10.4 C
Wednesday, February 28, 2024

Woman left with serious leg injuries after collision with van near Nottingham Racecourse

Police arrested were called to Racecourse Road at 5.40pm on Tuesday (27) and made the arrests.

Plans revealed for 19 new industrial units on former Total Fuel site in Colwick

The site, which was formerly a major fuel distribution centre for Total Petroleum but has been unused since 2019, is located off Colwick Loop Road in Colwick Industrial Estate.

Have say on fate of ‘iconic’ County Hall after council make move to new Linby offices in 2025

The iconic building, with its green roof, has been the council’s headquarters since 1946

HMRC stops accepting credit cards for tax bill payments


Self-employed workers in Gedling borough will no longer be able to pay their self-assessment tax bills with a credit card following new changes introduced by HMRC this week.

Taxpayers had previously been able to pay their tax bill with a personal credit card using their HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) online account or with a paying-in slip if they still receive paper bills.

But now, sole traders and company directors are no longer able to use their own credit card to pay this bill.

Instead self-employed workers will now have to use a business credit card – which many will not have – or pay via bank transfer or debit card.

The Low Incomes Tax Reform Group (LITRG) has said it’s concerned that some people would struggle to find a way to pay in time, and that some could resort to taking out high-interest loans as they could not pay by credit card.

- Advertisement -

“Making payments may not be straightforward for some taxpayers, and we are keen to see that these changes are publicised as widely as possible,” said Anne Fairpo, who chairs LITRG.

“If making the tax payment will cause hardship, we strongly recommend people contact HMRC as soon as possible, and certainly before the due date of payment, to discuss their case.”

HMRC told the BBC letters have been sent as part of a marketing campaign signalling the changes.

An individual who already has a tax debt and is on a low income should visit the Tax Aid website, a charity that can offer assistance in suitable cases.

Spotted something? Got a story? Email our newsdesk news@gedlingeye.co.uk

Read more from Gedling Eye

Get your daily news briefing every evening…

Sign up for our daily news email and receive Gedling borough news direct to your email inbox in the early evening, to read at your leisure on your desktop, tablet or mobile wherever you are.

We don’t spam and you'll only receive one email a day

Join the discussion


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.


Stories you may have missed...