Gedling MP Tom Randall welcomes government’s job retention scheme

 Gedling MP Tom Randall welcomes government’s job retention scheme

PICTURED: Tom Randall is the Conservative candidate for Gedling

Share this:

Gedling MP Tom Randall has welcomed the opening of the Government’s coronavirus job retention scheme which allows employers in the borough to claim wages support.

Businesses across Gedling borough affected by the Coronavirus crisis will be able to claim up to £2,500 a month towards staff wages as part of the Government’s Job Retention Scheme, which went live on Monday (April 20).

Employers can apply for direct cash grants through HMRC’s new online portal – with the money expected to land in their bank accounts within six working days.

The job retention scheme, announced by Chancellor Rishi Sunak as part of a package of support to protect jobs and businesses, allows employers to claim for a cash grant of up to 80% of a furloughed employees wages, capped at £2,500 a month.

Millions of people across the UK are expected to benefit from the scheme, with businesses including Pret a Manger, Brewdog and Timpsons using it to ensure staff keep their jobs and are paid whilst many high street businesses are closed.

Rishi Sunak
PICTURED: Chancellor Rishi Sunak

HMRC’s easy to use portal has a step by step application process and up to 5,000 staff will be manning phone lines and webchat services to ensure any questions can be answered.

Tom Randall, the Conservative MP for Gedling, said the scheme would now give much needed financial support to local businesses struggling during lockdown.

He said: “This is welcome news for business across Gedling in what are unprecedented times and I would advise those which are struggling to apply for the funding.

“I would urge everyone across my constituency to follow government guidelines to stay at home, to protect our NHS and save lives and if people do need help or advice please do not hesitate to contact myself and my team.”

Chancellor of the Exchequer Rishi Sunak said:“Our unprecedented job retention scheme will protect millions of jobs across the country and is now up and running.

“It’s vital that our economy gets up and running again as soon as it’s safe – and this scheme will allow that to happen.”

Last week the Chancellor announced the scheme will be extended for a further month until the end of June, to reflect continuing Covid-19 lockdown measures.

Gedling Eye Reporter

Gedling Eye Reporter

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.