Home Blog Page 852

Police appeal after crash in Arnold

0

Police are appealing for witnesses to a crash in Arnold last month to come forward.

Officers were called at around 5.45pm on Wednesday, March 25 to a crash between a Morris Minor and a Nissan Navara in Ollerton Road at the A614 Burntstump Hill junction.

Two men were taken to QMC, one with serious injuries.

A police spokesman said: “Were you in the area at the time? Do you have any dashcam footage? If you have any information that that could help with the investigation, please contact us.”

Anyone with any information should contact Nottinghamshire Police on 101

Tribute acts to rock this year’s Arnold Carnival

0

Preparations for this year’s Arnold Carnival – which takes place on June 16 and 17- are now underway, with a host of big entertainers already confirmed for the big day.

The annual free event returns to Arnot Hill park with a line-up including live music, dance, arts and crafts activities, a fun dog show, fun fair, BMX and skateboarding sessions, a memorial flypast and more.

Meanwhile, a host of big name tribute acts have now been lined up to entertain the crowds during the two-day event.

The events kick off on Saturday, June 16, with headliners THAT 80’S ROCK SHOW performing some of the biggest 80’s glam and hair-metal rock classics and power ballads from bands such as Def Leppard, Kiss, Whitesnake and many others.

COULD THEY BE MAGIC? Take That tribute act Take@That

Sunday’s headliners will be bringing the stadium rock to the park with performances from Queen tribute act Real Magic and Take That and Robbie Williams tribute Take@That.

Along with performances from professional musicians, there will also be a variety of community music, dance groups, local school bands, choirs and solo artists performing over the weekend.

The carnival has more to offer besides music, with over 150 craft, charity and trade stalls and a dedicated food and drink court with a fully licensed bar.

ROCK ON: 80s rock tribute group That 80s Rock Show

Children’s arts and crafts activity sessions will be hosted by Gedling Play Forum and a fun dog show will also be taking place over both days of the event.

The event is free to attend on both days with something for all the family to enjoy.

For more information about the carnival go to www.gedling.gov.uk/events

Three down, nine to go for Colwick’s fundraising marathon mum

0

A mother from Colwick will take on her fourth half-marathon of the year later this month as she looks to raise funds for new facilities at her son’s school.

Gemma Bardwell is planning to run 12 marathons during 2018 in a bid to raise £10,000 which will fund a new art and music room for St John the Baptist School in the village.

The ‘marathon mum’ has so far completed three half marathons in 2018 in Whitby, Leicester and London.

Her efforts have so far raised £1,800 for the cause.

Gemma told Gedling Eye: “The support I have received has been overwhelming and people have continued to give me words of encouragment and make donations to my JustGiving page.

Cowlick_marathon
BACKING: Cllr Meredith Lawrence donates money to Gemma Bardwell’s (right) charity challenge aiming to raise £10,000 for St John the Baptist School in Colwick. Also pictured is headmaster Chris Belton, left,

“I’ve found it hard to balance training as well as looking after my children, going to work and fundraising, but it’s all been worth it so far.

“So far we have managed to raise approx £1,800. This includes offline fundraising, a generous corporate sponsorship from painting contractor Slack and Rose and a £200 contribution from our local councillor Meredith Lawrence who is also supporting our fundraising efforts.”

The donation from Gedling Borough Council’s Colwick ward councillor, Meredith Lawrence has come from his councillor community fund, although he also plans to make a personal donation online.

Cllr Lawrence was full of praise for Gemma’s efforts.

He said: “I am really impressed at Gemma’s commitment and happy to help.”

Gemma will be now running her next marathon later this month – although this time, she won’t be running alone. She’ll now be joined by her husband as they plan to mark their seventh wedding anniversary by running the Longhorn Half-Marathon together.

Mrs Bardwell said she was glad she could do something to help out a ‘fantastic school’, which provides a fantastic education for her young son.

MARATHON MUM: Gemma Bardwell in action

She said: “It’s a fantastic school and the staff go above and beyond in terms of helping children achieve their potential.

“I couldn’t wish for a better school for my son. By raising this money not only will it further enhance the school but it will benefit our children even more.

“The Headteacher Chris Belton and I have various other plans to try and raise money throughout the year but we are mainly relying on the generousity of the community to help us reach our target.  We still have a long way to go though and I am determined to get as close to the target as possible.”

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/gemma-bardwell

Sherwood attempted murder arrest following collision

0

A man has been charged with attempted murder after a collision and subsequent assault in Sherwood.

Zahier Bashir, 41, of Valley Road, Nottingham, has been charged with attempted murder, GBH, dangerous driving, possession of an offensive weapon and breach of restraining order following the incident on Hucknall Road in Sherwood.

The incident happened in the early hours of Sunday, April 1 2018.

Two women, aged 23 and 44, sustained non-life threatening injuries during the attack, Both women were taken to Nottingham’s Queens Medical Centre for treatment for their injuries, which were not believed to be life threatening.

The incident resulted in part of Hucknall Road being closed until 4.15pm that day. The road has since reopened.

 

Bailiffs warned over aggressive behaviour when pursuing debts in Gedling borough

0

Bailiffs aggressively pursuing debts from people across Gedling borough will come under fresh scrutiny after new measures were announced today by ministers to tackle intimidating behaviour.

Ministers say that despite recent reforms they still have lingering concerns with a minority of bailiffs are still acting aggressively when collecting money debtors – and particularly those who are vulnerable.

The government has now called for evidence into these behaviours and will look to those directly involved to share their experiences to help stop this in its tracks.

Justice Minister Lucy Frazer said: “The majority of bailiffs act professionally and within the rules, but we have been told by those working on the front line that this may not always be the case.

“Aggressive tactics will not be tolerated, and through our call for evidence we will identify where the problems are and, if necessary, take action to ensure all bailiffs operate professionally and with proper respect and sensitivity.

In 2014, the government brought in new laws to protect the public from aggressive enforcement agents, while at the same time making sure that debts could still be collected fairly.

The first review of those reforms is published today (2 April), demonstrating positive progress since our changes. This includes better awareness around debtor rights and how to complain, more clarity for debtors about the fees that can be charged, the processes that should be followed, and where to go for advice.

It also found the overall effectiveness of proper enforcement has improved, with a greater proportion of debts now being successfully enforced.

However, following concerns raised by the advice sector, the call for evidence which will be launched shortly seeks to address those minority of bailiffs who continue to flout the rules and aggressively pressure vulnerable people.

New £20k gym extension to open at Calverton Leisure Centre next week

1

A new £20,000 expansion to a gym in Calverton will open next week.

An underused squashed court at Calverton Leisure Centre, which is owned by Gedling Borough Council, has been converted to make way for a new strength and conditioning free-weight training studio.

The new £20,000 expansion includes an Olympic lifting platform and bench press, squat rack, cable crossover, benches, dumbbells and weight plates.

The new gym expansion will double the existing capacity.

The new facilities will open to the public from Tuesday, April 3 and there will be a ribbon cutting event taking place on Thursday 29 March.

Councillor Henry Wheeler, Portfolio Holder for Housing, Health & Well-being said: “The new facilities look fantastic and are a great addition to Calverton Leisure Centre. With UK gym memberships increasing all the time, we understand the need for modern equipment and extra space.

He added: “We are very proud to offer affordable facilities like this one at Calverton for our residents, on their doorsteps.”

For more information about Gedling Borough Council’s leisure facilities visit www.gedling.gov.uk/leisure

Ban on housing benefit for young people in Gedling borough scrapped

0

Unemployed young people in Gedling borough will continue to receive housing benefit after the government scrapped plans to bar 18-21 year olds receiving the payout over fears it would increase homelessness.

Work and Pensions Secretary Esther McVey said today that the change, which reverses a key part of the 2015 Conservative general election manifesto, would “reassure all young people that housing support is in place if they need it”.

McVey said: “We want every young person to have the confidence to strive to fulfil their ambitions.

“For those young people who are vulnerable or face extra barriers, Universal Credit provides them with intensive, personalised support to move into employment, training or work experience; so no young person is left behind as they could be under the old benefits system.

“As we rollout Universal Credit, we have always been clear we will make any necessary changes along the way. This announcement today will reassure all young people that housing support is in place if they need it.”

Universal Credit is currently planned to be introduced into Gedling borough in November 2018

The new payment replaces six existing means-tested benefits: Working Tax Credit; Child Tax Credit; Housing Benefit; Income-related Employment and Support Allowance; Job Seeker’s Allowance; and Income Support and is It is paid monthly, rather than weekly.

Gedling Borough Council signs up to strategy which aims to strengthen links between Notts and Derby

0

Gedling Borough Council has formally signed up to a scheme which aims to strengthen ties between Nottingham and Derby and provide shared benefits to residents in both cities.

The authority today signed up to be part of the Derby Nottingham Metro Strategy which will strengthen co-operation between councils and businesses in the area to benefit local residents.

Over the last year, initiatives launched as part of the Metro Strategy have included Derby and Nottingham residents being able to access council library, gym and swim facilities in either city. The city councils have also joined forces on a combined commercial waste service bringing efficiencies and income generating opportunities to help maintain vital services.

A report by leading national consultancy Metro-Dynamics highlighted that closer joint working across the wider Derby and Nottingham area could provide an £11 billion boost to the local economy by 2030.

Gedling Borough Council Leader, Councillor John Clarke, said: “I’m very pleased as Leader of Gedling Borough Council to be signing the Metro strategy. This will benefit many of our residents who work in the city and in Derby. It will be an opportunity for us to work together on projects and explore funding opportunities which could ultimately save money and improve services for all our residents.”

Key business leaders have also given their backing to the Metro Strategy with Boots, Rolls-Royce, Toyota, East Midlands Airport, Trent Barton and the Federation of Small Businesses along with the Universities of Derby, Nottingham and Nottingham Trent joining a new Metro Growth Board.

The Derby Nottingham Metro Strategy was launched in April 2017 after consultation confirmed public support for it with three quarters of people agreeing both cities would benefit from working together more closely. It sets out a vision of what the area could look like by 2030 focusing on five key themes:

  • Metro Enterprise – promoting Derby and Nottingham world-wide, supporting businesses to innovate and find new markets
  • Metro Talent – ensuring a suitably skilled workforce through education and training
  • Connected Metro – better transport links to improve accessibility
  • Metro Living – supporting a modern urban lifestyle and vibrant city centres through leisure, culture and sport
  • Efficient Metro – joint working to protect and improve public services

Nottingham City Council Leader, Councillor Jon Collins, said: “It makes sense for local councils and businesses across the Metro area to work closely together on a wide range of issues. The Metro Strategy is about creating a ‘coalition of the willing’ in order to bring about real benefits to local residents.

“The work done so far has already shown what can be achieved though greater co-operation. But, as the Metro Dynamics report highlighted, there is potential to do much more by working across the wider Metro area so hopefully Gedling Borough Council coming on board is just the start.”

Former Home Brewery building in Arnold could soon house new office space

A scheme to transform the iconic Home Brewery building in Arnold into top quality office space took a step forward today.

The building- which is also known as Sir John Robinson House – is a Grade II building owned by Nottinghamshire County Council.

Now, the council will apply to the European Union for funding to create office space, which would then be rented out to businesses.

The iconic building is currently occupied by the council, but it is hoped the transformation could bring in cash for the council.

At a meeting of the council’s policy committee today (March 28), it was unanimously agreed that a bid be submitted to the EU, which could pay for half of the cost of refurbishing the building.

The results of a feasibility study are expected in the coming weeks, and the outcome of the study would then shape the bid submitted to the EU.

However preliminary findings show there is a shortage of high-grade office space in the Gedling borough area, which could suggest that the scheme would be profitable.

Kay Cutts is the leader of the Conservative-run council, as well as representing the Radcliffe-on-Trent ward.

Before voting in favour of the proposal, she said: “I have to say I’m not a fan of EU funding, it’s one of those ghastly things where you ask ‘can I have some of my own money back’, and they say ‘yes, and now we’re going to tell you how to spend it and what you can spend it on’.

“I’m more interested in getting on with the job we need to do, and making this commercial.”

Chris Barnfather is the Conservative councillor for the Newstead ward, and said: “It’s a fantastic building, but it’s been a bit of a white elephant for many years now, it’s not been fully occupied for some time now.

“Gedling is short of good office accommodation, and while the building as it currently is may not be user-friendly for our purposes, I’m sure that with the right thought about how to get the most out of the building, it could be made user friendly.”

The deadline for the application for EU funding is April 20, and the results of the feasibility study are expected in the coming weeks.

The plan to apply to the EU for funding was approved unanimously at today’s meeting.

Mapperley-based charity issue scratchcard scam warning

0

A warning has been issued over suspected scammers targeting kindhearted people wanting to support a Mapperley-based charity.

The potential hoax came to light after Nottinghamshire Hospice received reports of people selling scratchcards on behalf of the charity in the Bilborough area.

The charity confirmed they don’t sell scratchcards to raise funds for the cause.

Police have been made aware.

Notts_Hospice
PICTURED: Nottinghamshire Hospice in Mapperley

A spokesperson for Nottinghamshire Hospice said: “We have been made aware of a probable scam in the Bilborough area involving people going door to door selling scratchcards claiming to represent Nottinghamshire Hospice.

“These people do not represent Nottinghamshire Hospice – we do not use/sell scratch cards for our lottery and there are no plans to do so.

They added: “If you or anyone you know gets a visit from anyone claiming to be from Nottinghamshire Hospice, please call 101 and report the incident. Local police have been made aware. By no means hand over any money.”