A building society in Arnold is hoping to raise a substantial sum of cash to help the homeless this Christmas by organising a charity raffle.
The Front Street branch of The Nottingham has organised the festive fundraiser to benefit the homelessness charity Framework.
A range of prizes
– donated by the branch team and local businesses – include a chocolate
bouquet, luxury coffee hamper and large cuddly toy.
PICTURED: (L to r)Arnold branch colleagues Lili Moore and Dawn Bradbury with some of the raffle prizes.
Anyone
wanting to buy a ticket priced just £1 (£3 a strip) should pop into the branch
at 62 Front Street before the raffle, which has already raised £200, is drawn
on 21 December.
The
Nottingham has handed over in excess of £50,000 to Framework since it first
began raising funds for the charity in 2011.
Framework
deliver housing, health, employment, support and care services to people with a
diverse range of needs across the East Midlands and beyond and empower them to
move towards a better and more independent future.
A supermarket in Netherfield is backing two charities aiming
to put festive cheer into the lives of disadvantaged children this Christmas.
Morrisons is backing the Bags of Blessings appeal and also
supporting the Great Notts Christmas Toy Appeal.
Bags of Blessings is a newly formed local charity that
delivers toys to children whose families rely on food or clothing banks.
They were very successful last year delivering 335 bags
(each containing 4-5 gifts) to children.
The toy donation station in Morrison’s Netherfield store
People can donate toys, chocolates and other gifts which
will be used to make up the bags that will then be handed out to children
before Christmas.
The store is also supporting The Great Notts Christmas Toy
Appeal, a project that has been running for over 30 years and hands out donated
toys to needy children.
The donation station is in the store now for customers to
use if they want to add anything to the collection.
Morrison’s Netherfield store community champion, Sarah
Jackson, said: “We really want to try and give both charities as many toys as
we can so no child goes without.
Police have launched an appeal after machinery was stolen from Victoria Business Park in Netherfield.
The high-value items were stolen from a fenced area at the park on Friday, November 22, 2019.
The offenders cut fencing to gain entry and removed the equipment from the yard.
Machinery stolen in Netherfield
Detective Sergeant Mike Ebbins, of Nottinghamshire Police, said: “Our enquiries into this theft are ongoing and we’re keen to trace these high value items.
“If you have come across any of the items pictured or have been offered any of them for sale then I’d urge you to please get in touch with us.
“If you have any information please call Nottinghamshire Police on 101, quoting incident number 607 of 25 November 2019.”
A ‘dangerous’ offender who left a woman with broken bones in a brutal attack has been jailed for 13-and-a-half years.
Shaun Miller repeatedly punched and kicked the woman who was taken to the Queen’s Medical Centre with four broken ribs, a broken nose, a broken eye socket, two black eyes, a cut to her head and damage to her teeth.
The 38-year-old also smashed the woman’s phone in the incident at his former flat in Main Road, Gedling, on April 22, 2019.
Officers were alerted to the incident after the woman sent a picture of her injuries to a friend.
Miller initially denied the offences, but later admitted causing grievous bodily harm with intent, false imprisonment and criminal damage to a mobile phone on the first day of trial on 15 November 2019.
He was sentenced at Nottingham Crown Court yesterday (Friday 29 November) to 13-and-a-half years – three years of which were part of an extended sentence due to past offences.
Detective Constable Louise Donderici, who led the investigation, said: “The judge has classified him as a dangerous offender as he continues to displays an inability to have relationships with women that are not violent and has an unacceptable attitude towards women who do not conform to his will.
“This is a significant sentence for what was a horrific and brutal attack on a woman. I hope this sentence gives the victim some comfort and sense of justice.”
Residents in Arnold are being invited to help put the town on the map with the creation of a perfect pie.
Organisers of the Arnold Pie Competition have cooked up the contest in the hope of finding the perfect recipe that will make the town famous for a savoury snack – like Melton Mowbray.
The competition takes place on Saturday, February 8 at Arnold Methodist Church between 11am-3pm and costs just £3.50 to enter.
People are being encouraged to enter the Arnold Pie Competition
A panel of judges has been assembled and they will put each pie to the taste test before announcing the winner.
Competition organiser Emlyn Mousley said: “You have the Bakewell Tart and the Melton Mowbray pork pie, why not the Arnold pie?
“The idea of the competition is to create a pie that Arnold can become famous for, a pie that everyone knows and can be proud of. It would also help drive visitors to the town and give an economic boost to Arnold. “
A veterinary practice in Mapperley has come to the aid of a kitten found dumped in the street after being sexually abused.
The animal was found covered in mud and faeces at about 2pm last Sunday (November 24) by a member of the public in Wimbourne Road, in Nottingham.
Injuries to the kitten’s rectum suggested he had been sexually abused.
The RSPCA have now launched an appeal to find who is responsible for carrying out the sickening attack.
The kitten received treatment at Arnold and Carlton Vets where vet Ben Berlyne found severe damage to the rectum.
Mr Berlyne, the vet who treated Benny, said: “The damage to the rectum suggests the kitten has been sexually abused. I am now treating him with pain-killers and am trying to assess the extent of the injuries.
PICTURED: Benny the kitten at Arnold and Carlton Vets (IMAGE: RSPCA)
“He is such a lovely and friendly kitten in spite of the horrific ordeal he has been through. It is sickening to think what he has endured.
“On Tuesday he had some food which is good. He is also having antibiotics and anti-inflammatories and some gel has been applied to his rectum to help reduce the swelling and tearing in that area – but he still has a long way to go.”
Animal Collection Officer (ACO) Hayley Day was the officer sent to the scene to collect the kitten for emergency veterinary treatment. She is now appealing to the public for help in tracing those responsible.
She said: “When I collected the kitten I could see he was trying to defecate but was really struggling and he was so swollen around the rectum that I couldn’t tell what sex he was. He was also covered in faeces and very skinny.
“The vet said the injuries to his rectum suggested the kitten had been sexually abused and it is so upsetting to think of the pain and suffering he has been through as he is such a lovely and friendly chap and I have named him Benny. He just wants to cuddle.
“Benny was not microchipped and so I am appealing for help in tracing his owner who I may live near the area where he was found.
“I am also appealing for anyone who may have information as to who is responsible to contact the RSPCA appeals line on 0300 123 8018.”
A salon in Arnold has decided to do its bit to bring some cheer to homeless people this Christmas.
KH Hair in Arnold is collecting donations of much-needed items that will be distributed to homeless people in Nottingham.
Generous salon staff and customers have already started collecting items including shoes, warm clothing, food and toiletries which will be delivered to the Salvation Army’s William Booth Memorial Halls on December 11 and handed out to homeless people visiting the weekly Wednesday Kitchen.
KH Hair salon manager, Helen Stilwell, said “There seems to be more press than ever about homeless people in winter this year and it has really touched me seeing how people try to cope on the streets.
PICTURED: Helen Stilwell with generous donations received so far for their help the homeless campaign
“It’s horrible to think we are all cosy in our homes while there are people out there desperately trying to keep warm.
“I initially asked my work colleagues and friends to help but the response from our generous clients has been amazing too.”
The Wednesday kitchen is provided by the Salvation Army in partnership with S.A.F.E (Supporting Arms Feeding Everyone).
Salvation Army volunteer, Sharon Page, said: “We are very grateful to KH Hair for their help and support this winter. Towards the end of the year everyone always seems busier than usual so it’s really great when people still take the time to think of others who are less fortunate than themselves.
“We have around 100 guests who visit our centre on Wednesday nights for a hot meal and a warm place to sit for a while. It is fabulous we are able to offer them the added service of some warm, comfortable clothes to change into, a dry sleeping bag, a tent for shelter, toiletries and many other items that are only available thanks to the kindness of others who are willing to support us in this way.”
Helen is looking for donations of sleeping bags, tents, pillows, trainers/boots/shoes, coats, gloves, hats, rucksacks, socks, pyjamas, new underwear, trousers, jumpers and food.
“Our aim is to give people a sense that someone cares and that they are not invisible.” she added
Donations will be gratefully received at the KH Hair salon on High Street in Arnold until Tuesday, December 10.
A community bus operator with routes to towns and villages across Gedling borough has launched a new contactless payment service.
CT4N, which is part of Nottingham Community Transport, will now offer contactless payments on its services from this Monday (December 2).
Customers can purchase a range of tickets, including single trips, return and weekly tickets for both adults and under 19s, using their contactless payment card on the bus.
All major credit and debit cards are accepted in addition to Apple Pay and Google Pay.
Pictured (l to r) Barry Allitt, Service Delivery Manager CT4N; John Clarfelt CEO Ticketer (ticket machine supplier) and Ian Combellack, Managing Director CT4N.
CT4N managing director, Ian Combellack, said: “We are thrilled that, following a successful development and testing period, we can now launch our new ticket machines that accept contactless payments for our range of tickets.
“Customers have told us that this payment option will make using CT4N services even easier and will help us attract more people to use the bus.”
The contactless payment option will initially be available on borough CT4N Shopper services.
There are no changes to any tickets or fares and customers can still pay with cash. Season tickets will continue to be available to buy from tripese.co.uk.
Customers with Concession passes, Robin Hood season and pay-as-you-go cards will touch on their card as normal on the new ticket machines.
More information on
how to use contactless payments, plus route and timetable information for CT4N
services can be found at www.ct4n.co.uk.
New plans have been lodged to build eight low-cost homes and 14 flats for supported living on the site of the former Earl of Chesterfield pub in Carlton.
The boozer, which was also known by locals as ‘The Bruno’, got bulldozed back in 2017 as part of a plan for three retail units and 14 two-bedroom apartments.
But the scheme never materialised and the site on Carlton Hill has been standing vacant ever since.
PICTURED: An artist’s impression of the new housing development on Carlton HillABOVE: The Earl of Chesterfield site as it stands today
Nottingham Community Housing Asoociation have said they intend to secure grant funding to pay for the project from Homes England.
The development work is currently scheduled to begin ‘during the next financial year’.
The plans submitted to Gedling Borough Council (GBC) reveal there would be 19 parking spaces available and the entrance to the new properties would be on Southcliffe Road.
A report to Gedling Borough Council states: “The new dwellings are of a unit mix to suit local housing need. The houses are situated in a terrace along the northern boundary with a semi detached block on to Southcliffe Road to the south.
“We wanted to take the opportunity to build new houses that would be respectful to the existing buildings in the area in terms of design and materials and reinforce the public realm including the importance of Carlton Hill as a main route into Carlton.”
The move will be welcomed by nearby residents as the empty pub site has attracted flytippers since being demolished several years ago.
Gedling Borough Council planners will make a decision over the plans in the coming weeks.
A 19-year-old man has been jailed for three years following an investigation into a burglary in Gedling.
Harley Ashurst, of George Road, West Bridgford, pleaded guilty to five counts of burglary and one of fraud at Nottingham Crown Court yesterday (22 November).
The first burglary, which took place on Lowdham Road in Gedling, happened between the evening of Wednesday, October 9 and the early hours of Thursday 10 October 2019.
The other four burglaries took place on 15, 16, 17 and 18 October 2019. They were on Melton Road, George Road and Patrick Road, all in West Bridgford.
Ashurst was arrested by police after property from each burglary was found in a search of his home. As well as bank cards and ID documents, this included one victim’s wedding ring which was recovered by police and returned to its owner.
PICTURED: Harley Ashurst
PICTURED: Nottingham Crown Court
In several of the burglaries Ashurst had been through the fridge and kitchen cupboards, drinking from a bottle of vodka at one property. The bottle was tested for DNA, which was found to be a match for him.
The fraud offence related to the use of stolen bank cards, which Ashurst was caught doing on CCTV.
Investigator Martin Prentice said: “Ashurst was prolific in his crimes and stole both sentimental and high value items from his victims.
“Burglary is a highly invasive crime, particularly in a case like this where personal items and even food and drink were taken.”
“Nottinghamshire Police will always thoroughly investigate reports of burglary and we are committed to disrupting those who look to commit these crimes. I hope that the outcome today acts as a deterrent to anyone who would follow in Ashurst’s footsteps.”