Home Blog Page 774

Council plots to build housing business in Gedling borough

Gedling Borough Council has said it is considering creating its own housing company to meet the needs of local people.

The authority believes that by setting up its own housing firm could help accelerate the need for new homes in the borough and also help boost council coffers.

Cabinet members will now consider approval of a business case which will explore the establishment of a local housing company to create a mix of affordable, rented and for sale homes controlled by the council.

The council has spoken to experts from the housing sector about possible options which included looking at creating a housing revenue account, a general fund or possibly a joint venture with another company.

House_building

However, the option for a local housing company was deemed the most viable based on the consultation and advice from the market experts.

If approved, the business case would be prepared setting out the financial, resource and risk implications of different housing delivery models for Gedling.

The plans are part of the council’s strategy for increasing income whilst dealing with severe budget cuts from central government.

Gedling Borough Council say they are one of the worst affected councils in the UK when it comes to government funding cuts and this business case could help reduce the strain on council resources, whilst providing much needed new homes.

Leader of Gedling Borough Council, Councillor John Clarke said: “We’re determined to play our part in providing much needed affordable homes for local families to buy and rent – establishing our own housing company is just one way for the council to do that.

“This proposal could also help reduce the strain on our budget as we continue to face severe cuts from central government.”

Bonanza book sale in Gedling with over 15,000 titles on offer will raise vital funds for good causes

0

Bookworms in the borough are being invited to bag a bargain at a unique annual charity sale in Gedling and help raise much-needed funds for local charities.

For the past 13 years Bob and Chris Cann have hosted the Masked Charity Booksale at their home in Vernon Avenue, which brings in thousands of pounds for their chosen charities.

Their property will again be crammed full of 15,000 second-hand books from as little as 10p when the sale begins on Friday, April 26.

Last year’s mammoth sale brought in £2176 for local charities and boosted the total amount raised over the past 13 years to nearly £20,000.

It takes Chris, Bob and a team of volunteers over ten weeks to prepare for the sale, and over the years a special insulated  building has been erected to help house the mammoth collection.

Chris said the continuing popularity of the sale proves that books will never be replaced, despite the growth in electronic devices.

She said: “There’s something magical about a book, that you just don’t find on an electronic device.  And that magic is even greater when it’s a second-hand book, because as wellbeing directly connected to the author’s mind, you’re also physically holding something that may be a hundred years old, and you’re connected to all the previous owners and readers.”

As well as books, homemade cakes will be available for donation, and children can play on the ExLibris Express – a train built out of reclaimed wood. They can ring the train’s bell, toot the horn, sell tickets, blow bubbles, shovel “coal”, and more.

Many visitors to the sale also take part in the tradition of wearing a mask while attending the event.

The tradition was started by Josiah Saithwaite, founder of the Federation of Masked Booksellers who are the group who organise the event. Saithwaite believed in doing good by stealth and decided therefore that the identities of all who helped out on his bookstalls should be concealed behind masks.

This year visitors are also invited to bring a tin of vegetarian food, which will be passed on to Netherfield Food Bank after the booksale.

The sale takes place between at 16, Vernon Avenue in Gedling between 10-6 on April 26, 27, 28 and 29.

It will also be open again the public on May 3,4 and 5 between 10-6.

For more information email boraxwoman-exlibris@yahoo.co.uk or visit their Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/ExLibrisTheMaskedBooksellers/

Work to begin on demolishing dangerous ‘eyesore’ site in Carlton

Diggers are set to move in and demolish two dilapidated properties in Carlton before the area is transformed in a bid to boost trade in the area.

Gedling Borough Council has appointed CMEC to demolish the dangerous properties on Burton Road – with works expected to begin in the next few weeks.

The council took ownership of the properties in October 2018 due to the dangerous state of the buildings – which locals have described as ‘an eyesore’.

Since taking on the buildings, the council has been working with CMEC and neighbouring properties to ensure that the buildings can be taken down safely, with minimal disruption to businesses and residential properties nearby.

The area is set to get a big boost in the coming months with plans now in place to transform the nearby Carlton Square shopping centre and help improve trade for local businesses.

carlton-demolition
PICTURED Cllr Jenny Hollingsworth, Portfolio Holder for Growth and Regeneration, at the demolition site on Burton Road, Carlton.

Cllr Jenny Hollingsworth, Portfolio Holder for Growth and Regeneration said she was looking forward to work starting to help revitalise the area.

She said: “I’m delighted that works will be starting on these properties. This is part of the wider regeneration of the Carlton Square area and I’m excited to see how things progress in the near future.

“There are big changes coming to Carlton Square that are really going to improve the appearance of the area as well as attract shoppers and retailers.”

Police find drugs and weapons during raid on address in Carlton

Police recovered drugs, stolen goods, air weapons and counterfeit cash after executing a warrant in Carlton yesterday (March 18).

Officers arrested two men aged 48 and 47, on suspicion of possession of drugs with intent to supply and possession of criminal property.

Officers executed the warrant at an address in Southdale Road at about 5.20pm yesterday.

A spokesman for Nottinghamshire Police said: “Items recovered from the property included two air weapons – namely an air rifle and realistic-looking handgun, quantities of Class A and B drugs, stolen property and counterfeit cash.

“The two men arrested remain in police custody.”

Council bid to £675m Future High Streets Fund in move to boost Arnold town centre

Councillors are getting together to set out a bid for up to £5million-worth of funding to help boost Arnold’s town centre.

Gedling Borough Council will make the bid to the government’s Future High Streets Fund and, if successful, will go towards improving the town centre transport access, improve the high street and create a more vibrant centre.

The council needs to submit an expression of interest by March 22 and will then wait to hear if it’s shortlisted before creating a business case in the summer.

Arnold town centre was identified as the best area for the funding bid based on the criteria set out by the government, according to the council.

The criteria requires the town to need investment in infrastructure, transport access and adaption of the high street in response to changing technology.

The bid is part of the council’s ongoing drive to revitalise Arnold town centre.

The council acquired Arnold Market and work has begun to improve the site with new temporary stalls being installed in April alongside the demolition of the old stalls at the same time.

Arnold Market
PICTURED: Councillor Gary Gregory, Councillor Jenny Hollingsworth, Leader of Gedling Borough Council Councillor John Clarke and Deputy Leader Councillor Michael Payne outside Arnold Market

The council also recently improved the Eagle Square area of Arnold and have announced plans, working in partnership with the agents Waypoint, to revitalise Carlton Town Centre with the public having been consulted on the plans.

The council also recently approved plans to employ a new Town Centres & Markets Manager as part of its 2019/20 budget.

More details about how the funding will be used will be discussed at the cabinet meeting on Tuesday (March 19).

The money could be used to create a programme of events, make the town accessible to all with improved access throughout the centre, and bring empty and vacant buildings back into use, all with the aim of increasing the enjoyment of the centre and increase footfall to support local businesses.

Deputy leader of Gedling Borough Council, Cllr Michael Payne said; “We hope the government will agree with us that Arnold Town Centre is the perfect candidate for their Future High Street Fund.

“We’re proud to have invested in refurbishing Arnold Leisure Centre, Bonington Theatre & Cinema and to have purchased Arnold Market and renovated Eagle Square. Our two hours free parking offer has also made a big difference and is here to stay.

He added: “In April we will be installing new, improved temporary stalls on Arnold Market and demolishing the old stalls, we will then work with residents, market traders and local businesses to crack on with creating a modern, vibrant Arnold Market fit for the future.

“We may have lost a little over 60p in every £1 of our funding from central government but this hasn’t stopped us being ambitious our town centres. We hope the government gets behind our bold plans to improve Arnold even further.”

Council to launch pet cremation service in Gedling borough

A new pet cremation service is being launched next month by Gedling Borough Council

Currently, pet cremations are arranged by local veterinary practices and carried out by private firms. Operating under the name Gedling Pet Cremation Services, the Pet Cremation Team at Gedling Borough Council will provide bespoke arrangements to collect customers pet’s from their home or vet, provide an individual cremation and return the pet’s ashes the following day.

A reflection room will also be available for customers to say their last goodbye in private.

The service will be available from the April 1, providing bespoke cremations for dogs, cats and other small animals, with prices starting from £40.

pet-crem-Gedling
PICTURED: (l to r) Cllr Peter Barnes, portfolio Holder for Environment; Councillor Gary Gregory, Portfolio Holder for Community Development; and Leader of Gedling Borough Council, Councillor John Clarke, stood beside the new Gedling Pet Cremation Services Van.

Leader of Gedling Borough Council, Councillor John Clarke said: “We’re very pleased to be launching Gedling Pet Cremation Services as this is a great opportunity for Gedling Borough Council to provide a service to our community.

“We understand how distressing the loss of a pet can be and we will ensure a dignified and high quality service, meeting the wishes of pet owners, is provided in what is a difficult time for them”

Netherfield cinder path improvements unveiled to public tomorrow

A £93,000 cinder pathway in Netherfield has been restored and will be officially opened tomorrow (March 19)

The funding provided by WREN and Gedling Homes has been used to renovate, widen and tidy up the cinder pathway which runs from Manvers Street to Ashwell Street in Netherfield.

WREN is a not-for-profit business that awards grants for community, conservation and heritage projects from funds donated by waste and resource management company FCC Environment through the Landfill Communities Fund. They have providing a total of £84,117 towards the project. Gedling Homes, now part of the Jigsaw group, has also provided a contribution of £9,074.28 towards the refurbishment of the walkway.

Works on the cinder pathway included the removal of trees, which have been identified as dead or diseased, and tidying of vegetation to improve the lighting and make the area cleaner and safer for pedestrians.

The local heritage of the cinder path will be told along the walkway with interpretation panels. Local historian, Hayden Reed has contributed to the panels, providing information on the history of the area including details about the railway history of the path.

The path will be opened by the Mayor of Gedling, Councillor Barbara Miller and the Leader of Gedling Borough Council, Councillor John Clarke on Tuesday (March 19) at 2pm.

Cheryl Raynor, WREN’s local grant manager said: “It’s wonderful to see something we have funded fully completed and ready to have a positive impact on the local area. WREN is always happy to consider grant applications for projects that benefit local communities and this is a great example of what can be achieved.”Martin Curtis, Project Manager for Gedling Homes said: “We’re delighted to see the work finished on the cinder path and look forward to seeing it open.”

Leader of Gedling Borough Council, Councillor John Clarke said;“I’m very pleased that the cinder path has been revitalised and I’m sure residents will be very pleased with the results.

“This funding from WREN and Gedling Homes has helped turn this old unsightly corridor into a nice, clean walking path which will bring to life the history of this cinder path. With the ongoing issues we have with budgets, we would not have been able to do this ourselves, so we are very grateful for the funding for this project.”

‘He epitomises what the Special Constabulary is all about’: Volunteer cop praised by police chief after scooping prestigious prize at Pride of Gedling awards

He has been shot at by robbers, arrested two murderers and saved the life of a toddler found choking to death.

Now the community he has loyally served for nearly half a century has shown their gratitude by presenting him with one of the borough’s highest honours.

Special Constable Alan Marwood was greeted by a standing ovation as he took to the stage on Wednesday night to collect his Lifetime Achievement Award at the Pride of Gedling ceremony in Arnold.

It was revealed by radio presenter and award host Gareth Evans that the volunteer cop has experienced things that most full-time police officers would never come across during their service, including coming face-to-face with and arresting two murderers.

He’s even been shot at whilst trying to stop robbers who had targeted a cash-in-transit van in Upper Parliament Street whilst on patrol in 1978, and in 1998, Alan was one of the first officers on scene at a street in St Ann’s, where two people had been stabbed.

Alan, who also doubles up as a fully trained advanced Paramedic, has also been responsible for saving the lives of countless people during his time with the force, including that of a two year old boy, who was choking near to where he was on patrol.

PICTURED: Special constable Alan Marwood, centre, with his Lifetime Achievement Award
ON DUTY: Special constable Alan Marwood (PICTURE: Notts Police)

Special Inspector Neil Healey is delighted that Alan has been recognised for his dedicated service to the force.

He said: “Alan thoroughly deserves this award for his dedicated service of almost 50 years to the people of Gedling Borough, and beyond.

“His fellow Special Constables are very proud to have him amongst our ranks with his breadth of knowledge and experience – well done Alan!”

Alan’s boss, Chief Inspector Suk Verma, also heaped praise on the Special Constable.

He said: “Alan has achieved something spectacular: 49-years volunteering to support the public of Nottinghamshire is truly phenomenal.

“I am thrilled to hear of Alan’s success at the Pride of Gedling Awards and I cannot think of a better recipient.”

The Chief Inspector, who also heads-up the force’s Citizens in Policing Department, added: “I first met Alan in 2002 at Carlton, and was amazed to see the dedication and commitment on a weekly basis, as he worked tirelessly to serve his local community.

“I remember having a conversation with my father over a beer in regards to the Special Constabulary, and even he remembered Alan from the 1980s at Sneinton.

“Alan epitomises what the Special Constabulary is all about; unbelievably dedicated people, whose values and ethics ought to be bottled up and sold to make the world a better place.

“It wills me with great pride to be the Citizens in Policing lead for Nottinghamshire Police, and even more so when I hear of such amazing achievements being recognised on such a large scale – well done Alan!”

Alan continues to play an active role within Nottinghamshire Police and continues to share his vast knowledge and experiences with the new recruits and fellow colleagues.

You can read our all coverage of the Pride of Gedling awards here.

Raising the bar: New manager of Gedling Inn wants to restore pub into heart of community

4

The new manager of a pub in Gedling has big plans to reinstate it at the heart of the community.

Beccy Webster currently runs The Elwes Arms and Blacks Head in Carlton and will now be responsible for The Gedling Inn from Monday (March 18).

The pub – still referred to as The Chesterfield Arms, or ‘Cheggo’, by locals – has changed hands several times in the last few years.

Attempts to brand it as a steakhouse or venue for fine dining haven’t proved popular with locals, but now Beccy says she hopes to restore it as a traditional local.

Her plans include installing a pool table, screening sporting events and holding family events.

A new and improved menu will also be put in place with food being on offer at affordable prices.

Beccy told Gedling Eye: This will be my third pub in the NG4 area alongside The Elwes Arms and The Blacks Head.

“I’m excited to take on this new venture and bring back the community spirit to this Gedling pub.

“I’ve always lived in the area and went to Carlton le Willows school in Gedling.”

She added: “My success comes from having a great team behind me and I’m looking forward to expanding on that.”

There are currently no plans to change the name of the venue.

Knife crime stop and searches carried out in Gedling as part of Operation Sceptre

Officers in plain clothes have carried out stop and searches in Gedling in a bid to combat knife crime in the area.

The Police officers were deployed in Gedling yesterday as part of #OpSceptre.

They confirmed that two people had been stopped and the searched for knives and no weapons were recovered.

Nottinghamshire Police tweeted: ”If you know someone who is carrying a knife tell us anonymously via Crimestoppers 0800555111 #livesnotkives

Operation Sceptre is a seven-day initiative that began on Monday, with all police forces in England and Wales taking part.

Surrender bins, stop-and-searches and weapon sweeps are being carried out in a bid to target people who regularly carry blades.

Surrender bins have been placed at several locations in Gedling