Carlton TownFootballSport

MATCH REPORT: Carlton Town 2-0 AFC Mansfield

Goals from Kieran Walker and Oliver Clark saw Carlton Town beat AFC Mansfield 2-0 in the quarter-finals of the Notts FA Senior Cup.

It was a welcome home win, the first since October and only the third of the entire season, and manager Wayne Scott will have been pleased to have seen Ben Hutchinson return to the side following his head injury in the win at Pickering seven weeks ago.

It was the Bulls who had the first decent chance of the game but Oliver Fearon fired over the bar.

A lovely move involving Riece Bertram, Motshweni and Aaron Opoku saw Bertram have a shot blocked but, with a deceptively powerful wind at their backs, Mansfield took control of the half and created a series of chances that they failed to take.

A long throw was flicked on to Pat Lindley but he shot wide from a good position at the far post.

Next it was James Ghaichem’s turn, as he showed some lovely skill to control a free kick from Liam Marden, turn and get a shot at goal, comfortably saved by Jack Steggles.

Ghaichem’s best chance fell five minutes before half time when Carlton failed to clear a long ball.  The midfielder found himself in a great position but shot wide of the target.

Having been under pressure the Millers should in fact have taken the lead on the stroke of half time.  Niall Davie had just fired over after an excellent run before Carlton were awarded a corner.  Motshweni’s delivery dropped to Eddie Clarke and Kyle Stovell but neither could force the ball home from a couple of yards.

READ MORE:  MATCH REPORT: Worksop Town 0-1 Carlton Town

The second half was a completely different affair as Carlton made Mansfield pay for those first half missed chances.

The Millers opened the scoring on 50 minutes.  A Davie free kick was flicked on by Eddie Clarke and Walker stole in to steer the ball into the corner of the net past Tom Crosby.

Opoku then advanced down the left before pulling back to Stovell who fired just wide.

Crosby then made an excellent save at his near post from a fierce Oliver Clark effort after a Walker long throw wasn’t cleared.

At the other end Steggles fumbled a shot from Fearon and Eddie Clarke had to be alert to clear the danger.  That was a rare chance in the second period for the Bulls who seemed to run out of steam, albeit the wind was against them.

Hutchinson was brought on with seven minutes remaining and Carlton sealed the win on 87 minutes when Oliver Clark capped a fine performance by heading a Walker throw into the corner of the net.

There was still time for Mansfield’s Jack Broadhead to get himself sent off in the last minute for an elbow on Steggles to cap a miserable night for the visitors.

Goals: Walker 50, O Clark 87;

Attendance: 75

Subscribe to our weekly newsletter

* indicates required

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Back to top button