Home Blog Page 832

Hair salon in Arnold cuts out competition to make it through to awards final

An Arnold hair salon is celebrating after cutting out the competition to make it through to the finals of the 2018 British Hairdressing Business Awards

The team at KH Hair in Arnold has been shortlisted for the Front of House Team of the Year Award and salon director, Dawn Bramhall, couldn’t be happier.

She said: “For 33 years we have always strived to provide excellent and consistent customer service.

“Our front of house team delivers a unique blend of professionalism mixed with that perfect personal touch and they never fail to make our clients feel welcome and at ease on arrival, and relaxed and fabulous when they leave the salon.

“We firmly believe having a first-class front of house provision sets us apart from other salons in our area and we are thrilled our commitment has been recognised.”

The awards, hosted by Hairdressers Journal International (HJI), celebrate the very best salon businesses, recognising and rewarding the creative talents of individuals and teams across the UK.

Darren Messias, joint managing director of the KH Hair Group, said: “We’re thrilled to be going to the finals again this year. Huge congratulations go to Dawn and everyone involved.”

The awards ceremony will take place in London on 17 September.

Shoppers in Gedling borough warned over scam Argos texts offering credit card refund

Shoppers in Gedling borough are being warned about a new scam where fake text messages are being sent claiming a credit card refund is due from Argos.

The link in the messages, which have been sent to people across the borough, lead to phishing websites designed to steal your personal information, as well as payment details.

The text messages read: “Your Argos credit card has a refund of £270 from an over payment.”

Then it asks you to follow a link in order to get the money back.

The texts look even more convincing when they come through on the same thread that genuine messages from the store have previously come through on.

A spokesman for Action Fraud said: “Always question unsolicited requests for your personal or financial information in case it’s a scam. Never automatically click on a link in an unexpected email or text.”

Action Fraud issued the warning as part of a new awareness campaign called #PhishyFridays where they call out the dodgy scams each Friday.

Elderly in Arnold being targeted by scammers pretending to be HMRC

0

Organised phone thieves are targeting pensioners in Arnold by pretending to be HMRC or the tax man and demanding hundreds of pounds from their victims.

The scam has been highlighted after a rise in reports of calls to elderly and vulnerable residents in the Arnold area which has prompted police to issue an alert.

The callers are telling victims they owe money from 20 or more years ago and that unless they pay an amount of money to the caller, they will be taken to court and will have to pay a substantial amount more.

cold-caller

A spokesman for Nottinghamshire Police said: “Can we please remind residents that the HMRC and other Government Departments would not contact you by telephone and ask for money that is owed to them or, threaten you with court action.

“If you get a call like this, please don’t pay anything upfront. Take steps to verify the caller, ask if you can phone them back on a known number, for example or request proof in writing. If you’re unsure, you can always contact HMRC and ask their advice or call us on 101.

They added: “Please ensure that your elderly and vulnerable loved ones are made aware so we can help to put a stop to this fraud and prevent more victims being taken advantage of.”

New £655,000 cycle network in Carlton and Gedling will help ‘reduce local congestion and improve air quality’

2

A £655,000 network of proposed new cycle routes for Carlton and Gedling could help “reduce local congestion and improve air quality”.

Nottinghamshire County Council want residents in the area to have their say on the new plans and choose from 11 new routes being proposed, with those selected being built in October.

With the total budget for the scheme being £665,000, not all of the 11 schemes can be constructed.

The routes have been designed by Via East Midlands, on behalf of Nottinghamshire County Council, and members of the Via team will be on hand at two planned consultation events taking place this week and next to discuss these plans and answer any questions.

The events will be held at the following locations and dates:
• Saturday, July 7, Brookfields Garden Centre, Mapperley Plains, 10am-2pm
• Monday, July 9, Carlton Library, Manor Road, 3-7pm

PLAN: One of the proposed routes on Spring Lane in Gedling (Nottinghamshire County Council)

The proposed 11 new routes are at: Spring Lane, Mapperley Plains, Darlton Drive, Arno Vale Link, Cavendish Road, Conway Road to Burton Road, Southdale Road, Foxhill Road Central, Kendrick Road, Gedling Road, Shelford Road

Councillor John Cottee, Chairman of Nottinghamshire County Council’s communities and place committee has welcomed the consultations.

He said: “We want to hear from Gedling and Carlton residents to help us with our plans for a new cycle network.

“It’s vital that those who will use and benefit from the cycle network have their say in the final decision on which of these 11 new cycle routes will be constructed.

(PICTURE CREDIT: Deposit Photos)

“We hope this new cycle network will also inspire more local residents of all ages to get out and about on their bikes, helping them to keep fit and healthy by cycling in the great Nottinghamshire outdoors. Afterall, our county is hosting the penultimate stage of the Tour of Britain this September, which we also hope will inspire more people to cycle.

“The new cycle network will aim to reduce local congestion and improve air quality by providing cyclists with safer, quicker and more connected routes within the town. And for those who don’t currently cycle, we hope that this significant improvement to the current choice of cycle lanes will make getting on a bike to work a more viable and attractive option.”

The work is due to begin later this year: www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/carltoncycle

The public consultation period will run to July 27, 2018.

CCTV plea after three cars and bank cards stolen in Woodthorpe

Police have released CCTV images and appealed for information after three Mazda cars and a number of bank cards were stolen from a property in Woodthorpe.

The incident took place on The Crescent between 11pm on  June 5 and 5.15am on June 6.

Three Mazda cars were stolen during the burglary and bank cards and other items were taken.

A Nottinghamshire Police spokesperson said: “We’d like to speak to these men in connection with a burglary.

“We appreciate the CCTV images are not of the best quality but we’re hoping someone might be able to recognise these men, one of whom was wearing a distinctive all grey tracksuit with Nike embossed on the bottoms and top.

“If you recognise any of the men pictured or think you can help please call us on 101 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111, quoting incident number 95 of 6 June 2018.”

Man who had heart attack on wedding anniversary thanks Carlton ambulance driver who helped save his life

A patient who suffered a heart attack on his wedding anniversary almost exactly two years ago has thanked an ambulance driver from Carlton who helped save his life.

Mark Alliott, 51, from Long Eaton, was at home at around 5.30pm on June 24, 2016, when he began to suffer central chest pain.

Mark’s wife, Janet, called for an ambulance at 6.08pm as she was concerned about him, and ambulance technician Michael Hoy from Carlton arrived in an ambulance car just seven minutes later to start treatment.

Technicians Beverly Porteus and Rachel Roe from Willow Row arrived shortly afterwards in a crewed ambulance to take Mark to hospital, but he was adamant that he did not want to go as he wanted to spend the evening at home with his wife and family.

After some convincing, Mark was taken to Royal Derby Hospital on blue lights and sirens where he had three stents fitted in his heart and spent the next five days in hospital.

Mick_Carlton_ambulance
PICTURED: Mark Alliott, 51, from Long Eaton, with ambulance technician Michael Hoy from Carlton

Mark has since had an internal defibrillator fitted, which has hopefully increased his life expectancy from years to decades, and he has now met Mick, Beverly and Rachel at Stapleford Ambulance Station.

He said: “I have been looking for Mick and the crew ever since, because I wanted to say thank you.

“Now my family and I have finally got the chance to say thank you.”

Mark, his family and his friends  have raised funds for the cardiology unit at Royal Derby Hospital and have now decided to take on Sober October in the autumn to raise additional money for EMAS.

Summer Fair in Mapperley raises record total for Nottinghamshire Hospice

0

This year’s summer fair at Nottinghamshire Hospice raised a record-breaking £5,000 for the Mapperley-based charity.

Visitors turned out in their droves to the event held in the picturesque grounds of Nottinghamshire Hospice.

More than 400 people attended and helped raise a record £5,000 – exceeding last year’s total by nearly £2,000.

Visitors enjoyed cool pimms, prosecco and live music while soaking up the sun or sitting in the shade of the historic copper beech. There was something for everyone, from face painting and garden games to craft stalls, burgers and vegan snacks.

Penny Cooper, head of retail at Nottinghamshire Hospice, said: “The summer fair is growing in popularity. A lot of our fairs are frequented by our regular supporters but this one attracted other members of the public too. People came to enjoy the grounds and the atmosphere created by a live band, barbecue and bar.

“Later in the summer we have our dog show on 26th August, so get your pooches primed and preened for the occasion!”

All proceeds from the summer fair and other hospice events go towards providing palliative care and day therapy services for people with terminal conditions in their last year of life.

The hospice will throw open its gates again on Sunday 5 August for its Open Garden day, running from 1pm to 4pm on Sunday 5 August at Nottinghamshire Hospice, 384 Woodborough Road, Nottingham, NG3 4JF. Entry £3 to adults, children free.

Netherfield supermarket now stocking cheese infused with ‘world’s hottest chilli’

0

A supermarket in Netherfield is selling a new cheese made from the world’s hottest chilli.

Morrisons’s Reaper Chilli Cheddar has been created using the Carolina Reaper – a chilli which is 300 times hotter than a Jalapeno and Tabasco sauce.

The chain, which has a store on Victoria Retail Park – is now selling its new chedder for £1.50, which gets you a 120g serving.

The Reaper Chilli Cheddar is available over-the-counter at Morrisons Market Street Deli stores for a limited time only – although it could become a permanent offer if it’s popular with customers.

PHOTO: Morrisons
PHOTO: Morrisons

But the new cheese isn’t for the faint-hearted, and customers will be warned about the product’s extreme hotness before being handed their order.

The supermarket chain says the cheese was launched in time for the BBQ season to satisfy customers who like their burgers with a kick.

Daniel Barrett, Deli Cheese Buyer at Morrisons, said: “Some customers have told us that they’d love us to sell more really hot foods.

“So they’ve increasingly been buying cheddars with chilli in and this is the hottest we’ve ever served. So we advise handling – and tasting – with care!”

According to the Guinness World Records, the Carolina Reaper is the world’s hottest chilli with an average heat level of 1,569,300 Scoville Heat Units (SHU) – although the hottest ever recorded was 2.2 million SHU. A Jalapeño chilli registers only 5,000 SHU on average.

Teenager dies after being found in Colwick Park lake

0

A teenager found in Colwick Park lake earlier this afternoon has died.

There were reports that a 16-year-old boy had gone into the water off River Road, in Colwick but not resurfaced at around 2.05pm today (July 4).

The teenager was found more than an hour later following a major search operation which involved the underwater dive team, fire, ambulance and helicopter crews.

He was taken to the Queen’s Medical Centre but sadly pronounced dead just after 4pm.

A police spokesman said: “Our thoughts are with his family at this time.”.

Police appeal after criminal damage to vehicle in Arnold

0

Gedling Police have issued pictures of a woman they’d like to speak to following criminal damage caused to a van in Arnold.

The incident happened on Redhill Road at about 9.20pm on Friday, June 22 2018.

She is described as being mixed race with black hair and was wearing a black top and light blue jeans.

A Nottinghamshire Police spokesperson said: “We appreciate the CCTV images are not of the best quality but we’re hoping someone might be able to recognise this girl. Someone out there will know who she is.

“If you recognise her or think you can help, please call us on 101 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111, quoting incident number 1031 of 22 June 2018.”