MATCH REPORT: Carlton Town 1-3 Worksop Town

 MATCH REPORT: Carlton Town 1-3 Worksop Town

Carlton Town suffered their first league defeat of the season as they went down 3-1 at home to Worksop Town.

All the goals came in the first half of an entertaining game as both teams created numerous opportunities to score.  The Tigers were the more clinical in front of goal, and although they had to defend for sustained periods in the second half, they showed enough nous to keep the Millers at bay and earn the three points.

Carlton pushed forward from the kick off but it was the visitors who had the first clear chance of the game on eight minutes.   A cross from the left found Craig Mitchell completely unmarked six yards from goal but he steered his shot wide when it looked easier to score.

Carlton didn’t take heed of the let-off and were a goal behind four minutes later.  A lofted ball down the right caught out Brown, with goalkeeper Jack Steggles starting to come of his line but then thinking better of it.  Lynton Karkach hooked the ball into the penalty area where Niall Smith headed home past Steggles.

Just like the Frickley game, Carlton conceded a second goal within two minutes.  Smith send the ball in from the left and Mitchell was once again on his own in front of goal.  He didn’t miss this time and the travelling support were in raptures.

Carlton should have pulled a goal back 60 second later.  Aaron Opoku beat the offside trap and was clean through on goal but with just David Reay to beat he fired wide of the post.

Nonetheless Carlton kept their composure and were back in the game just five minutes later thanks to a fourth penalty of the season.  Brown fed Opoku who darted into the area before being brought down by Matthew Reay.  Maddison duly converted, sending David Reay the wrong way.

Both sides played some neat passing football.  Mitchell almost got a second, only to be denied by a Toby Moore block, while Opoku saw a shot deflected over the bar after a clever pass from Tyler Blake.

The key moment of the game came on the stroke of half time.  Niall Davie, enjoying another outstanding game, played a lovely ball into Blake.  He advanced into the area and seemed to be brought down by Matthew Reay. The referee turned down the penalty claim and Worksop broke quickly.  Oliver Clark lost possession in midfield and Mitchell advanced to the corner of the penalty area before firing across Steggles and into the net.

The Millers forced their opponents back in the opening period of the second half.  Clark won possession and advanced down the right before finding Davie whose 20-yard effort was excellently saved by David Reay, tipping the ball around the post.

Davie and Blake were causing Worksop all sorts of problems but the visitors kept their composure and clear chances were kept to a minimum.

Clake put one shot over the bar after some neat football by substitute Mamoke Akaunu and Akaunu himself claimed a penalty after going down under challenge from Steve Wankiewicz but again the officials were not interested.

Opoku saw another shot deflected wide and the Carlton defence dealt reasonably comfortably with the Worksop attacks, but in truth both defences were on top in the second half and, despite a decent enough performance, the Millers could have no complaints about their first league defeat of the season.

Carlton Town: Steggles, Robinson (Akaunu 65), Brown, Ball, Moore, Maddison, Marshall (Wilson 77), O Clark (Stovell 77), Opoku, Blake, Davie.  Unused substitutes: Charlton, Otim

Goals: Maddison 20 (pen); Niall Smith 12, Craig Mitchell 14, 45

Carlton Town Supporters Club MOTM: Niall Davie

Attendance: 178

Alan Murphy

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.