People in Gedling borough are been warned about the dangers of overloading sockets by an electrical safety charity.
Electrical Safety First is concerned that many in the borough may be putting themselves at unnecessary risk due to unsafe electrical set-ups
Most people have extension leads in their homes, using 4-way bar adaptors to increase the number of appliances that they can plug into a wall socket. However, although there is space to plug in four appliances, this does not mean it is always safe to do so.
Of those who said they do use extension leads or adaptors in their home, many also carry out daisy chaining, where one extension lead is plugged into another, which could pose a fire risk.
Lesley Rudd, chief executive of Electrical Safety First, said: “Take a few minutes to make sure you’re not daisy-chaining extension leads or overloading your plug sockets, and that you are charging your devices on hard, non-flammable surfaces.”
The charity urged the public to try its Socket Overload Calculator to check they are not plugging too many appliances in at once below…
The Socket Calculator has been brought to you by Electrical Safety First.
For more safety information visit https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk
The charity also offered the following electrical safety advice…
- Only use one socket extension lead per socket and never plug an extension lead into another extension lead
- Use a multi-way bar extension lead rather than a block adaptor, as this will put less strain on the wall socket. Some block adaptors do not have a fuse, which increases the risk of overloading and fire.
- Consider having additional sockets installed if you regularly rely on extension leads and adaptors – and use a registered electrician to carry out the installation work
- Check regularly for the following danger signs:
- a smell of hot plastic or burning near an appliance or socket
- sparks or smoke coming from a plug or appliance
- blackness or scorch marks around a socket or plug, or on an appliance
- damaged or frayed leads
- coloured wire inside leads showing at the plug or anywhere else
- melted plastic on appliance casings or leads
- fuses that blow or circuit-breakers that operate for no obvious reason