Firefighters at Carton Fire Station are warning motorists to drive carefully in wet conditions after being called out last night to a car that left the road after hitting standing water.
Green Watch, who are based at the station on Manor Road, attended the incident last night (November 7).
Firefighters were called out to this car, which left the road in standing water (IMAGE: Notts Fire Service)
The driver had been travelling at the normal speed limit when the vehicle hit some standing water on the road and aquaplaned, leaving the carriageway and ultimately rolling a number of times.
A spokesman for the fire service said: “Although the damage to the vehicle was significant the driver, who was wearing a seatbelt, suffered only minor injuries.
“We are entering the annual period of inclement weather and drivers are reminded to set their speed according to road conditions, whether extremely wet or cold.”
Colwick-based global packaging and printing firm The Wilkins Group has been crowned Family Business of the Year at the 10th Midlands Family Business Awards.
The Wilkins Group specialises in the printing of folding cartons and packaging for a range of industries and brands worldwide, and employs over 500 people operating from five global sites in Nottingham, Romania, China, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh.
The firm has a head office on Colwick Industrial Estate
PICTURED: The Wilkins Group head office in Colwick
Attended by over 350 guests – including awards finalists, independent judges and sponsors – the awards were bigger than ever as attendees celebrated not just the achievements of the family businesses but also the milestone of the awards; reaching its tenth year of championing family businesses.
To reach the winning and highly commended spots, finalists met with an independent judging panel – led by a family business leader, industry expert and category sponsor – and all finalists were entered into the People’s Choice Award – the only award voted for externally by the public.
The event is organised by The Wilson Organisation.
Group managing director of The Wilson Organisation, Charlotte Perkins, said: “Being the only independent and not for profit awards of its kind, the Midlands Family Business Awards has a sole focus on celebrating and showcasing the hugely positive impact our regions’ family businesses have on our economy by supporting those companies and building communities of like-minded professionals.
“A huge well done to all those who have been successful tonight – both winners and highly commended – the achievements of your businesses are very impressive and the awards will hopefully be a lasting reminder of that.
Communities across the borough will gather to remember those who made the ultimate sacrifice for their country this weekend.
Parades, minute’s silences and memorial services will be taking place as the area remembers those who have lost their lives in conflict.
Towns across the borough will hold parades on Remembrance Sunday with Arnold and Gedling all closing to traffic at periods during the day.
Full list of services
Arnold
People should meet at the Victory Club opposite Sainsbury’s by 9.30am on Sunday (November 10) where the parade will march to St Pauls Church for a memorial service.Nov 10, 2019
The service will finish at 10.30am and the parade will then march to Arnot Hill Park for 10.45am for a wreath laying ceremony. There will be a two minutes silence before returning to the Victory Club.
During the event Nottingham Road, Church Drive and Sir John Robinson Way will be closed between 09:00 and 12:30, with Lilac 25 and Lime 58 buses being diverted.
Bus diversions
Lilac 25 towards Arnold will follow their normal route to the bottom of Breck Hill Road then divert right Thackeray’s Lane, Arnot Hill Road, right High Street, right Croft Road, left Arnold Front Street
Lilac 25 towards City will follow their normal route to High Street (Wilko) then left Arnot Hill Road, Thackeray’s Lane to the roundabout to resume normal route on Breck Hill Road
Lime 58 towards Arnold will follow their normal route to Mansfield Road, but at The Vale PH they will turn right Thackeray’s Lane and at the roundabout continue Thackeray’s Lane, Arnot Hill Road, right High Street, right Croft Road, left Arnold Front Street
Lime 58 towards City will follow their normal route to High Street (Wilko) then left Arnot Hill Road, Thackeray’s Lane to the roundabout, continuing Thackeray’s Lane to The Vale PH, where they will turn left and resume normal route on Mansfield Road.
The following named stops will not be served, but buses will observe all stops on their diversion route: Charles Street, Sainsbury’s, Portland Street, Daybrook Square, Thackeray’s Lane, Calstock Road.
Remembrance Day
Gedling
People should meet at All Hallows Church, Gedling, at 10am on Sunday for a church service followed by a walk to the war memorial at 10.45am for a wreath laying ceremony.
At 11am there will be a two minutes silence and then a parade to Gedling Memorial Hall.
Between 10am and 11.30am, Arnold Lane will be closed.
Bus diversions
Red 44 will be diverted between approx. 10:00 and 11:30 whilst Arnold Lane is closed.
Buses towards Gedling (departing City at 10:00, 10:25, 10:45, 11:05, 11:25) will follow their normal route to Gedling Road then turn left Westdale Lane, right Holyoake Road, continuing Shelford Road to Wollaton Avenue.
Buses towards City (departing Gedling at 10:30, 10:50, 11:10 and 11:30) will depart from the turning circle (the 45 stop) then along Shelford Road, left Digby Avenue, left Westdale Lane (full length) then right on to Gedling Road to resume normal route.
The following named stops will not be served, but buses will observe all stops on their diversion route: Wollaton Avenue Shops, Gedling School, Cinderhill Grove, Arnold Lane Cemetery, Wykes Avenue, Churchview, Tennyson Avenue, Westdale Lane (to City), Besecar Avenue, Newton Road, Turpin Avenue.
If you’re a regular passenger on the Red 44 and 44A service through Colwick, Netherfield and Gedling, you’ll need to be aware of same changes to its timetable.
From Monday, November 18, Nottingham City Transport will be making timetable changes on Mondays to Fridays to the 44 and 44A service.
The bus firm said then the changes were being made to ‘better reflect shift patterns for workers along their routes.’
Red 44
The changes are as follows…
The 16:36pm (44A) from Gedling to Nottingham City Centre is re-timed to operate 10-12 minutes earlier, passing through Colwick Industrial Estate at 16:39pm.
The 16:28pm (44) from Gedling will operate 10 minutes later.
NCT also said that the frequency of buses through Colwick Industrial Estate to the City Centre during the afternoon peak will now be more evenly spread, with a bus generally every 15 minutes combined across the 44A and 50.
New times will be: every 30 minutes until 15:54 (50), 16:11 (44A), 16:24 (50), 16:39 (44A), 16:54 (50), 17:09 (44A), 17:24 (50), 17:40 (44A), 17:54 (50), 18:11 (44A), 18:24 (50), 18:54 (50)
Sparklers sold across Gedling borough are being urgently recalled after reports of them leaving people with burns.
Nottinghamshire County Council’s Trading Standards Team is
urging people in the borough to check their sparklers following an urgent
recall.
The Turbo sparklers are thought to have been on sale locally
and have been subject to reports of causing burns to some users.
Customers are advised not to use Turbo sparklers with item
number 452065 and should instead return them to the retailer from which they
were purchased.
Turbo sparklers are being recalled
Those hosting or attending bonfire events over the weekend
are also being asked to look out for the affected products.
Councillor John Handley, Vice-Chair of Nottinghamshire
County Council’s Communities and Place Committee, said: “We know that sparklers
are popular at this time of year and we are asking our communities to help us
share the message to keep people safe.
“It is always distressing to hear of injuries, and we are
working with our partner agencies to identify other areas where this product
has been on sale.
“We would like to ask anyone who is hosting or attending a
bonfire celebration in the coming days to take a few minutes to check any
sparklers that you might have purchased and take action if necessary.”
If you have a query about the recall, you can contact the
Citizens Advice Consumer Service Helpline on 03454 04 05 06.
A new general election poll suggests that Labour will hold on to Gedling.
Gedling is 42nd on the Tories’ list of Labour-held English and Welsh target seats, and is one they need to win to help get them a majority.
A spokesman for The Economist magazine, who commissioned the poll, told Gedling Eye: “Labour has been in power for 22 years in Gedling and the Tories are hoping to win it back.
“As the Conservatives are expected to lose seats in Scotland
and the southeast, the party must win Labour strongholds in the Midlands and
the North if they are to take the majority. Pick any demographic metric and
Gedling will appear roughly in the middle.”
If an election were called tomorrow, The Economist’s
constituency polling shows the Tories have some work on their hands if they are
to win. Polling of Gedling residents reveals:
VICTORY: A new poll predicts Vernon Coaker will hold on to Gedling
Labour would win approximately 42% of the vote, compared to the Conservatives’ 37%
About half of leave voters would vote Conservative in the General Election
A quarter would back the Brexit Party candidate
Remain voters would break heavily for Labour
About four in ten Labour voters think Jeremy Corbyn would make the best prime minister; nearly all Conservative voters would back Boris Johnson
*Constituency-level polling has a margin of error about five
percentage-points either side of these estimates
Survation, a member of the British Polling Council, conducted the constituency polling for The Economist. 409 people aged 18+ living in the Gedling constituency were polled via telephone on November 4th 2019.
Gedling is the first of five constituency polls that The Economist will commission over the next five weeks, each of them in a seat that will reveal how the election campaign will pan out.
Acoustic screening along a stretch of the Gedling Access Road (GAR) in Mapperley will now be installed after proposals to ditch them were rejected at a council planning meeting tonight (November 6).
Officers felt that the landscape had changed considerably since the proposals were originally put forward and now weren’t necessary to protect houses and wildlife from the noise.
But these recommendations were unanimously rejected by Gedling Borough Council‘s planning committee, who met earlier tonight (November 6).
Cllr Michael Payne, who is councillor for Arnold North, and Vernon Coaker were joined by representatives of the Friends of Gedling Country Park and local residents to make their case to the committee about the screens remaining as part of the overall plans.
The head of planning for Gedling Borough Council, Mike Avery, also gave planning officers the opportunity to make their case for removing the screens.
PICTURED: Cllr Michael Payne
In a letter read out at the meeting, Cllr Payne, pictured, above, wrote: “The inclusion of acoustic screening at this section of the GAR was an undertaking given to the local community as a mitigation measure in relation to the new noise arising from the GAR.
“On balance I strongly believe the retention of the acoustic screening will help ensure this major infrastructure project is not overly detrimental to the residents living in close proximity to it. Whilst the GAR may only be proposed as a 40mph road, there will still clearly be new noise pollution arising from its use.”
“In my view, the noise mitigation and protection to local wildlife habitat by the retention of these two particular sections of acoustic screening along the GAR outweighs concerns about detrimental impact on the visual amenity of the area.”
After the meeting, Cllr Payne told Gedling Eye that the decision was ‘a victory for common sense’.
He said: “It was a real team effort to ensure the plans for the screens remained. It was great to work with residents, the Friends of Gedling Country Park and Vernon Coaker on this.
“I’d like to thank the cross-party planning committee for patiently listening to all the views for and against tonight before unanimously voting that the recommendation was ignored.
“It’s all about trust and I think that we’d have struggled to get people to believe in the planning process if we’d lost tonight. They’d have felt like we had gone back on our word to protect their properties and local wildlife.”
The Liberal Democrats in Gedling have selected Anita Prabhakar as their candidate for the next general election
Anita, who worked as a solicitor, has been active in politics for many years, having joined the Liberal Democrats in 2012.
A spokesman for the party said: “Anita is a keen pro-European and will fight hard to stop Brexit, believing that it will be bad for the economy, the presence of our country on the world stage and will deny us strong opportunities to tackle climate change along with our European partners.
People will head to the polling stations in December
“Anita also believes that it is vital that we remain in the EU in order to save our NHS. Striking a trade deal with Trump’s US will be the end of the NHS as we know it and we must do everything to keep it.
“She is especially passionate about women’s issues and believes that women are frequently underrepresented. There not enough women in our parliament to raise their voices for women’s issues like domestic violence and inequality.
“She has experience working with an immigration firm where she has seen immigrants going through all kind of hardships. A proper system is not in place to resolve the issues in a timely fashion, resulting in people going through terrible stress.”
They added: “Anita is multilingual, speaking English, Hindi, Punjabi, Bengali and a little bit of Urdu. She enjoys interacting with all parts of society, understanding their issues and looks forward to raising them on both the local and national stage.
“As a Liberal Democrat she is committed to working to lessen the disadvantages of poverty and inequality in our society by doing her very best for Gedling.
A team of ghosthunters will be coming to the aid of residents in Gedling and Calverton in the latest series of Help! My House is Haunted – which starts tomorrow (November 7).
The popular paranormal show returns
to REALLY weekly at 10pm from Thursday and brings together three of the
world’s leading paranormal investigators: British ghost hunter and paranormal
consultant Barri Ghai; American medium and paranormal expert Chris Fleming and
new addition to the team paranormal researcher and historian Jayne Harris.
By employing psychic communication
techniques, detailed historical research, the latest paranormal detection
equipment and all their extensive investigative experience, the team travel
across the UK helping families reclaim their homes from unwelcome spirits. From
lingering green mists to objects inexplicably being moved, the team answer the
real appeals for help from people desperate for a solution to their paranormal
problems.
In episode 10, two such people are Gedling residents, Lizzie and Geoff, who moved into their house last year – they could not believe their luck finding such a spacious home. Immediately strange things started happening, three pairs of glasses smashed on a carpeted floor, objects fell out of cupboards at night, a young relative said she saw a monster, and footsteps are heard when the rest of the house is empty.
Pictured: The Help! My House is Haunted team
Daughter Stephanie did a bit of online research about the property and discovered that Victorian cricketing legend Arthur Shrewsbury shot himself in the guest bedroom while visiting his sister. Is Arthur there hoping to cross over? The team investigates.
Being the most haunted county in
the country, the investigative trio also visit Calverton in the series
finale. The village is alive with paranormal activity, from the half-body
ghost seen by drivers on St George’s Lane, to the apparitions in Witches’ Wood,
to the many spirits in the local pub. The team attempt a HMHIH first as they
carry out a multiple location investigation both indoors and out, to provide
evidence of Calverton’s ghostly residents and to offer them and the current
village dwellers some peace.
To find out more about the team’s investigations in Nottinghamshire and to see more ghostly goings-on, tune in to REALLY at 10pm on Thursdays.
Who was Arthur Shrewsbury?
PICTURED: Arthur Shrewsbury
Arthur Shrewsbury (11 April 1856 – 19 May 1903) was an English cricketer and rugby football administrator. He was widely rated as competing with W. G. Grace for the accolade of best batsman of the 1880s; Grace himself, when asked who he would most like in his side, replied simply, “Give me Arthur”.
One day complained of kidney pains during a match for Lenton United and during that winter consulted various doctors and specialists who could discover nothing seriously wrong with him.
On May 12, 1903 Shrewsbury bought a revolver from a local gunsmith. He returned a week later after having difficulty in loading the gun. The clerk found that Shrewsbury had the wrong bullets and supplied the correct ones.
Shrewsbury went to his bedroom that evening and shot himself first in the chest and then, when that did not prove fatal, in the head. His girlfriend, Gertrude Scott, found him bleeding from a head wound and by the time a doctor arrived Shrewsbury was dead.
At the inquest, held the following day, the coroner decided that Shrewsbury had committed suicide, his mind having been unhinged by the belief that he had an incurable disease.The coroner added that there was, however, no evidence to show Shrewsbury was suffering from a major illness.
Shrewsbury’s funeral took place two days after his death at All Hallows Church, Gedling.
Police are appealing for information after a quantity of cigarettes were stolen from a Carlton newsagents.
The break-in happened at Whitens News on Westdale Lane at around 12.15am today (November 6).
The offenders smashed through the glass front door to gain entry before stealing cigarettes.
They fled the scene in a blue van displaying false number plates. Officers recovered the vehicle nearby.
Detective Sergeant Lauren Morgan, of Nottinghamshire Police, said: “Our investigation is ongoing, including house-to-house enquiries and checking CCTV.
Police are investigating a break-in at a newsagents in Carlton
“We’re appealing for anyone who saw anything or who has any information that could help us with our investigation to please contact us.
“Did you see the suspects leaving the area in a blue van? If you have have any information please report it to us.”
If you have any information please call Nottinghamshire Police on 101, quoting the incident number of nine of 6 November 2019, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.