Sign up for our daily newsletter

Got a story? Email us:


15.8 C

Match Report: Sheffield 0 – 2 Carlton Town FC

The Millers remain in 6th position with most of the teams around them winning as well


NPL First Division East – December 16

Second half goals from Niall Davie and Alex Howes saw Carlton Town complete a league double over Sheffield with a 2-0 win in Dronfield.

The home side had to play more than 70 minutes with just 10 men after an early red card for Harry Mitchell and will feel that they might have got something from the game having hit the bar when the game was goalless.  But Carlton played some nice football at times and were a changed outfit from the one that drew 0-0 against 10 men at the same ground in February.  They had chances to score even more goals and were good value for the win.

Tommy Brookbanks and Mark Harvey made two changes to the side which had beaten Cleethorpes last time out.  Alex Hardwick returned from suspension and Shea Thompson-Harris returned from injury.  They replaced Michael Ford and the suspended Lewis Durow.  In Durow’s absence, Niall Hylton moved to left back.

- Advertisement -

Hardwick might have opened the scoring after just five minutes but he couldn’t get a proper connection on a David Adegbola cross that was headed on by Davie.

Sheffield responded and Felix Annan made a fine save from Cameron Johnson after a quick Club counter.

Mick Garton spoke to coach Jonno Bell after Carlton Town had beaten Sheffield FC 2-o in Dronfield (Courtesy of Carlton Town TV)

By this stage Mitchell was already in the book following a shirt tug and he received his marching orders on just 19 minutes following an unnecessary foul on Greg Tempest.  Some referees may have given him a final warning but he really shouldn’t have put the referee to the choice in the first place.

Sheffield of course played over an hour against Carlton last season with 10 men after their goalkeeper was sent off and they did so with some style.  Certainly the lack of a man wasn’t obvious in the first half and Johnson was inches away from putting the home side in front after a fine run and cross by Benni Ndlovu.

Howes saw one attempted chip drop just over and he created another opportunity for Adegbola which led to a good save from Edd Hall.  Minutes later a super run from Davie led to a Hylton cross which Hardwick headed back across goal.  Davie connected in the penalty area but it was a straightforward save for Hall.

- Advertisement -

Davie in particular was causing Sheffield problems and a 30 yard mazy run led to another Hall save.

Peter Dearle looked to have picked up a knock and he was replaced at half time by Lamin Sisawo-Danso.  Carlton looked solid at the back but Sheffield were desperately close to opening the scoring on 49 minutes when Annan tipped a Rory Coleman free kick onto the bar.

Carlton continued to try and stretch the 10 men, constantly looking to pass the ball around rather than hit it long.  Tempest and Khyle Sargent were having effective games in the middle with Davie and Howes a constant threat and Adegbola and Hylton looking to get wide, but some of the play was too laboured allowing Club to keep their shape which they did well.

Another excellent run from Davie led to Tempest putting Hardwick clear on goal.  His first touch was too heavy – perhaps a consequence of so long out suspended – and Hall gathered at his feet.

Greg Tempest is back from injury and loves playing for Carlton Town (Courtesy of Carlton Town TV)

With 20 minutes remaining Thompson-Harris, having a fine game at full back, was replaced by striker Musa Jawarra as Carlton went for the win.  And within four minutes they were ahead.  Sargent and Tempest fed the ball into Davie.  He turned quickly, darted to the edge of the box and rifled low into the corner of the net to the delight and the superb travelling support enjoying what is always their favourite trip of the season.

- Advertisement -

Sheffield weren’t finished and Johnson fired straight at Annan when clean through. The Millers needed a second and they got it on 82 minutes.  A Sargent throw-in on the right saw Davie slip on the edge of the box.  He got to his feet and played a lovely pass to Howes who stroked home from 15 yards and led the whole team to the side of the ground occupied by the visiting supporters to celebrate in style.

Jawarra should have made it 3-0 shortly afterwards when he ran clean through but he lifted his shot high over the bar.  It didn’t matter and the whole squad came to thank the raucous support at the final whistle.

Carlton Town: F Annan, S Thompson-Harris (M Jawarra 70), N Hylton, P Dearle (L Sisawo-Danso 46), D Freeman, G Tempest, D Adegbola, K Sargent A Hardwick (Z Hill 85), A Howes, N Davie. Unused subs:  M Ford, L Bateman

Goals: N Davie 74, A Howes 82

Carlton Town Supporters Club MOTM: Niall Davie

Att: 380

Spotted something? Got a story? Email our newsdesk

Read more from Gedling Eye

Get your daily news briefing every evening…

Sign up for our daily news email and receive Gedling borough news direct to your email inbox in the early evening, to read at your leisure on your desktop, tablet or mobile wherever you are.

We don’t spam and you'll only receive one email a day

Join the discussion


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.


Stories you may have missed...