Sign up for our daily newsletter

Got a story? Email us:


9.7 C

Match Report: Carlton Town FC 2 – 1 Consett

The great escape continues - Its five wins from six for The Millers


NPL First Division East

8 April 2023

Carlton Town won at home for the first time in five months as they came from behind to beat Consett 2-1 at Stoke Lane.

The Millers recovered from a poor start to dominate the game and deservedly won for the fifth time in six games as they continued their unlikely battle against the drop.  Only goal difference now sees them in the relegation zone with four games of the season remaining.

- Advertisement -

Mark Harvey and Tommy Brookbanks made four changes to the side which had lost against Stockton Town last time out.  Into the side came Khyle Sargent, Niall Hylton, Danny Elliott and Aaron O’Connor in place of Lawrence Gorman, Kyle Tomlin, Kyle Dixon and Charlie Marzano.

Consett came into the game on the back of two successive wins knowing that another three points would banish any lingering relegation fears.  Backed by an impressive number of travelling fans they started much the better side and were ahead on just five minutes when Nathan Greenwood’s speculative effort from distance beat Mikey Emery at his near post.

The great escape continues as Carlton finally get a home win, 5 wins from 6. Tommy speaks to CTFC Tv (Courtesy of Youtube)

The visitors almost doubled their lead 10 minutes later when Daniel Barlow lifted the ball over Emery only to see his shot strike the post and bounce back into the arms of the relieved goalkeeper.

The Steelmen suffered a blow midway through the half when centre half Daniel Capewell had to go off injured after a nasty looking collision.  It was perhaps no coincidence that after his departure it was Carlton who suddenly looked the more likely to score.

Goalkeeper Mark Foden made an excellent save at close range from O’Connor after an Alex Howes cross and the visitors scrambled the ball clear as Carlton looked set to score.

- Advertisement -

Shortly afterwards Alex Troke saw a shot blocked from another howes cross before Troke, Niall Davie and Jared Holmes combined well to force a corner.  Davie took the flag kick and when the ball was only half cleared Elliott fired high over the bar.

Elliott and Davie in particular were excelling in midfield and the latter should have been awarded a goal on the stroke of half time when his inswinging corner was pulled away from inside the goal by Foden.  The home supporters were clear that the ball had crossed the line before Foden had caught it but the linesman disagreed.

Davie didn’t have to wait long to get his recompense as he equalised two minutes into the second half, latching onto an Emery clearance, darting into the area and firing low past Foden at his near post.

Howes then picked up an injury which saw Lewis Durow come on at left back and Hylton push forward.  The switch saw the Millers swarm forward in search of a second goal.  O’Connor was pulled down when going clean though on goal by Ben Milburn 30 yards out to earn the Consett man a yellow card.  Troke almost made them pay more dearly with a fabulous free kick that cannoned off the crossbar with Foden beaten.

Josh from Carlton Town Tv talks to Alex Troke following his winner from the penalty spot v Consett (Courtesy of Youtube)

Holmes then flicked on a Durow throw to O’Connor who drew a fine save from Foden.

- Advertisement -

Elliott then won the ball in midfield and played in Davie who created an opportunity for Troke but his shot went wide.

Next it was Davie’s turn to breach the Consett defence only to be denied by Foden before Holmes lifted an effort just over the bar.

By this stage it was more or less all Carlton, with Consett unable to beat Dan Brown or Dean Freeman at the back and Sargent and Durow dealing with the wide threat.  The winning goal finally came with 15 minutes remaining after Milburn handled a Durow throw to gift the Millers a penalty.  Milburn picked up a second yellow card to reduce the Steelmen to 10 men and Troke stepped up to fire low into the corner to the delight of the home support.

Carlton had to be wary of a Consett equaliser and inevitably sat a little deeper in the final minutes of the game but in truth it was the Millers who should have extended their lead.  Holmes headed just over the bar and substitute Tomlin charged down a Foden attempted clearance and almost created a goal for Troke who mishit his shot.

Hylton then powered down the left wing and hit a fierce effort that beat Foden but crashed against the angle of post and bar before Davie saw another goalbound effort deflected away for a corner.

Ultimately it didn’t matter as the Millers secured a first home win, indeed their first home points, since mid-November.  They have given themselves a fighting chance of avoiding the drop and the supporters showed their appreciation at the final whistle.

Carlton Town: M Emery, K Sargent, N Hylton, D Brown, D Freeman, J Holmes, D Elliott (K Dixon 79), N Davie, A Troke, A O’Connor (K Tomlin 84), A Howes (L Durow 56). Unused substitutes: R Stainsby, L Gorman

Goals: N Davie 47, A Troke 75 (pen); Nathan Greenwood 5

Carlton Town Supporters Club MOTM – Niall Hylton

Att: 150

Spotted something? Got a story? Email our newsdesk

Read more from Gedling Eye

Get your daily news briefing every evening…

Sign up for our daily news email and receive Gedling borough news direct to your email inbox in the early evening, to read at your leisure on your desktop, tablet or mobile wherever you are.

We don’t spam and you'll only receive one email a day

Join the discussion


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.


Stories you may have missed...