4.4 C
Nottingham
Sunday, May 15, 2022

Colwick waste fire appears to be accidental, says fire service

Residents were asked to shut their doors and windows after 20 tonnes of paper caught fire at the site on Private Road 2, Colwick,

More articles

A large waste fire in Colwick on Friday (15) is believed to have been started accidentally, the fire service has said.

Residents were asked to shut their doors and windows after 20 tonnes of paper caught fire at the site on Private Road 2, Colwick,

- Advertisement -

Nottinghamshire Fire & Rescue said the blaze has been established as accidental, with the most likely cause thought to be lithium batteries discarded into general waste.

A Fire Service spokesman said: “On Friday 15 April at 08:35am we were called to Colwick Industrial Estate, where 20 tonnes of general waste materials were burning.

Fire Colwick

“Crews from Carlton, London Road, Arnold, Highfields and Edwinstowe, Collingham, and Hucknall attended the incident, plus the Aerial Ladder Platform, Ashfield’s High Volume Pump and the Water Carrier from Worksop Fire Station. The fire was extinguished by approximately 1pm, and crews revisited at 6pm to reinspect the scene.”

- Advertisement -

Phil Revill, group manager at Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service, said: “Lithium battery fires in waste disposal centres are avoidable.

“We ask that members of the public think before discarding batteries into their general waste.

“Thankfully we were able to contain this fire within a matter of hours, but irresponsible waste disposal does have consequences. If you are unsure on what you can or cannot bin, please contact your local council.”

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

- Advertisement -

Don't Miss