Home Blog Page 791

Gedling Borough Council leaders and MP Vernon Coaker say they are ‘shocked and appalled’ by killing of Jayden Moodie

0

Leaders at Gedling Borough Council and Gedling MP Vernon Coaker have again called on the Government to step up efforts to tackle knife crime after a boy from Arnold was killed in London earlier this week.

The former Redhill Academy pupil was stabbed to death in Leyton during what police described as “a targeted attack” at 6.30pm on Tuesday, January 8.

In the statement released today, Cllr. John Clarke, Leader of Gedling Borough Council; Cllr. Michael Payne, Deputy Leader of Gedling Borough Council and Vernon Coaker, Member of Parliament for Gedling said they would continue to work with Nottinghamshire Police to tackle youth violence.

In the statement they said: “We are shocked and appalled by the tragic murder of 14 year old Jayden Moodie.

“We offer our sincere and heartfelt condolences to Jayden’s family and friends. We will provide whatever support is necessary at this difficult time.

“This tragic incident in London has once again highlighted the devastating impact of knife crime.

“Here in Gedling we will continue to support Nottinghamshire Police in their efforts to tackle knife crime and youth violence. Prior to Christmas we arranged to meet with senior representatives from Nottinghamshire Police with a view to providing additional council funding for their ongoing preventative work in local schools and with our young people to help tackle knife and youth crime.

“We will be making a further announcement on this after our meeting with police colleagues in less than two weeks’ time.

“The Government must also urgently act to step up efforts on tackling the issues of knife crime and youth violence. This must include providing whatever additional resources and support are necessary for policing, education, youth work, community organisations and social services.”

Gedling charity appeals for information after gates and fences are damaged by vehicle

A charity in Gedling is appealing for information after a large vehicle caused damage to their fence and gates.

Owners of the Gedling Play Forum discovered the damage to their property on Wollaton Avenue when they returned from their Christmas break.

As well as damage to the fence, 3 of the 4 supporting brackets on their gate was also left broken.

PICTURED: Damage to the gates at the Forum’s premises on Wollaton Avenue (PICTURE: Gedling Play Forum)

The charity will now be forced to dig deep to pay for the repairs.


A spokesman from Gedling Play Forum told Gedling Eye: “We have reported it to police and Gedling Borough Council are also checking their CCTV too.

“We share the car park with Phoenix Farm Methodist Church so it effects them too. They have generously offered to pay part of repairs.

Anyone with information can contact police on 101 quoting incident number, 209/08012019

Here’s how to make sure you see all Gedling Eye stories first on Facebook

Did you know that you could be missing out on loads of amazing stories from across Gedling borough on Facebook – even if you like our page!

Facebook’s recent changes to their algorithm means you now don’t see posts in chronological order – and some posts might not even be seen at all

There is an easy way round this, though to make sure you see all of our content first.

Follow these simple steps and you’ll never miss a big story again. 

On mobile 

1.Go to the Gedling Eye Facebook page

2. Click the ‘…’ button  at the top of the page

3. Click ‘Following’

4. Select ‘See First’

On your computer  

1. Go to the Gedling Eye Facebook page

2. Click button that says ‘Following’ at the top of the page

3. Select the ‘See First’ option from the drop-down menu

Once this is done, you’ll never miss one of our stories again.


Family of four can eat for just £10 with café deal at Netherfield supermarket

Feeling the pinch this January? Well, help is at hand as a Netherfield supermarket has launched a deal that could lend a helping hand.

Morrisons Cafe has just introduced a new deal that will see families of four enjoy food and drink for just £10.

The deal is available until February 3 in all of the supermarket’s cafes and includes four mains, four drinks and two pieces of fruit – giving families on a budget the opportunity to dine out.

(IMAGE: Morrisons)

The adults in the party can choose from a range of popular meals from the recently updated menu including hand-battered fish and chips, freshly prepared chicken and avocado salad or the Morrisons Makes it Burger which is handmade by butchers in store, as well as drinks such as soft drinks or coffee.

For the kids, the offer includes kid size chicken nuggets or spaghetti Bolognese along with drinks such as Tropicana or milk. Children will also receive a piece of fruit.

Helen Tordoff, head of café at Morrisons, said: “We’ve listened to our customers and we know that this is the time of year when they might feel the pinch.

“We know that families want to be able to eat out and we hope that by offering this deal, we can help them afford an enjoyable cafe meal without the washing up.”

Customers can order any main from the café menu – just some of the dishes included are beef lasagne, chicken and avocado salad, vegetarian macaroni cheese, chunky steak pie, bangers and mish, British beefburger, betteroot, red pepper and quinoa burger and a child’s cheese pizza, sausage and Yorkshire pudding or snack pack.

For more information visit my.morrisons.com/blog/food/new-cafe-menu/

Parents in Gedling borough have just days left to apply for primary school places for September 2019 as deadline looms

Parents in Gedling borough have just a couple of days left to get their applications in for primary school places for September 2019.

The application round for first admissions to reception class at primary school closes on next Tuesday (January 15).

Those with children attending a school’s foundation unit, nursery class or early years’ group, are also being reminded this doesn’t guarantee they will get a place at the main school at reception age, and they must still complete an application for a full-time place.

Parents of children currently in year 2 in an infant school will also need to apply for a year 3 place in a junior or primary school for September 2019. Children do not automatically transfer from infant to junior/primary school.

All those who live in Nottinghamshire will need to apply through Nottinghamshire County Council, even if they wish to apply for schools in other local authority areas such as Nottingham City or Derbyshire.

The council’s website www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/admissions  has information to help with the application process, and it is worth reading Admissions to Schools: Guide for Parents 2019-2020 which contains lots of useful information and advice.

The information about schools in Admissions to Schools: School information 2018- 2019, also available on our website, is organised into district areas (Gedling, Ashfield, Broxtowe and so on), so it is easy just to print off pages about schools you are interested in applying for.

Chairman of the County Council’s Children and Young People’s Committee, Councillor Philip Owen, said: “If your child will be five years old between September 1, 2018 and August 31, 2019, time is running out for you to apply for a reception year place and to decides which schools to include on your application.

“If it is your first child who is starting in reception, we want to make sure that you have all the information you need to make an informed decision which will give you the best chance of getting your child into your preferred school.

“The good news, however, is that last year, over 98% of families who applied for a primary school place on time were offered one of their preferred schools – up on the previous year.”

Parents who apply online will also get the decision by email on what’s known as National Offer Day on Tuesday, April 16 instead of having to wait a few days for a letter sent by second class post.

Parents must also remember to:

  • Use all four preferences – there is never a guarantee that a preference can be met, but parents should make sure that they use all four of their preferences rather than just making one preference and limiting their options. This way they are more likely to be offered a place at a school they are happy for their child to attend
  • Check the admission oversubscription criteria – parents are urged to include at least one school within the four preferences where their child will have high priority within the school’s admission oversubscription criteria and are therefore highly likely to get a place. Information about the criteria can also be found on the Council’s website

For any enquiries about how to apply for a school place, please contact 0300 500 80 80 or visit www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/admissions

Should school-run parents in Gedling borough be able to use bus lanes to skip traffic jams?

A new campaign is calling for bus lanes to be used by parents taking their children to school so they can skip traffic jams.

The aim of the campaign from Leasecar is to allow mums and dads in the borough to skip the morning rush hour and bypass queueing traffic by using bus lanes, alongside taxis and motorcycles.

The firm says that the move would help kids and parents who are under pressure at school, home and work.

LeaseCar’s Gareth Roberts said: “Busy mums and dads in the borough just don’t have time to be sat in traffic on the way to school.

“Picture the scene: your children are arguing, have got breakfast everywhere and forgotten their PE kit, so now you’re stuck in traffic and running late.

“The last thing you should then have to do is sit in a jam for half an hour, inching between sets of lights, while an empty taxi or motorcycle sails by.

“It poses an obvious question for local authorities, if getting kids to school on time is a priority: why aren’t parents on the school run allowed in bus lanes too?”

Bus lanes in the borough are currently open to buses, cyclists, taxis and motorcycles

Mr. Roberts thinks letting families also use them would be simple and hassle-free, but what would stop all drivers in a rush using the lanes?

What are your thoughts?

[yop_poll id=1]

HMRC scam warning to people in Gedling borough

People in Gedling borough are being targeted by scammers pretending to be from HMRC in the run-up to the self-assessment deadline.

Fraudsters have been leaving recorded messages on the phones of potential victims telling them they owe thousands of pounds in tax and then go on to make the threat of ‘legal consequences’ if the person fails to pay up.

The message then goes on to warn that if they don’t hear back from the victim or solicitors then they will need to be ‘ready to face the legal consequences.

If you do receive such a message, the official advice from HMRC is to ignore it.

HMRC

A HMRC spokesperson said: “We’ll only ever call you asking for payment on a debt that you are already aware of, either having received a letter about it, or after you’ve told us you owe some tax – for example, through a self-assessment return.”

If you’re in doubt about the authenticity of any call or message claiming to be from HMRC, you should hang up and contact HMRC using one of its official numbers – or online services available from Gov.uk.

One person who didn’t wish to be named told Gedling Eye the were left ‘scared’ by the scam.

They said: “I received a call and I was terrified it was real. I don’t have thousands of pounds and just run a small business. I luckily managed to look online and fing that others had received similar calls, so I didn’t bother responding.

He added: “Just make your readers aware that they shouldn’t fall for this.”

You can report any concerns to Action Fraud by calling 0300 123 2040 or visiting Actionfraud.police.uk.

You can forward any suspicious emails claiming to be from HMRC to phishing@hmrc.gsi.gov.uk and texts to 60599.

Police hunt thieves who took alcohol and cigarettes during robbery at post office in Bestwood Village

0
Police are appealing to the public for information following a robbery at Bestwood Village Post Office

Two men who were wearing face coverings and were armed with knives entered the Post Office, in Park Road, just after 9pm yesterday (Monday 7).

They threatened a staff member before making off on foot with quantities of alcohol and cigarettes. No-one was hurt during the incident.

Both men were white. One of them is of medium build, 5ft 7ins tall, and was wearing a black tracksuit. The other is of slim build, 5ft 2ins tall, and was wearing grey jogging bottoms and a black top.

Our enquiries are ongoing. We’re urging anyone with any information about the robbery to call us on 101, quoting incident number 812 of 7 January 2019, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Watch out for these roadworks across Gedling borough over the next few weeks

0
Drivers are being warned to expect traffic and travel delays due to roadworks across Gedling Borough during the week.

This list contains only the roadworks considered to be most likely to cause delays on key routes as well as those involving road closures and temporary traffic lights. It is not exhaustive and does not feature some minor or emergency repairs that come up after publication. Other roadworks may finish or start before schedule or be cancelled altogether.

All information from Highways England, local authorities and utility companies.

Burton Joyce

A612 Nottingham Road

January 11— 15 January                              

Delays likely due to traffic control (give & take)  

Works description: Hydrant renewal job in footway         

Carlton

B686 Carlton Hill

January 15 — 16 January                             

Delays likely due to traffic control (multi-way signals)      

Works location: at junction with Church Street (NG4 1EB)                             

Works description: Three-way lights and pedestrian crossing suspension for access to carriageway boxes               

B686 Carlton Hill

January 15 — 17 January                             

Delays likely due to traffic control (Stop/Go boards)                        

Works description: Short Comm pipe Cut Off 25mm Job in Carriageway (Hot Rolled Asphalt-30/14 )                                                          

B686 Carlton Hill

January 16— 17 January                              

Delays likely due to lane closure               

Works location: Carlton Hill approaching junction Cavendish Rd nottingham NG4 1SR                       

Works description: Lane closure to allow workmen to access boxes for underground cabling night work                  

B686 Carlton Road

January 13                          

Delays likely due to lane closure               

Works location: Outside 182 Carlton Road                           

Works description: Short 0.1-4.5m Full Ex 25mm PURI new water connection to excavate 1.5m to connect new plots water s…                             

Gedling

A6211 Arnold Lane

January 14— 18

Delays likely due to traffic control (Stop/Go boards)        

Works location: entire length                     

Works description: Gully Cleansing                          

A6211 Main Road

January 13                          

Delays likely due to traffic control (Stop/Go boards)        

Works location: Entire Length                    

Works description: Gully cleansing                          

Woodthorpe

Somersby Road

January 14 — 18                              

Delays likely due to traffic control (Stop/Go boards)        Works location: Entire Length

Some homes in Bestwood Village without water after main bursts on Moor Road

0
Homes in Bestwood Village have been left without water after a water main burst

Severn Trent Water officials have been working to resolve the issue in Moor Road since yesterday.

Other areas across Notts are also believed to have been affected by the outage with homes in the NG5 area – including Top Valley and Rise Park – also losing their supply.

Work is still underway to resolve the problem according to the latest update on Severn Trent Water‘s website.

PICTURED: Water fresh out of the tap at the home of James Bramble (PICTURE: James Bramble)


It reads: “Our teams are still at the site of the burst on Moor Road working hard to get supplies restored as quickly as possible.

“We have had to close Moor Road to enable the team to carry out the repair safely and efficiently and to keep road users safe.

“Some supplies have been restored in the area, however, there are still some customers who will be without supply and we are working to tanker directly into the mains to try and restore some supply to those who are still without.

They added: “We’re sorry for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for continued patience during this time.”