Home Sport MATCH REPORT: Marske Utd 4 – 0 Carlton Town

MATCH REPORT: Marske Utd 4 – 0 Carlton Town

by Alan Murphy
0 comment

Carlton Town avoided relegation from the Evo-Stik league despite a final-day 4-0 defeat at Marske Utd.

Gresley’s defeat at Pontefract coupled with AFC Mansfield’s relegation on ground grading issues meant that although Carlton finished 19th in the table they avoided relegation by default.

With a raucous travelling support backing the Millers on the second-longest away trip in their history, Carlton started steadily but Marske soon gained the upper hand and an early strike from Jamie Owens saw Jack Steggles make an excellent save to his right.

The excellent Jack Blackford fired in a shot from the edge of the box which drew another fine save from Steggles as Marske pushed forward.

Captain and centre-half Adam Wheatley advanced and he drew yet another excellent save from Steggles with the game barely a quarter of an hour old.

The Millers supporters, who included Chairman Mick Garton standing with the fans, did their best to get behind the team but another Marske attack saw Blackford shoot. His shot was saved by Steggles and when Craig Gott followed up with the rebound, his effort struck Blackford and was cleared.

Carlton had a rare attack on 24 minutes when Oliver Clark crossed for Ryan Andrews to head towards goal but his effort was deflected away for a corner.

From another Carlton corner Curtis Round ran the full length of the pitch before feeding Matthew Waters who fired over the bar.

Blackford and Owens then combined before that latter hit a fierce shot across the face of goal.

The Seasiders took the lead on 34 minutes.  Round crossed from the left to Waters who fired home form inside the area.

Five minutes later Marske doubled their lead.  Owens slipped a ball through to Blackford and he ran clear on goal and slotted past Steggles.

The Millers began the second half with some purpose.  Frost, brought on at half time, ran at goal and fired inches wide within 30 seconds of the restart.  A Ben Hutchinson corner then saw Robert Dean do well to tip an Oliver Clark header over the bar.

Back came Marske and Blackford and Owens combined again before Blackford fired against the post.

There was no lack of effort from the Carlton players and when Oliver Clark headed into the area Moore hit a spectacular overhead kick which drew a fine save from Dean.

Opoku, brought on late in the first half after Ryan Andrews was injured, had been causing some problems for the home defence and after an excellent run down the right he saw a shot saved by Dean.  Stovell came in for the rebound only to see his shot saved as well.

Marske broke immediately with Dean clearing the ball down the right and Owens firing a shot over Steggles and into the net.  That was on 84 minutes and two minutes later Owens got his second, converting unmarked from close range after a cross from the right.

There was one final chance for Carlton with Kieran Walker heading a Frost free kick wide but by this stage the game was long gone.

With the updates from Pontefract confirming safety, the players came over to the away supporters to thank them for their efforts.

Those supporters did the club proud today and will hoping for a much better campaign next season.

Carlton Town: Steggles, Moore, Ebanks, Ikwa (Frost 46), E Clarke, Walker, Bertram, O Clark, Blake, Hutchinson, (Stovell 67), Andrews (Opoku 40).  Unused subs: Rollinson

Goals: Matthew Waters 34, Jack Blackford 39, Jamie Owens 84, 86

Carlton Town Supporters Club MOTM: Jack Steggles

Attendance – 210

You might have missed..

Leave a Comment

* By using this form you agree with the storage and handling of your data by this website.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Gedling Eye uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More