Sign up for our daily newsletter

Got a story? Email us: news@gedlingeye.co.uk

THE VOICE OF GEDLING BOROUGH SINCE 2015

8.5 C
Gedling

Sunglasses warning issued after fire rips through vehicle

Bookmark

People in Gedling borough are being asked not to leave glass objects in direct sunlight following a vehicle fire caused by refracted sunlight.

On Saturday (27), Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service received a call to van fire in the county at 5.05pm. 

A crew attended the incident and used a hose reel to extinguish the fire.

A fire investigation determined that prescription sunglasses left in direct sunlight on the dashboard of the vehicle was the most likely cause of the fire.

- Advertisement -

Photos from the scene show the extent of the damage with most of the dashboard melted and a hole pierced through the windscreen.

Station Manager Chris Navin said: “With the sunny days approaching we ask people to be careful about not placing glass objects in direct sunlight as the consequences can be devastating.

“We have seen fires in the past where sunlight has refracted off objects like magnifying mirrors, containers of water and fish tanks. 

“These objects should be kept out of direct sunlight, and please also make sure that you have a working smoke alarm on every level of your home.”

Spotted something? Got a story? Email our newsdesk news@gedlingeye.co.uk

Read more from Gedling Eye

Get your daily news briefing every evening…

Sign up for our daily news email and receive Gedling borough news direct to your email inbox in the early evening, to read at your leisure on your desktop, tablet or mobile wherever you are.

We don’t spam and you'll only receive one email a day

Join the discussion

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Stories you may have missed...