Home Blog Page 788

MP wins battle over access to land for walkers in Calverton

1

A local MP has battled to ensure walkers in Calverton will soon be able to again access to a popular walkway on land which was recently fenced off.

Mark Spencer, who is local Member of Parliament for Sherwood has helped secure a new gate for walkers wanting to access the land adjacent to Hollinwood Lane path. It was recently been fully fenced off, which prompted a number of residents to contact Mr Spencer to call for action.

The MP got in touch with the landowner and the Woodland Trust to find out why access had been restricted and also get it restored as soon as possible.

PICTURED: The fence blocking access to land in Calverton

Mr Spencer said: “A number of local residents and dog walkers from Calverton got in touch to let me know that the field had been fenced off and see if there was there anything we could try and do to get it altered for walkers.”


“So I got in contact with both the Woodland Trust and with Langridge Estate Ltd to find out exactly what was occurring, and what could be done to help the local residents. I was also in contact with the two local Borough Cllrs, Jane Walker and Boyd Elliot, who were both eager to try and get this resolved.”

PICTURED: Mark Spencer MP

“Langridge were very understanding and were very happy to work with me and the Woodland Trust. I’m pleased to say the result is that Langridge and the Woodland Trust have organised for a ‘kissing style gate’ to be erected in a location that means walkers will still be able to have some access.”

He added: “I want to thank everyone that’s been involved, including Langridge Estates, the Woodland Trust, the County Council and all the local residents. It just shows that if you work with groups and organisations, you can get a positive outcome.”

Gedling Borough councillor, Jane Walker worked with Mark to help secure the gate.

She said: “As someone who lives in Calverton and walks my dog around the village, I’m really pleased that we’ve been able to help secure a gate up at Hollinwood Lane. I know my collie, Jake, will be very happy!”

The MP said he will update residents on his Facebook page, facebook.com/MarkSpencerSherwood, and on his website when the gate is built.

Brazen fly-tippers ditch fridge freezers and sofa at beauty spot in Stoke Bardolph

Fly-tippers dumped a number of unsightly fridge freezers and a sofa beside the River Trent at Stoke Bardolph earlier this week.

The dumping has been reported to Gedling Borough Council who said it would be removed ‘as soon as possible’.

The pile left by fly-tippers was discovered just past The Ferry Boat inn on Stoke Lane by the River Trent.

Residents can help to ensure fly tipping does not occur by ensuring they only use Environment Agency registered waste carriers and keep a receipt for waste that is taken.

You can report incidents of fly tipping to Gedling Borough Council via their website here: https://apps.gedling.gov.uk/forms/default.aspx?formid=108

  • Do you have a local story for the Gedling Eye online news team? Email us at news@gedlingeye.co.uk or you can WhatsApp message us on 07958532672

Police appeal after driver fails to stop after hitting man, 60, in Carlton

0

Police are appealing for information after a driver failed to stop following a crash with a pedestrian in Carlton.

The collision, which involved a silver Audi saloon, happened in Station Road at about 12.15pm on Wednesday, January 9.


The vehicle was thought to be heading towards Netherfield at the time.

Police_stock

A spokesman for Nottinghamshire Police said: “Thankfully the pedestrian, a man in his 60s, was not seriously injured and didn’t need hospital treatment.”

Anyone who witnessed the crash or has any information is urged to call Nottinghamshire Police on 101, quoting incident number 326 of 9 January 2019, or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

JUST PURRFECT: Netherfield Co-op cat gets luxury new shelter from kind-hearted locals as cold weather kicks in

What’s new pussycat? A luxury new shelter for you outside your favourite haunt in Netherfield, that’s what.

Minnie the infamous Co-op cat is feline fine after being treated to a new second home by kind hearted people in the local community.

The cat had been sheltering from the cold weather in a basket placed outside the store on Victoria Road, but will now be able to spend her days in comfort after the new shelter appeared outside the Co-op yesterday.

Popular Co-op cat, Minnie, is pictured in her shelter (PICTURE: Gedling Eye)

And to ensure no one is in doubt about who the new shelter is intended for, a large ‘M’ has been placed just above the door.

The shelter was constructed by Steven and Sharon Bramley.

Sharon told Gedling Eye: My husband Steven Bramley built it for Minnie as we were worried about her getting cold or wet now winter is setting in.

“We hope that the owners will have peace of mind that she’s protected from all weathers now.

She added: “I know the owner’s son George misses his cat and we hope that seeing his cat in her own little palace will give him comfort .”

Minnie has become a local celebrity in recent months after appearing outside the store where she is fussed by locals and also offered food and treats.

Minnie the cat has caught the imagination of locals. This is a picture by young Netherfield resident, Freya, aged five

But the crafty cat isn’t homeless – as many believe. Minnie actually has a home and family in the town and her owners are now pleading with the public to stop fussing her so she spends more time at home.

Owner Ben Blower told Gedling Eye: “It’s lovely that people want to do this, but I’m asking them to stop because my children feel like their pet has been stolen. Minnie is a family pet and needs to return home.

He added: “It would be better if people stopped buying pots of cat food for Minnie as she gets up to seven pots given to her on some days.

“I’d rather they gave the money they are spending on our cat to a local charity helping local schools or the homeless instead.”

  • Do you have a local story for the Gedling Eye online news team? Email us at news@gedlingeye.co.uk or you can WhatsApp message us on 07958532672

Check which roads across Gedling borough are covered by gritters

0

With more weather warnings of snow and ice, gritters across Gedling borough have been out in force – here’s how you can check which roads will be covered.

Nottinghamshire County Council has a dedicated page that outlines the roads in the borough covered by gritters.

Some of these roads are classed as ‘main routes’ and are salted as a precaution when ice on roads forecast

‘Severe weather routes’ are salted when snow or periods of prolonged freezing is forecast.

You can also download a large-scale maps showing gritting routes for Gedling borough.

The gritting maps are available at this link: https://www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/transport/gritting/map?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=SocialSignIn&utm_content=Gritting%2Fwinter

Pupils on bikes warned by Arnold school after reports of them ‘pulling wheelies on main road and ‘weaving between traffic’ on bikes

0

Pupils at a school in Arnold are being reminded to cycle safely after reports of them ‘weaving between traffic’ and ‘pulling wheelies’ on a main road.

Arnold Hill Academy has written to parents and also issued a plea on its Facebook page and is reminding them to warn their children of the dangers of riding irresponsibly.

Teh Facebook post read: “We have written to parents about pupils riding their bikes dangerously on local footpaths and roads asking them to share our concerns, and those of the wider community, with their children.

“We have highlighted particular issues with cyclists riding as a large group blocking the road including towards oncoming traffic, pulling wheelies on Gedling Road and the pavements near the junior schools, cycling down the centre of the road and weaving between traffic.

They added: “Within school, we regularly remind pupils about the dangers and have had the local road safety team alongside the schools link police officer speak to most of the cyclists in school.

The school reminded parents that action will be taken against any pupils if caught in the act.

The post said: “We do wish to encourage cycling and are pleased at the increasing numbers of our pupils who now ride to and from school, but will issue sanctions if behaviour is deemed dangerous or inappropriate. “

New ban on letting agents charging rip-off fees to renters in the borough will come into force this summer

0

Renters across Gedling borough will be saving hundreds of pounds when a ban on rip-off fees charged by letting agents comes into force this summer.

The government has announced that the long-awaited Tenant Fee Bill will finally come into force on June 1, 2019, almost three years after it was first announced.

Some renters are currently having to fork out for fees of around £432 when they take on a new tenancy in the borough.

This is because letting agents can currently charge renters for things like referencing, viewing a property and processing fees.

Under the new rules, agents will only be allowed to charge for tenant damages, if the tenant loses their keys and for late payment.

To_Let_stock
To Let, Home rentals, Landlords

The new Bill will now also limit the size of a holding deposit to no more than five-weeks worth of rent when the annual income is below £50,000.

Once the new Bill comes into force in June, any landlords caught charging illegal fees will be fined £5,000 for the first offence, and up to £30,000 if they do it again. That money gets collected by the local council, who are allowed to keep the money and use it for local housing enforcement.

Lord Bourne of Aberystwyth, the Government’s housing spokesperson in the House of Lords, announced when the Bill would come into force when it was read out in the House of Lords yesterday.

He said: “We need to enable agents and landlords following Royal Assent to become compliant but we intend for the provisions to come into force on June 1 2019.

“This would mean the ban on lettings fees would apply to all tenancies signed after this date.”

The Bill still needs to be debated in the House of Commons, which is subject to parliamentary timetables, and could impact the start date.

But one industry experts fears the new bill could force landlords to increase rents to make up the shortfall.

Alexandra Morris, managing director of online letting agent MakeUrMove said : “Our fear is that, while the government’s intention was to make the private rental sector more affordable and fairer for tenants, they will likely end up worse of

“Many landlords, particularly the smaller landlords who make up the biggest proportion of the private rental sector and often operate on very tight margins, will be forced to raise rents to cover the increased costs they will incur as a result of the bill.

“Landlords will face additional upfront costs including referencing, and because of their already tight margins they will need to recoup these during the initial tenancy period to ensure renting their property remains financially viable.”

Mathew Horne to play Private Walker in Dad’s Army remake for Gold channel

0

Mathew Horne has been named as one of the stars set to take part in a new remake of comedy classic Dad’s Army for comedy channel Gold.

The Burton Joyce-born actor will play Private Walker in the remake of three episodes which were lost by the BBC back in the Sixties.

Also starring in the new series is Tom Rosenthal as Private Pike, Kevin Eldon as Lance Corporal Jones, Bernard Cribbins as Private Godfrey and Cold Feet’s Robert Bathurst as Sergeant Wilson.

Kevin R. McNally has been cast as Captain Mainwaring in the three episodes, which have not been seen since their original broadcast in 1969.

The remakes will use the original scripts, which were written for the second series of Dad’s Army by Jimmy Perry and David Croft.

The episodes being recreated are: The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Walker, A Stripe for Frazer and Under Fire.

Dad’s Army: The Lost Episodes will air on Gold in 2019 to celebrate 50 years since the episodes were first broadcast.

Cash boost helps furnish new classroom to educate sports stars of the future at Carlton Town’s academy

A football academy in Gedling has received £1,000 towards furnishing its new classroom to help support up and coming sporting stars.

Carlton Town FC was presented the donation from Persimmon Homes Nottingham through the regional housebuilder’s Community Champions scheme, which donates up to £2,000 to community groups each month.

The Nottinghamshire club which plays in Northern Premier League East division and runs 20 junior teams has successfully managed its academy team for two years.

The Academy offers students a BTEC qualification in Sport while being part of the club’s team. The club is currently improving its classroom and the housebuilder funds will go towards new furniture.

Dave Hodgson, Strategic Development Officer from Carlton Town FC, said: “We are delighted with the success of the Academy, we have a dedicated team to guide and support the students through their studies. We are currently exploring the development of a degree programme to create multiple pathways for our students to progress a career in sport.

“The classroom facilities needed to be upgraded. Most of the work has been funded by the club and completed by a team of volunteers.

“We host a lot of fundraising events to cover these costs, but Persimmon Homes’ donation is a huge boost to our refurbishment plans. We can now get the work finished sooner than we had originally expected.”

Neil Follows, Persimmon Homes Nottingham, added: “We are delighted to support a club that encourages physical fitness in youngsters. As we are building in Gedling, at our Rivendell development, we expect many of your customers to benefit from the club’s facilities.”

To nominate and to find out about the terms and conditions people can visit www.persimmonhomes.com/charity

Anger over dog waste dumped at Gedling Country Park

Residents and park users have reacted angrily after a walker shared a picture of a pile of dog waste dumped just yards from a bin in Gedling Country Park.

Paul Farrell shared the picture with Gedling Eye and also on social media after being left disgusted by the mess left by dog walkers in the park.

He said: “We spotted this pile on Sunday. There is a dog waste bin only 200 yards way.

“By putting dog waste in plastic and dumping it just makes the issue worse and putting it in a neat pile does not make it ok. It’s personal responsibility and taking care of our park .

PICTURED: Gedling Country Park

Mr Farrell said other dog walkers have reacted angrily after seeing the picure online.

He said: “I’m not a dog walker but interestingly I’ve had lots of responsible dog walkers upset about the actions of just a few since I posted the picture.

The waste was found near to the Lambley Lane entrance to the park.

A number of park users got in touch with Gedling Eye via our social media pages to voice their disgust.

Sue Sutton lives in West Bridgford but regularly visits the park with her dogs.

She said: “It’s disgusting. People should have to take some test to be able to have a dog. A lot of people just can’t be bothered with the responsibilities that come with owning a pet, like clearing up after them or training them.

“If they had to get a licence and pay they’d think twice.

Mark Shields, from Newstead, often takes his dogs to the park and always cleans up after.

He said: “There are so many bins so there isn’t an excuse for this kind of behaviour. I hope they were caught on CCTV. They need to be fined.