Sign up for our daily e-mail newsletter

Got a story? Email us:


22.5 C

MATCH REPORT: Selston 6 Linby CWFC 0


By Kieran Booker

League leaders Selston were able to continue the form which won them the league last year when they beat Linby 6-0 earlier today.

An impressive first half from the home side led to Linby being 4-0 down at the break before Elliott Jones and Thomas Widdowson wrapped things up.

Selston thought they had taken the lead after only 3 minutes when Carl Moore smashed the ball into the net only for the linesman to hold his flag up for offside. The home side were ahead only three minutes later though when Sean Gregory was able to rocket home a shot from over 40 yards out. The midfielder was able to latch on to Glenn Guyatt’s clearance to fire the ball back over the goalkeeper’s head.

- Advertisement -

After having his earlier effort disallowed, Carl Moore was able to grab himself a goal to double his side’s lead with only 10 minutes gone when he scored from a set piece. After being awarded a free kick on the edge of the Linby box, Carl stood up and hit the ball along the floor into the goal keeper’s right side.

Things then looked wrapped up for the home side with only 18 minutes gone when they picked up a third. Sean Gregory was able to time a brilliant ball into the right channel for Kane Hempshall who was then able to calmly slide the ball past the keeper from 12 yards out.

The fourth Selston goal came from a quick break away just before half an hour was played. They were able to react quickly to win the ball back on the half way line through Sean Gregory, he was then able to play in Elliot Jones who charged forward and smashed the ball away.

Despite the game looking over Linby started to look more settled as the half went on. They were able to get good passages of posession without ever really threatening Ball’s goal. Their best chance of the half falling to Troy Smith just before the end, unfortunately the striker could only see his shot fly inches past the post after being played through.

Selston were able to win this division last season and from today’s performance you could see why. They were able to comfortably pass the ball around and linked up well throughout the game.

- Advertisement -

The second half was more of an even affair with both sides taking turns to control the play. It was Selston who would capitalise when in charge though as they were able to grab themselves another after 67 minutes. Glenn Guyatt was able to initially stop Carl Moore’s effort but unfortunately for the Linby keeper he could only push the ball into the path of Elliott Jones who put the ball into the empty net.

The gloomy weather summed up the mood of Linby’s day and Lewis Saxby would have already been thinking of the full time whistle when Selston grabbed their sixth in the last minute of play. Substitute Joe Riley was able to win the ball back for his side before it fell to Thomas Widdowson, the striker playing the ball under Guyatt to finish things off.

Spotted something? Got a story? Email our newsdesk

Read more from Gedling Eye

Get your daily news briefing every evening…

Sign up for our daily news email and receive Gedling borough news direct to your email inbox in the early evening, to read at your leisure on your desktop, tablet or mobile wherever you are.

We don’t spam and you'll only receive one email a day

Join the discussion


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.


Stories you may have missed...