult and I had difficulty dialling numbers on my phone.
Lance is now being supported by Nottinghamshire Healthcare’s Community Stroke Team who visit him 2 to 3 times a week at home.
The team’s occupational therapist, Michelle is one of the people caring for Lance.
She said: “Lance couldn’t use his upper arm even though the power had returned. This was because of a condition common after stroke called ‘apraxia’, a cognitive difficulty which can cause a person to have difficulty performing a motor task, such as shaving or writing, on command.
“We worked with Lance to improve the function in his arm and to re-learn how to use it in daily tasks, improving his thinking skills and support with returning to work.”
A speech and language therapist also worked with Lance to improve his ability to spell again and write notes to dictation which is important for his work.
His wife, Lizi, has also found the situation difficult to cope with.
She said: “Lance’s recovery has amazed me but it’s been hard at times because of when the stroke occurred and having a new baby to look after. However, I feel the Community Stroke Team has given him more confidence. I sometimes forget that he’s had a stroke.”
Although there is an increased risk of having a further stroke Lance doesn’t try to invest too much time thinking about it. His focus is on making a full recovery within a year’s time.
Before the stroke, Lance was self-employed manufacturing and supplying concrete. He loved snowboarding and skateboarding and had even built a full ramp in his garden.
He added: “I’m now able to drive my car but cannot drive the lorry at work for year so I am relying on my colleagues for now.
“I’m back to skateboarding but I’ve found that I’m slower to react with less speed and I can’t do some of the moves I used to do.
“My next goal is to get back on the snowboard because I now have a son to train up in the coming years and I will be brushing up on my skills I learnt as a qualified instructor. I also want to get back in the surf as soon as possible.
Lance and wife Lizi now credit their newborn son with saving is life.
Lance said: “Looking at it positively, we both see our baby as having saved my life because we were already at the hospital and the midwife recognised the signs immediately.”
There are more than 100,000 strokes in the UK each year with around one in four strokes happening to people of working age.
A bathing spot in Colwick has been rated ‘excellent’ ahead of the 2018 summer season.
West Lake in Colwick Country Park has been given the thumbs-up by the Environment Agency ahead of the bathing water season – which begins this week.
Water samples taken over the last few weeks show the water quality at the venue to be excellent.
The Environment Agency tests water quality at every official bathing water site to ensure it is maintained and improved.
Last year, water quality remained high with 98.3% of bathing waters in England meeting the tough standards. 92% of these locations achieved the top rating of Excellent or Good.
Bathers can check out the water quality at their nearest bathing water spot by visiting the Environment Agency’s online map at the Bathing Water Data Explorer website.
During the bathing water season environment officers will take up to 20 samples at each location, from now until the end of September. The samples are then tested in Environment Agency labs for cleanliness and rated.
Helen Wakeham, deputy director of water quality at the Environment Agency, said: “Water quality tests are published online, me and my family will certainly be searching the online map before heading off to enjoy time at the beach this summer.”
Police have today issued CCTV images and footage featuring a group of men they want to speak to following a series of car key burglaries across the area- including one in Mapperley
A number of police forces from across the Midlands and Yorkshire are working together targeting car key burglaries.
Properties in Sherwood and Sherwood were also among those targeted.
In each incident suspects have broken into homes to steal car keys before taking vehicles from drives.
The video clip issued today shows men peering through the downstairs window of a home in Caunton.
The incident took place at around 2pm on April 30 .
The men, filmed from a camera within the property, hide their faces after realising they’d been caught on camera. Nothing was taken from the address.
Nottinghamshire Police is working closely with Derbyshire Police, Lincolnshire Police, South Yorkshire Police and North Yorkshire Police to identify offenders and bring them to justice as part of ‘Operation Ignite’.
The joint operation follows the creation of two new dedicated Nottinghamshire Police burglary teams which are concentrating their efforts on tackling and reducing burglary in the city and county.
Detective Inspector Steve Wragg, who leads the county burglary team, said: “We’re appealing to the public to help us identify those involved in a large number of car key burglaries and associated burglaries.
“We’ve identified 12 burglaries in Nottinghamshire which we’re connecting and which have been captured under the heading of Operation Ignite.
“Operation Ignite does identify that offences have been committed by the same organised crime group across Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire, Lincolnshire, South Yorkshire and North Yorkshire.
“It’s very likely that the persons pictured with this appeal do not live in Nottinghamshire but are more likely to live in one of our surrounding Force areas.”
DI Wragg added: “We’re asking the public to be vigilant as we know the vast majority of burglaries are preventable as they are often opportunistic.
“Make sure your front and back doors and windows are locked even when you’re in and never leave your car keys on show through a window when not using them.
Do not leave them in locks, on the window ledges or kitchen/hall tables and never on a hook behind the door or in reach of a letterbox or cat flap.
“If possible park your vehicle in a garage. If you have to park it on your driveway or on the street, consider using additional security devices, make sure the area is well lit, ensure the vehicle is secure and that nothing of value is left in it – such as tools, laptops, or money.
“If you have gates securing your driveway area make sure you keep them closed and locked.”
We’re urging anyone who recognises any of the people in our CCTV pictures and clip to call us on 101 (quoting incident number 405 of 30 April for the Caunton incident) or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
More than 500 visitors flocked to Nottinghamshire Hospice’s new Community Shop in Sherwood on Saturday, opened by Nottingham’s Official Robin Hood, Tim Pollard.
Cutting the ribbon, Tim, who has personal links with the hospice, said: “My late wife Sal was really helped by the hospice and they are helping me and our family still. So when you come here to buy or donate stuff you are doing good for a lot of other people who really appreciate your help even though you may not know it – and I can say that from the heart because I’m one of them.”
Shoppers browsed the extensive vinyl collection, span discs in the retro 70s listening booth and stepped back in time to try on vintage clothing in Dr Who’s Tardis – regenerated as a changing room.
The Doctor himself also turned up with companions.
He said: “We’ve come to check the Tardis has been decommissioned properly. We can recommission it at any time however.”
The shop, which moved to its new premises from a smaller location across the road, did a roaring trade all day, and attracted 20 potential new volunteers.
Customer Medik Johnson, who came from Chilwell for the opening, said: “I think it’s a very attractive space, very well organised and the staff are lovely.“
Penny Cooper, Area Retail Manager for Nottinghamshire Hospice says: “It was buzzing all day. People were intrigued by the Tardis and loved the layout of the shop and said it was a really good atmosphere.
“We exceeded expectations and took more than £1,700 on our first day.”
The Sherwood shop is one of nine shops across Nottinghamshire which bring in more than £1 million annually to benefit people with a terminal or life-limiting illness.