Home Blog Page 835

Gedling Gala set to return after two-year absence

0

A historic gala is set to be staged for the first time in almost two years this weekend after a new team of volunteers took over the event and restored it to the borough’s  calendar.

The Gedling Gala has been held every summer in Willow Park since 1977 and attracts on average 2,500 visitors for each event.

The previous committee who had organised the event for the past forty years decided it was time to move on and hand over the reigns to the next generation of organisers – this resulted in a gap, with no event taking place in 2017.

But now the event is returning on July 7 and promises to be bigger and better than ever.

PICTURED: People enjoy the first Gedling Village Family Gala back in 1977 (PICTURE: Bill Fenton)

This year’s event will again take place on Willow Park between 12pm-4.30pm – and will be officially opened by the Mayor of Gedling at 1pm.

There will be entertainment in the Arena and the Music Marquee as well as stalls, bouncy castle, children’s activities, food, ice cream and much more.  

This year’s Gala will have a heroes theme – with a fancy dress parade taking place at 2pm giving children and adults dressed as their favourite superheroes the chance to win prizes.

Entry to the Gedling Gala  will be free. 

You can find out more details on the Gala website www.gedling-gala.org.uk or find us on Facebook.

Explosion reported at Colwick Industrial Estate

1

A man has been hospitalised following an explosion on Colwick Industrial Estate earlier today.

Nottinghamshire Police confirmed they had been made aware of an incident this morning (Wednesday, June 27).

Firefighters say they were called to an incident on Road Number 7 just before 9am.

The spokesman for Nottinghamshire Police confirmed: “A man has been taken to hospital”

PICTURED: Firefighters on the scene at Colwick Industrial Park (PICTURE: Alltruck2)
PICTURED: Staff from several businesses are evacuated
PICTURED: Firefighters at the scene of the explosion (Picture supplied by Alltruck2)

Staff at nearby Alltruck2 heard the explosion and were one of the businesses to be evacuated.

Kieran Matthews, Alltruck’s digital marketing executive said: “I was working in the office, so only heard a bang but didn’t think much of it. Working in an industrial estate you get used to these sort of noises, however not long after that we got evacuated from the building.”

Alltruck2’s repair technician, Kevin Sarsfield told Gedling Eye: “I was working and heard a loud bang and felt the ground shake, and then half an hour later we were evacuated.”

A spokesman for Nottingham Fire and Rescue said: “A gas cylinder was being vented and that was involved in fire; it then spread to 10 other gas cylinders.”

Severn Trent issues heatwave water supply warning to people in Gedling borough

Severn Trent is urging people in the borough to be more sparing with their water use to avoid a shortage during the summer heatwave.

Customers are being advised to avoid taking baths and washing their cars during the scorching temperatures.

Severn Trent confirmed that, while it always expects to see an increase in demand for water, usage has been significantly more than normal.

They have said that customers are using millions of litres more water every single day as they enjoy the sun and high temperatures.

The company is now asking customers to use water carefully, to help avoid any issues with pressures dropping during peak demand in the mornings and evenings.

Severn Trent has confirmed that they have plenty of water stored and reservoir levels are healthy. That water however, then needs to be treated through its treatment works before being pumped into supply.

As fast as it is being produced and put into supply, it is being used by customers which can cause isolated areas of low pressure for people.

The company has increased its production capacity by millions of extra litres a day, but it’s also asking to customers to be neighbourly and help to use their water carefully to try and prevent low pressure for their communities.

They are specifically asking people to:

1.     Put their garden sprinklers away – a sprinkler can use as much as 1,000 litres of drinking water in just one hour – which is more water than a family of four would normally use in a whole day

2.    Take a shower rather than a bath – It uses 40 litres less water and it’s quicker, which means you can get back out and enjoy the sunshine

3.    Avoid washing their cars, but if they have to use a bucket and sponge rather than a hose. If you clean your car for 30 minutes you’ll use 50 times less water with a bucket instead of a hose

Water efficiency manager, Doug Clarke explained, “Demand for water is massively up thanks to several weeks of extremely hot weather.

“While we have lots of water available and our reservoir levels are healthy and we’re putting millions of extra litres of water into the system, people are using water as fast as we can treat and pump it into supply. This is particularly the case during peak demand in the morning and evenings when we want to ask customers to restrict their supply so we can avoid areas of low pressure.

“We know how tempting it is to fill the paddling pool up, or get the sprinkler going, but to put things into perspective, a sprinkler can use as much as 1,000 litres of drinking water in just one hour.

He added: “We urge everyone to play their part and be extra careful with their water, especially during peak times.”

Police warn Gedling borough residents not to fall victim to ‘courier fraud’ after rise in reports

0

Police are warning residents in Gedling borough not to fall foul of “courier fraud” after a rise in reports across the area.

Courier fraud is when the offender cold calls the victim posing as an official such as a police officer or a member of a bank’s fraud team.

They will instruct the victim to go to their bank and withdraw money. The offender will claim that they are investigating staff at the bank that they need the victim’s help in some kind of undercover operation and they need the victim to withdraw money so that it can be examined.

During these recent incidents the fraudsters have been using the following reasons for victims to withdraw cash:

– Some money has been removed from a victim’s bank account and staff at their local bank branch are responsible.

– Suspects have already been arrested but the “police” need money for evidence.

– A business such as a jewellers or currency exchange is operating fraudulently and they require assistance to help secure evidence.

A spokesman for Action Fraud said: “Victims are then asked to cooperate in an investigation by attending their bank and withdrawing money, withdrawing foreign currency from an exchange or purchasing an expensive item to hand over to a courier for examination who will also be a fraudster. Again, to reassure the victim, a safe word might be communicated to the victim so the courier appears genuine.

“At the time of handover, unsuspecting victims are promised the money they’ve handed over or spent will be reimbursed but in reality there is no further contact and the money is never seen again.”

Fraud-busters Action Fraud has now issued the following advice to help people protect themselves from this fraud:

Protect Yourself

Your bank or the police will never:

– Phone and ask you for your PIN or full banking password.

– Ask you to withdraw money to hand over to them for safe-keeping, or send someone to your home to collect cash, PIN, cards or cheque books if you are a victim of fraud.

Don’t assume an email or phone call is authentic
Just because someone knows your basic details (such as your name and address or even your mother’s maiden name), it doesn’t mean they are genuine. Be mindful of who you trust – criminals may try and trick you into their confidence by telling you that you’ve been a victim of fraud

Stay in control

If something feels wrong then it is usually right to question it. Have the confidence to refuse unusual requests for personal or financial information.

For more information about how to protect yourself online visit

www.cyberaware.gov.uk  and www.takefive.stopfraud.org.uk

Talented athlete from Gedling raises over £1200 for his Special Olympics team

A talented young athlete from Gedling has raised over £1200 to help fund the use of a coach and also new kits for his Special Olympics team.

Mile Green (pictured, above, left) held a fundraising barbecue over the weekend to help fund kits and transport for his team representing the region at the forthcoming Special Olympics.

The event, which took place at Greyfriars club in St Ann’s, raised £1290 in total.

PICTURED: Stirling University will be hosting the Anniversary Games in August

Miles Green is part of the 27-strong team from Special Olympics East Midlands who will be competing against other teams in athletic events, football, badminton and table tennis at the Special Olympics GB Anniversary Games in Stirling from August 13.

The Anniversary Games will celebrate both Special Olympics GB’s 40th birthday (SOGB was founded in 1978) and also the 50th birthday of the worldwide Special Olympics global movement, set up in 1968 by President Kennedy’s sister Eunice Kennedy Shriver.

The Games will involve approximately 1,000 athletes and 400 coaches and officials.  As well as athletes from all GB Regions, a number of European countries will be invited to take part in the Games.

‘Red bag’ scheme wins praise from Carlton care home

A scheme which aims to make transferring care home residents to hospitals in an emergency quicker has won praise from a care home in Carlton.

The hospital transfer pathway, or ‘red bag’ scheme, which was introduced in October 2017, sees care home staff pack a dedicated red bag if they become unwell and require hospital treatment.

The bag includes the resident’s standardised paperwork and their medication, as well as their personal items and an outfit for when they are discharged.

It ensures ambulance and hospital staff can quickly understand a resident’s condition and personal needs, and it also ensure a smooth transfer back to their ‘home’ environment.

When they leave hospital, the red bag goes back to the care home with them and has a copy of their discharge summary inside, giving the care home staff all the information they need about the treatment the resident has received and any new medication regime that may need to be implemented.

The initiative has been shown to reduce hospital delays, help stop patients losing personal items and improve communication between care home and hospital staff.

Jayne Peters,  care home manager at Moriah House in Carlton, was full of praise for the scheme.

She said: “At Moriah, we have found the Red Bag really useful because it keeps everything in one place. We have received fewer phone calls about our residents since starting to use the bags as all the information the hospital needs is with them when they arrive.”

Red_Bag_Carlton
PRAISE: A care home in Carlton has judged the ‘red bag’ scheme a success

Jane Godden, head of Commissioning Care Homes and Individual Care Packages at Greater Nottingham Clinical Commissioning Partnership, said: “The red bag scheme is a simple idea which is making a positive impact in Greater Nottingham.

It is helping to improve care for patients from care homes by ensuring that ambulance and hospital staff can easily access the information about their general health, existing conditions and medication they are taking, and any current health concerns. This helps healthcare staff to effectively determine the treatment the patient needs.

“As well as containing paperwork and medication, the red bag lets patients store important personal items like toiletries, glasses and hearing aids. They can also use it to store clothes for when they are discharged from the hospital.

“We implemented the scheme in Greater Nottingham in October 2017 alongside training for care home staff. I am pleased that it is making a positive impact on care home patients.”

The scheme has proved so successful that it’s been rolled out across the country with the help of a new quick guide published on the NHS England website.

The guide will provide care homes, trusts, CCGs and ambulance services with practical tips on how to implement the scheme.

Dr Ken Deacon, Medical Director for NHS England (North Midlands), said: “The red bag scheme is a really practical way of NHS and social care services working together to improve patient care for elderly people and speed up their discharge from hospital when they are ready to return to the more relaxed setting of a care home.”

Man from Arnold charged with drug and assault offences

0

A man from Arnold has been charged with a number of drug and assault offences after police were called to reports of an assault in Arnold on Sunday (June 24).

It happened in Ravenswood Road at around 9pm. Officers found a small cannabis grow at the scene.

Steven Elvidge, 44, of Ravenswood Road in Arnold, was arrested at the scene and has subsequently been charged with wounding with intent, threats to kill, criminal damage, assault by beating, possession of a knife, production of cannabis and possession with intent to supply cannabis.

He’s been remanded in custody to appear at Nottingham Crown Court on 24 July.

Arnold man arrested in connection with drug and assault offences

0

A man from Arnold has been arrested on suspicion of a number of drug and assault offences.

Officers from Nottinghamshire Police were called to reports of an assault in Ravenswood Road at around 9pm yesterday (Sunday, June 24).

While at the scene, officers found a small cannabis grow.

A 44-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of possession of class b drugs, production of cannabis, grievous bodily harm and common assault.

The man was further arrested for criminal damage and threats to kill while in custody where he remains.

Robinson’s Butchers in Netherfield to close after more than 54 years in the town

15

A butcher’s shop that has been trading in Netherfield since the 1960s will close its doors for the final time at the end of the month.

Robinson’s Butchers has been selling meat to people in the town since 1964.

Robinsons_Butchers_Netherfield

A sign has now appeared on the shop front explaining the reasons for the butchers closing, with the last day being Saturday, June 30.

The owner of the butcher shop, Mick Robinson, has said that supermarket prices were to blame for having to take the decision to close the business.

NOTICE: Sign gives reasons for traditional butcher shop in Victoria road closing

On the notice in the window to customers, he wrote: ” We have been beaten at last by the mighty supermarket chains, which unfortunately the majority of our former customers now prefer to use”

“Every one of us [working at the shop] are master butchers, which you don’t find anymore, but we find ourselves not wanted in the modern world.

“We now are within a mile of four or five of the supermarket giants.”

Despite the closure of the butcher side of the business, the popular takeaway food outlet based at the site will continue to trade.

The statement continued: “Karl, my son, will carry on the name in Netherfield with his takeaway foods and will be expanding the range on offer. Karl will also be growing his outside catering business which includes his mouthwatering hog roasts, which he is excellent at.”

  • What are your thoughts about the closure of Robinson’s butchers? Let us know in the comments section below or via our Facebook page

Warning from firefighters after shed blaze in Mapperley Park

A safety warning has been issued to people in Gedling borough this summer as the barbecue and garden bonfire season sparks into life

Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue service want those planning a barbecue or bonfire to think before they act, because the recipe for summer isn’t sun or sand – it’s safety.

Last month, firefighters from London Road attended a fire in the garden of a property in Mapperley Park, where a shed was well alight.

This fire was the result of a bonfire being lit too close to the shed, and crews used one hose reel to put the fire out.

Crew Manager Mark Woolnough from Red Watch at London Road Fire Station, said: “This fire could have been a lot worse, as it had already started to damage parts of the house, but luckily nobody was injured.

“Unfortunately, because of the positioning of the bonfire and its spread, the shed was severely damaged, and this acts as an important reminder to think about where you are lighting a barbeque or bonfire, and we would always advise to make sure that this is well away from property, trees, and outbuildings.

“It’s also important to never leave a bonfire or barbeque unattended, as when attention stops, fire starts.”

To make sure you have a safe summer, here are some of our top garden fire safety tips:

  • Never use petrol or paraffin to light a bonfire.
  • Keep a bucket of water close by in case of an emergency.
  • Keep pets and children away from bonfires and barbeques.
  • Always light bonfires and place barbeques a safe distance from property, outbuildings, trees and hedges.
  • Never leave barbeques or bonfires unattended and check they are fully extinguished before going inside.