Carlton TownSport

MATCH REPORT: Carlton Town 0-4 Stamford

Carlton Town’s miserable home record continued as they were hammered 4-0 by Stamford.

Despite being second best for the majority of the game, they did enjoy a spell of pressure early in the second half when just two goals behind and had a glorious opportunity to get back into the game when they were awarded a penalty kick.  But Tyler Blake’s effort was saved, Stamford went three ahead within five minutes and it was game over.

Once again the pitch was awful but Stamford, with a strong wind at their backs, looked much more comfortable on it and were ahead within seven minutes.

John Sands went through on goal.  His shot hit the post, Ryan Seal’s follow-up was saved by Jack Steggles but Ollie Brown-Hill made no mistake from close range.

The visitors extended their lead on 24 minutes.  Jake Duffy’s cross from the left found Rob Morgan, whose lovely header was too well placed for Steggles to reach.

Morgan and Brown-Hill ran the show in the first half as Carlton struggled to get any possession at all.  Brown-Hill had the chance to make it 3-0 before half time as he ran onto a lofted through ball but Steggles was able to save.

Scott made a double substitution at half time, bringing on Riece Bertram and Dylan Otshudy and, with the wind at their backs, Carlton immediately set about Stamford.

Stovell did well to hold onto the ball before feeding Blake whose shot was blocked.  The Millers then forced a series of throw-ins and corners as Stamford struggled to keep hold of the ball. 

The referee awarded a penalty to Carlton but Blake’s weak effort was easily saved by Dan Haystead.  The momentum Carlton had built up evaporated with the miss and Stamford took full advantage, putting the game out of reach with their third goal on 61 minutes.  A free kick was delivered into the penalty area and Steggles’s punch only found Kern Miller.  His shot was dropped by Steggles and Morgan was on hand to fire home.

Carlton still kept trying and Blake missed a header after a fine cross by Connor Bartle.  Wood saw an effort from distance fly over before Stamford made it 4-0 with nine minutes remaining.  Brown-Hill sent Seal clear and he slotted easily past an exposed Steggles.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Back to top button